• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

About Iris’ two controversial Pokémon....

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
Like everything this fanbase gets their hands on, Dragonite was blown way out of proportion. In fact, it was interesting seeing a main get a fully-evolved Pokémon from the get-go, and a pseudo at that. It wasn’t just handed to her like people claim. Iris had to work to get Dragonite to even listen to one command, and even by her SS it wasn’t fully obedient. Be upset that she caught a pseudo before Ash (Gible I guess counts?), but don’t pretend it was smooth sailing for Iris.

Axew needed to evolve, but the animators didn’t want to animate Fraxure/Haxorous so frequently. A shame, because Axew was basically nothing the whole saga.

Well its controversial because few people think that iris shouldn't have gotten a fully evolved dragon type even though she worked hard with it and had issues controlling it, whereas dawn gets a pass for handed over togekiss which also had issues but was magically resolved in just one episode because according to DP cirlclejerkers DP series cannot make any mistake.

Lmao huh? Dawn getting Togekiss is criticized heavily, probably more than Dragonite itself. As a DP fan, I can easily admit it was an awful writing decision and should’ve never happened.

DatsRight

I'll argue they did at least try to rush in a LITTLE depth with Togekiss, with Dawn training her and its motherly moments with the other Pokemon, but alas it appeared WAY too late to be handled properly (though in fairness that almost meant it didn't really break the story either). Had it happened earlier I think it would have been fine. Admittedly the use of Togekiss as a main character's Pokemon felt wasted given the line's heavy links with Misty.

I think a protagonist starting off with a fully evolved Pokemon was an interesting take since it can be done in the games as well and they did bother to adapt repercussions that can occur in Dragonite's case. It was an arc that fit a cocksure character like Iris who thought she could conquer all. Plus after cases like the OS lighthouse episode, you'd be forgiven for thinking a Dragonite being a main character would never happen.

Last edited:

DatsRight

Having Iris' Pokemon be rambunctious or disobedient fit okay, since most of them did it for different reasons. It added to her inferiority superiority complex, that she wanted to look experienced but was actually in over her head controlling her team. I think giving her a really powerful Pokemon worked into that factor well, especially since that power only added more pressure to her not being able to keep it on a leach.

Lunalah

I'll argue they did at least try to rush in a LITTLE depth with Togekiss, with Dawn training her and its motherly moments with the other Pokemon, but alas it appeared WAY too late to be handled properly (though in fairness that almost meant it didn't really break the story either). Had it happened earlier I think it would have been fine. Admittedly the use of Togekiss as a main character's Pokemon felt wasted given the line's heavy links with Misty.

I think a protagonist starting off with a fully evolved Pokemon was an interesting take since it can be done in the games as well and they did bother to adapt repercussions that can occur in Dragonite's case. It was an arc that fit a cocksure character like Iris who thought she could conquer all. Plus after cases like the OS lighthouse episode, you'd be forgiven for thinking a Dragonite being a main character would never happen.

Togekiss got away with a lot of stuff that Dragonite didn't. Both were obtained late in their respective regions and both were fully evolved, but Iris got so much flack for getting Dragonite even though she legitimately caught it herself while Dawn was just handed Togekiss on a silver platter and hardly anyone minded that. It's infuriating to see Togekiss get a slap on the wrist while tons of folks still bemoan Dragonite.

BlueDragonfangirl

Was Axew even a popular mascot type Pokemon to keep from evolving? I know Pipulp was during the DP days.

I didn't care if the thing evolved, I wasn't interested in it at all. Dragonite however was one of my favorite Pokemon and I hated how she won a tournament while it was like that. If Ash got penalized for his Charizard for the same reason at the Kanto league than so should she have. I wasn't a fan of her catching it any ways, I preferred Ash catching it but that's another story.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Was Axew even a popular mascot type Pokemon to keep from evolving? I know Pipulp was during the DP days.

I didn't care if the thing evolved, I wasn't interested in it at all. Dragonite however was one of my favorite Pokemon and I hated how she won a tournament while it was like that. If Ash got penalized for his Charizard for the same reason at the Kanto league than so should she have. I wasn't a fan of her catching it any ways, I preferred Ash catching it but that's another story.
She never won the tournament with it
People came at her for how she won battles including Georgia and Burgendy
Ash didn’t win the league because his Charizard fell sleep not necessary for disobeying him

Last edited:

airaid

Breeding Geek
I'll tell you why Iris ended up with Excadrill.

Someone had to get one, and they had probably already decided on Ash getting that Sandile down the line. Can't have his team getting TOO redundant, after all.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I'll tell you why Iris ended up with Excadrill.

Someone had to get one, and they had probably already decided on Ash getting that Sandile down the line. Can't have his team getting TOO redundant, after all.
Why did someone need to get Excadrill??

airaid

Breeding Geek
Marketing, and it's cool.

Hanto

Water Addiction
Excadrill is just both cool pokemon and the walking pun. His japanese name is doRYUzu after all, ryu means Dragon.
I have no problem with Kairyu, that was one of the Best pokemon characters in the whole anime, not even BW series. Guy got not only raw power, but pretty interesting personality *cough* togekiss *cough* crustle
Axew never really bothered me too. Yeah, he is kinda stupid some times, but he is basically a togepi 2.0 with some battle skills. Any baby pokemon would end up in similar troubles etc. And Axew is not that annoying as Piplup, Togedemaru or Rowlet

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
The moment I found out Iris had an Excadrill prior Axew yet she wanted to be a Dragon Master or whatever, I knew she was never going to commit to that in full. She was no Misty.

Hoo boy, did things just get weird when she got a Dragonite...with anger issues.

That only could win when she didn't control it.

Which sort of meant she was meant to be a Dragon Master, but one that wouldn't be a fearsome foe in battle.