• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Abortion. Right or Wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantom Gardevoir

Alphonse's Wifey XD
So a girl who isn't responsible enough to keep her legs closed is responsible enough to take care of a baby? And you're complaining that girls are growing up bad?

I meant if she's that stupid to open her legs, then teach the girl some responsibility by having her raise the kid. It teaches her to have some sensibility and responsibility for her reckless actions.

Again, why the hell should the girl be forced to give birth to and care for someone she doesn't want OR give a damn about?

Like I stated before, adoption is an option as well. You don't have to kill the baby. At least put it up for adoption if you don't want it.

It's their choice to be in love and to have sex, NOT to have kids

It is also their choice as to whether they have sex protected or unprotected. If unprotected, then they also technically chose to be reckless and conceive a baby, if the female gets pregnant. When it comes to sex, the couple in question really have to think things through, and I mean everything.

ChronaMew

Demonic Warrior
I meant if she's that stupid to open her legs, then teach the girl some responsibility by having her raise the kid. It teaches her to have some sensibility and responsibility for her reckless actions.

So you'd possibly ruin the girls life by forcing her to raise a child she may not love (Who she might not even raise properly), and expect her to become responsible from it?

Like I stated before, adoption is an option as well. You don't have to kill the baby. At least put it up for adoption if you don't want it.

Why force the woman to go through the pregnancy though? If you can find an alternative, go right ahead.

It is also their choice as to whether they have sex protected or unprotected. If unprotected, then they also technically chose to be reckless and conceive a baby, if the female gets pregnant. When it comes to sex, the couple in question really have to think things through, and I mean everything.

Protection doesn't always work - Condoms break, an egg might have started moving before she started on the pill, etc. I agree with them thinking it through, but they shouldn't be forced to birth and raise it if they don't want it.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
what a dumb way to teach somebody to be 'responsible'; by giving a baby to an IRRESPONSIBLE PERSON.

you're worse even if it is killing. try again, please.

also we've been over adoption. will you people PLEASE read over the thread before you post?

wants_latios_lots

I miss you Maddie <3
and your only reason for this is because it's a human? PLEASE! it sucks the nutrients out of the mother and depends on the mother to survive. in addition to having its own DNA; that's all it takes the be a parasite to be honest.
So we're going to ignore the defintion of a parasite and go on gut feeling on this one, huh? No, that's fine, real rational.
[/Sarcasm]

so what's the harm in doing something that is completely natural anyway? if it already happens naturally and the mother doesn't want it and its part of her body and it's sucking her nutrients, why shouldnt it be treated like a normal tapeworm?
The woman's own body is natural: a doctor medically aborting the child is not.

Strawman. You could also be killing someone who could one day END your life
QFT, unfortunately. ;)

Well, just as the baby isn't mature enough to vote, I don't think that the fetus is developed enough to warrant protection. Age does have an effect on the law and punishment - A seven year old boy who kills someone wouldn't get as strict a punishment as someone over 18 doing so.
This is not a matter of maturity. That's what I was saying earlier. It's either alive or it's not, no gray area about that.
Its not a "how much..." question.
it's an "is it..." question.

The child wouldn't have to know he was raised in a machine, they could just drop him off at an adoption clinic as though he was normally born. If the woman doesn't want him and was willing to get rid of him, odds are if she WAS forced to go through the pregnancy it would end up at an orphanage either way.
So on top of being an orphan of choice, it's now an orphan of choice who's being lied to.
And why should a woman who enjoys having sex be deemed "irresponsible"? Studies show that it's a great stress reliever, and it can add years to your life. It's also a very natural drive, just as hunger. It's hard to ignore hunger, is it not? Well it's the same for this.
Yes, it's a natural drive, but in no way is it a necessity, as eating is. You don't die from not having sex. Many members here can attest to that.
[ooooh epic burn]
However, ask all the ones who haven't eaten in three months, and see if you get the same results.
Those are all possibilities - The man didn't know if she would find another place, or if she would starve on the street. Either way, it was not his problem. As I said, if you can find an alternative for abortion in which the fetus stays alive WITHOUT being in the mother, I'd be all for it.
Possibilities, options, all things that she has because she is biologically equipped to have those things. The fetus doesn't. That's the difference.
I'd be all for it too, but the topic at hand-I suppose- is "Abortion: Right or Wrong?"
And it is wrong. I don't have to come up with an alternative, I can simply make the claim that it is wrong, and back it up with whatever I've got.
In this case, you rightfully choose the sign up for the army KNOWING you're giving away some freedoms. It's not the same with sex - You do it to relieve stress, to bond with a lover, or for a few other reasons.
Any couple should go into sex knowing that they could end up giving up some of their freedoms. They should know that they might get pregnant, even with birth control. It's their responsibility from the get-go. ANd in all honesty, if they're sure of themselves to know that they're in love, then they should know well enough that their unbreakable bond of love can wait to have sex.
If a relationship is based and dependent on sex, then I'd say call it quits, because that's a pretty shallow bond.

Even if there is/could be a law against poisoning the fetus, the mother could always argue that she didn't know she was pregnant when she got drunk, so it would be next to impossible to convict her.
Why yes she could, and I can argue that my speed gauge is broken, so I didn't know I was speeding.

But here's my point: On any highway, there will be people speeding. But, for every person who's speeding, there's going to be one person who isn't, because they're obeying the law that's telling them to. Now, translate that to abortion. If certain abortions for certain reasons were made illegal, there would be less abortions. Now, I fully realize that a law against them is dangerous and completely absurd, I'm just saying. That's what would happen.

