• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Abortion - right or wrong?

Ausgirl

Alishinai, what makes you think religion is a more unoriginal reason to reject abortion than the scientific method is an original reason to decide that it's okay? We are all working off talking points and things we have learned.

There is no reason religion should be such an exception. Why would you ask someone who is religious to keep their motivation to themselves? They have freedom of expression. Not liking someone's beliefs is a poor reason to tell them to "keep it to themselves".

It's unoriginal because when people use it as a reason it's because they can't think of their own reason -so they repeat the timeless "God says it's wrong so everyone should just listen" crap. Well not everyone is of faith. So we shouldn't all be forced to conform to your beliefs. If you think that abortions are wrong that's fine, just don't try to force your opinion on others expecially people like me who are agnostic.

I think that religious people have far to much freedom of expression and I'm sure that there are other's like me who would like religious people to take the backseat for a while and give the rest of us a chance to be heard.

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
It's unoriginal because when people use it as a reason it's because they can't think of their own reason -so they repeat the timeless "God says it's wrong so everyone should just listen" crap. Well not everyone is of faith. So we shouldn't all be forced to conform to your beliefs. If you think that abortions are wrong that's fine, just don't try to force your opinion on others expecially people like me who are agnostic.

I think that religious people have far to much freedom of expression and I'm sure that there are other's like me who would like religious people to take the backseat for a while and give the rest of us a chance to be heard.

I could just as easily say your impression of religion is unoriginal because I've heard it a gazillion times. Not everyone is of faith, but not everyone is nonreligious, either. Isn't that a moot point? Bringing your religious views to a debate is not equivalant to demanding everyone should "conform" to them any more than sharing any other view is equivalant to foisting it upon the other person - but telling people they can't bring their religion to a debate is very much asking them to conform to a nonreligious standard. That's hypocrisy.

Either way, agree to disagree?

No, science is peer reviewd. If any scientist tried to fabricate evidence, he would be caught on the spot.

It's not that foolproof...I've studied cases in college where scientists were not discredited for twenty years. But I still see your point.

Because, you know, no scientist has ever lied or falsified scientific evidence to support a theory.

That's the thing, if they falsify scientific evidence, they aren't a good example of a scientist...that's more comparable to a churchgoer inventing their own Bible verses.

Last edited:

Ausgirl

I could just as easily say your impression of religion is unoriginal because I've heard it a gazillion times. Not everyone is of faith, but not everyone is nonreligious, either. Isn't that a moot point? Bringing your religious views to a debate is not equivalant to demanding everyone should "conform" to them - but telling people they can't bring their religion to a debate is very much asking them to conform to a nonreligious standard. That is hypocrisy, especially since you make it clear that you believe they have "too much freedom of expression".

Give me a reason why abortions are wrong which has nothing to do with religion then.

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
Give me a reason why abortions are wrong which has nothing to do with religion then.

I don't think I should; for one, I've been arguing on the pro-choice side. For two, giving you a reason that has nothing to do with religion is contradictory to my point that religion is a valid angle to take in the abortion debate. But just read back a couple of pages and you'll see plenty of people showing concern for an "unborn child" without citing any religious motivation whatsoever. Ethan talked with a passionate respect for life and want for each embryo to have the opportunity to live. Plenty of people have said that they believe women should live with the consequences of their actions (and many have added rape is an exception) and go through with their pregnancies.

Ausgirl

I don't think I should; giving you a reason that has nothing to do with religion is contradictory to my point that religion is a valid angle to take in the abortion debate. But just read back a couple of pages and you'll see plenty of people showing concern for an "unborn child" without citing any religious motivation whatsoever. Ethan talked with a passionate respect for life and want for each embryo to have the opportunity to live. Plenty of people have said that they believe women should live with the consequences of their actions (and many have added rape is an exception) and go through with their pregnancies.

Telling me to read a couple of pages back is not only being lazy but it also shows that you have completely misunderstood my position on this matter.

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
Telling me to read a couple of pages back is not only being lazy but it also shows that you have completely misunderstood my position on this matter.

It was rhetorical; I summarized all the nonreligious reasons I remember anyway, so you don't actually have to read a few pages back. There's no need to call me lazy especially since I gave you more than one reason when you asked for only one. : /

I have read so far you are pro-choice, you believe it is solely a woman's right to choose, and you do not believe religion should be a factor in the debate. So far, I only agree with you about being pro-choice. I'm sorry if I misunderstood anything.

Ausgirl

It was rhetorical; I summarized all the nonreligious reasons I remember anyway, so you don't actually have to read a few pages back. There's no need to call me lazy especially since I gave you more than one reason when you asked for only one. : /

I have read so far you are pro-choice, you believe it is solely a woman's right to choose, and you do not believe religion should be a factor in the debate. So far, I only agree with you about being pro-choice. I'm sorry if I misunderstood anything.

