• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Abortion - right or wrong?

Pokemon Ace

Dragon Master
The topic of this thread is abortion - defined as the deliberate termination of a pregnancy by removal of an embryo or foetus from the womb, before it can survive.

There are a number of arguments for and against aborting unborn foetuses, many of which are valid and sensible. This is the thread in which we can provide our stances on the subject, and debate about it (in a considering and empathetic way so that we avoid flaming and personal insults) with other forum posters. To start with, I'll just list 3 arguments for and against abortion, and you can make your own opinions in the thread.

Arguments against abortion:

1) Life begins at conception, so abortion is no different to murder.
2) Women who do not wish to become pregnant should be responsible enough to use contraception or should undertake abstinence.
3) Females who decide to abort a foetus tend to be young girls or women with little experience in life, and regret their decision later in life.

Arguments for abortion:

1) Most abortions occur within the first trimester - when the foetus can not survive independent of its mother, which can not be considered murder.
2) Teenage mothers are more likely to drop out of school due to stress, and do not have the same prospects in life later on.
3) If a woman becomes pregnant after rape, abortion should seriously be considered because of the huge impact a child could have on her life.

Megaton666

Swampert Trainer
Totally for it!

The topic of this thread is abortion - Arguments against abortion:

1) Life begins at conception, so abortion is no different to murder.
2) Women who do not wish to become pregnant should be responsible enough to use contraception or should undertake abstinence.
3) Females who decide to abort a foetus tend to be young girls or women with little experience in life, and regret their decision later in life.

1. Life doesn't begin at conception. Life doesn't begin at all, It's a cycle. A sperm and an egg are alive prior to conception.
2. That's easy for people to say, not so easy to actually do. And sometimes accidents happen.
3. No, they don't.

Last edited:

7 tyranitars

Only the potential mother should be able to decide this the rest of us shouldn't have anything to say in such matter.

Grey Wind

It depends on the context. If the women is going to pass on something horrible to the kid, it's ok. It all really depends on each case.

Megaton666

Swampert Trainer
They can also decide not to have sex, and not have the possibility to become pregnant.

They can also decide to chop off the guy's penis, so he won't f**k them.

7 tyranitars

They can also decide not to have sex, and not have the possibility to become pregnant.

*cough*rape*cough* also why don't you try to have a baby you don't want for a while let's say 9 months and the rest of your life?

rykerr1

The Great Gublet
I think it's the mother's choice. I don't believe life starts at conception, so I'm OK with abortion as long as it is relatively early in the pregnancy.

Pokemon Ace

Dragon Master

I agree with your point - people should not be so selfish that they decide to have sex and do not accept any consequences which follow. Maybe abortion is too easy, so people willingly have sex, knowing the possible outcomes, so the ease of aborting a foetus should be reduced.

Dattebayo

Banned
You forgot another argument that's for abortion:

- The human population today causes space/food to become scarce, gas being produced to damage the ozone layer, and more animals are becoming endangered.

This is the sole reason why I support it.

Aegon

It depends. If the fetus was causing the woman to be ill or if it could cause her death, then abortion would be acceptable. One death is much better than two, isn't it? For any other case (except rape), I'm against it. If a woman got herself pregnant without wanting it to happen, then why should the baby suffer with death? It's a very serious topic, so I feel it should be left to the mother to decide.
They can also decide to chop off the guy's penis, so he won't f**k them.
There is such a thing as a vasectomy. I don't think one needs to go as far as a radical procedure like the one you described.

Pokemon Ace

Dragon Master

- The human population today causes space/food to become scarce, gas being produced to damage the ozone layer, and more animals are becoming endangered.

However, abortion is not the only way to limit our resource consumption - movements towards more environmental and 'green' methods of transport, fuel and resource use are gaining momentum today, so abortion should not be looked on as a way to keep ourselves with enough in the world - surely this is just a selfish stance to take?

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
somebody wins for most decisive debate topic...

wrong. the baby is a person with certain rights, namely the right to live. if the mom can choose to abort it, then the baby also has the right to decide if the mother can live

The human population today causes space/food to become scarce, gas being produced to damage the ozone layer, and more animals are becoming endangered.

abortion in most western countries doesnt really change this since there is an efficient enough distribution of resources. and thanks to chinas one-child policy theyre going to loose to india real quick. look at this, still waiting for it after 200 years

Last edited:

Megaton666

Swampert Trainer
There is such a thing as a vasectomy. I don't think one needs to go as far as a radical procedure like the one you described.

I was being sarcastic.

crystalzapdos

J.J. Swatt

This should be more if it gets too scarce, and you have to.

Kingsley

do my dance
Abortion is a woman's right. I'm all for it. Accidents happen, and during the time most abortions are performed the baby isn't even alive. You can't murder something that isn't living.