I'm all for EQUAL rights in this case - If the fetus gets the right to life, the mother also gets the right to her body. However, seeing as we can't currently account for both cases at once, I'd prefer the law favor the woman who actually lives, has people that love her, and has their own life to worry about than one that hasn't started yet.
And the topic reaches a stalemate: who has more of a right to life? They're both living. Which one deserves to live over the other one? The problem at this point is that we have to place a value on human life, and few people are willing to do that.
You're just equating the life of a fetus to ordinary plants, which I'm sure you don't mind being cut down to make paper or things like that. However, plants actually do respond to things more than just living/dying. For example, Sunflowers face the sun, etc.
Alright, so a fetus doesn't respond even as much as a sunflower, But the point here is, it is responsive, and you agree. That meets the requirement for life, as it has a response.
I agree with your motives here - I'm not necessarily *for* abortion either, I just don't see any reasonable alternatives. I think I posted a link earlier on showing that when abortion was banned in Ireland, thousands of Irish women a year went to England for the sole purpose of having one.
It's usually called pro-choice, and I can see why now. Pro-abortion just sounds funny. It makes it sound like there are people all gung-ho about killing babies.

So I suppose if I were to ask you plainly: "is abortion right or wrong?", you would say it's wrong?
As for the Irish, how many people who were planning on having abortions kept the child instead after the law was passed? I'm sure there's no census data on it, but I have no doubts that the law did keep some people from aborting. And that's the best that the law could do.
I honestly wish there were another way, and as far as I know, there isn't, but I have to say although it's morally wrong, there's no other way right now.
I think it's a hopeless cause, it's going to happen either way.
I think debates on abortion are a hopeless cause. ;P

So you'd possibly ruin the girls life by forcing her to raise a child she may not love (Who she might not even raise properly), and expect her to become responsible from it?
I didn't ruin her life; when she decided that she was going to go through with one of the biggest decisions of her life, that's when it got 'ruined'.

Why force the woman to go through the pregnancy though? If you can find an alternative, go right ahead.
If I could find an alternative, I would go right ahead. But I'm not being asked to do that right now, nor could I.

Protection doesn't always work - Condoms break, an egg might have started moving before she started on the pill, etc. I agree with them thinking it through, but they shouldn't be forced to birth and raise it if they don't want it.
Don't. have. sex.
And yes, they should! They should deal with their consequences, that's life.

"I just spent my paycheck on diamond jewelry. The jewelry made me feel happy and satisfied, but now I'm up to my neck in debt and I'm going to lose my home. Someone please help me."
Is anyone going to feel sorry for this person? No friggin' way! Our society will tell her to suck it up and deal with it herself.

Ethan

Banned
what a dumb way to teach somebody to be 'responsible'; by giving a baby to an IRRESPONSIBLE PERSON.

you're worse even if it is killing. try again, please.

also we've been over adoption. will you people PLEASE read over the thread before you post?

It may have been discussed earlier in the thread, that doesn't mean that there is still not more to say about the matter. Unless they are repeating the exact same thing, then yes. That's sort of annoying.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
WLL said:
So we're going to ignore the defintion of a parasite and go on gut feeling on this one, huh? No, that's fine, real rational.
[/Sarcasm]
it isnt ignoring the definition. it fits it.

(1)Parasite: An organism that lives in or on and takes its nourishment from another organism. A parasite cannot live independently.

WLL said:
The woman's own body is natural: a doctor medically aborting the child is not.
right. let's stop helping heart attack patients then since the heart attack was natural.

hospitals are officially useless because we're interfering with natural causes.

(1)

ChronaMew

Demonic Warrior
This is not a matter of maturity. That's what I was saying earlier. It's either alive or it's not, no gray area about that.
Its not a "how much..." question.
it's an "is it..." question.

Kay, let's just leave it at that.

So on top of being an orphan of choice, it's now an orphan of choice who's being lied to.

Not necessarily - Not all orphans find out who their parents are, and biologically they would still have the same parents, it could be kept secret. Withholding information is not the same as lying.

Yes, it's a natural drive, but in no way is it a necessity, as eating is. You don't die from not having sex. Many members here can attest to that.
[ooooh epic burn]
However, ask all the ones who haven't eaten in three months, and see if you get the same results.

They come up with a different end-result, but it doesn't make it any less easy to withhold the urge. Hell, I once met a woman who was *addicted* to sex until her child was born.

Possibilities, options, all things that she has because she is biologically equipped to have those things. The fetus doesn't. That's the difference.
I'd be all for it too, but the topic at hand-I suppose- is "Abortion: Right or Wrong?"
And it is wrong. I don't have to come up with an alternative, I can simply make the claim that it is wrong, and back it up with whatever I've got.

Well in this case, I'd take the lesser of two evils in my opinion. Since the fetus doesn't really care either way, I find it less of an evil to end it before it fully begins to live, than to possibly mess up the life of an already-living woman and possibly her boyfriend/husband.

Why yes she could, and I can argue that my speed gauge is broken, so I didn't know I was speeding.

But here's my point: On any highway, there will be people speeding. But, for every person who's speeding, there's going to be one person who isn't, because they're obeying the law that's telling them to. Now, translate that to abortion. If certain abortions for certain reasons were made illegal, there would be less abortions. Now, I fully realize that a law against them is dangerous and completely absurd, I'm just saying. That's what would happen.

In that case, it would be ones own fault for having a working speedometer. However, in the case of pregnancy, it wouldn't really be possible to blame the woman. Many people have sex while drunk, are you willing to prosecute them all because they might be forcing a miscarriage?

And the topic reaches a stalemate: who has more of a right to life? They're both living. Which one deserves to live over the other one? The problem at this point is that we have to place a value on human life, and few people are willing to do that.

In this case, I place a higher value on the woman, as she was already born, is loved by people, and has a possible future which I'd rather give her a chance to live than force to birth and raise a child.

Alright, so a fetus doesn't respond even as much as a sunflower, But the point here is, it is responsive, and you agree. That meets the requirement for life, as it has a response.

Yes, but it isn't as alive as other humans are. We cut down living trees for our own convenience, be it for making furniture or paper, and trees are just as alive as a fetus is.