Yes I can because they weren't your own reasons. Also I never said that it's solely a woman's right to choose.

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
Yes I can because they weren't your own reasons.

Oy vey. You're just splitting hairs now. They weren't religious. Goal satisfied. After that you're just moving the goalpost.

Also I never said that it's solely a woman's right to choose.

You're right, sorry.

Last edited:

Ausgirl

Oy vey. You're just splitting hairs now. They weren't religious. Goal satisfied. After that you're just moving the goalpost.

I challenged you, not Ethan etc, to come up with a reason why abortions are wrong without refering to religion.

Last edited:

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
I challenged you, not Ethan etc, to come up with a reason why abortions are wrong without refering to religion.

Why would you challenge someone who's pro-choice to come up with an original reason why abortion is wrong...? Citing everyone else's nonreligious arguments demonstrates clearly that there are nonreligious arguments against abortion. You never specified they had to be my arguments, and changing it to "it has to be your own argument" is beside the point of the religion argument and just moving the goalposts.

tl;dr It was nice debating with you.

Ausgirl

Why would you challenge someone who's pro-choice to come up with an original reason why abortion is wrong...? Citing everyone else's nonreligious arguments demonstrates clearly that there are nonreligious arguments against abortion. You never specified they had to be my arguments, and changing it to "it has to be your own argument" is beside the point of the religion argument and just moving the goalposts.

tl;dr It was nice debating with you.

Well for a while there it sounded like you weren't.

tyty

Poke Dealer
I'm against abortion because it's killing another human.
I skimmed through this and some people said that embryos were viruses who couldn't live without their mother and therefore aren't considered alive. A portion of the elderly, and a portion of mentally disabled people, can't live without assistance. Are they not considered alive?
Sure, some might argue that the embryo technically isn't alive. However, eventually it will be. That would-have-been person may have changed the earth.
Anyway, if you aren't ready to support a baby(such as still in school), or you don't even want to keep it, foster homes are an alternative. I see no reason why a baby should be killed for any of the arguments you people brought up.

Grei

not the color

I find it amusing that you're accusing SunnyC of being a poor debater here.

I'm against abortion because it's killing another human.
I skimmed through this and some people said that embryos were viruses who couldn't live without their mother and therefore aren't considered alive.

Correction: they said they were parasites. Big difference, really.

tyty said:
A portion of the elderly, and a portion of mentally disabled people, can't live without assistance. Are they not considered alive?

I suppose that's sort of beside the point. The elderly and the mentally handicapped are capable of things that humans can do, like communicate and make decisions for themselves, even if it's rather basic. An embryo cannot do that, and I guess it's debatable that a fetus cannot either.

tyty said:
Sure, some might argue that the embryo technically isn't alive. However, eventually it will be. That would-have-been person may have changed the earth.

My car has the potential to run over a duck--does that make my car a duck-murdering machine?

The point I'm making--and that I've made in this thread before--is that the potential for life is not equivalent to life itself. Just because something can become a life doesn't mean it should be treated like a life.

And the point that the potential baby could "be the next Hitler/Einstein" or could "change the world" is not exactly a debate point. Yes, he or she could have changed the world. No matter how small, they would have changed something on the earth. They could have easily done something very good for the world, but they could have just as easily done something very awful for the world. Since there's no way of knowing if the child would have grown to be a saint or a sinner, there's no point in trying to use that to gain leverage in a debate, because it's a meaningless point.

tyty said:
Anyway, if you aren't ready to support a baby(such as still in school), or you don't even want to keep it, foster homes are an alternative. I see no reason why a baby should be killed for any of the arguments you people brought up.

Well, for one thing, we don't view the child as a baby, or a living thing at all. It's an embryo, without feelings or thoughts or, arguably, rights. However, the mother--who is bearing this embryo--has the right to her own body. If the baby is an intrusion on her life--if she cannot keep it for any reason at all--then she should have the right to abort the embryo and to go about with her life. What if she's a model? What if she's an actress? What if her livelihood depends on her figure and her body? If she gets pregnant and loses her figure, her income is now gone. What if she simply cannot afford a child, and doesn't want to go through the pain of childbirth if she isn't going to be able to keep the child?

There are a lot of situations where the mother can't just "deal with it" and bear a child. Adoption systems aren't foolproof in the least, and some children are never adopted. Lots of pro-life advocates state that abortions shouldn't just be the answer to an unwanted pregnancy, but how is it any less cruel to dump a child in a foster home, where they have no guarantee of ever having a real family?

In any case, it's unfair to claim that not a single pro-choice advocate has brought up a good enough point to justify an abortion. There are many, many reasons why abortions would be preferred and necessary. Even in what seems to be the most popular abortion situation here: what if the mother was raped? (I hate using this point, but it's necessary here.) If you answer that abortions are OK for a mother who is raped, then you yourself have admitted that there is a good reason for abortion of the circumstances are poor enough.

