• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Abortion, Right or Wrong?

DonDemio

Maverick of Serebii!
As a Conservative and Roman Catholic, I think abortion is wrong. The Foetus is still a child and no matter what, it is living. However while this is the case, I am for abortion. After reading The Cider House Rules, I learned about some cases where abortion is needed are really needed becasue the mother's health is in question.

While i believe in abortion and the mother's right, I am reserved in some manner. I think that abortions should only be performed if:
1) The Life of the mother is in danger
2) The baby died in womb (yes, many Conservatives leave in in)
3) The mother was raped

If the child is unwanted due to a mistake, put it up for adoption. People need to learn self control and if you are having casual sex, then live with your mistake. In most cases, yes a child could ruin your life, but then again, why take it away from the child? Also, in many cases, the mistake turns into joy.

Fused

Shun the nonbeliever
We have higher intellect.

Really? You don't see that too much these days. Seriosuly though, this is a debate forum, so debate instead of stating obvious things.

A fetus will become a human, something an animal will never be.

This isn't a very good argument, I'm sorry. Just because a fetus will become a human instead of a deer doesn't make a good argument to be for murder of aniamls but against murder of fetuses.

Last edited:
A fetus is a human.
Your one liners aren't really contributing to anything.

As for the issue, no I do not think a fetus is a human being. It will only become one. To compare a zygote, or a fetus in the first stages to a living, breathing human being...I can't really comprehend it. I could care less if it has a soul or not. :/ Souls are not a valid reason to make something illegal or not.

Your one liners aren't really contributing to anything.

As for the issue, no I do not think a fetus is a human being. It will only become one. To compare a zygote, or a fetus in the first stages to a living, breathing human being...I can't really comprehend it. I could care less if it has a soul or not. :/ Souls are not a valid reason to make something illegal or not.
Yes, a fetus is a human, it has the same DNA as a human, thus it biologically is one, the question is whether it deserves the right to life, and whether it's right to life should 'override' the mother's right to her body and privacy.

~dave

Life, liberty, and property (estate). Killing a fetus has nothing to do with your body anyway.

Life, liberty, and property (estate). Killing a fetus has nothing to do with your body anyway.
And a pro abortion person would argue that a woman's body is her property and being forced to carry a baby is violating the right to liberty. I'm personally undecided on the issue.

Fused

Shun the nonbeliever
A fetus is a human.

Only if it's a human fetus. But besides, it may be a human being, but is it a person?

And an abortion has nothing to do with yours. A fetus though does directly affect it's mother's body.

Yes, a fetus is a human, it has the same DNA as a human, thus it biologically is one, the question is whether it deserves the right to life, and whether it's right to life should 'override' the mother's right to her body and privacy.

Neverminding that a corpse has DNA and is a human, a fetus doesn't really have rights. How does something in a woman's body have rights?

Last edited:
1. Property, aka buildings
2. No one has the right to kill another.
1. If nobody owns themselves then why isn't slavery legal?
2. Yes, but you can argue that the fetus doesn't have the right to life.

I'm not personally pro abortion, I'm actually leaning a little more towards anti abortion, but I know that they still have a point.

~dave

You own yourself, but not when it violates the rights of others. I can own a gun, but I can't use that right and shoot others.

Peter Quill

star-lord
You own yourself, but not when it violates the rights of others. I can own a gun, but I can't use that right and shoot others.

A Fetus doesn't have rights until it's birth. Sorry that's the way I see it :/

SnorlaxInSlacks

Come here kiddies...
A fetus is, to me, simply cells that will grow into a child. But it's still the woman's damn choice. :/

ImJessieTR

I WON'T kiss Ash...
Requiem's Eclipse said:
Well, a sponge technically has no brain or nervous system so it's not a sentient as one may think. It's only classified as an animal because it's ability to eat and reproduce a tad of topic but whatever.
I only wrote it that way because some faith traditions have a much more generous definition of "alive" and "sentient".

Farmermon said:
scientists claim their brains aren't as smart, but just cuz the brain is smaller in some areas makes no difference! compare a desktop to a laptop
Indeed, every so often I read an article where it's basically "OMG ... this animal isn't stupid like we just sort of assumed!"

starliteevee said:
And do you honestly beleive animals rule the world?
Well, they outnumber us and will have little trouble surviving (except for the ones we domesticated ... they might have a hard time) when we're gone. We don't rule the world. We have our ecological niche, but any superiority is all in our head.

dave said:
We have higher intellect
Not in the womb. If this is as much criteria as I'm going to get out of you, then our willingness to kill anything that doesn't have higher intellect is perfectly fine. Should we just go with IQ? Should we go with some other intelligence test to give babies and other life forms a chance to succeed? If animals are smarter than some humans, should we protect them and never kill them?

Erienne

Anime high :D
I only wrote it that way because some faith traditions have a much more generous definition of "alive" and "sentient".

Indeed, every so often I read an article where it's basically "OMG ... this animal isn't stupid like we just sort of assumed!"

Well, they outnumber us and will have little trouble surviving (except for the ones we domesticated ... they might have a hard time) when we're gone. We don't rule the world. We have our ecological niche, but any superiority is all in our head.

Not in the womb. If this is as much criteria as I'm going to get out of you, then our willingness to kill anything that doesn't have higher intellect is perfectly fine. Should we just go with IQ? Should we go with some other intelligence test to give babies and other life forms a chance to succeed? If animals are smarter than some humans, should we protect them and never kill them?

News flash for y'all, but we've found that monkeys have the same IQ as a 2 to 3 year old. And Jessie's right, animals and pathogens outnumber us by billions if not trillions, and even if we all went extinct they would still survive... until the Sun blows up.

In the fetus, until 20 weeks it isn't even conscious. Therefore, it barely can be considered alive at all.

Farmermon

Is back once again!
A fetus will become a human, something an animal will never be. And do you honestly beleive animals rule the world? I do think they ought to be here because it's their planet as much as ours but they are not above humans.

says who? animals overpopulate us... and we ARE animals. I believe there is no such thing as "ruling the world". How can you rule an entire planet filled with 6 kingdoms of life?

We should only take what we need, not have all these machines and stores and stuff...

Personally, I would think abortion is wrong. But that doesn't mean it should be made illegal. God gave us freedom of choice not so the people with more governmental power can take it away from people with lesser power. And if you decide abortion is wrong, you don't have to get it, simple as that. Its wrong to force your beliefs on others, isn't it?