• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Abortion. Right or Wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wants_latios_lots

I miss you Maddie <3
sadly the thing that separates them isn't present. equating 'will' with 'is' is an equivocation fallacy and we are merely discussing the time before it even happens only.
They're separate from each other because they have different genetic coding. An arm has the same genes as the person it's attached to; an embryo has a genetic pattern distinct from its parents. A combination of the two, true, but still separate.
heh, i'm not even challenging the idea of it 'living'; i'm just saying it's pretty much an arm.
Pretty much =/= is. Might that be the equivocation you were talking about earlier? [I'm actually asking, I'm new to debates. I don't know all the terms very well.] An arm and an embryo could be considered similar, but they're not.

But you agree that an embryo is living, then? Oh, neat.

ChronaMew

Demonic Warrior
Also, stop putting potential in this argument, it has no place here. The fetus has the potential to be human?

A baby has the potential to be 21 years old one day, so let's let it drink and smoke

A child has the potential to turn into a murderer, so let's jail him up before it happens

A woman has the potential to sex-change into a man, so let's let her use the man's washrooms

See, I can do it too!

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
They're separate from each other because they have different genetic coding. An arm has the same genes as the person it's attached to; an embryo has a genetic pattern distinct from its parents. A combination of the two, true, but still separate.
oh now it's simply a different genetic code? well, so does a tapeworm.

oh, and i know what you're about to say next: "a tapeworm isnt a human genetically"; but an embryo only has the potential to be a future human; i don't consider embryos 'human'... they just have human genes.

wants_latios_lots said:
Pretty much =/= is. Might that be the equivocation you were talking about earlier? [I'm actually asking, I'm new to debates. I don't know all the terms very well.] An arm and an embryo could be considered similar, but they're not.
i don't know what you mean by 'pretty much' but the thing is, potential has no place in this debate. yes, we know that potentially one can be a human and one can be an arm, but that's not important when it comes to when you're actually aborting it.

besides, potential is a fallacious argument anyway. there's potential in every single sperm but they die in your body every minute.

sockyskarmie

Humans have brains. A zygote is technically human. So, zygotes have brains. . . .No.

I'm sorry, but your logic sounds like that to me. I'd like evidence of a zygote having a soul (more mature humans show enough evidence).

what exactly is the definition of "a soul"?

wants_latios_lots

I miss you Maddie <3
Also, stop putting potential in this argument, it has no place here. The fetus has the potential to be human?
I won't stop, because potential does have a place here. This is a debate about a developmental stage in human development. Development, potential, they intertwine quite beautifully, and there's no need to stop using potential as an argument.
A baby has the potential to be 21 years old one day, so let's let it drink and smoke
This is simply a possibility; not an absolute. The zygote, under normal circumstances, in biological terms, will become a human. Your baby might become a chain smoking alcoholic, but there's no certainty in it. None whatsoever.
A child has the potential to turn into a murderer, so let's jail him up before it happens
Again, I'm not talking about uncertainties here. Unlike your potential murderer, my potential is a definite. A zygote, an embryo, under normal biologically accepted circumstances, will become a human. Your example shows no such certainty.
A woman has the potential to sex-change into a man, so let's let her use the man's washrooms
No. Again. Maybe I should change my stance, since potential apears to have become a bit unclear. I apologize for that, but let me say that

When a human female is impregnated by a human male, and, according to all biological definitions, nothing is interrupted in the development of the fetus- this could include mutations, physical harm to the embryo leading to a termination, or any other unforseen complication in the development of the aforementoned fetus- it will become a human being.

There is no factual basis that could support a claim that we should throw kids in jail because they could become murderers. Do you see the difference between the situations? Honestly. I could try to explain it better if you need to. I just think this is some good fun.
See, I can do it too!
Job well done, congratulations? No need to be snarky about it.
oh now it's simply a different genetic code? well, so does a tapeworm.
A tapeworm isn't a human genetica- hey, wait a minute!!
oh, and i know what you're about to say next: "a tapeworm isnt a human genetically"; but an embryo only has the potential to be a future human; i don't consider embryos 'human'... they just have human genes.
Ohhh, pretty sneaky sis!
Joking aside, offspring are in a strange limbo area, because they're not clones, but they're not entirely separate from their parents.
What I've been taught about parasitism is that a parasite is an organism of a separate species living near, on, or in another organism from a separate species, harming the host in some way for its own gain.
The main point is, the parasite is of a different species. An embryo is a human, genetically, so from what I've learned, it's not a parasite on the mother.

i don't know what you mean by 'pretty much' but the thing is, potential has no place in this debate. yes, we know that potentially one can be a human and one can be an arm, but that's not important when it comes to when you're actually aborting it.
You used the term "pretty much" when you said "an embryo and an arm are pretty much the same thing." Saying
"they're pretty much the same thing"
doesn't mean:
"They are the same thing". But we could put that aside, I don't really mind that much.
besides, potential is a fallacious argument anyway. there's potential in every single sperm but they die in your body every minute.
The human sperm was designed to give the egg as much chance as possible to become fertilized; there's nothing that says each one will become life. In fact, it's quite the opposite: so many are produced because so few of them will actually make it to fertilization. And again, a zygote will become a human, given that there are no life-ending mutations or what have you. It's a definite. And I hate qualifying this statement all the time, but I feel I must say "under normal circumstances."

I completely agree with you ChronaMew. :)

latios. Could you please answer my question? ._.
Me? What question was that, because I think I may have earlier. Or, at least I tried to. Sorry! :D
what exactly is the definition of "a soul"?
Stop bringing up souls. But:

"The soul, according to many religious and philosophical beliefs, is the self-awareness, or consciousness, unique to a particular living being, defined as being distinct from the body and survives the death of the body. In these beliefs the soul is thought to incorporate the inner awareness of each living being, and to be the true basis for consciousness, rather than the brain or any other material or natural part of the biological organism. Some religions and philosophies on the other hand believe in the soul having a material component, and some have even tried to establish the weight of the soul. Souls are usually considered to be immortal. Many beliefs hold they exist prior to incarnation."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soul
If you'll accept Wikipedia as a reliable source. I would.

ChronaMew

Demonic Warrior
This is simply a possibility; not an absolute. The zygote, under normal circumstances, in biological terms, will become a human. Your baby might become a chain smoking alcoholic, but there's no certainty in it. None whatsoever.

...You honestly think that the baby has less of a chance of one day being 21 than a fetus does of growing up? I'm not talking about it becoming a chain smoker/alcoholic, I'm saying that by your logic it should be legal because one day it WILL be 21.

I won't stop, because potential does have a place here. This is a debate about a developmental stage in human development. Development, potential, they intertwine quite beautifully, and there's no need to stop using potential as an argument.

Right, let's see what you've got

Again, I'm not talking about uncertainties here. Unlike your potential murderer, my potential is a definite. A zygote, an embryo, under normal biologically accepted circumstances, will become a human. Your example shows no such certainty.

Again, your side isn't definite either. The fetus will ONLY develop if the mother takes care of herself and even then it's flushed out a lot of the time naturally via a miscarriage.

Again, it is NO definite. Under said "normal biologically accepted circumstances", odds are it would be flushed out either way.

http://www.drspock.com/article/0,1510,4444,00.html - I'll quote something from this site, "About one of eight known pregnancies is lost in the first trimester. Actually, this number is an underestimate, since some women miscarry before they know they are pregnant, and interpret the miscarriage bleeding as a menstrual period."

Stop giving it such a high possibility of survival, odds are it might die in the first trimester either way so some abortions could just be speeding up the inevitable.

No. Again. Maybe I should change my stance, since potential apears to have become a bit unclear. I apologize for that, but let me say that

When a human female is impregnated by a human male, and, according to all biological definitions, nothing is interrupted in the development of the fetus- this could include mutations, physical harm to the embryo leading to a termination, or any other unforseen complication in the development of the aforementoned fetus- it will become a human being.

There is no factual basis that could support a claim that we should throw kids in jail because they could become murderers. Do you see the difference between the situations? Honestly. I could try to explain it better if you need to. I just think this is some good fun.
And there is also no factual basis that a fetus is as developed as a human, that it will survive the pregnancy, and that it will grow up in a good home. I could keep this up too :p

Job well done, congratulations? No need to be snarky about it.

I just wanted to feel special :(

The human sperm was designed to give the egg as much chance as possible to become fertilized; there's nothing that says each one will become life. In fact, it's quite the opposite: so many are produced because so few of them will actually make it to fertilization. And again, a zygote will become a human, given that there are no life-ending mutations or what have you. It's a definite. And I hate qualifying this statement all the time, but I feel I must say "under normal circumstances."

Just felt like replying to this point - Many sperm die on the way to the egg, just as I showed many fetuses miscarry either before implanting in the uterus or shortly after. What the heck do you define as normal circumstances if a lot of them end up dying either way?

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
latios said:
The main point is, the parasite is of a different species. An embryo is a human, genetically, so from what I've learned, it's not a parasite on the mother.
it's still an entirely different zygote with its own DNA sucking out the mother's nutrients. it being human doesnt make it any less... well, 'dependent'.

latios said:
in that case with so many naturally aborted fertilized eggs due to periods, abortion should feel fine to you!

(s.i.e)

★skydragon★
my opinion about abotion is a bit devided since they both carry advantages and disadvantages, the advantage of abortion is that it can be used for research and the bad thing of abortion is well... it's simply killing a baby and thus a new life ad that can be seen as a bad thing.
what i think is that this option should be for the mother and dad only and nobody else, if they find it bad then it's bad and there will be a baby after some time but if they don't want it for a good reason which can be alot of things to keep it simple then the unborn child should be removed unless the child is able to be adopted by others, in that case i think it's better to let the child be born so it can have a full life from a little baby to an old grown person like everybody.

Last edited:

wants_latios_lots

I miss you Maddie <3
...You honestly think that the baby has less of a chance of one day being 21 than a fetus does of growing up? I'm not talking about it becoming a chain smoker/alcoholic, I'm saying that by your logic it should be legal because one day it WILL be 21.
I'm not arguing that they'll live to be 21, that can't be predicted. I'm arguing that it has a great chance of being born. What I mean is...well, alright. Here.

In any standard Biology book, under Human Reproduction, it will explain the process of the standard pregnancy cycle of an animal, or a human woman in this case. It doesn't go through and say "...if we're lucky, the fetus will develop." This is because the development and birth of the fetus are natural events, what should happen. Follow? If it were unlikely, or out of the ordinary, for a fetus to mature to birth, then it would be the other way around. The book would say "Most of the time a fetus will abort. However, sometimes, a baby is born....blahblahblahboring."

Now, let's flip to the "spores" section of the textbook. The book will say that a spore-producing species will produce as many spores as possible because most of them will not grow to maturity, or to any developmental stage past a spore.
So, what the biology book teaches is that spores usually don't mature.
What it's teaching in the human lfe cycle is that fetuses normally will develop to birth, at least. And that's what should happen. There is so much energy expended in the creation of a human fetus, it would be highly unlikely, under evloutionary predictions, that it would be normal for a human fetus to abort. On the other hand, litle energy is spent creating hundreds of spores, so it would be normal for many of them to not grow.
Again, your side isn't definite either. The fetus will ONLY develop if the mother takes care of herself and even then it's flushed out a lot of the time naturally via a miscarriage.
But here we go, via a miscarriage, not a medical abortion.

Again, it is NO definite. Under said "normal biologically accepted circumstances", odds are it would be flushed out either way.
Either way. As in: [fill in the blank]

http://www.drspock.com/article/0,1510,4444,00.html - I'll quote something from this site, "About one of eight known pregnancies is lost in the first trimester. Actually, this number is an underestimate, since some women miscarry before they know they are pregnant, and interpret the miscarriage bleeding as a menstrual period."
And yet, this is not due in part or at all to the meddling of the mother [as a medical abortion].

If there is something inherently wrong with the DNA of the child, if the child isn't producing, I don't know, red blood cells or something grossly devastating like that, then it should miscarriage. That's natural, that's evolution at work. What isn't natural, however, is aborting a child simply because it might have hardships in life, or that it might be a burden on society.

Stop giving it such a high possibility of survival, odds are it might die in the first trimester either way so some abortions could just be speeding up the inevitable.
No actually, even with a 1/8 chance of natural abortion, odds are it will live. That's just semantics.

And speeding up the inevitable? What kind of thought process is that? "The fetus might abort itself, so let's get rid of it right now to avoid that." That's what I'm getting from this. Please correct me in this interpretation.

And there is also no factual basis that a fetus is as developed as a human, that it will survive the pregnancy, and that it will grow up in a good home. I could keep this up too :p
But there is factual basis in the fact that it has human DNA, that it is a living thing, and that as far as I know, that makes it human. So to take its life in a medical abortion is, as I suppose I made claim to earlier, immoral and a detriment to society. And detrimental to the process of evolution at that.

I just wanted to feel special :(
Uh..well.. *cookie* :D?

Just felt like replying to this point - Many sperm die on the way to the egg, just as I showed many fetuses miscarry either before implanting in the uterus or shortly after. What the heck do you define as normal circumstances if a lot of them end up dying either way?
Normal cirumstances for the zygote, not the sperm. It's normal for many sperm to die off. It's not normal to see only the same ratio of fetuses to die off.
it's still an entirely different zygote with its own DNA sucking out the mother's nutrients. it being human doesnt make it any less... well, 'dependent'.
Well, it's a different organism, but same species. It's dependent, but it's not a parasite, it's not an arm, it's a human. The fetus doesn't fall under my definiton of "parasite".
in that case with so many naturally aborted fertilized eggs due to periods, abortion should feel fine to you!
Are we talking about the 1/8 statistic again? I'm fine with natural abortions; there's nothing one can do about that. It's an evolutionary process, and there's no point in bringing it up, because it's an entirely diferent process than a medical abortion. That'd be like me bringing up partial birth abortions, they're just different things.

Oh wait...hoo man, I guess I ended up siding with the anti-abortionists after all.
Oh, GhostAnime, I know it's a dorky username, but you could put WLL instead of "latios". Don't want people mistaking me for the actual Latios. ;P

Last edited:

ChronaMew

Demonic Warrior
I'm not arguing that they'll live to be 21, that can't be predicted. I'm arguing that it has a great chance of being born. What I mean is...well, alright. Here.

In any standard Biology book, under Human Reproduction, it will explain the process of the standard pregnancy cycle of an animal, or a human woman in this case. It doesn't go through and say "...if we're lucky, the fetus will develop." This is because the development and birth of the fetus are natural events, what should happen. Follow? If it were unlikely, or out of the ordinary, for a fetus to mature to birth, then it would be the other way around. The book would say "Most of the time a fetus will abort. However, sometimes, a baby is born....blahblahblahboring."

Now, let's flip to the "spores" section of the textbook. The book will say that a spore-producing species will produce as many spores as possible because most of them will not grow to maturity, or to any developmental stage past a spore.
So, what the biology book teaches is that spores usually don't mature.
What it's teaching in the human lfe cycle is that fetuses normally will develop to birth, at least. And that's what should happen. There is so much energy expended in the creation of a human fetus, it would be highly unlikely, under evloutionary predictions, that it would be normal for a human fetus to abort. On the other hand, litle energy is spent creating hundreds of spores, so it would be normal for many of them to not grow.

You say a fetus has a great chance of becoming a baby so it should have the right to life. I say a baby has a great chance of becoming 21 years old so it should have the right to smoke, drink, and drive a car (Though hopefully not at the same time)

And yet, this is not due in part or at all to the meddling of the mother [as a medical abortion].

If there is something inherently wrong with the DNA of the child, if the child isn't producing, I don't know, red blood cells or something grossly devastating like that, then it should miscarriage. That's natural, that's evolution at work. What isn't natural, however, is aborting a child simply because it might have hardships in life, or that it might be a burden on society.

The main reason is for the woman to have the right to her body. What's the difference between it being miscarried early on (Which, during the first trimester usually has NOTHING to do with genetic defects, it could be for the tiniest reason such as it missing the uterine walls), and a doctor removing it early on? Either way, it still stops developing in the first trimester.

No actually, even with a 1/8 chance of natural abortion, odds are it will live. That's just semantics.

And speeding up the inevitable? What kind of thought process is that? "The fetus might abort itself, so let's get rid of it right now to avoid that." That's what I'm getting from this. Please correct me in this interpretation.

I mostly brought up the point to counter your thought on it being a definite potential to grow up. What I mean is - If there is (or was) a semi-decent chance of it dying anyhow, and the mother does not want it, why force her to keep it?

But there is factual basis in the fact that it has human DNA, that it is a living thing, and that as far as I know, that makes it human. So to take its life in a medical abortion is, as I suppose I made claim to earlier, immoral and a detriment to society. And detrimental to the process of evolution at that.

My arm also has human DNA and is a living thing. Hell, it's more living than the fetus, since it reacts to things like pain. The fetus does not respond to stimuli, which I think was one of the things you need to live. Too tired to look it up right now, but you get what I'm saying.

Also - A lot of natural abortions ARE caused in part by the woman - If she was drunk or high when she got pregnant, it might cause the fetus to mess up, or if the woman falls down the stairs it might rupture it a little. Where do you draw the line at "natural"? Abortion is simply a safer way of the woman to get rid of it.

wants_latios_lots

I miss you Maddie <3
You say a fetus has a great chance of becoming a baby so it should have the right to life. I say a baby has a great chance of becoming 21 years old so it should have the right to smoke, drink, and drive a car (Though hopefully not at the same time)
No, that's not quite what I'm saying. I'm saying that there is factual basis behind the claim that "a fetus will become a child". There's nothing biologically factual to spport the claim that the child will become a problem drinker. There may be sociological evidence, but there's nothing inherent in its genes or its chemical makeup to say that will turn it into an alcoholic.

The main reason is for the woman to have the right to her body. What's the difference between it being miscarried early on (Which, during the first trimester usually has NOTHING to do with genetic defects, it could be for the tiniest reason such as it missing the uterine walls), and a doctor removing it early on? Either way, it still stops developing in the first trimester.
I was using genetic defects as an example, but you're right; any deformation could result in a natural abortion. But malformations in the fetus don't account for all abortions. There are many people who just don't or can't deal with the life change. That's not to say they throw caution to the wind and carve out their insides at will; far from it. I'm just saying that there are abortions of what would be perfectly healthy babies simply to avoid a disastrous life change, nothing more.

If the baby is going to naturally abort, especially in the first trimester, then is it even medically advisable to induce a medical abortion? I'm honestly not sure, but it doesn't seem necessary to abort a first trimester fetus if its going to naturally abort anyway. But correct me if I'm wrong.

Her body; no. We've been through this, it's a different organism than her. Same species, different individual, dependent on the mother, but not the mother. It's not her body. Obviously it's not as simple as this, but to say it's her body is just untrue.

I mostly brought up the point to counter your thought on it being a definite potential to grow up. What I mean is - If there is (or was) a semi-decent chance of it dying anyhow, and the mother does not want it, why force her to keep it?
Oh, alright. *phew* But the thing is, it's a moral question at that point. If that child has a semi-decent chance of aborting,then it conversely means it has a chance to be born as well. If it's a living thing, a human at that, it wouldn't be right to kill it. But this is definitely one of those gray areas that keep me hovering around the fence on the whole issue.

My arm also has human DNA and is a living thing. Hell, it's more living than the fetus, since it reacts to things like pain. The fetus does not respond to stimuli, which I think was one of the things you need to live. Too tired to look it up right now, but you get what I'm saying.
Let's not go back to the embryo=arm puzzle. The arm does not reproduce: it doesn't have the capability to produce more arms. The Arm is not a species, it is an accesory to a species. It is not living, because it doesn't meet that requirement of life.
As for responsiveness in a fetus, hold on, let me go look that up, it was something ??????said:

Responsiveness-Can be seen in mothers who abuse drugs and alcohol. If a mother abuses such, it responds to the stimuli through an improper development.

Also - A lot of natural abortions ARE caused in part by the woman - If she was drunk or high when she got pregnant, it might cause the fetus to mess up, or if the woman falls down the stairs it might rupture it a little. Where do you draw the line at "natural"? Abortion is simply a safer way of the woman to get rid of it.
Those aren't what I would call natural. A natural abortion in my book is one that is destined to happen regardless of what the mother might do. This could be due in part to, like you said, a malformed organ, or genetic miscoding. An alcohol overdose or falling down the stairs are not natural. It's hard to draw lines, because like I said, it's not a black and white issue, but to say that alcohol poisoning is natural is not where the line should be.

Last edited:

ChronaMew

Demonic Warrior
No, that's not quite what I'm saying. I'm saying that there is factual basis behind the claim that "a fetus will become a child". There's nothing biologically factual to spport the claim that the child will become a problem drinker. There may be sociological evidence, but there's nothing inherent in its genes or its chemical makeup to say that will turn it into an alcoholic.