Beyond that, pro-choice advocates don't feel that they have the right to dictate if a mother is able to control her own life make choices for herself. Many (not all) pro-life advocates, consciously or subconsciously, seem to feel that they do have the right to dictate. Due to this, I could easily make a claim that no pro-life advocate has really presented any justification for why they feel that the mother cannot make her own choices. It wouldn't be fair to make this claim, so it'd be best if those on your side didn't, either.

Last edited:

Pesky Persian

Caffeine Queen
I'm all for religious people deciding against abortions because of their own faith but religious people should keep their opinions to themselves.

This rubbed me the wrong way so much. This thread is "Abortion- Right or Wrong?" not "Abortion- Should it still be legal?" This entire thread is more based on opinion than anything else. Religion is certainly a big factor that comes into play when someone decides whether they see abortion as right or wrong. And why should religious people have to keep their opinions to themselves just because you don't like it? They have a right to their opinion just as much as you do. I don't know how someone saying, "I believe abortion is wrong because I believe life begins at conception" suddenly translates into shoving one's religion down another person's throat. Because apparently, "I'm agnostic/atheist and religious people need to shut up" is clearly not pushing your beliefs/opinions on other people, is it? I find it to be an incredibly ignorant, intolerant, and narrow-minded viewpoint to have. I see people bashing religion on these forums every day and I could easily tell them "Well, that's all well and good that you think that, but you should keep your non-religious opinion to yourself." I don't because even if I don't agree with the way they're acting, they have a right to voice their opinions just like every other person here. If you don't like it, you don't have to read it or respond to it, but I don't think you should tell them that they should keep their opinions to themselves just because they happen to identify with a religion and you don't. And obviously, I don't agree with you telling people to keep their opinions to themselves, and I will respect the fact that you have that right. I'm just saying that I don't agree with it whatsoever.

Last edited:

Mr G W

Insect power
Better than having the baby born and be abandoned on whatever place. I even saw cases of abandoning babies on trash cans.

When you abort the baby isnt even a baby yet, its just a bunch of cells, so you are not really killing it.

Easily different, but still incorrect.
Well, for one thing, we don't view the child as a baby, or a living thing at all.
It would be horribly erroneous of us not to view the child as a "living thing," as a "living thing" is indisputably what it is. I think you misspoke here.
However, the mother--who is bearing this embryo--has the right to her own body.
She has the right to determine the ends of her own body, but to what degree is the child an extension of her body?
If the baby is an intrusion on her life--if she cannot keep it for any reason at all--then she should have the right to abort the embryo and to go about with her life. What if she's a model? What if she's an actress? What if her livelihood depends on her figure and her body?
This applies equally well in situations where her livelihood and income are in jeopardy because of one dependent upon her that isn't in utero.
Many (not all) pro-life advocates, consciously or subconsciously, seem to feel that they do have the right to dictate. Due to this, I could easily make a claim that no pro-life advocate has really presented any justification for why they feel that the mother cannot make her own choices.
She can make her own choices, and I sincerely hope she does. But one's right to make choices stops at the line whereat one begins to imperil another.

ndralcasid

1st of da month
I think people are confusing the topic....

It's whether abortion is right or wrong (which I believe is wrong), not whether it should be legal (which I think it should, despite my previous claim). However, the question is kind of stupid, IMO, to begin with because it's such an opinionated issue. Many people have far too many different definitions and philosophies of life that I don't think one side will ever come to terms with the other.

tyty

Poke Dealer
There's not really a big difference. A parasite is an organism that is in a relationship with another organism where one organism(parasite) benefits at the expense of the other(host). A virus is an "infectious agent" that carries out only one life process-to reproduce, which it must have a host to do. Therefore, a virus is a parasite because one organism benefits at the expense of the other- the virus must destroy the host's cells in order to take over. A virus isn't alive.

I suppose that's sort of beside the point. The elderly and the mentally handicapped are capable of things that humans can do, like communicate and make decisions for themselves, even if it's rather basic. An embryo cannot do that, and I guess it's debatable that a fetus cannot either.
Usually an abortion takes place when the mother is 10-12 weeks into the pregnancy. At this point, the fetus has a beating heart. Any human that is alive has a beating heart, any human that isn't alive doesn't have a beating heart for obvious reasons. It is impossible for humans to live without a beating heart.
Life:1. existence in physical world: the quality that makes living animals and plants different from dead organisms and inorganic matter. Its functions include the ability to take in food, adapt to the environment, and grow.
A fetus takes in food through the mother, adapts to the environment, and grows, therefore it has the quality of life.
My car has the potential to run over a duck--does that make my car a duck-murdering machine?
I suppose that was a crappy argument on my part- as stated before, since abortions take place usually after 5 months of pregnancy, the fetus has the qualities of life and therefore aborting it would be murder.

