• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Accents

Ethan

Banned
I'm not really sure, to be honest. I've spent a great deal of my life in both the Southern and Northern United States. I've moved around a lot too and never really spent more than three years at any given place when I was young. My accent is basically a mystery.

People when they talk to me say I have an accent but they don't know what it is. They say "You sound really sophisticated, I like your accent." I don't really get it to be honest, because I don't notice. One lady at work asked "Are you an English major?" and I was just like..."no." She said "Oh, well you just have an artistic and elegant way of speaking."

Maybe the people here that I've skyped with can explain it better because I don't see it. *shrug*

tl;dr

I don't really know what my accent is but apparently it sounds nice which is cool I guess.

GaZsTiC

Alternating
Are things the same on the opposite side of the Atlantic?

Nope. Things are the opposite on the opposite side of the Atlantic.

I always find it weird when Americans say that they don't have an accent - when in reality, America ha a vast range of different accents which are all heavy sounding to us foreigners.

Nope. Things are the opposite on the opposite side of the Atlantic.

I always find it weird when Americans say that they don't have an accent - when in reality, America ha a vast range of different accents which are all heavy sounding to us foreigners.
I never understood that either. Every language has accents and dialects, English included. It's weird that a lot of Americans say they don't have an accent, yet they notice or point out British ones. English was spoken in England long before America even existed, so one could say that we're the ones with the accent.

Josiah

is your favorite
I'm from Nebraska, so my accent is about as close to broadcaster English as you can get without actually being a broadcaster. Just so everyone knows, NOBODY here talks like Larry the cable guy. There are definitely more informal rural varieties where words like "aint" are pretty much standard, but that isn't the majority.

Here are some general rules:
-cot/caught are always the same
-for some people pin/pen are the same (so em/en always sounds like im/in)
-only old people distinguish whale/wail
-a(m/n) tends to sound something like e(m/n)
-to me, British o's sound like "uh-oo" and my o's are closer to Spanish ones
-I never pronounce th's as d/t or f/v
-r is always pronounced with rare exceptions (like the first one in surprise)
-bang sounds like beyng, bing sounds like beeng
-long i's (as in line) can be pronounced like everyone else, or like ah (but it's still distinct from lawn)
-both is often pronounced bolth and wash is often warsh (the a sound from car, not war)

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I am from Canada so I guess I have a...Canadian accent? Except it's not like what people make fun of on tv....i never say "eh"

Lol, I actually knew someone from Canada, and she did say they do. Though that was probably her home region (I don't know where she hailed from).

And Dad had a missionary companion who was Canadian. Can't recall if he did say he said "eh", but they joked around about moose xD.

Dattebayo

Banned
A Mexican accent, but I do make a decent British/Australian accent.

Cool_Trainer_Tyrone

Only Train The Best
Im Australian,and i find it amusing how the rest of the world portrays our accent to that similar to the late Steve Irwin,where Id consider that as a outback/country accent.

2D Thom

Im a tombsone
I have a fluent, normal American accent. But sometimes i have a British accent for some reason. You might think people in New York have that Brooklyn, Ghetto and Guido accent. Well The Brooklyn accent is in...well... Brooklyn. The Ghetto accent is every where. Along with the Guido accent. It's so happened that 'Jersey Shore' is a really popular show in my school (The show sucks). As for the Ghetto accent, I believe its all on Pop-culture. But that's where I live.

Josiah

is your favorite
I have a fluent, normal American accent. But sometimes i have a British accent for some reason. You might think people in New York have that Brooklyn, Ghetto and Guido accent. Well The Brooklyn accent is in...well... Brooklyn. The Ghetto accent is every where. Along with the Guido accent. It's so happened that 'Jersey Shore' is a really popular show in my school (The show sucks). As for the Ghetto accent, I believe its all on Pop-culture. But that's where I live.
I have a hard time believing that you sound exactly the same as I do. Can you name in particular things you've noticed about your accent, or at least name some semi-famous people who sound like you?

2D Thom

Im a tombsone
Well i kinda sound like one of the Cole twins. And its just a normal american accent. nothing to special.

Suicune95

The Northwind
A Chicago accent, I guess. The main difference is that, if you understand this is our vowels are more east-west (creating more like an ahh sound).

Also in "Whip", I've heard it pronounced hwip, with a slight -h sound before the -w. But here its just "wip".

abraxas

Words.
Being from a Southern state in the US, I do have an accent. That said, a vast majority of people in the South, though not limited to, upon hearing me speak for the first time, often ask where I'm from, assuming I'm from futher North than I claim. I'm still perplexed by this.

evolutionrex

The Awesome Atheist
I have the average American accent. I do have a lot of southern routes in me and occasionally I'll talk in Texan accent on accident.

But, I can have an amazing British accent. One day, me and all my friends did a dare where we all had to go through an entire day while speaking a foriegn accent. I chose a British one and people were amazed on how well I did.

Rave

Banned
[img139]http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/1/22297000/ngbbs4d283bdaca9d9.jpg[/img139]

Snipehsheep

Scottish American
[img139]http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/1/22297000/ngbbs4d283bdaca9d9.jpg[/img139]

I love you.

Anyway, I have a really odd mix of a Scottish and West Coast accent.

NimhShambler

Some Broke Machine
I have a hillbilly, Kentucky accent. I may not speak in it, if I choose, but when I am tired or in like company, I usually speak in my natural voice.

I choose to speak with no accent when around others. I don't want people to hear my accent and think I am an idiot hick because of it.

~Nemmeh

EDIT: Though my natural accent does aid me in singing Bluegrass and old Gospel music. I'm talented in that.

Last edited:

Snipehsheep

Scottish American
I have a hillbilly, Kentucky accent. I may not speak in it, if I choose, but when I am tired or in like company, I usually speak in my natural voice.

I choose to speak with no accent when around others. I don't want people to hear my accent and think I am an idiot hick because of it.

~Nemmeh

Unless you're a robot, you cannot speak with no accent. It's impossible.

Ugobama

I'm from the deep south, so naturally I have a southern accent. But it's weird...I've got German, Cherokee, and probably Scottish in me...My Dad grew up in Memphis and Mobile, my mom in Pensacola and Mobile...so yeah, southerm, but with a strange twist...