• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

About Serena, Palermo and change of plans

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Um, okay, this just got a bit too disturbing from the start.
I think people should lay off their messed up thoughts...
I thought in the way Street Fighter 2 anime movie did with the Shadaloo cyborgs that calculate the fighters data.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I think people should lay off their messed up thoughts...
I thought in the way Street Fighter 2 movie did with the Shadaloo cyborgs that calculate the fighters data.
Because it was a villain doing that. They don't care about ethics or legal procedures!

But in this case, it's a grown old woman spying on some girl with a hidden camera! (Though this would be a lot different if Serena was told about it and she agreed...but then again, these shows are broadcast.)

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Because it was a villain doing that. They don't care about ethics or legal procedures!

But in this case, it's a grown old woman spying on some girl with a hidden camera! (Though this would be a lot different if Serena was told about it and she agreed...but then again, these shows are broadcast.)
I let my phone apps calculate my data and it wasn't a problem to me, neither for numerous people, and I doubt people would put too much thoughts about their socio-politics in a show like this.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
You're right. There's no legal system in this universe.
Spy away!
Another reason is that I was also interested of a detailed ranking system in Pokemon, giving you rewards depending how well you play/perform in real time, especially for me who also play arcade dancing games. But I doubt it would implement well in the anime since everything can be scripted.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Um, okay, this just got a bit too disturbing from the start.

On Japan, an idol's talent agency pratically owns her (or him) and I wouldn't doubt if some did something slightly similar.

Just see the uproar if fans find out the idol had a consensual meeting with any person.

Does anyone remember Minami Minegishi?

SerenaRulez

Well personally from what I've seen in the BW series I feel like there weren't anything good to latch on to those rivals as they didn't seem likable, especially Burgundy as she just seemed annoying all the time.

Miette wasn't likeable either but she was still an ok rival for Serena. She should have been more mean spirited like Ursula or Harley but I guess maybe the writing staff didn't want to repeat themselves so they made her less mean and just kind of snarky instead.

Jeal

I don't think they hated her as much as they could have felt that the last episode was a good enough closure for her and a special would be pointless. Yajima seems like the guy who'd go with this mindset. After all, the second special episode was "The Legend of XY&Z" which had none of the kids.

What I'm saying is: they could have made a special for her but ultimately decided not to. The reason might as well be that they are content with how they concluded her arc and anything else would be redundant.

But to be fair, back in the day, I was hoping she'd get one later in the road (like they did with Iris). But I guess the fact SM had a conflicting aesthetic might have played a role. Either this or they were focused on KANTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO pandering for the anniversary (more reason for me to hate that place/gen/non-Ash characters, I guess).
But they never gave her the same treatment as May and Dawn.

Why would a special episode for her be pointless? Dawn's episode was completely pointless. And they gave a special episode for Clemont and Bonnie, but not for her?
They didn’t hate her. She got closure besides the premise of a special of Serena trying contest isn’t all that interesting. Doing a fun one off story with Cilan, Bonnie, and Clemont was the right idea.
A lot of people think it would be interesting. Besides, they didn't need choose one over the other. No one asked for a boring special episode about random characters(legend of XYZ) over the female protagonist.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
But they never gave her the same treatment as May and Dawn.

Why would a special episode for her be pointless? Dawn's episode was completely pointless. And they gave a special episode for Clemont and Bonnie, but not for her?

A lot of people think it would be interesting. Besides, they didn't need choose one over the other. No one asked for a boring special episode about random characters(legend of XYZ) over the female protagonist.
Yeah, the post-XYZ specials really unsettled me, to the point that I took the fanfic route, be done with it and didn't really care what the producers/writers were going to do to her afterwards, as I mostly believed at the time that they failed the fans who wanted to see more of her anyways.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
Serious question.
Did Serena go to Hoenn to try Pokemon contests just like May and Dawn? Or she went there to keep participating on more Pokemon showcases?

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Serious question.
Did Serena go to Hoenn to try Pokemon contests just like May and Dawn? Or she went there to keep participating on more Pokemon showcases?
Trying Pokemon Contests more because the Pokemon Showcases aren't enough for her in terms of experience I guess.

Kuzehiko

Wow so XY tells us Serena will become a coordinator (even if temporarily only) off screen, of course or at least until we get a special episode.

I'll be honest and this is just my opinion. I dislike Palermo. Serena didn't need to try contests to improve her performance skills. She was already good at it by the end and even almost gets to beat Aria for the Queen title. Serena did improve on her own her skills throughout half of XY. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact she will become a coordinator but I think it sucks Palermo made her believe she had to *improve* her skills and get experience and what not. That's the reason why I like Serena a lot. She clearly wasn't good at it when she decided to do showcases but as the series went by Serena did improve so much on her own. Anyway I think Serena should be a full-time coordinator but that's a story for another time.

Epicocity

Wow so XY tells us Serena will become a coordinator (even if temporarily only) off screen, of course or at least until we get a special episode.