The point I'm making--and that I've made in this thread before--is that the potential for life is not equivalent to life itself. Just because something can become a life doesn't mean it should be treated like a life. And the point that the potential baby could "be the next Hitler/Einstein" or could "change the world" is not exactly a debate point. Yes, he or she could have changed the world. No matter how small, they would have changed something on the earth. They could have easily done something very good for the world, but they could have just as easily done something very awful for the world. Since there's no way of knowing if the child would have grown to be a saint or a sinner, there's no point in trying to use that to gain leverage in a debate, because it's a meaningless point.

Well, for one thing, we don't view the child as a baby, or a living thing at all. It's an embryo, without feelings or thoughts or, arguably, rights. However, the mother--who is bearing this embryo--has the right to her own body. If the baby is an intrusion on her life--if she cannot keep it for any reason at all--then she should have the right to abort the embryo and to go about with her life. What if she's a model? What if she's an actress? What if her livelihood depends on her figure and her body? If she gets pregnant and loses her figure, her income is now gone. What if she simply cannot afford a child, and doesn't want to go through the pain of childbirth if she isn't going to be able to keep the child?
By the end of the first trimester of pregnancy, the fetus has a heartbeat, brain waves, and all major body parts. Therefore, it can be considered a living being, and not just any living being, but technically a human. EVERY human has certain natural rights.
Look at the first few words of the Declaration of Independence.
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are LIFE, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."
Therefore, both the mother and the living fetus have these rights. The fetus has the right to live and the mother has the right to the pursuit of happiness.
Since these rights are naturally equivelant, a compromise is necessary. This compromise is, in my opinion, foster care/adoption. The mother exercises her right to the pursuit of happiness and the fetus exercises his/her right to life.

There are a lot of situations where the mother can't just "deal with it" and bear a child. Adoption systems aren't foolproof in the least, and some children are never adopted. Lots of pro-life advocates state that abortions shouldn't just be the answer to an unwanted pregnancy, but how is it any less cruel to dump a child in a foster home, where they have no guarantee of ever having a real family?
Sure, adoption systems may not be the best. However, they're a compromise.
If you're buying a necklace from a pawn shop, the pawn shop may want $1000 for it, and you may only be willing to pay $500. Therefore, you compromise on $750. Did you walk away spending more than you wanted to? Yeah, you did. Did the pawn shop get less than it wanted to? Yeah, it did. Therefore, neither party was extremely happy about the deal they got, though both were somewhat pleased. It's the same with adoption- the kid might have wanted biological, caring parents, but gotten foster, caring parents. The mother may have wanted to abort him and never see him again, but instead, let him survive and put him up for adoption. Both the mother and child made a sacrafice, but both parties got away with at least part of what they wanted.

In any case, it's unfair to claim that not a single pro-choice advocate has brought up a good enough point to justify an abortion. There are many, many reasons why abortions would be preferred and necessary. Even in what seems to be the most popular abortion situation here: what if the mother was raped? (I hate using this point, but it's necessary here.) If you answer that abortions are OK for a mother who is raped, then you yourself have admitted that there is a good reason for abortion of the circumstances are poor enough.
I, in fact, do believe that if the circumstances are poor enough and there is no other option at all, such as if both the mother and child will die if the child is kept, abortion should be an alternative. Desperate times call for desperate measures, and even then I would be against it if the abortion is later than 4 weeks into the pregnancy. Once again, if the mother is raped, then there is only a 4 week span in which I personally deem it ok, even though I am still reluctant to support this kind of abortion.

Beyond that, pro-choice advocates don't feel that they have the right to dictate if a mother is able to control her own life make choices for herself. Many (not all) pro-life advocates, consciously or subconsciously, seem to feel that they do have the right to dictate. Due to this, I could easily make a claim that no pro-life advocate has really presented any justification for why they feel that the mother cannot make her own choices. It wouldn't be fair to make this claim, so it'd be best if those on your side didn't, either.[/QUOTE]
I said "I see no reason why a baby should be killed for any of the arguments you people brought up."
Never did I say that there were no arguments, I simply stated that I didn't find any arguments that I, personally, found to sway my view on abortion. Don't twist words.

Last edited:

ndralcasid

1st of da month
I think something that people need to realize is that many pro-choice individuals do not actually advocate abortion in itself.

Pro-choice vs. Pro-Life is usually an issue about choice to abort, which is not what this debate is about. This debate is about the morality of abortion, although morality does indeed come into play with the choice issue for some.

Missingno
I think that unless it is a rape case, the woman had the choice to aviod becoming pregnant and when she chose to take the chance, she is accepting that if she becomes pregnant she should carry and give birth to the child.