It's usually called pro-choice, and I can see why now. Pro-abortion just sounds funny. It makes it sound like there are people all gung-ho about killing babies.

So I suppose if I were to ask you plainly: "is abortion right or wrong?", you would say it's wrong?
As for the Irish, how many people who were planning on having abortions kept the child instead after the law was passed? I'm sure there's no census data on it, but I have no doubts that the law did keep some people from aborting. And that's the best that the law could do.
I honestly wish there were another way, and as far as I know, there isn't, but I have to say although it's morally wrong, there's no other way right now.

I don't see it as a black or white right/wrong term. You could say I see it as a necessary evil, as I pointed out earlier. I probably COULD try to look for a census of the amount of abortions in Ireland from before it was banned and compare, but I'm too darn tired right now since I just came home from work.

Either way, we agree on the fact that it's better to get one done by a doctor than in a back-alley, so even you see it as part of a negative necessity culture-wise.

I think debates on abortion are a hopeless cause. ;P

Agreed, but they're still hella fun to participate in :)

I didn't ruin her life; when she decided that she was going to go through with one of the biggest decisions of her life, that's when it got 'ruined'.

That's like saying that girls should be forced not to date or know any males until they're ready for childbirth. Believe me, most people find it extremely hard to simply wait until they're ready, and I don't feel that they should be forced to raise a child if by mistake the girl got pregnant =p

If I could find an alternative, I would go right ahead. But I'm not being asked to do that right now, nor could I.

If possible, so would I, but it probably won't happen any time soon =p

Don't. have. sex.
And yes, they should! They should deal with their consequences, that's life.

"I just spent my paycheck on diamond jewelry. The jewelry made me feel happy and satisfied, but now I'm up to my neck in debt and I'm going to lose my home. Someone please help me."
Is anyone going to feel sorry for this person? No friggin' way! Our society will tell her to suck it up and deal with it herself.

Humans don't have a natural almost forced urge to buying jewelry, and even if they do something stupid and waste all of their money on it, they can still get part of it back with the receipt. That's sort of what abortion is - A rectification to a mistake you made.

Would you want every girl who got pregnant to have to drop out of college/high school and ruin their chance at a future because they'd be stuck working a minimum wage job to support a family? That's not the kind of life I'd wish on anybody, hence I prefer allowing the girl to abort and hopefully get ahead in life after which she can choose to have kids and raise them in a loving environment.

wants_latios_lots

I miss you Maddie <3
it isnt ignoring the definition. it fits it.

(1)Parasite: An organism that lives in or on and takes its nourishment from another organism. A parasite cannot live independently.
(1)
"–noun 1. an organism that lives on or in an organism of another species, known as the host, from the body of which it obtains nutriment."
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/parasite

So what do we do now?
right. let's stop helping heart attack patients then since the heart attack was natural.

hospitals are officially useless because we're interfering with natural causes.
Saving a person having a heart attack isn't killing a human being, but abortion is. They're different procedures.

The rest of these were posted by ChronaMew, but I messed up the quotes, so I had to take out the name. Just saying.
Not necessarily - Not all orphans find out who their parents are, and biologically they would still have the same parents, it could be kept secret. Withholding information is not the same as lying.
So wait...I forget where this part of the discussion was going. Were we talking about a theoretical machine that raises fetuses?

They come up with a different end-result, but it doesn't make it any less easy to withhold the urge. Hell, I once met a woman who was *addicted* to sex until her child was born.
Eating is a necessary process for the individual to survive, sex isn’t.
I was talking to my friend Vanessa about this, and I ended up equating sex to cigarettes. Neither are necessary, but both of them are difficult to avoid. That is, if you smoke. Quitting smoking and resisting sex, they’re difficult to do, but possible.

Well in this case, I'd take the lesser of two evils in my opinion. Since the fetus doesn't really care either way, I find it less of an evil to end it before it fully begins to live, than to possibly mess up the life of an already-living woman and possibly her boyfriend/husband.
But the thing is, it’s already alive. So using ‘before it fully begins to live’ doesn’t quite work.
So it comes down to destroying the life of the child or making the life of the woman harder. Not to minimalize the burden of a child or anything.

In that case, it would be ones own fault for having a working speedometer. However, in the case of pregnancy, it wouldn't really be possible to blame the woman. Many people have sex while drunk, are you willing to prosecute them all because they might be forcing a miscarriage?
No, but if there were substantial evidence that proves that the woman purposely forced a miscarriage, then yes, she could be prosecuted.
And I already mentioned the “all” portion of it. It’s impossible and unlikely to do arrest every pregnant woman for murder, but some would be, and others would be further deterred from the process.

In this case, I place a higher value on the woman, as she was already born, is loved by people, and has a possible future which I'd rather give her a chance to live than force to birth and raise a child.
And now you’re stuck, because you’ve place increased value on one life over the other.

Already born: what difference does this make? They’re both living. Neither is more important than the other because of their birth.

Loved by people: So, if I’m a lonely old man, and I’ve lost everyone I’ve ever loved, then I don’t deserve to live as much as a church pastor with a Church full of people who love me? Or, if I’m a father and my whole family was killed in a car accident, I deserve to live less than another man who has a full family?

Future: All right, so the homeless, working poor, teens who dropped out of high school don’t have as much of a right to life because they don’t have as much of a possible future as others in better positions?

And that’s why placing on value on life is difficult.

Yes, but it isn't as alive as other humans are. We cut down living trees for our own convenience, be it for making furniture or paper, and trees are just as alive as a fetus is.
We’re not arguing how alive it is. We’re talking about is it alive, or is it not, and it is, making it a human life.

Some people would argue that killing trees is immoral as well, but as it stands now, killing trees for paper is a socially acceptable act. The difference, admittedly, isn’t in their “amount” of living, but what society has deemed acceptable.

Let’s examine drugs, for example. Marijuana is a less potent drug when compared to alcohol, but which one has become acceptable in society? It seems to be an arbitrary process, allowing certain things and disallowing otherc, but that fact remains that killing trees is acceptable, but killing human lives is not.