I never said ANYTHING about the child being a problem drinker or alcoholic. I'm saying that there is factual support that he will be 21 one day so it should be legal. Fine, I'll use another argument - Babies should be allowed to vote since they will be 18 one day.

I was using genetic defects as an example, but you're right; any deformation could result in a natural abortion. But malformations in the fetus don't account for all abortions. There are many people who just don't or can't deal with the life change. That's not to say they throw caution to the wind and carve out their insides at will; far from it. I'm just saying that there are abortions of what would be perfectly healthy babies simply to avoid a disastrous life change, nothing more.

If the baby is going to naturally abort, especially in the first trimester, then is it even medically advisable to induce a medical abortion? I'm honestly not sure, but it doesn't seem necessary to abort a first trimester fetus if its going to naturally abort anyway. But correct me if I'm wrong.

Her body; no. We've been through this, it's a different organism than her. Same species, different individual, dependent on the mother, but not the mother. It's not her body. Obviously it's not as simple as this, but to say it's her body is just untrue.

Well, instead of trying to ban abortion, why not strive for a machine that can emulate the uterus and let those fetuses grow? You said it yourself, some people simply don't want the kids. I simply believe the woman's right to her body is more important than the fetus. It is technically not part of her body, but if she doesn't want it, why would she have to keep it?

I'll try to explain my general view on this, by comparing it to a news article I once read -

Click

A homeless woman once lived for a years in some man's closet, somehow undetected. She was discovered when the man noticed he was losing food from his fridge, etc. He called the cops to investigate and they found her, and kicked her out of the house.

Now equate this - That homeless woman = fetus, the house owner = the woman, and the house = the woman's body. The man has the right to decide what goes in his house, and had the right to kick out the woman, even though she had nowhere else to go. I simply think that the woman should have equal treatment of her own body as this man has of his house.

Like I said, if you can find an alternate solution for the fetus, go ahead and try to employ it, I simply believe that the woman shouldn't be forced to birth and care for something she doesn't want.

Oh, alright. *phew* But the thing is, it's a moral question at that point. If that child has a semi-decent chance of aborting,then it conversely means it has a chance to be born as well. If it's a living thing, a human at that, it wouldn't be right to kill it. But this is definitely one of those gray areas that keep me hovering around the fence on the whole issue.

Even if it has a decent chance of being born, why do its rights outweigh the rights of the woman to her own body? Last I checked, there's no actual law against intoxicating yourself while pregnant, wouldn't you rather an addict get an abortion than suffer a potentially addicted and sick baby if it survived the pregnancy?

Responsiveness-Can be seen in mothers who abuse drugs and alcohol. If a mother abuses such, it responds to the stimuli through an improper development.

And if you pour acid on a rock, it responds by melting. I have a different view of a response - An actual reaction to something, instead of just being destroyed by the addition of things that can destroy it. Last I checked, that affects non-living things too.

The fetus doesn't CARE about living, or react whatsoever. Contrast this to the reaction you get from a bug - If you get near it, it reacts by running away or curling up into a ball, or anything. A hungry baby cries when it wants food, for example. The fetus just slowly grows over time unless something happens to it, similarly how moss grows unless you light it on fire.

Those aren't what I would call natural. A natural abortion in my book is one that is destined to happen regardless of what the mother might do. This could be due in part to, like you said, a malformed organ, or genetic miscoding. An alcohol overdose or falling down the stairs are not natural. It's hard to draw lines, because like I said, it's not a black and white issue, but to say that alcohol poisoning is natural is not where the line should be.

But it's hard to tell a forced miscarriage from an accidental one from a natural one. The fetus may have miscarried within its first few hours because of a genetic defect. Or, it could have not implanted itself in the uterine lining. Or, the mother didn't know that she was pregnant and got drunk. Or, the mother DID know that she was pregnant, and did something to try to get rid of it.

Unless you impose a law stating you can't drink before or after sexual intercourse, you can't really prosecute women on having possibly forced miscarriages, which is technically the same as having an abortion.

wants_latios_lots

I miss you Maddie <3
I never said ANYTHING about the child being a problem drinker or alcoholic. I'm saying that there is factual support that he will be 21 one day so it should be legal. Fine, I'll use another argument - Babies should be allowed to vote since they will be 18 one day.
Ohhhhhh. OK. The difference in those is in the status of the human. A fetus is either a living thing or not. From my perspective, it's not about the degree of its life that matters, its simply a matter of whether or not it s alive, and to me, it is. What you're arguing is development. A three year old does not have the mental capacity to handle the responsibility to vote. It will be able to eventually, but right now, it can't.
A human is either alive, or it isn't. Like a checklist, you either say yes or no.
The right to drink is given over time, like a 1-10 scale. At a seven on this imaginary scale, the human is getting closer to being able to vote, but it's not at ten on the scale yet.

Well, instead of trying to ban abortion, why not strive for a machine that can emulate the uterus and let those fetuses grow? You said it yourself, some people simply don't want the kids. I simply believe the woman's right to her body is more important than the fetus. It is technically not part of her body, but if she doesn't want it, why would she have to keep it?
Because the machines that can emulate the fetus, and the processes that do it are far too controversial and not near widespread enough to give to every aborted fetus.
Also, I hear pro-abortionists say all the time" Why let a baby be born into a hard life, or in a terrible orphanage?"
What would being born from a womb-machine or being a "test-tube baby" do to the kid? No mom, born out of machines, it'd be just as hard.
I feel that if she doesn't want it, then she should have to deal with the fact that, in all likelihood, she was responsible in part for it. Now, discounting the approximate 5% or rape-induced pregnancies, she shouldn't be allowed to get an abortion because she did something incredibly irresponsible with "her body."

It's her body, she had a choice, she chose to get pregnant.
Now, that's not to say that rape-induced pregnancies fall under the same guidelines, since its not her choice at that point. So again, here's a grey area. I don't know what I believe about abortion when it comes to rape, mostly because I don't know how it usually turns out. Do they keep the child, only to discover that they can't love it? Do they abort the child with no/regrets? I can't say. So as far as her body her choice goes, you know. Aside from rape, she had a choice, and she chose to be irresponsible with a life-changing aspect of her being.
I'll try to explain my general view on this, by comparing it to a news article I once read -

Click

A homeless woman once lived for a years in some man's closet, somehow undetected. She was discovered when the man noticed he was losing food from his fridge, etc. He called the cops to investigate and they found her, and kicked her out of the house.

Now equate this - That homeless woman = fetus, the house owner = the woman, and the house = the woman's body. The man has the right to decide what goes in his house, and had the right to kick out the woman, even though she had nowhere else to go. I simply think that the woman should have equal treatment of her own body as this man has of his house.
And the police are the doctors! This is actually a pretty spot-on analogy. Now we can equate the situations in metaphors, sure. But in reality, the two situations are completely different. [As a side note, congratulations to this woman for being so awesome. I'm impressed.]

The thing is, that woman has the capacity to fend for herself. I'm not speaking sociologically, I'm speaking in terms of nature. She has legs that can walk or run, she has a mouth that can chew. If she were put in a room with a deer and a shotgun (provided she isn't insane), she'll be able to shoot the deer and eat it. A fetus, on the other hand, can't fend for itself, so it is actually dependent on its mother. The homeless woman doesn't need the man, she could go into another house and repeat the process, or she can beg for food, or go to a homeless shelter.

Like I said, if you can find an alternate solution for the fetus, go ahead and try to employ it, I simply believe that the woman shouldn't be forced to birth and care for something she doesn't want.
I'm not saying I can find a new solution, I'm not that bright. I'm just saying that abortion is wrong. I'm saying something needs to change, and if there were a better system, I'd love it.
There are so many things wrong with the world that I accept because they can't be fixed so easily. Some of those being: dependency on oil, the homeless problem, illegal immigration, the theft of Native American land. They're all problems that I want fixed, but for right now, we can't, so I accept them. I disagree with abortion, and I'll fight to prove the immorality of it, but I have to accept that there's no better way yet. All I can do is try to bring attention to it, I guess.

Even if it has a decent chance of being born, why do its rights outweigh the rights of the woman to her own body? Last I checked, there's no actual law against intoxicating yourself while pregnant, wouldn't you rather an addict get an abortion than suffer a potentially addicted and sick baby if it survived the pregnancy?
Why should the rights of the mother outweigh the fetus? They're both human.
There probably should be a law against drinking while pregnant. Just because there's no law against something doesn't necessarily make it okay. And in fact, since the fetus is alive and human, then we could consider alcohol consumption poisoning another human being. Which I would hope is illegal. It'd be illegal to dump a shot of potassium cyanide into someone's drink at Starbuck's, so I guess it should be illegal to poison a fetus.

You could consider it like the army: by enlisting, you had the right to give up some of your rights. You had freedom of choice, and you chose to give up some freedoms. Weird loophole, right?

And if you pour acid on a rock, it responds by melting. I have a different view of a response - An actual reaction to something, instead of just being destroyed by the addition of things that can destroy it. Last I checked, that affects non-living things too.
But the rock doesn't cease to function. The rock isn't doing anything, its not functioning at all. It's existing. The rock particles aren't dividing to form new rock particles, the rock isn't getting positional information from its surroundings and growing accordingly.
The cells of a fetus will stop performing regular cell activities if sulfuric acid is poured on them. There's nothing you can chemically do to make those cells react after that. They'll never perform regular cell activity after the acid.

The fetus doesn't CARE about living, or react whatsoever. Contrast this to the reaction you get from a bug - If you get near it, it reacts by running away or curling up into a ball, or anything. A hungry baby cries when it wants food, for example. The fetus just slowly grows over time unless something happens to it, similarly how moss grows unless you light it on fire.
I don't care if the fetus isn't crying or laughing; it's alive. Just because it doesn't have a brain or a nervous system doesn't make it non-living. Trees don't have nervous systems or brains, they're living. The moss is alive too!! What are you saying here, that it's not? You may have just proven my point; that a living organism doesn't need to run away or cry when it is stimulated.
But it's hard to tell a forced miscarriage from an accidental one from a natural one. The fetus may have miscarried within its first few hours because of a genetic defect. Or, it could have not implanted itself in the uterine lining. Or, the mother didn't know that she was pregnant and got drunk. Or, the mother DID know that she was pregnant, and did something to try to get rid of it.

