• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Abortion - Under what circumstances should it be allowed?

Yveltal96

A little more human
- Unwanted pregnancies, how do you plan to reduce these?
Keep your legs closed

- Abortions themselves, when should the mother be allowed to decide for this, and why? Pro-lifers will have to deal more heavily with the other two questions due to the stance they adopt.

Once she decides to keep her legs closed Jk, but I am more pro life on this issue, and I do think adoption should be one of the main options, yes I know the system is riddled, but it can be fixed. Not gunna go into the details how, because I would rather not get too into this as last time I did debates, I made my history teacher cry....

- What alternatives to abortion would you propose, and how would you enhance them?

Adoption, but again, not going to get into depth on it at the moment. Maybe later once I stop pulling my hair out.

Blazekickblaziken

Snarktastic Ditz
Keep your legs closed

I take it you missed the whole "Abstinance only education doesn't work." part. Also, "keep your legs closed" is usually directed specifically at women. While I'll assume best case scenario, that you meant it at both men and women, I would like to repeat: Women don't get pregnant on their own.

Also @JDavidC I do applaud(although still disagree) your stance on pro-life, since it is one of the more nuanced and reasonable approaches to abortion I've ever seen. The problem is that(at least here in the US) most pro-lifers aren't like that.

Many people have an attitude that goes something along the lines of "Oh, you got knocked up? well tough bananas, now raise that baby you irresponsible ****. An abortion? No way, you made a mistake now pay for the consequences."

Now this doesn't sit well with me for a few reasons. 1) We don't know the circumstances that led up to the abortion. 2) Everyone seems to magically forget that women don't get pregnant on their own. 3) The baby is used as a punishment for percieved(or maybe even actual) irresponsibility.(Which is especially horrible considering that if the baby's life is so sacred, then why is it being used as a punishment.) 4)These same people who so adamantly want you to not abort the baby don't want to adopt children themselves 5) These same people who are so pro-life, don't really want to help the mother access health-care and hate government welfare programs such as WIC (considering that economic status might be part of the reason these women are getting abortions.) (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/21/north-dakota-abortion-_n_2926858.html a quote from the article -Hawken said she has introduced bills during her 17 years in office that she considers to be "pro-life," such as a prenatal care for minors bill and a bill ensuring quality childcare for single moms, but those were rejected by her colleagues. "It seems like we want to get [babies] here," she said, "but we don't care if they're healthy once they get here. That's just bad policy." 6) There isn't this realization that that baby you saved is eventually going to be someone's neighbor. Sure you "saved it's ife, but for what? To put it in an abusive household? To put it in a household that can't afford it (wether you are comfortable admitting it or not, babies are expensive)? To put it in the adoption system where it might or might not get adopted? Where if it does it means that some other kid didn't get adopted. This isn't some imaginary kid whose life you saved, this is an actual living breathing human being who's existence has consequences. If we're forcing parents to have children they don't want, we're not exactly putting that kid on the path to become a contributing member of society. Yes it's a cold, detached way of looking at things, but it's valid none the less.

7) This is a specific instnce of number 5. If we're going to force a woman to bear a child that's the product of rape, I hope we're also willing to pay for years of counseling for the mother and for years of counseling for the child once he learns about how he was concieved. These so called pro-life people wouldn't be so thrilled at the prospect of that.

Yveltal96

A little more human
I take it you missed the whole "Abstinance only education doesn't work." part. Also, "keep your legs closed" is usually directed specifically at women. While I'll assume best case scenario, that you meant it at both men and women, I would like to repeat: Women don't get pregnant on their own.

I never said they did. Not to mention that rape is only 0.3% of the causes for abortion, also there is something called birth control. Abortion isn't birth control.

Hey does anyone know I was born on birth control and protected sex! so was my sister! my mom was nice enough to keep us, but when stuff like that happens, people should be allowed to abort.

Peter Quill

star-lord
I don't care how many abortions are done in a certain country relative to others. I could not care less about statistics I am saying abortion is wrong full stop. There should not be a single abortion.

I think that this is something you should care about. Even in countries that don't have legalized abortion, it's happening anyways. Having a goal of having no single abortion is incredibly stupid. Women whether you like it or not are going to find a way to abort the kid they don't want. To me, rather than trying to police them for something that's going to happen, I'd rather they have access to proper healthcare and safe procedures which wouldn't endanger their lives.

I think that this is something you should care about. Even in countries that don't have legalized abortion, it's happening anyways. Having a goal of having no single abortion is incredibly stupid. Women whether you like it or not are going to find a way to abort the kid they don't want. To me, rather than trying to police them for something that's going to happen, I'd rather they have access to proper healthcare and safe procedures which wouldn't endanger their lives.

EXCACTLY! thanks for your post!

Blazekickblaziken

Snarktastic Ditz
Not to mention that rape is only 0.3% of the causes for abortion, also there is something called birth control. Abortion isn't birth control.

The only reason I mentioned rape was as a reference to the conversation above about how women who have been raped should still be forced to carry the baby to term. Also I never said abortion was a form of birth control. As far as I'm concerned birth control is to keep you from getting pregnant, which abortion doesn't do, so I guess that means I agree with you on that.

Yveltal96

A little more human
Johnston Archive said:
98% of abortions in the United States are elective, including socio-economic reasons or for birth control.

As far as you're concerned, yes, but as far as 98% of abortion cases, it is.

The only reason I mentioned rape was as a reference to the conversation above about how women who have been raped should still be forced to carry the baby to term. Also I never said abortion was a form of birth control. As far as I'm concerned birth control is to keep you from getting pregnant, which abortion doesn't do, so I guess that means I agree with you on that.

May i ask which side you are debating on? Abortoin not being allowed or abortoin being allowed?

JDavidC

^ It's more complicated than that. It's the topic title that counts here, under what circumstances would you allow abortion, and what would you do to deal with the fallout of your decisions if they came to be law?

Nightmareisalive

Hey does anyone know I was born on birth control and protected sex! so was my sister! my mom was nice enough to keep us, but when stuff like that happens, people should be allowed to abort.

The thing with that though it's hard to prove someone has used the proper protection and taken the proper steps to avoid pregnancy. There will be some genuine cases but there will much much more fake cases were people will claim to of used protection when they actually didn't just to get an abortion. People like to lie when it means avoiding something they don't want to do.

Ok thankz JD

Yes of course it should be allowed! some people aren't ready, what about under age preganancies?! what about when you have tried your best not to get preganent to the extent that you use both protected sex products AND birth control?! i think if you don't want a child you don't have to have it! if you get raped, and are preganent then yeah you don't want THEIR (or multiple peoples in one that usually cause' a mental illness) babies!

The thing with that though it's hard to prove someone has used the proper protection and taken the proper steps to avoid pregnancy. There will be some genuine cases but there will much much more fake cases were people will claim to of used protection when they actually didn't just to get an abortion. People like to lie when it means avoiding something they don't want to do.

There was traces of Birth control *facepalm*

Yveltal96

A little more human
Ok thankz JD

Yes of course it should be allowed! some people aren't ready, what about under age preganancies?! what about when you have tried your best not to get preganent to the extent that you use both protected sex products AND birth control?! i think if you don't want a child you don't have to have it! if you get raped, and are preganent then yeah you don't want THEIR (or multiple peoples in one that usually cause' a mental illness) babies!

A condom and birth control would suffice. If they're gunna be irresponsible, at least try to be safe about it. Why else are we paying so much tax dollars for sex education?

Nightmareisalive

Ok thankz JD

There was traces of Birth control *facepalm*

So there was traces of the birth control in your mothers system? Also I was talking in general. Condoms are one form of birth control yet I don't think (to my knowledge anyway) leave much traces behind and I don't think anyone would be keeping a used condom a proof in case it doesn't work. That is what makes it easy to fake having used protection most people usually throw away the protection after use and pregnancy doesn't become clear until sometime after sex.

So there was traces of the birth control in your mothers system? Also I was talking in general. Condoms are one form of birth control yet I don't think (to my knowledge anyway) leave much traces behind and I don't think anyone would be keeping a used condom a proof in case it doesn't work. That is what makes it easy to fake having used protection most people usually throw away the protection after use and pregnancy doesn't become clear until sometime after sex.

i am just leading of my moms words (which are true cause she does know a lot about it), all i know is there is a condom and something else for women

yes! thats what i mean but cause i wasn't watching them i wouldn't know and it would be teribly akward to go and walk up to my mom and ask her XD

Garbodor.

What the hell are you going on about? murder is illegal in all country's and in in most country's people still commit murder anyway, does that mean we should legalize murder? Yes, of course they will find a way to abort and murder their unborn child but what I am saying is, abortion should not be allowed legally! If they are caught then they should be viewed like any other murderers and given capital punishment, it's that simple.

The only thing very sensitive about abortion is when a women is raped, but how much of abortions do you think happen because the women was raped?And just because some women are pregnant due to rape does not mean abortion should remain legal.
In the UK euthanasia is illegal but abortion is legal, this is pathetic logic. A living man who is under pain does not have the choice to die but an unborn child who has no choice can have it's choice made by a totally different human being and killed.
Being anti-abortion does not mean being anti-women's rights. Who the hell are women to decide if their child should not live? It is not the women or the man's decisions. The law should protect all unborn children.

Last edited:

Yveltal96

A little more human
Ok, no offense to anyone, but I think we should stick to some facts, not what their mom has said or flaming, this isn't Biden vs. Paul. Let's make this a worth while debate