I don't see it as a black or white right/wrong term. You could say I see it as a necessary evil, as I pointed out earlier. I probably COULD try to look for a census of the amount of abortions in Ireland from before it was banned and compare, but I'm too darn tired right now since I just came home from work.
Not just a census on that, but a census of how many people it deterred. The number of people who thought “Hey, I shouldn’t do this.” The census would be flawed, because some abortions would have continued, under the radar.

Either way, we agree on the fact that it's better to get one done by a doctor than in a back-alley, so even you see it as part of a negative necessity culture-wise.
Hmm? I’m not alright with back-alley abortions. It sounds dirty.
Yes, I do see abortion as a necessary evil, but I am arguing the evil of it, that it is wrong.

I will say that abortion should be illegalized, going under the premise that it is murder, and that murder is detrimental to the fabric of society. However, given that no current solutions exist to effectively illegalize the process- that there is no plausible way to enact or properly enforce such a law- I submit that it cannot be made illegal.

That's like saying that girls should be forced not to date or know any males until they're ready for childbirth. Believe me, most people find it extremely hard to simply wait until they're ready, and I don't feel that they should be forced to raise a child if by mistake the girl got pregnant =p
No it’s not. I can be friend with girls and not wanna mount them every time I see them. Likewise, when I’m dating someone, I know not to have sex with them, however the situation may be.

Humans don't have a natural almost forced urge to buying jewelry, and even if they do something stupid and waste all of their money on it, they can still get part of it back with the receipt. That's sort of what abortion is - A rectification to a mistake you made.
Some people would argue that point. What if I were to spend all my money on a house, leave it uninsured, and it gets washed away in a flood? What if I drop out of high school? No one will help me without my prompting. I can go to a community college, and help myself, but no one’s going to pay for my college. The jewelry store’s not going to some knocking on the girl’s dor saying “Oh honey, do you need the money back? I’m so sorry sugar, here, have a lollipop.”

For a pregnant woman, there are so many resources available for her to help herself, and I will admit that it is a difficult thing to go through, but she can’t just run away from everything. There have to be consequences.

Abortions are receipts…I like it.

Would you want every girl who got pregnant to have to drop out of college/high school and ruin their chance at a future because they'd be stuck working a minimum wage job to support a family? That's not the kind of life I'd wish on anybody, hence I prefer allowing the girl to abort and hopefully get ahead in life after which she can choose to have kids and raise them in a loving environment.
I went to a high school where there was a daycare for the children of the students. Messed up, right? I’ve seen a lot of pregnant teens, and from my experience, I have very sympathy for them. But I’d much rather try to be objective about this point. The daycare at my school was a resource for that pregnant teen.

Here, I just typed in “I’m pregnant, I need help.” into Google.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&fkt=1252&fsdt=11390&q=I'm+pregnant,+I+need+help.

It came up with pages and pages of help, and that’s a pretty unofficial search of a major search engine. If I were to go to a pregnancy resource center, or any hospital, I’d get heaps and heaps of support. Point is her life doesn’t have to be “ruined“, if she doesn’t want it to be. But she has to be willing to work hard for it, and that’s a consequence of her and her “lover’s” actions.

ChronaMew

Demonic Warrior
So wait...I forget where this part of the discussion was going. Were we talking about a theoretical machine that raises fetuses?

Pretty much, as a possible alternative to forcing the woman to keep it.

Eating is a necessary process for the individual to survive, sex isn’t.
I was talking to my friend Vanessa about this, and I ended up equating sex to cigarettes. Neither are necessary, but both of them are difficult to avoid. That is, if you smoke. Quitting smoking and resisting sex, they’re difficult to do, but possible.

Well, it's just as possible to stop eating - Instead of lust for sex or nicotine though, you get a sense called hunger. However, why BOTHER trying to resist sex?

But the thing is, it’s already alive. So using ‘before it fully begins to live’ doesn’t quite work.
So it comes down to destroying the life of the child or making the life of the woman harder. Not to minimalize the burden of a child or anything.

I personally see the fetus as a bit LESS of a life than the parent - It's all based on the value of their life. I'll post why to a later quote

No, but if there were substantial evidence that proves that the woman purposely forced a miscarriage, then yes, she could be prosecuted.
And I already mentioned the “all” portion of it. It’s impossible and unlikely to do arrest every pregnant woman for murder, but some would be, and others would be further deterred from the process.

Well, then it would be as pointless as the war on drugs. It might deter a small fraction of the population, but then we'd be overcrowding prisons for no reason whatsoever. I don't find it to be a crime, myself, killing in self-defense is allowed and the woman is defending her body and her right to it.

And now you’re stuck, because you’ve place increased value on one life over the other.

Already born: what difference does this make? They’re both living. Neither is more important than the other because of their birth.

Loved by people: So, if I’m a lonely old man, and I’ve lost everyone I’ve ever loved, then I don’t deserve to live as much as a church pastor with a Church full of people who love me? Or, if I’m a father and my whole family was killed in a car accident, I deserve to live less than another man who has a full family?

Future: All right, so the homeless, working poor, teens who dropped out of high school don’t have as much of a right to life because they don’t have as much of a possible future as others in better positions?

And that’s why placing on value on life is difficult.

Those people, however, aren't trying to take away a woman's right to life. The fetus doesn't care about being born, and most people wouldn't even know the mother was pregnant if she chose to abort it quietly, so it would be gone without making a significant impact on the world.

I'd feel sorry for the old man who lost all he loved simply because he did live and love for his entire life, hence he would be remembered by me as a kind person.

But the fetus, not really. Even if it is alive, it really doesn't matter to me as much as the mother.

We’re not arguing how alive it is. We’re talking about is it alive, or is it not, and it is, making it a human life.