Unless you impose a law stating you can't drink before or after sexual intercourse, you can't really prosecute women on having possibly forced miscarriages, which is technically the same as having an abortion.
I'm not going to argue that there's injustice in the world. I'm not going to argue that illegalizing abortion would prevent all abortions. Going over the speed limit is illegal and yet, here we are. The best any law can do is to prevent people from doing harm to themselves or others. What I can safely assume, however, is that if abortions were illegalized, the numbers of abortions should decrease. As with any law, we can't expect the law to eliminate that behavior altogether. What it can do is deter it.

Again, there are many types of abortions, it's not that all of them would be illegal under some crazy law. And I'm not sure I'm endorsing the illegalization of abortion, because as of now, there's nothing to replace it, and illegalizing would increase the risk for mothers and children, with back alley abortions and home remedies of alcohol poisoning. So As I said earlier, I’m against the concept, and I’ll fight against the idea, but in practice, there’s nothing else. That can feasibly replace it. It’d be a mess.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
WLL said:
The fetus doesn't fall under my definiton of "parasite".
and your only reason for this is because it's a human? PLEASE! it sucks the nutrients out of the mother and depends on the mother to survive. in addition to having its own DNA; that's all it takes the be a parasite to be honest.

WLL said:
Are we talking about the 1/8 statistic again? I'm fine with natural abortions; there's nothing one can do about that. It's an evolutionary process, and there's no point in bringing it up, because it's an entirely diferent process than a medical abortion. That'd be like me bringing up partial birth abortions, they're just different things.
so what's the harm in doing something that is completely natural anyway? if it already happens naturally and the mother doesn't want it and its part of her body and it's sucking her nutrients, why shouldnt it be treated like a normal tapeworm?

Gym_Leader_Hanrick

Dragon Master
well i dont think abortion should be made illigal......i do think its wrong to throw away a life.

ChronaMew

Demonic Warrior
I think Abortion is wrong, I mean, you could be killing someone who could one day save you life!

Strawman. You could also be killing someone who could one day END your life

Ohhhhhh. OK. The difference in those is in the status of the human. A fetus is either a living thing or not. From my perspective, it's not about the degree of its life that matters, its simply a matter of whether or not it s alive, and to me, it is. What you're arguing is development. A three year old does not have the mental capacity to handle the responsibility to vote. It will be able to eventually, but right now, it can't.
A human is either alive, or it isn't. Like a checklist, you either say yes or no.
The right to drink is given over time, like a 1-10 scale. At a seven on this imaginary scale, the human is getting closer to being able to vote, but it's not at ten on the scale yet.

Well, just as the baby isn't mature enough to vote, I don't think that the fetus is developed enough to warrant protection. Age does have an effect on the law and punishment - A seven year old boy who kills someone wouldn't get as strict a punishment as someone over 18 doing so.

Because the machines that can emulate the fetus, and the processes that do it are far too controversial and not near widespread enough to give to every aborted fetus.
Also, I hear pro-abortionists say all the time" Why let a baby be born into a hard life, or in a terrible orphanage?"
What would being born from a womb-machine or being a "test-tube baby" do to the kid? No mom, born out of machines, it'd be just as hard.
I feel that if she doesn't want it, then she should have to deal with the fact that, in all likelihood, she was responsible in part for it. Now, discounting the approximate 5% or rape-induced pregnancies, she shouldn't be allowed to get an abortion because she did something incredibly irresponsible with "her body."

The child wouldn't have to know he was raised in a machine, they could just drop him off at an adoption clinic as though he was normally born. If the woman doesn't want him and was willing to get rid of him, odds are if she WAS forced to go through the pregnancy it would end up at an orphanage either way.

And why should a woman who enjoys having sex be deemed "irresponsible"? Studies show that it's a great stress reliever, and it can add years to your life. It's also a very natural drive, just as hunger. It's hard to ignore hunger, is it not? Well it's the same for this.

And the police are the doctors! This is actually a pretty spot-on analogy. Now we can equate the situations in metaphors, sure. But in reality, the two situations are completely different. [As a side note, congratulations to this woman for being so awesome. I'm impressed.]

The thing is, that woman has the capacity to fend for herself. I'm not speaking sociologically, I'm speaking in terms of nature. She has legs that can walk or run, she has a mouth that can chew. If she were put in a room with a deer and a shotgun (provided she isn't insane), she'll be able to shoot the deer and eat it. A fetus, on the other hand, can't fend for itself, so it is actually dependent on its mother. The homeless woman doesn't need the man, she could go into another house and repeat the process, or she can beg for food, or go to a homeless shelter.

Those are all possibilities - The man didn't know if she would find another place, or if she would starve on the street. Either way, it was not his problem. As I said, if you can find an alternative for abortion in which the fetus stays alive WITHOUT being in the mother, I'd be all for it.

Why should the rights of the mother outweigh the fetus? They're both human.
There probably should be a law against drinking while pregnant. Just because there's no law against something doesn't necessarily make it okay. And in fact, since the fetus is alive and human, then we could consider alcohol consumption poisoning another human being. Which I would hope is illegal. It'd be illegal to dump a shot of potassium cyanide into someone's drink at Starbuck's, so I guess it should be illegal to poison a fetus.

