• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Abortion - Under what circumstances should it be allowed?

Andrew Shard

Shards of Fury...
Abortion is Portugal is legal since 2010 or so, and so far there has been no ethical, political or medicinal problems. Think of it this way: if a women is violated (I don't know what's the word but I mean obligated to have sex) and she gets pregnant, does she have the duty to raise that child? I mean... It's not fair. She didn't want to have a son but still, she's obliated to it?

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
Abortion is Portugal is legal since 2010 or so, and so far there has been no ethical, political or medicinal problems. Think of it this way: if a women is violated (I don't know what's the word but I mean obligated to have sex) and she gets pregnant, does she have the duty to raise that child? I mean... It's not fair. She didn't want to have a son but still, she's obliated to it?
No, she is not obligated to raise the child, but I believe that she should at least let the child be born, and then put it up for adoption.

arized

#hsb
If it came to my body, I would like the choice to do whatever I need. I'd like others to have this choice, too. If an abortion is going to be cheaper and safer, then I want to have that option. There are a few things I would consider with this: how much money is it going to cost me to raise a child? How much will the hospital visit cost me? As a woman, I would be out of work during a period of pregnancy, can I afford that while nursing another being inside of me? If I can't afford to raise a child but can afford a hospital visit or a sponsored hospital visit by an adopting family, then, I would most likely do that. If I can't afford any of that and I can't find an adopting family, then, abortion would be my only option. If I can't birth and/or raise a healthy child and/or find a family that could, I would need the final option or my life is effectively at stake, too. Not having the option is detrimental to both mother and future child.

Additionally, legalising abortions should mean they will be regulated and standardised and so they are proportionately safer. Elsewise, women are going to receive abortions that may be unsafe for their own bodies because it's their only option.

Legal abortions doesn't mean I'm going to have unprotected sex and get an abortion every weekend after a bender. Legal abortions doesn't even mean I'm ever going to get one.

Sadib

Time Lord Victorious
No, she is not obligated to raise the child, but I believe that she should at least let the child be born, and then put it up for adoption.

If you think she should be forced to go through with the nine month pregnancy period, I think you should adopt the child.

What? You don't want to because it would be an unneeded burden on yourself?

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
If you think she should be forced to go through with the nine month pregnancy period, I think you should adopt the child.

What? You don't want to because it would be an unneeded burden on yourself?

I know personally, if I ever do have a child, I will adopt (I was adopted myself). But that's really beside the point, there are many people out there who want a child and for whatever reason, choose to adopt. Your statement seems to insinuate that there are no people willing to adopt, there are many.

Grey Wind

I don't think you realise how much pregnancy can actually affect a women's life. Even if you weren't assaulted the hormones will still have a huge affect on your body and those affects don't just disappear after nine months.

Carrying the baby to term also serves as a constant reminder of what the woman went through when she was raped. It's practically impossible to move past your assault if you're carrying the child that's a product of it. I'd also imagine that actually giving up the baby would cause a wide range of emotions (especially the turmoil surrounding where the child came from), and considering so many women already suffer from post-natal depression it's pretty disgusting to force a woman to go through that.

Additionally, legalising abortions should mean they will be regulated and standardised and so they are proportionately safer. Elsewise, women are going to receive abortions that may be unsafe for their own bodies because it's their only option.
This is a really good point. A lot of people don't seem to realise how common illegal abortions are.

Last edited:

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
I don't think you realise how much pregnancy can actually affect a women's life. Even if you weren't assaulted the hormones will still have a huge affect on your body and those affects don't just disappear after nine months.

Carrying the baby to term also serves as a constant reminder of what the woman went through when she was raped. It's practically impossible to move past your assault if you're carrying the child that's a product of it. I'd also imagine that actually giving up the baby would cause a wide range of emotions (especially the turmoil surrounding where the child came from), and considering so many women already suffer from post-natal depression it's pretty disgusting to force a woman to go through that.
I admit it, its not pretty, but to save a life though?

I know personally, if I ever do have a child, I will adopt (I was adopted myself). But that's really beside the point, there are many people out there who want a child and for whatever reason, choose to adopt. Your statement seems to insinuate that there are no people willing to adopt, there are many.

That's perfectly fine that you would adopt. I applaud you for that.
But if someone knocked on your door right now, and said "take this baby, it's yours now", would you take it?

You didn't WANT to adopt it (now), you weren't planning on it, it was given to you, regardless of your plans it's on your doorstep. Would you keep it?

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
That's perfectly fine that you would adopt. I applaud you for that.
But if someone knocked on your door right now, and said "take this baby, it's yours now", would you take it?

You didn't WANT to adopt it (now), you weren't planning on it, it was given to you, regardless of your plans it's on your doorstep. Would you keep it?
Most likely not, but it if the person just left it on my doorstep, I would take the child inside, and attempt to find it a home, not just kill it.

Most likely not, but it if the person just left it on my doorstep, I would take the child inside, and attempt to find it a home, not just kill it.

Good, I'm glad you would choose to do such a thing. . .
However, there's a difference between this situation and an abortion.
You can't kill what isn't alive.

And when do you believe that point occurs? When it is born? Sometime before that?

When it's able to live independently. . .
Which a Fetus can't do.

So when a person cannot live without life support, they are not alive?
Disregard, I read that wrong.

There's a HUGE difference between a fully developed human and a fetus.

Last edited:
Not by the definition you just provided. And not to mention that parasites, though they do not support their own life, are considered to be alive.

Oh, so then next time you have a Tapeworm, Botfly or any other parasite be sure to support it and never get rid of it.

There's a difference between a fully developed human, with a mind, heart, and cognitive thinking and a fetus which is nothing but a sack of cells.
If you consider a fetus alive, then our sperm is just as alive. . .
Thus, condoms are essentially abortion that you wrap around yourself. It prevents life doesn't it?
Should condoms be illegal?
Of course not.
But it prevents UNWANTED children.

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
Oh, so then next time you have a Tapeworm, Botfly or any other parasite be sure to support it and never get rid of it.

There's a difference between a fully developed human, with a mind, heart, and cognitive thinking and a fetus which is nothing but a sack of cells.
If you consider a fetus alive, then our sperm is just as alive. . .
Thus, condoms are essentially abortion that you wrap around yourself. It prevents life doesn't it?
Should condoms be illegal?
Of course not. Because it prevents UNWANTED children.
No matter how long you wait, a tapeworm will never attain sentience.
I personally believe that life begins when the sperm and egg fuse and start growing(which is basically instantly afterwards).

No matter how long you wait, a tapeworm will never attain sentience.
I personally believe that life begins when the sperm and egg fuse and start growing(which is basically instantly afterwards).

Then I ask, what makes that alive and not the sperm or egg?
Sperm grow as well. . .
Same with eggs. . .
Why is it considered alive when they come together?