Some people would argue that killing trees is immoral as well, but as it stands now, killing trees for paper is a socially acceptable act. The difference, admittedly, isn’t in their “amount” of living, but what society has deemed acceptable.

Let’s examine drugs, for example. Marijuana is a less potent drug when compared to alcohol, but which one has become acceptable in society? It seems to be an arbitrary process, allowing certain things and disallowing otherc, but that fact remains that killing trees is acceptable, but killing human lives is not.

Killing human lives is acceptable in many places - Capital punishment, war, self defense, etc. This would go under self-defense, as the woman is preventing harm to her own body. If some random already-born person was giving you stretch marks, grey hairs, and making you sick day after day for 9 months, I bet you'd have no problems trying to remove it from your life, without personally caring if he lives or dies. That's the same with the fetus for me - It's simply a nuisance, even if it *IS* developing into a human.

Not just a census on that, but a census of how many people it deterred. The number of people who thought “Hey, I shouldn’t do this.” The census would be flawed, because some abortions would have continued, under the radar.

I don't really think that can be calculated, unless they ask mothers if they were planning to get one if it wasn't banned. If you have any luck finding it though, I'd be interested too.

Hmm? I’m not alright with back-alley abortions. It sounds dirty.
Yes, I do see abortion as a necessary evil, but I am arguing the evil of it, that it is wrong.

I will say that abortion should be illegalized, going under the premise that it is murder, and that murder is detrimental to the fabric of society. However, given that no current solutions exist to effectively illegalize the process- that there is no plausible way to enact or properly enforce such a law- I submit that it cannot be made illegal.

I agree with this, even though I don't necessarily find it to be murder. Murder, for one, was never actually acceptable in an organized society such as ours. However, once again I refer you to the prohibition - Alcohol was legal for however long people could remember, so when it was banned they weren't simply going to stop, they simply either made their own brew (Back-alley abortions, forced miscarriages) or imported it from Canada or other countries where it wasn't banned (The Irish women I mentioned going to England.)

It's become too much of a norm to outright ban, to be honest.

No it’s not. I can be friend with girls and not wanna mount them every time I see them. Likewise, when I’m dating someone, I know not to have sex with them, however the situation may be.

Yes, but you actually have very good self-restraint. Many people do not.

Some people would argue that point. What if I were to spend all my money on a house, leave it uninsured, and it gets washed away in a flood? What if I drop out of high school? No one will help me without my prompting. I can go to a community college, and help myself, but no one’s going to pay for my college. The jewelry store’s not going to some knocking on the girl’s dor saying “Oh honey, do you need the money back? I’m so sorry sugar, here, have a lollipop.”

For a pregnant woman, there are so many resources available for her to help herself, and I will admit that it is a difficult thing to go through, but she can’t just run away from everything. There have to be consequences.

Abortions are receipts…I like it.

Hmm...I guess those are a little similar in a way. However, with those, there is a possibility to get your life back on track to where it was - If you had enough money to buy a house, odds are you either have rich parents you inherited it from or have some kind of job. With either case, you can eventually save up enough for another house, you might just need to settle for less until you do.With the high school debate, the person can still take high school classes later on, there ARE adult education centers.

However, unless the fetus dies, you can't really get back to where you were (At the very least for 18 years) unless you send it for adoption (But we already know how THAT works out), and I wouldn't like forcing a girl to go through with it if it wasn't necessary. Money is more renewable than time.

I went to a high school where there was a daycare for the children of the students. Messed up, right? I’ve seen a lot of pregnant teens, and from my experience, I have very sympathy for them. But I’d much rather try to be objective about this point. The daycare at my school was a resource for that pregnant teen.

Here, I just typed in “I’m pregnant, I need help.” into Google.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&f...2C+I+need+help.

It came up with pages and pages of help, and that’s a pretty unofficial search of a major search engine. If I were to go to a pregnancy resource center, or any hospital, I’d get heaps and heaps of support. Point is her life doesn’t have to be “ruined“, if she doesn’t want it to be. But she has to be willing to work hard for it, and that’s a consequence of her and her “lover’s” actions.

I agree, there are a lot of places to help. However, it would be ignorant to think that it's ALWAYS available, or that all schools are as well-equipped as yours.

I know one of my girlfriend's friends was pregnant last year, and she ended up missing a lot of days of school, I guess for doctor's appointments or for throwing up or feeling sick. Either way, it can greatly mess up your future, missing a lot of school does NOT work well however you look at it.

I agree; if she works hard at it (Like my girlfriend's friend), it's wholly possible to do. However, most girls aren't willing to, and most of their boyfriends would leave them if they tried.

Personally, with my girlfriend and me, we decided that we most likely *would* have an abortion if something did mess up and she got pregnant, because we really want to get good jobs and a stable home before starting up a family. However, if she chose to keep the baby if she did get pregnant, I'd respect her wishes and help her care for it.

However, most guys I know aren't like that, and the family isn't usually overjoyed when the daughter gets pregnant, some would even kick her out. Hence, it's not always a smart idea to keep it.

Aaanyhow, took the day off yesterday? =)

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
WLL said:
So what do we do now?
realize that it being a different species is entirely irrelevant. it still SUCKS NUTRIENTS and it still has its own DNA.

i'd trust a medical dictionary over a regular dictionary. so would any other sane person.

WLL said:
Saving a person having a heart attack isn't killing a human being, but abortion is. They're different procedures.
you've yet to prove it's a human being. so far, it is a zygote here. it is not you or me. it is equivalent to an arm.

WLL said:
Already born: what difference does this make? They’re both living.
the difference is that one is already living and got their rights. one has to have a burden; the other one doesnt feel a single thing and is completely comparable to any part of your body.