You could consider it like the army: by enlisting, you had the right to give up some of your rights. You had freedom of choice, and you chose to give up some freedoms. Weird loophole, right?

In this case, you rightfully choose the sign up for the army KNOWING you're giving away some freedoms. It's not the same with sex - You do it to relieve stress, to bond with a lover, or for a few other reasons.

Even if there is/could be a law against poisoning the fetus, the mother could always argue that she didn't know she was pregnant when she got drunk, so it would be next to impossible to convict her.

I'm all for EQUAL rights in this case - If the fetus gets the right to life, the mother also gets the right to her body. However, seeing as we can't currently account for both cases at once, I'd prefer the law favor the woman who actually lives, has people that love her, and has their own life to worry about than one that hasn't started yet.

But the rock doesn't cease to function. The rock isn't doing anything, its not functioning at all. It's existing. The rock particles aren't dividing to form new rock particles, the rock isn't getting positional information from its surroundings and growing accordingly.
The cells of a fetus will stop performing regular cell activities if sulfuric acid is poured on them. There's nothing you can chemically do to make those cells react after that. They'll never perform regular cell activity after the acid.

I don't care if the fetus isn't crying or laughing; it's alive. Just because it doesn't have a brain or a nervous system doesn't make it non-living. Trees don't have nervous systems or brains, they're living. The moss is alive too!! What are you saying here, that it's not? You may have just proven my point; that a living organism doesn't need to run away or cry when it is stimulated.

You're just equating the life of a fetus to ordinary plants, which I'm sure you don't mind being cut down to make paper or things like that. However, plants actually do respond to things more than just living/dying. For example, Sunflowers face the sun, etc.

I'm not going to argue that there's injustice in the world. I'm not going to argue that illegalizing abortion would prevent all abortions. Going over the speed limit is illegal and yet, here we are. The best any law can do is to prevent people from doing harm to themselves or others. What I can safely assume, however, is that if abortions were illegalized, the numbers of abortions should decrease. As with any law, we can't expect the law to eliminate that behavior altogether. What it can do is deter it.

Again, there are many types of abortions, it's not that all of them would be illegal under some crazy law. And I'm not sure I'm endorsing the illegalization of abortion, because as of now, there's nothing to replace it, and illegalizing would increase the risk for mothers and children, with back alley abortions and home remedies of alcohol poisoning. So As I said earlier, I’m against the concept, and I’ll fight against the idea, but in practice, there’s nothing else. That can feasibly replace it. It’d be a mess.

I agree with your motives here - I'm not necessarily *for* abortion either, I just don't see any reasonable alternatives. I think I posted a link earlier on showing that when abortion was banned in Ireland, thousands of Irish women a year went to England for the sole purpose of having one.

Banning it wouldn't change the number of fetuses dying, mothers would most likely either put themselves in dangerous situations such as falling down the stairs, or get a back-alley abortion which could be very dangerous.

Another metaphor to this case - I think I can safely say that you know what went on during the Prohibition. Alcohol was completely banned. However, it didn't stop people from getting drunk - They would simply home-brew beer which was unhealthy and could lead to death or blindness. I think we can safely assume that a similar case might happen, seeing that my example of it being banned in Ireland simply makes thousands of women travel to get one where they are able to.

I think it's a hopeless cause, it's going to happen either way.

Phantom Gardevoir

Alphonse's Wifey XD
I don't support abortion. There are two scenarios in which I see this:

1. Unintentional pregnancy from (unprotected, obviously) sex: Well, let's see. For example, you're seventeen, in love with your significant other, and you two just randomly have sex without a condom or any other form of birth control. This is where I don't want to see abortion: if the girl was stupid enough to open her legs and have no protection whatsoever, she can take the responsibility of keeping that baby. No questions asked.

2. Child of rape: Now this is a completely different scenario, and far more dark and gruesome. This is where my mother and I disagree; she believes that's when abortion should be made. I still do not think so. Yes, it's hard to accept, but at least try raising the baby to be the person it shouldn't be: a rapist like the person that raped that woman.

Honestly, the baby did not ask to be conceived; it is purely the man and woman's choice. Or in rape cases, the person who chose not to use any protection. And if you really don't want to keep the kid; at least put it up for adoption.

ChronaMew

Demonic Warrior
1. Unintentional pregnancy from (unprotected, obviously) sex: Well, let's see. For example, you're seventeen, in love with your significant other, and you two just randomly have sex without a condom or any other form of birth control. This is where I don't want to see abortion: if the girl was stupid enough to open her legs and have no protection whatsoever, she can take the responsibility of keeping that baby. No questions asked.

So a girl who isn't responsible enough to keep her legs closed is responsible enough to take care of a baby? And you're complaining that girls are growing up bad?

2. Child of rape: Now this is a completely different scenario, and far more dark and gruesome. This is where my mother and I disagree; she believes that's when abortion should be made. I still do not think so. Yes, it's hard to accept, but at least try raising the baby to be the person it shouldn't be: a rapist like the person that raped that woman.

Again, why the hell should the girl be forced to give birth to and care for someone she doesn't want OR give a damn about?

Honestly, the baby did not ask to be conceived; it is purely the man and woman's choice. Or in rape cases, the person who chose not to use any protection. And if you really don't want to keep the kid; at least put it up for adoption.

It's their choice to be in love and to have sex, NOT to have kids

Status
Not open for further replies.