• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Abstinence in Middle School

THRILLHO

nothin' at all
inb4 malanu

Metal Mania1321 said:
Right now, I'm in the eighth grade. They are currently teaching us about abstinence...and abstinence alone. I personally think that it's rediculous, if they teach us properly, I'm sure that we could make an informed decision ourselves about sex. They are not teaching us anything about condoms, STD's, or anything.
Thanks, bye!

i am assuming this is an overly religious school, and if you can't learn it through them i suggest you do some research yourself because it's something everyone needs to learn about

Last edited:

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
The two arguments compliment each other in that since nothing about contraception is taught in abs there would be a greater failing over SexEd. Still is it the schools fault or the parent's?Unless it's academic I don't trust the system to teach kids anything correctly. I still feel the weight is more on the parent than the school. But I am just one voice.

.TraX.

Bad and Nationwide
Still is it the schools fault or the parent's?Unless it's academic I don't trust the system to teach kids anything correctly. I still feel the weight is more on the parent than the school. But I am just one voice.

I don't fully trust the school system either, but I also don't trust most parents to do the right thing - my theory here is if try for both systems then hopefully we can cover everybody; it's clear that just parents isn't going to work, and while our school system isn't perfect it does generally get the basic method across.

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
Maybe the answer is more in teaching protection than both? Heck I've said it before here, sex ed failed us only a little less than Abs is failing you. *shrug*

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
That's because you got different education back then. I don't know why you keep repeating yourself thinking it changes anything.

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
That's because you got different education back then. I don't know why you keep repeating yourself thinking it changes anything.
It works in religion ;) LOL

Seriously when I got my Ed it was touted a failure also. It's why you got Abs training. You don't like hearing it but that's what happened. So in a few years your Gen is going to get to try to reach the next generation. I wish you better luck.

ChedWick

Maybe the answer is more in teaching protection than both? Heck I've said it before here, sex ed failed us only a little less than Abs is failing you. *shrug*

Same flawed tune. Dancing sperm and no knowledge of aids and other STD's or modern BC is not comprehensive education.

It works in religion ;) LOL

It only works in making them look like retards.

Loffyglu

Death and Rebirth
Alright, I think I'll just say my peace about this issue and then crawl back into some little corner of the forums where I'll... I dunno. Rot, I guess? :V Right, anyway! (Still gonna check back on this thread, though... I'm a stalker like that ;D)

Let me start by saying that, yes, I think the middle school age is too early to become sexually active. At all. I can understand kissing, but beyond that it just becomes too much for someone of that age to bear the responsibilities of. I'm probably being a bit hypocritical, as someone who's... "made mistakes," we could say, at that age. But when I was that young, trust me, I didn't know what I was getting into. I didn't know what being in that sort of relationship really meant at the time, both emotionally and socially. So, I definitely think that the focus should be on discouraging those sorts of relationships by showing the very real effects of them; the physical, emotional, and social. Not "wait until marriage," but more along the lines of "you're not at a good age to start those things yet." Unfortunately, that's not what I was taught as a middle-schooler, and that's what led me into doing some things at that age that I sorely regret now.

Now, with that said, I don't think education should ever be abstinence-only, even in middle school. Because, let's face it; you can give a kid all the information in the world about sexuality, but some of 'em just don't listen (I've heard of more than one pregnant teen, even within the early teen years; it's very disheartening to hear about). I feel like middle school kids should, therefore, be given information about contraception in addition to the fact that, no, contraception is not 100% safe (even if it works most of the time, if used correctly), and that there is emotional baggage to be had in a sexual relationship of any kind that, at that age, most if not all kids just aren't ready for. If nothing else, at least, this might help them prepare before they engage in sexual activities later on; better than a girl finding out she's pregnant one day and saying "oops look like I got preggers OH WAIT I COULD'VE USED A CONDOM WAT?!" (...Okay, perhaps not that extreme a situation, but hopefully my point still stands.) And as for the kids who'd just go and have sex anyway... well, if someone was about to jump from a plane and nothing you said could stop them, wouldn't it be better to just give them a parachute instead of watch them plunge to their certain deaths?

tl;dr Discourage middle-school kids from doing anything sexual using facts about the consequences, but teach them how to be safe for later in life and also because some kids won't listen anyway.

So, that was my long-winded reply, bahahaha... |D;

Last edited:

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
If you ask me, middle school is way too young for kids to having sex.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Telling kids how to be safe and the risks of sex is not the same as "go have sex".

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
So.. what are you trying to prove again?

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
How are we supposed to know which places adopted abstinence-only exactly? Also, where were these studies even taken? They're too broad to make any real conclusions about them.

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
How are we supposed to know which places adopted abstinence-only exactly? Also, where were these studies even taken? They're too broad to make any real conclusions about them.
From the articles they were US total numbers. They take into account Abs training and shows a breakdown of Which states ave the highest pregnancy rates. They also show that the birth rate had dropped by 60% from its height back in 1991.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Yes but different states have different laws concerning sexual education. This is too broad to say ANYTHING unless they specifically compare those with abstinence only and those with comprehensive.

Total numbers are irrelevant.

One recent study reported that more per capita funding for abstinence-only education programs significantly predicted higher state teen birth rates for whites and blacks, but not Hispanics."

Wow, did you even read your own studies?

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
Yes but different states have different laws concerning sexual education. This is too broad to say ANYTHING unless they specifically compare those with abstinence only and those with comprehensive.

Total numbers are irrelevant.

One recent study reported that more per capita funding for abstinence-only education programs significantly predicted higher state teen birth rates for whites and blacks, but not Hispanics."

Wow, did you even read your own studies?
Yeah I did, That did stick in my craw also but I figured it best to include everything I saw vs editing it out and have it brought out by another.

And yet:
The Vital Signs report looked at data from 1991 to 2009 and found that in addition to the steady decrease in the rate of teen pregnancies, there's also been a decrease in the percentage of high school students even having sex. More teens are using contraception, too; the CDC says the percentage of students who had sexual intercourse in the past three months without using any type of contraception decreased from sixteen percent to 12 percent while the percentage of students using two forms of contraception (for example, a condom and birth control pills) increased from 5 to 9 percent.
Is the CDC giving false data? I don't know man, You feel you are right maybe you are maybe you have read biased reports and Maybe these ones are. Maybe things will change for the better with the next generation, I really hope so. I honestly hope you do a better job for your kids than we did for you.

Last edited: