• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

About Gates to Infinity...

Milennin

*hugs Absol*
I've asked here for information on Mystery Dungeon a month ago, and that got me to buy Explorers of Sky, which I really liked (a lot better than I'd expected from a non-main Pokémon game). I want more Mystery Dungeon, and am interested in maybe getting Gates to Infinity. I've read a little about it, and it seems to be getting mixed opinions. Its main downfall seems to be the lack of playable Pokémon, but honestly, I think I could live with that. In Explorers of Sky, a lot of the storyline wasn't playable with the Pokémon I wanted to bring with me (Absol). I guess I'd be fine using just my character + sidekick if I can't find my favourites in it. But also the story seems to be considered less interesting than Explorers of Sky, and with less post-story content.

So, question is. Is it worth considering buying at all if I've already played Explorers of Sky? Or to those who've played both, is the downgrade too noticeable to enjoy it?

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Yeah, the lack of Pokemon was a downside.
I enjoyed the story though, it was also nice to play as Unova Pokemon.
I'd recommend it.

Pokemonspecialgerman

I know many fans hate gti... but I loved it! I loved the story, the graphics, and the soundtrack. Its such a beautiful game.
The lack of pokemon was a problem, but not the main problem. Gti had had many many gameplay changes compared to Sky, and often in a bad way. Eeh for instance, these debuff healfields reset every good buffs too now. Ghosts can't fly through walls anymore. Hunger does only exist in certain dungeons. And your vision in the dungeons is smaller as in Sky and stuff like that.
It is a little bit more annoying to play. But if you can accept that and if you really love mystery dungeon: Go for it. The story made every buck worth it, for me.

Rakurai

Most of those "bad" changes were done for balancing purposes.

It's not so easy to plow through floors when you have to worry about losing your buffs, being able to pass through walls was something of a gamebreaker (Plus you can still do it with a Mobile Scarf, though it damages you), and hunger was a non-issue outside of the dungeons that don't let you bring items (Which are the only ones it exists in still).

Overall, I found the gameplay to be much more enjoyable, largely due to how much faster the default movement speed in dungeons is.

Ironthunder

The Uncultured One
I highly recommend GTI, it is THE best Mystery Dungeon I've played, which means better than Blue rescue and explorers of time. Still, the ease of diagonal movement is a massive boost (Always harder on a control pad with only up/down/left/right) and the Paradise was a nice touch that I wish could be incorporated into the mainstream. Still, it has downsides, such as the lack of pokemon, but hey, no-one honestly expects all 649 that there were back then to be in a mystery dungeon game, think of the programming requirements!

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
I don't think Gates to Infinity is as bad as people say it is.

Granted, there were a lot of disappointing things in GtI, but doesn't stop it from being a good game. It has the epic storytelling the other ones have, a few neat features here and there and the familiar gameplay. If you've played other Mystery Dungeons, this one is at least worth a try.

Skylander Sylveon

Top Coordinator
some people will say it was a total let-down compared to it's predecessors, but in honesty, it was pretty touching. ^^

sure, the text was slow, the characters kept repeating themselves but in the end, the lessons you got from it were really deep. at the end, i literally cried and changed my whole way of thinking forever, instead of being greedy and moody, it opened up a side of me which wanted to bring hope and love into the world. c:

and even though there wasn't many characters, the choices were pretty fair in the end. I mean, it was pretty balanced and instead of the whole personality thing (trying for hours to get Skitty, haha) you just chose your character straight out! ^^

i'd say it was a refreshing, beautiful game that deserves more credit. it'll keep you entertained for hours and even after you complete the game, there is always tons more to do! C:

so, i highly recommend trying it! <3

Milennin

*hugs Absol*
Thanks for all the replies, guys. Looks like I'll be getting it then. :D
But first need to finish off some stuff in Explorers of Sky.