• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

About Serena, Palermo and change of plans

D

Deleted member 384931

That would make her being out of character to suddenly hate the Pokemon Contests after arriving in Hoenn. Besides, you seemed to really hate the idea of her to compete it or even have her battle a little bit more. What's wrong? Don't you like the idea of independent girls/womens making their own decisions or do you want her to act like a house wife for Ash?

You know I am happy with a reference. Asking nothing more. Ash doesnt need to have just one female friend.

Leonhart

Imagineer
SatoSereFan224888 said:
Now on a scale of 1-10, how upset would Ash be at Serena if she told him she decided not to compete in contests? 1 would be Ash being fine with it, 5 being neutral, and 10 being Ash is so pissed at Serena he never wants to see her ever again.

He probably wouldn't care much in all honesty. He tends to support his friends whenever they decide to do something that benefits them, and I can't remember him ever being judgemental when they've decided not to go through with something. Of course I'm not confident that he'll see Serena again, so this interaction might not even happen.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 384931

Ash is equal supportive of all his friends. And @SatoSereFan224888 why do you hate contest so much? There arent much different as Showcases. Or do you have bad memories about old companions?

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I'm not the user and far from me from saying what's on his/her mind but...

Could it be he/she doesn't like the idea of Serena doing the same thing May's and Dawn's done because it makes her less unique?

Just a guess though

SerenaRulez

Now on a scale of 1-10, how upset would Ash be at Serena if she told him she decided not to compete in contests? 1 would be Ash being fine with it, 5 being neutral, and 10 being Ash is so pissed at Serena he never wants to see her ever again.

It doesn't make sense for Ash to be angry at Serena for not wanting to do contests. He's never been mad at his friends for anything that trivial and he hardly cared about her hobbies any ways so I'm going with 1.

D

Deleted member 384931

Ash learned her that doing alot of new stuff can help forming a goal. So I think Ash helped her making a decission to accept the proposal to go to Hoenn. Its interesting he said he and Pikachu will always support her.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
I was actually kinda ticked off that Palermo had to tell Serena about Contests at the end of XY&Z. I wanted May or Dawn to make cameos and tell Serena about them instead but whatever. I bet if she does compete in a Contest she'll find them boring because she doesn't like to battle...

Epicocity

I was actually kinda ticked off that Palermo had to tell Serena about Contests at the end of XY&Z. I wanted May or Dawn to make cameos and tell Serena about them instead but whatever. I bet if she does compete in a Contest she'll find them boring because she doesn't like to battle...
Where does this idea come from that Serena doesn't like to battle?

She never once says she doesn't like to battle. Hell, she explicitly says she pays a lot of attention to each of Ash's battles and absorbs them as battle tactics, not just because of Ash. Would someone who dislikes battles really do that?

Yeah, battles aren't the first thing she goes to, because her profession explicitly doesn't require them (as it's about showing one's bond with their Pokemon without battles), but that doesn't mean she doesn't like to when she needs to. I really wish the fan "theories" about Serena's character wouldn't contradict what's actually shown and said in the series, but she always seems to get the most of that misinterpretation alongside Iris and (personally, for me it's the opposite way) Lillie.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
She never once says she doesn't like to battle. Hell, she explicitly says she pays a lot of attention to each of Ash's battles and absorbs them as battle tactics, not just because of Ash. Would someone who dislikes battles really do that?

You can pick up skills that you don't like. They're not going to be as refined as someone who actively practices them, but you can certainly pick them up and perform them with some level of mediocrity.

Epicocity

You can pick up skills that you don't like. They're not going to be as refined as someone who actively practices them, but you can certainly pick them up and perform them with some level of mediocrity.
That doesn't mean she ever said she dislikes battling. She's not Lillie from the games. I said she pays attention to battles; that's not just "picking up skills" but actively paying attention to something, which isn't something you do with something you hate. She enjoys battles, just not as a profession and not something she wants to do with her life, and it's annoying that the fandom has this misconception of her just flat out disliking them.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
The fandom does such comments because most of her on-screen battles were cut short. Either by her calling it off or she being knocked out. I think the only completed one was from the dance episode where Sylveon evolves. And that was a tag battle with Ash.

Epicocity

The fandom does such comments because most of her on-screen battles were cut short. Either by her calling it off or she being knocked out. I think the only completed one was from the dance episode where Sylveon evolves. And that was a tag battle with Ash.
I'm aware of why, but it's erroneous to start. Like I said, she only stopped two battles early herself; each other was cut short by the other party. And really? We're going to consider her losing in the summer camp battle to be cut short? I guess every battle Ash lost was cut short and proves he doesn't complete battles.

And while we look at them as jokes, Serena does battle TRio and does defeat them, so those are battles under her belt, no matter how much people want to discount them.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I don't really have a problem of what's she's doing as we know that battles aren't her speciality. I was just annoyed that the writers made fun of her battle record, especially when she wanted to help, while they wanted Ash to take care of everything whenever battles are involved. She deserved better but the writer overall handling of her was disappointing.

Leonhart

Imagineer
AznKei said:
I don't really have a problem of what's she's doing as we know that battles aren't her speciality. I was just annoyed that the writers made fun of her battle record, especially when she wanted to help, while they wanted Ash to take care of everything whenever battles are involved. She deserved better but the writer overall handling of her was disappointing.

I blame XY's overall writing [that pandered to Satoshi most of the time] for Serena missing out on more battle screen-time. The only reason why Citron had more major battles than Serena was because he was a Gym Leader but had he not held that title, his battle record probably would've been just as bad as Serena's or worse since he was overshadowed by Satoshi on most occasions.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Clemont had the advantage of having the spare battles with Ash. One of them was even in the opening bit of movie 19

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
I said she pays attention to battles; that's not just "picking up skills" but actively paying attention to something, which isn't something you do with something you hate.

I have the reputation of a bunch of Taiwanese students who hate chess, yet they still play it out of duty to their parents' wishes to sell you then.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Spider-Phoenix said:
Clemont had the advantage of having the spare battles with Ash. One of them was even in the opening bit of movie 19

I wish that Serena had participated in more practice battles with her friends. Eureka was weak enough as a battler that Serena could've had a fair bout with her on several occasions just to train her Pokemon [preferably Yancham].