• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Abstinence in Middle School

Pesky Persian

Caffeine Queen
Isn't that what happens during sex?

Except, during sex there's at least some lubrication. And it's unrolled and not all smashed together on itself... Hopefully...

Metal Mania1321

Stick em' up
@ ChedWick. Exactly...

@Legendarypokemonmaster. Safe sex is better then unsafe sex, right? Then teach kids about condoms, if they do that, I'm sure the Teen birthrate would signifitintly decrease.
Get it yet?

Grei

not the color
I'm not saying my friends should go out and have sex right now, I'm just saying that they should not be afraid of sex (which they are). If they want to wait to have sex until after maraige thats fine, but it should not be because of some silly abstinence pledge.
@ Blue Ralts, that is not exactly what I was thinking, oh and one of them is a girl (Who I'm romanticly interested in).

I agree. My school had abstinence-only sex education. All it taught me was to fear sex, and that if I had sex I would ruin my life, drop out of high school, and feel traumatized forever.

Fear tactics are incredibly ineffective. I had sex my Sophomore year, and my life is better than ever. Not that sex made my life amazing, but sex certainly did not ruin it. All of the nasty stories they tell you in abstinence-only sex ed about boyfriends dumping girlfriends after having sex, about condoms breaking, about teenage pregnancies--those are all of the worst-case scenarios, yeah. But that's all they are--they are not the universal outcomes of every sexual encounter. They only get attention because they are bad, and because they might trick kids into thinking that sex is bad.

And if it weren't for my friend and at-the-time girlfriend who weren't gullible and stupid about sex, I wouldn't have had a clue about how safe sex can actually work out without a condom breaking. Abstinence-only sex ed hurt me more than it helped me, honestly.

Ask yourself this question.
Would you have sex with an underdeveloped teenager?

Depends on if I am also an underdeveloped teenager in this situation. I mean, have you ever noticed that a specific age group generally become less sexually attractive as you get older? As a Freshman, I found a lot of other Freshmen attractive, along with Juniors and Seniors. Now, as a Senior, I realize how disgusting most Freshmen are. In general, I think a lot people are attracted to their own age groups (or, at least people who appear to be of a similar age group).

Isn't that what happens during sex?

Not if you lube up.

Although if you go with the mindset that every condom is destined to break, then you deserve to stay abstinent. Not really, but that is a pretty stupid mindset IMO.

legendarypokemonmaster

^Yes, but I still think Abstinence is the best policy since it is 100% safe.
EDIT: Ninja'd

legendarypokemonmaster

I'm not saying they should not teach it, and just use fear. I'm saying that should be the most encouraged because it is the safest. If you can't handle that, then yes, there are alternatives.

legendarypokemonmaster

But power corrupts!

Grei

not the color
But power corrupts!

Well, this explains why you're so against non-abstinence. :/ Power in this case would corrupt only the simple-minded.

It may seem backwards, but teaching kids how to properly use a condom is way more effective sex ed as compared to only telling them to never ever have sex ever. Because when someone knows the risks of sex and knows all of the ways of avoiding them, they will be better off than if they were only ever told to avoid it like the plague. It's called sex EDUCATION for a reason.

When I first had sex, I had no clue how to use a condom. Literally no idea. My sex education experience was clearly not effective, because when someone doesn't know how to use a condom, they're more likely to use it incorrectly or simply get frustrated and say "f*ck it" and then quite literally "f*ck it," only without the condom on.

Last edited:

SwiftSoul

Kinkmeister General
yes, abstinence is the only option, because sex has a small chance of transmission and pregnancy, even when contraceptives are used.

Just like banning all sugar and tobacco and fuel and alcohol and marijuana and all fun in the world is the only option. Because fun runs the risk of hurting oneself and others, right?

People are going to smoke, so educate them so they are at least informed. There are filtered options for many forms of tobacco, as well, which are, although marginally, healthier than unfiltereds. Sweets can cause health problems, but are also tasty, so teach people about the risks so they are informed. There are also diet and sugar-free options, which are slightly healthier. Sports are fun, but they also have risks of stress problems, as well as physical injuries. So they have physicals and padding, whoich help reduce the risk of injury, and look out for problems before they become serious.

Abstinence is fine, but it does not work for everyone. Preaching it as such insults those to whom you are entrusted to teach. Yes, there are risks, and the risks need to be taught, but there are also pros to having sex. Sex is actually healthy exercise, and when performed safely, is fun, safe, and good for you. It encourages circulation, is exercise, can stimulate the mind, and strengthens a connection between you and another.

In essence, when done right, sex is a very positive thing, for those who choose it.

legendarypokemonmaster

Oh, I know power corrupts, but I wasn't being really serious in this case. I know that "safe sex" is a safer alternative. But kids might get the idea of "Oh I can go have sex, no problem without any consequences" too.

Last edited:

legendarypokemonmaster

I said 100% safe not effective. If you can stay with it, it is. I guess huge part of your view on this would be influenced by your views on if it's only right in marriage and/or if people should be monogamous or not.

@Legendarypokemonmaster. Safe sex is better then unsafe sex, right? Then teach kids about condoms, if they do that, I'm sure the Teen birthrate would signifitintly decrease.
Get it yet?
No, teen pregnancy would not diminish. It will diminish when people stop trying to eat life like a fat man in a buffet.

Depends on if I am also an underdeveloped teenager in this situation. I mean, have you ever noticed that a specific age group generally become less sexually attractive as you get older? As a Freshman, I found a lot of other Freshmen attractive, along with Juniors and Seniors. Now, as a Senior, I realize how disgusting most Freshmen are. In general, I think a lot people are attracted to their own age groups (or, at least people who appear to be of a similar age group).
Let me rephrase the question

Why loose your virginity to some unexperieced, underdeveloped girl who will probably break up with you (if its not a one night stand) within the next couple of weeks/months when you can wait like 2-3 years to get the same thing but better?

Pesky Persian

Caffeine Queen
Why loose your virginity to some unexperieced, underdeveloped girl who will probably break up with you (if its not a one night stand) within the next couple of weeks/months when you can wait like 2-3 years to get the same thing but better?

Being educated on sex does not mean you're going to go out and have sex with the first person you see. Being educated means that when you do make the decision to have sex, you'll be prepared on how to be protected and knowledgeable about the consequences if said protection should fail. There's nothing wrong with teaching kids about safe sex.