Last edited:

sockyskarmie

"The soul, according to many religious and philosophical beliefs, is the self-awareness, or consciousness, unique to a particular living being, defined as being distinct from the body and survives the death of the body. In these beliefs the soul is thought to incorporate the inner awareness of each living being, and to be the true basis for consciousness, rather than the brain or any other material or natural part of the biological organism. Some religions and philosophies on the other hand believe in the soul having a material component, and some have even tried to establish the weight of the soul. Souls are usually considered to be immortal. Many beliefs hold they exist prior to incarnation."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soul
If you'll accept Wikipedia as a reliable source. I would.

thanks for that:)

ya I agree with you on the potential thing. If we're arguing abortion, potential will always be in the thread.

I can't believe gray hairs and stretch marks are actually a reason to kill a child. Has our society gotten so shallow and tasteless?

I think we can all agree to disagree on where life starts. My opposition against abortion has strengthened as a 15 year old girl in my grade is now pregnant. What is she doing? Owing up to the consequences and keeping it. Don't see why other people can't be like that.

sockyskarmie

Well, it's just as possible to stop eating - Instead of lust for sex or nicotine though, you get a sense called hunger. However, why BOTHER trying to resist sex?

um, you need hunger to live.
and resisting sex will only do you good. Seriously, you can get std's, and you definetely have a chance of getting pregnant/getting someone else pregnant.

Well, then it would be as pointless as the war on drugs. It might deter a small fraction of the population, but then we'd be overcrowding prisons for no reason whatsoever. I don't find it to be a crime, myself, killing in self-defense is allowed and the woman is defending her body and her right to it.

You think that getting an abortion will actually help protect your body? Abortion is the totally unatural path, that can lead to serious side-effects such as DEATH. It can also screw your reproductive systems, so when you actually want to start a real family, you may need to go through a few miscariges before having a perfectly healthy baby.

Killing human lives is acceptable in many places - Capital punishment, war, self defense, etc. This would go under self-defense, as the woman is preventing harm to her own body. If some random already-born person was giving you stretch marks, grey hairs, and making you sick day after day for 9 months, I bet you'd have no problems trying to remove it from your life, without personally caring if he lives or dies. That's the same with the fetus for me - It's simply a nuisance, even if it *IS* developing into a human.

Yes, but what if you knew that killing this dude would also harm yourself?

I think that we have enough teen pregnancies. I think that if abortion was taken away, people would definetely be a bit more careful about sex. I think having a baby will teach irresponsible people a lesson about being, well, irresponsible.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
I can't believe gray hairs and stretch marks are actually a reason to kill a child. Has our society gotten so shallow and tasteless?
before you criticize pregnant women, actually understand how it feels to be pregnant. it isnt as simple as that.

Carlisle said:
Owing up to the consequences and keeping it. Don't see why other people can't be like that.
and i dont see why your ideals have to be enforced on other people's lives. not everybody has the same situation. sometimes their whole future will be ruined. sometimes they can handle it. if their future will be ruined, she needs an abortion.

um, you need hunger to live.
let's not forget that resisting hunger is about as easy as resisting sex... :\

sockyskarmie said:
and resisting sex will only do you good. Seriously, you can get std's, and you definetely have a chance of getting pregnant/getting someone else pregnant.
what are you, 4? you never heard of protection or something?

sockyskarmie said:
You think that getting an abortion will actually help protect your body? Abortion is the totally unatural path, that can lead to serious side-effects such as DEATH. It can also screw your reproductive systems, so when you actually want to start a real family, you may need to go through a few miscariges before having a perfectly healthy baby.
which all the more reasons to only have it in a serious situation; which is clearly what abortionist women are doing.

sockyskarmie said:
I think that we have enough teen pregnancies. I think that if abortion was taken away, people would definetely be a bit more careful about sex.
no. our crime rate will rise and we'll have a much larger generation of babies being raised by mothers with ruined lives and irresponsible parents.

sockyskarmie said:
I think having a baby will teach irresponsible people a lesson about being, well, irresponsible.
yes, by giving the baby to an irresponsible person.

you pro-life supporters seriously think you're doing somehow a 'greater good'; but you arent. you're making it worse. you're forcing a baby down someone else's life when they obviously cannot financially support it. why do that? why force a baby in such a poor life of a poor mother and/or an irresponsible mother? why force a baby to a mother in high school? why force a baby in foster care? we are not the evil ones; these ideals to me are evil.

abortion is for the general welfare of the country. children raised in bad families creates more criminals. i guarantee you if the black community actually aborted, we wouldn't be committing so much crime. now, abortion doesnt sound like half a bad idea for them, now does it?

so what are you going to do; let a woman decide her own life and live it so she can possibly have a BETTER child when she's ready and have a good family or ruin her life AND throw a child along with the ruined life to create another ruined life to have that child have another baby to continue the damn process.

why should the living, breathing person that already was granted rights to do anything she wants with her body have to listen to something that is DEPENDING ON HER and doesnt even know its own existence?

Last edited:
before you criticize pregnant women, actually understand how it feels to be pregnant. it isnt as simple as that.

and i dont see why your ideals have to be enforced on other people's lives. not everybody has the same situation. sometimes their whole future will be ruined. sometimes they can handle it. if their future will be ruined, she needs an abortion.
I think my replies below will cover everything...

what are you, 4? you never heard of protection or something?
...I just wanted to point out that protection really isn't THAT much of a help if the person has STDs/HIV/AIDS. Condoms only cover the penis, not the testicles or the area around the penis, so it's pretty easy to contract an STD. Semen and contact with the actual penis isn't the only way to get an STD.

which all the more reasons to only have it in a serious situation; which is clearly what abortionist women are doing.
Okay, I think we agree here. I can mildly understand an abortion if it IS a serious situation. The mother or child will die, rape, incest, a 14 year old girl, a 49 year old battered woman...it's just the chunk of women who use abortion as an easy, quick fix multiple times. I still don't buy into the whole "it's her body" argument. Women need to stop acting like they deserve medals for what they are made to do, and this excuse is getting annoying.

wants_latios_lots

I miss you Maddie <3
Not eating makes you die. Not having sex does not.