I'll be honest and this is just my opinion. I dislike Palermo. Serena didn't need to try contests to improve her performance skills. She was already good at it by the end and even almost gets to beat Aria for the Queen title. Serena did improve on her own her skills throughout half of XY. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact she will become a coordinator but I think it sucks Palermo made her believe she had to *improve* her skills and get experience and what not. That's the reason why I like Serena a lot. She clearly wasn't good at it when she decided to do showcases but as the series went by Serena did improve so much on her own. Anyway I think Serena should be a full-time coordinator but that's a story for another time.
Serena's becoming a Coordinator as much as Ash did by taking part in Contests.

She remains a Performer, she's just taking part in Contests to learn new things and further that career and goal of becoming Kalos Queen. And I hardly think she's not good at the role of Performer when she was second only to the Queen. Though Palermo had nothing to do with making her think her skills were lacking, but rather that she was missing something else crucial (and she was) for being a Queen. There's a vast difference between what's required of a Queen (someone selfless who makes people smile and is a familiar, kind face to those in need, not necessarily someone skilled) and a Top Coordinator (a very skilled Coordinator, but not necessarily someone selfless). It's that difference that Palermo wanted her to see, and once Serena saw it, she wanted to improve other aspects on her own, regardless of Palermo.

But in summary, Serena is not changing professions, just as Ash didn't change professions when he took part in a few Contests. The word Coordinator isn't even mentioned once in that episode where she makes her decision, but the word "Performer" is mentioned a whole lot.

Kuzehiko

Serena's becoming a Coordinator as much as Ash did by taking part in Contests.

She remains a Performer, she's just taking part in Contests to learn new things and further that career and goal of becoming Kalos Queen. And I hardly think she's not good at the role of Performer when she was second only to the Queen. Though Palermo had nothing to do with making her think her skills were lacking, but rather that she was missing something else crucial (and she was) for being a Queen. There's a vast difference between what's required of a Queen (someone selfless who makes people smile and is a familiar, kind face to those in need, not necessarily someone skilled) and a Top Coordinator (a very skilled Coordinator, but not necessarily someone selfless). It's that difference that Palermo wanted her to see, and once Serena saw it, she wanted to improve other aspects on her own, regardless of Palermo.

But in summary, Serena is not changing professions, just as Ash didn't change professions when he took part in a few Contests. The word Coordinator isn't even mentioned once in that episode where she makes her decision, but the word "Performer" is mentioned a whole lot.
OK. I didn't know the part of contests not being mentioned at all. Sure, if it wasn't stated that she ain't changing her goal then she will remain a performer.

I disagree trying contests (or whatever else she went to do in Hoenn) was required to improve whatever aspect of Serena's character and goals. Every time Palermo showed up she was there to belittle Serena. She was good performancer on her own and she clearly did showcases wholeheartedly.

I think Serena wouldn't have thought or considered she needed to improve had Palermo never stepped in. And she really didn't need to because that was part of character development included as well.

Anyway as much as I would like a Coordinator Serena. She's fine as a performer as well. She's good at it.

Epicocity

OK. I didn't know the part of contests not being mentioned at all. Sure, if it wasn't stated that she ain't changing her goal then she will remain a performer.

I disagree trying contests (or whatever else she went to do in Hoenn) was required to improve whatever aspect of Serena's character and goals. Every time Palermo showed up she was there to belittle Serena. She was good performancer on her own and she clearly did showcases wholeheartedly.

I think Serena wouldn't have thought or considered she needed to improve had Palermo never stepped in. And she really didn't need to because that was part of character development included as well.

Anyway as much as I would like a Coordinator Serena. She's fine as a performer as well. She's good at it.
Contests are mentioned, but the profession of Coordinator is not. She even states in the last scene of the episode that she's "going to experience Contests to improve her Performances", and that her goal remains to be Kalos Queen.

Though on the subject of Palermo, the woman only spoke to her twice pre-XYZ 45; once to tell her she couldn't beat Aria as she was (which she was right as Aria trounced her), and once to tell her to withdraw when her hand was hurt, which led to Serena realizing what Aria has that she doesn't. She never really belittled her but made her question what she was lacking, and once Serena realized that, she offered her an apprenticeship. In fact, Palermo's last lines in the series are "I'm your fan". She really wanted what was best for Serena and it's obvious from early on, and just took a brusque way of going about it.

I think Serena's development line is a bit too misunderstood sometimes, and the Showcases with it, in that they're looked at too much through the frame of "well she aces her Performances so she's good", but Showcases and being Kalos Queen are repeatedly hammered to be about more than your ability to perform well. The crux really came when Aria told Serena that a Queen needs to smile because that smile gives others strength, so when you see the girls in the Master Class crying on stage, despite their performances being good, it says what they lack. Even Serena lacks that ability to give freely until she comes to the realization that she's always received.

Granted, I could write a dissertation on Serena's character, so don't mind me too much, ha ha.