• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Abortion - Under what circumstances should it be allowed?

John Madden

resident policy guy
Or you could look at Government Grants, is it hard? is it exhausting? Of course, but hard times are sometimes required for the betterment of a person's life.

well sure you could look at government grants

actually getting them, on the other hand...

...and god help you if you'll need to go to grad school to find steady employment in your field

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
government grants aren't available to everyone. trust me, most people who actually want that path have looked at every possible outcome. and that information is not as easily accessible either, if you don't have internet (which many poor people don't at home) you won't really be able to find that stuff very much. and before you say public internet sources, those aren't open all day so someone on a work schedule probably won't get to use those reliably, especially if they don't have a car.

and what bobjr said is true too. schools do not work very well with work. hell last quarter i had that problem: on tuesdays and thursdays i had hematology from 8 am to 9:30 am and then virology from 3 pm to 4:30 pm. i needed both classes for my degree and they are only offered once a year, and my work refused to give me a shift during that long break in the middle of the day. so that's pretty much two whole days wasted where i can't work. that situation is not unique to my major or school either; pretty much everyone trying to do both will run into that at least once, and if you absolutely need your work in order to live, your school will take a backseat, resulting in more time and money wasted trying to get that degree.

BigLutz

Banned
government grants aren't available to everyone. trust me, most people who actually want that path have looked at every possible outcome. and that information is not as easily accessible either, if you don't have internet (which many poor people don't at home) you won't really be able to find that stuff very much. and before you say public internet sources, those aren't open all day so someone on a work schedule probably won't get to use those reliably, especially if they don't have a car.

You do realize many jobs will reasonably work around your schedule especially if it is purely online classes.

and what bobjr said is true too. schools do not work very well with work. hell last quarter i had that problem: on tuesdays and thursdays i had hematology from 8 am to 9:30 am and then virology from 3 pm to 4:30 pm. i needed both classes for my degree and they are only offered once a year, and my work refused to give me a shift during that long break in the middle of the day. so that's pretty much two whole days wasted where i can't work. that situation is not unique to my major or school either; pretty much everyone trying to do both will run into that at least once, and if you absolutely need your work in order to live, your school will take a backseat, resulting in more time and money wasted trying to get that degree.

The problem there to be brutally honest is choosing a major that you want, not one that is the quickest and easiest path to landing a better job as fast as possible to improve living conditions. Its great that you want to pursue that path, but if keeping a job and getting a education as fast as possible to move forward, then choosing a degree that requires alot of lab work or classes that cannot be taken online or at hours at night when you are not working, isn't really going to do it.

But if you don't mind this is getting too personal and off topic for me so I am going to bow out for now.

Last edited:

John Madden

resident policy guy
You do realize many jobs will reasonably work around your schedule especially if it is purely online classes.

this is assuming you're lucky enough to be attending a university that actually has online classes for anything beyond 1xx/2xx-level courses. even ohio ****ing state didn't have this luxury while i was in undergrad (and that was as recent as last summer) and it's one of the best-funded in the entire country.

Last edited:

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
no actually they won't. maybe you have been lucky with yours but especially if you need to have a full time job with benefits, most of the time you get stuck working a set schedule and can't change it every quarter/semester when your classes change. and online classes barely exist at reputable universities, i have taken exactly 3 and i specifically sought them out. people who don't know the options exist probably won't find them at all.

and i am in a STEM field, which most people say (often rightfully so) is the way to get a job more easily after college. there simply isn't a magic major that will both provide a good path to employment and won't require a lot of classtime and studying.

John Madden

resident policy guy
while we're still vaguely on the subject of hobby lobby, it's really interesting* how they only seemed to develop these sincere moral convictions against plan B, Ella and IUDs after the contraceptive mandate became a thing, and even more interesting** that they are arguing that it poses a substantial burden to those sincere moral convictions in spite of the fact that their insurance coverage covered those things without Jesus striking them down until shortly before they filed the lawsuit that started all of this to begin with in 2012, and still more interesting*** that biglutz seems to want to keep banging the "religious freedom" chicken's brains out in both this thread and the homosexuality thread in spite of those two things (and others, like "state laws he defends tend to violate the hell out of the fourteenth amendment" and "the RFRA does not apply to federal law")

* completely ****ing unsurprising
** even less surprising, somehow
*** completely in line with what appears to be hatred of opinions that wouldn't cause cognitive dissonance in anyone capable of experiencing it

Last edited:

Blazekickblaziken

Snarktastic Ditz

Most jobs that are this accommodating are customer service jobs, like retail, waiting, or fast food. Which usually don't pay well or give many hours to begin with. Life isn't a self help book where you just need to try hard enough and all your dreams come true. Sometimes no matter how hard you try, things are just not going to happen.