Excuse me, but the war on drugs is working perfectly well, thank you! [/sarcasm]
It'd be kinda funny seeing a bunch of pregnant women in jail cells, pumpng iron.
The problem here, among several others, is in the various systems in America, it would seem. The adoption system, the imprisonment system, the welfare system, the list goes on.
It wouldn't be unreasonable to imprison a person for attempted murder, that's actually fairly solid grounds to imprison someone. Unfortunately, reasonable=/=realistic, which is why I say it should be illegal, but right now, it can't be.

Those people, however, aren't trying to take away a woman's right to life. The fetus doesn't care about being born, and most people wouldn't even know the mother was pregnant if she chose to abort it quietly, so it would be gone without making a significant impact on the world.
The point here, though, is that you’ve placed increased importance on the mother’s life for those reasons. I’ve made hypothetical situations that show that the reasons to keep the mother alive over the child aren’t valid
You say that a person loved by others has more of a right to live.
Let’s say that we have a family of ten, with a father who steals from Radioshacks. He’s detracting from society, much like how you claim the fetus’s rights detracting from the rights of the woman.

Now let’s take a woman who lives alone, by her own choice. She’s loved by no one, mainly because she smells vaguely of cough syrup and fried onions. You say that the person who is more loved deserves to live, so which one is it? The woman or the man?

I'd feel sorry for the old man who lost all he loved simply because he did live and love for his entire life, hence he would be remembered by me as a kind person.

But the fetus, not really. Even if it is alive, it really doesn't matter to me as much as the mother.
Alright, what about the old lady I mentioned earlier? She’s not self-pitying, she’s never lost anyone. She just chose to live alone. Does she deserve to die because she was unloved and unloving?

On the subject of mattering: which one matters more, and has a more valued life, a walmart employee or a bank owner? Which one of those would live over the other?

But even then, there are exceptions. Capital punishment is banned in many places, and occurs very infrequently in America, even. And at that, the criminal had to have done something against society to warrant the death penalty.

In war, you don’t (shouldn’t) attack non-threatening civilians. If they’re innocent, they should live, so says the war code

I agree with this, even though I don't necessarily find it to be murder. Murder, for one, was never actually acceptable in an organized society such as ours. However, once again I refer you to the prohibition - Alcohol was legal for however long people could remember, so when it was banned they weren't simply going to stop, they simply either made their own brew (Back-alley abortions, forced miscarriages) or imported it from Canada or other countries where it wasn't banned (The Irish women I mentioned going to England.)
Hmm? I never said it was ever acceptable.

It's become too much of a norm to outright ban, to be honest.
Yeah, but many things used to be norms. What is a norm right now may not be a norm as a society changes.

Yes, but you actually have very good self-restraint. Many people do not.
Yeah, but many people should. It’s something that can be done, and should be if the prospective parents don’t want the responsibility of the child.
I don’t see why the situation of unwanted pregnancies should occur, it’s not anyone else’s fault but the parents. [excluding rape-related, to qualify that statement.]

Hmm...I guess those are a little similar in a way. However, with those, there is a possibility to get your life back on track to where it was - If you had enough money to buy a house, odds are you either have rich parents you inherited it from or have some kind of job. With either case, you can eventually save up enough for another house, you might just need to settle for less until you do.With the high school debate, the person can still take high school classes later on, there ARE adult education centers.

However, unless the fetus dies, you can't really get back to where you were (At the very least for 18 years) unless you send it for adoption (But we already know how THAT works out), and I wouldn't like forcing a girl to go through with it if it wasn't necessary. Money is more renewable than time.

I agree, there are a lot of places to help. However, it would be ignorant to think that it's ALWAYS available, or that all schools are as well-equipped as yours.
Well, if you can’t get back to where you were, then that makes you human. Any family will suffer financially from a baby, that’s not anyone’s fault or some anomaly in society by having an unexpected pregnancy. A financial setback doesn’t warrant the death of a human. There are help centers to help a person get started, and if a help center were to shut down, the person should be equipped enough to take care of a child. A lot of it is instinct, and I firmly believe that few things are possible if you want them badly enough.

I know one of my girlfriend's friends was pregnant last year, and she ended up missing a lot of days of school, I guess for doctor's appointments or for throwing up or feeling sick. Either way, it can greatly mess up your future, missing a lot of school does NOT work well however you look at it.
Again, it was her decision (or a mutual agreement, whatever).

I agree; if she works hard at it (Like my girlfriend's friend), it's wholly possible to do. However, most girls aren't willing to, and most of their boyfriends would leave them if they tried.
That’s. Not. The. Child’s. Fault. Laziness doesn’t warrant death,

Personally, with my girlfriend and me, we decided that we most likely *would* have an abortion if something did mess up and she got pregnant, because we really want to get good jobs and a stable home before starting up a family. However, if she chose to keep the baby if she did get pregnant, I'd respect her wishes and help her care for it.
So with all the knowledge you have about this topic, you wold still choose to have sex, even though you don’t sound like you’re ready for the consequences? That’s…I don’t know. I can’t imagine risking your entire future for a night of sex. You have a personal responsibility, and I would think that if you love her, you could wait to conceive a child.

However, most guys I know aren't like that, and the family isn't usually overjoyed when the daughter gets pregnant, some would even kick her out. Hence, it's not always a smart idea to keep it.
Personal responsibility.

