• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ability buffs/nerfs for Sword and Shield

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
In my opinion, I think giving their abilities to some other pokemon can help balance it out (like they did with the weather summoning abilities).

I think it should personally go like this:
Electric Surge: Zebstrika, Stunfisk or Electrobe
Psychic Surge: Grumpig, Musharna or Beheyeem
Grassy Surge: Gogoat, Levanny, Maractus, or Florges
Misty Surge: Carbink, Morelull or Wigglytuff
I think it would increase their viability without making them too hax.
Florges would probably get Misty Surge seeing as it's a Fairy type. Tapu Fini is the only Tapu that didn't get its primary type as a Surge, probably because they wanted a Misty Terrain setter.

Fairy Queen

Lover of the Fairy type
Florges would probably get Misty Surge seeing as it's a Fairy type. Tapu Fini is the only Tapu that didn't get its primary type as a Surge, probably because they wanted a Misty Terrain setter.
Agreed that it makes more sense for a fairy type to get misty terrain, but Florges' whole theme centers around Grass types. Both of its abilities directly affect and assist Grass types. Next, its line learns more grass type moves than fairy type (it even weirdly enough learns Synthesis). It learns Grassy terrain by level up as well.

I could easily see it getting Grassy Surge to further its grass type support abilities.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Fix Slow Start so Regigigas can finally be useful - two turns would be nice, or it starts out with halved stats, but each turn, they raise by one (and stops after five turns, so stats go from -3 debuff (equivalent to harshly lowered stats) to +2 buff (equivalent to sharply raised)
-3 is 40% of stats, not 50%. Also, way to break Regigigas. If Slow Start works with stat stages like that all you need to do is run it next to Topsy-Turvy Malamar. Hit it with the Topsy-Turvy on turn one, and then Regigigas is suddenly at +3 and goes to +6 in three turns. And from personal experience I know that at +4 Regigigas is already powerful enough to OHKO almost everything in the entire game, except for defensive behemoths like Mega Aggron, Avalugg, Regirock, Mega Steelix, Multiscale Lugia, and Giratina-Origin. Regigigas at +4 has more attack than Snorlax has at +6. I've run Regigigas next to Simple Beam Xatu (as in, Xatu uses Simple Beam on Regigigas and Regigigas uses Swagger on Xatu in the same turn. Swagger gets bounced back and Regigigas goes to +4 due to its Simple ability). This would be way more powerful as it doesn't rely on the accuracy of Swagger, Malamar is bulkier than Xatu, Regigigas can attack in the first turn, it's not as Intimidate weak (Simple amplifies Intimidate impact), Regigigas can run something other than a Persim Berry, and Regigigas also gets a huge speed boost.

Alternatively, even without the Malamar, Regigigas gets Psych Up so it could simply use Psych Up on the first turn to negate its stat drops and then essentially become a superpowered Speed Boost pokémon that also gains attack boosts.

Last edited:

TheWanderingMist

-3 is 40% of stats, not 50%. Also, way to break Regigigas. If Slow Start works with stat stages like that all you need to do is run it next to Topsy-Turvy Malamar. Hit it with the Topsy-Turvy on turn one, and then Regigigas is suddenly at +3 and goes to +6 in three turns. And from personal experience I know that at +4 Regigigas is already powerful enough to OHKO almost everything in the entire game, except for defensive behemoths like Mega Aggron, Avalugg, Regirock, Mega Steelix, Multiscale Lugia, and Giratina-Origin. Regigigas at +4 has more attack than Snorlax has at +6. I've run Regigigas next to Simple Beam Xatu (as in, Xatu uses Simple Beam on Regigigas and Regigigas uses Swagger on Xatu in the same turn. Swagger gets bounced back and Regigigas goes to +4 due to its Simple ability). This would be way more powerful as it doesn't rely on the accuracy of Swagger, Malamar is bulkier than Xatu, Regigigas can attack in the first turn, it's not as Intimidate weak (Simple amplifies Intimidate impact), Regigigas can run something other than a Persim Berry, and Regigigas also gets a huge speed boost.