Aaanyhow, took the day off yesterday? =)
You noticed! Well, it's...it's a story. I live in Florida, I took the bus to get to Walmart to buy an eggplant, got stranded in a tropical storm at a coverless bus stop for half an hour because the buses stopped because the roads were flooded. Not a good day yesterday.

realize that it being a different species is entirely irrelevant. it still SUCKS NUTRIENTS and it still has its own DNA.
Kingdom
Phylum
Class
Order
Family
Genus
Species

An organism can have a different genetic code, but can still be in the same species. It is still classified as Homo Sapien Sapien, which is a human. It’s a parasite if it’s of a different species.

i'd trust a medical dictionary over a regular dictionary. so would any other sane person.
Call me crazy then, because as far as I’m concerned, one is as reliable as the other. And we have an explicit definition of a parasite in the dictionary, where it explains fully that it is of a different species.

you've yet to prove it's a human being. so far, it is a zygote here. it is not you or me. it is equivalent to an arm.
I…actually did. You might want to take your own advice and read the thread. But you, for some reason, prefer to ignore every single thing I’ve stated and proven, for God knows why. It doesn’t seem conducive to a debate, and if you want, then certainly argue my points. But please, don’t ignore them altogether.

the difference is that one is already living and got their rights. one has to have a burden; the other one doesnt feel a single thing and is completely comparable to any part of your body.
Again, this falls apart since a fetus, a zygote, what have you, is living.

ChronaMew

Demonic Warrior
Not eating makes you die. Not having sex does not.

...your point being? Try not eating for a week when there is food around you. That's what abstinence is like. It doesn't matter if it makes you die or not, the feeling is still relatively the same

Excuse me, but the war on drugs is working perfectly well, thank you! [/sarcasm]
It'd be kinda funny seeing a bunch of pregnant women in jail cells, pumpng iron.
The problem here, among several others, is in the various systems in America, it would seem. The adoption system, the imprisonment system, the welfare system, the list goes on.
It wouldn't be unreasonable to imprison a person for attempted murder, that's actually fairly solid grounds to imprison someone. Unfortunately, reasonable=/=realistic, which is why I say it should be illegal, but right now, it can't be.

Again, agreed, it probably won't happen. By that logic a woman who has a drink before sex could be sentenced to jail =p

The point here, though, is that you’ve placed increased importance on the mother’s life for those reasons. I’ve made hypothetical situations that show that the reasons to keep the mother alive over the child aren’t valid
You say that a person loved by others has more of a right to live.
Let’s say that we have a family of ten, with a father who steals from Radioshacks. He’s detracting from society, much like how you claim the fetus’s rights detracting from the rights of the woman.

Now let’s take a woman who lives alone, by her own choice. She’s loved by no one, mainly because she smells vaguely of cough syrup and fried onions. You say that the person who is more loved deserves to live, so which one is it? The woman or the man?

In this case, since the man is detracting from society, odds are he would go to jail. I don't see any fetus prisons opening up, do you? =p

I just mean that the woman has left her mark on the world, even if it's a tiny one. Since the fetus didn't do anything to be remembered by, I put him a few points under the mother.

Alright, what about the old lady I mentioned earlier? She’s not self-pitying, she’s never lost anyone. She just chose to live alone. Does she deserve to die because she was unloved and unloving?

On the subject of mattering: which one matters more, and has a more valued life, a walmart employee or a bank owner? Which one of those would live over the other?

I was simply referring to the fact that I find people who have been born more important than fetuses as a whole. You consider it equal to people who have already been born, while I give preference to those with life experience. Job employers also favor the experienced, hence why it's difficult for people who dropped out of high school to get a job.

But even then, there are exceptions. Capital punishment is banned in many places, and occurs very infrequently in America, even. And at that, the criminal had to have done something against society to warrant the death penalty.

In war, you don’t (shouldn’t) attack non-threatening civilians. If they’re innocent, they should live, so says the war code

If they're innocent, they should live. However, if a civilian refuses to leave a military zone, they might be shot. Also, if a civilian tries to throw a bomb into a plane, they're also not that innocent any longer. It's the same for fetuses - I'd be okay for them if they didn't grow up in the mother and cause her sickness, stress, and aging, but they just don't seem that innocent in retrospect.

Hmm? I never said it was ever acceptable.

Well, I think that it is.

Yeah, but many things used to be norms. What is a norm right now may not be a norm as a society changes.

Well, I doubt this one is going to change any time soon.

Yeah, but many people should. It’s something that can be done, and should be if the prospective parents don’t want the responsibility of the child.
I don’t see why the situation of unwanted pregnancies should occur, it’s not anyone else’s fault but the parents. [excluding rape-related, to qualify that statement.]

I find it hypocritical that you'd make an exception in the case of rape. I thought ALL lives were important according to you, so why wouldn't you force the girl to give birth in the case of rape? It doesn't matter whose fault it is, it depends on if you care about the mother or the fetus more.

Again, it was her decision (or a mutual agreement, whatever).

...so? It was her decision to have sex, not to get pregnant. Are you saying that people who tan choose to get skin cancer, and should be refused treatment?

So with all the knowledge you have about this topic, you wold still choose to have sex, even though you don’t sound like you’re ready for the consequences? That’s…I don’t know. I can’t imagine risking your entire future for a night of sex. You have a personal responsibility, and I would think that if you love her, you could wait to conceive a child.

Yes, we're willing to risk it, because we know in the worst-case scenario we could get an abortion. We'd much rather not have to have one, obviously, but there's always a small possibility. It's not like I'm saying we do it every night without protection, but occasionally we do some stuff, because we love each other. Abstinence just doesn't work, ever buy a car without test driving it first? =p

You noticed! Well, it's...it's a story. I live in Florida, I took the bus to get to Walmart to buy an eggplant, got stranded in a tropical storm at a coverless bus stop for half an hour because the buses stopped because the roads were flooded. Not a good day yesterday.

Course, I check this place every couple of hours when bored, in between my random youtube watching, working, and game playing. Summer's kinda slow for me this year. Anyhow, glad to see you had a busy day yesterday =p

Ethan

Banned
I'm going to say that this debate has lost its luster. The topic has boiled down to a struggle mainly between two users, and we have 1-on-1 debates for that. The topic of abortion is ever on going anyway, not to say that many of you didn't make intelligent replies. I think it's best that I just close this topic and save it for another day. If you really want it open, you can always PM me and explain why you want it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.