Alternatively, even without the Malamar, Regigigas gets Psych Up so it could simply use Psych Up on the first turn to negate its stat drops and then essentially become a superpowered Speed Boost pokémon that also gains attack boosts.
That said, Slow Start could probably be brought down to 3 turns from 5 turns, seeing as Regigigas lacks both recovery and protection entirely.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
That said, Slow Start could probably be brought down to 3 turns from 5 turns, seeing as Regigigas lacks both recovery and protection entirely.
I don't think the turn limits are really what hinder Regigigas the most. Granted, I primarily play doubles and for Regigigas to have any viability you need to just get rid of that Slow Start ability somehow. That Simple Beam strat I posted is one way, another one that I'm currently working on is Skill Swap Spinda to get Contrary on it, which would make it effectively immune to Intimidate and allow it to set up with Superpower (and Spinda's Fake Tears). Regigigas suffers a bit in doubles in that it needs some kind of setup to get rid of Slow Start and get it going, but doubles is dominated by Intimidate which is often best neutered by switching around a bit, which Regigigas can't do without losing its setup. Not only that, lacking Protect means that if you go for a setup on it it tends to get double-targeted by enemies and there isn't too much it can do about it other than just power through. And it lacks spread damage on power hits. It gets Earthquake and Rock Slide, but nothing with STAB, which means it can get played around with Protects of the enemy if they can read what you're targeting. And Regigigas often wants to run Drain Punch so it can sustain itself, it wants Return so it has STAB, it wants Knock Off to hit Ghosts, and then you've already got somewhat of a full moveset.

If I could buff Regigigas I'd leave Slow Start alone, I'd give Regigigas a couple of small stat boosts and give a big buff to Crush Grip. Like, ramp up the max base power to 150, similar to Eruption and Water Spout, and make it target two adjacent opponents at once rather than being single-target. That'd give it a massive STAB move to threaten enemy teams with and make it harder to play around with Protect. Spread damage is vital if you go for lots of power in one pokémon. I suppose for singles you could also give it Rest so it could stall out the Slow Start a bit better.

And for doubles, a changing environment would also help it out. Right now it's often dominated by Fake Out and Intimidate, especially with Incineroar being around (although Hitmontop can do that too), but nerfs to Intimidate, perhaps some Mist setting ability, stuff like that would already bring it a bit more into viability. It's one of the most setup-dependent pokémon out there in doubles, but if that setup goes well it can also be quite dangerous.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Unnerve: Now affects all consumable held items, such as Focus Sash and Weakness Policy.

Intimidate: Attack debuff is reset when the Pokemon with Intimidate leaves the field or is KOed.

Regenerator: Only activates if the Pokemon was on the field for at least a full turn.

Water Compaction: Gives immunity to Water-type moves, but the Defense boost only triggers once from Water-type multi hit moves.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I wish they’d rework Zen Mode Darmanitan into something more efficient and that gives me a reason to use it over Sheer Force Life Orb Flare Blitz Darmanitan

Acer11

In my opinion, I think giving their abilities to some other pokemon can help balance it out (like they did with the weather summoning abilities).

I think it should personally go like this:
Electric Surge: Zebstrika, Stunfisk or Electrobe
Psychic Surge: Grumpig, Musharna or Beheyeem
Grassy Surge: Gogoat, Levanny, Maractus, or Florges
Misty Surge: Carbink, Morelull or Wigglytuff
I think it would increase their viability without making them too hax.

Zebstrika, Stunfisk, Electrode, Grumpig, Musharna, Beeheeyem, Leavanny, Maractus, Morelull, and Wigglytuff already have three abilities counting hidden abilities. So there's no way that they can get those abilities.

Fairy Queen

Lover of the Fairy type
Zebstrika, Stunfisk, Electrode, Grumpig, Musharna, Beeheeyem, Leavanny, Maractus, Morelull, and Wigglytuff already have three abilities counting hidden abilities. So there's no way that they can get those abilities.
I was obviously implying that this ability replaces another one (like they did with the weather abilities this gen for vanilluxe and pelipper.

Zebstrika: Replace Lightning Rod
Stunfisk: Replace Limber
Electrobe: Replace Soundproof
Grumpig: Replace Own Tempo
Musharna: Replace Telepathy
Beheeyem: Replace Telepathy
Leavanny: Replace Overcoat
Maractus: Replace Water Absorb
Morelull: Replace Rain Dish
Wigglytuff: Replace Frisk

On the topic of Regigigas, why dont they just get rid of Slow Start already? Regigigas isn't overpowered in the current metagame anymore, especially when you have things like Primal Groudon and Mega Rayquaza and Geomancy Xerneas. It also needs to be a little differentiated from Slaking. They have the same stats and a hindering ability, the only difference is one is a LEGEND AND TRIO MASTER. They need to treat it as such.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Klutz should prevent all Pokemon on the field from using items instead of just the user. As is it's pretty gimmicky and situational, but if it can shut down other players from using item boosts it could actually be pretty useful.

Also Run Away should allow you to switch/run even when trapped by moves/abilities such as Mean Look, Spider Web, Arena Trap, and Shadow Tag.

TheWanderingMist

I wish they’d rework Zen Mode Darmanitan into something more efficient and that gives me a reason to use it over Sheer Force Life Orb Flare Blitz Darmanitan
That's easy. Just make it work like Power Construct so it doesn't switch back when it recovers health.

Last edited:

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I'm thinking that Dark and Flying types would get an immunity to Intimidate.
If any type is going to be given an immunity to Intimidate, I think it should be Fighting. Both Dark and Flying already have immunities (Psychic and Prankster-boosted moves in Dark's case, Ground and non-Stealth Rock entry hazards in Flying's case), while Fighting currently does not. In addition, it makes sense thematically as Fighting-types tend to be honorable and stoic, and would probably be a lot less likely to be intimidated than most other types. It would also make sense balance-wise as Fighting types tend to be physical attackers and would generally appreciate being immune to Intimidate more than some other types.

Last edited:

TheWanderingMist

I'm confused as to how Flying types would get immunity to Intimidate. And Dark types are "evil" and therefore "cowardly", so Intimidate should work better on them than on other types.

Fairy Queen

Lover of the Fairy type

Agreed. I personally wish they just created it as a separate form rather than an in battle form. The reason this form doesn't work while Power Construction does is because:

a) Zygarde is a lot bulkier overall, while Darmanitan is very frail
b) Zygarde goes from a bulky physical attacker to an even bulkier physical attacker while Darmanitan goes from a fast physical attacker to a slow special attacker, making it very hard to build a set for it, as Flare Blitz is useless on Zen Mode Dar while Flamethrower is near useless on regular Dar
c) It is far too slow to make use of the switch as it will almost always be KO'd before it can even attack after switching forms
d) It learns very little moves to actually make use of its new typing and special attacking stat (Psychic, Flamethrower, Grass Knot, would the best and basically only options you can run) and it only has Work Up to boost its special attack and nothing outside Flame Charge to boost its speed or lower the opponents speed as it doesn't learn Thunder wave or Trick Room)
e) The fact that you are REQUIRED to use Zen Mode at half health, and only half health, diminishes its usefulness in battle as it is almost always one hit ko'd or two hit ko'd under half health

It seriously needs to be reworked, and again, I really wish they just created a separate form or evolution but make it difficult to get.

In addition to the Fighting mentioned above, I also think Bug could be immune to intimidate as well, seeing as bugs aren't really advanced enough to comprehend intimidation tactics

DannyDark

In addition to the Fighting mentioned above, I also think Bug could be immune to intimidate as well, seeing as bugs aren't really advanced enough to comprehend intimidation tactics

See, I'd say that Bug is one of the types that is most suited to intimidation.. and, in real-life terms, it's bugs that use a lot of intimidation tactics.
Whether it's caterpillars, wasps or arachnids (which I'm placing alongside bugs) a hell of a lot of varieties use coloration and patterns to intimidate predators.

Like you say, how much of it they actually comprehend as opposed to evolutionary and instinctual response.. we don't know. But seeing as bugs are seen as relatively meek, weak and are generally at the bottom of the food chain... I think them being intimidated makes more sense, personally.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
See, I'd say that Bug is one of the types that is most suited to intimidation.. and, in real-life terms, it's bugs that use a lot of intimidation tactics.
Whether it's caterpillars, wasps or arachnids (which I'm placing alongside bugs) a hell of a lot of varieties use coloration and patterns to intimidate predators.

Like you say, how much of it they actually comprehend as opposed to evolutionary and instinctual response.. we don't know. But seeing as bugs are seen as relatively meek, weak and are generally at the bottom of the food chain... I think them being intimidated makes more sense, personally.

In some cases, perhaps, as bugs tend to be more instinct-driven and obviously are incapable of rationalizing fear and "overcoming" it. However, in some cases certain bugs (specifically eusocial organisms such as ants) are literally too stupid to feel fear, at least on an individual basis. Ants are essentially the epitome of collectivism and as such individual ants have little to no self-preservation instincts, and act entirely for the benefit of their colony, even if it means sacrificing themselves as an individual. Long story short, trying to intimidate an individual ant isn't going to work.

That being said, I think the whole "bugs not being intelligent enough to understand fear" doesn't hold any water at all when it comes to Pokemon, because in the Pokemon universe, bugs clearly are intelligent enough to understand fear. They can understand and obey commands, and they have individual personalities and characteristics, unlike real-world eusocial organisms. Even if you remove a Pokemon like Durant from its colony, it still presumably can be trained, and it still presumably can understand your commands, so it clearly has a degree of individual agency, whereas an individual ant does not. You can't train an ant, and an ant is capable of comprehending very little on its own, separate from its hive.