• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Access Cleanout

Locke Yggdrasill

Eustis on reddit
Okay, so lately there've been large numbers of VOps logged in, about 5 HOps, (I guess like 3 of which have active scripts always running when they're logged in) and from 1-3 Ops (not including SerebiiBot). In my opinion, the access ranks should all average out at about the same number, but that's certainly not the case as of right now. Any naysayers?
Regardless, what I'm proposing is a VOp cleanout and then have people actually EARN their shiny green plus again, as opposed to having it given to them like a party favor.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 11515

Well, what do you think are qualifications for vop?

I don't think it should be just for someone who we might give hop to later, that's kind of dumb.
I mean, SPP is big. Very big.
This could take a while, frankly, to earn vop, as in the old days it took like a year to get vop. :\

I mean, really, we have some people that earned aop faster than some people who deserve vop got it.. D:~

So, what do you think the screening period should be then?

Leona

YOU JELLY?
I agree with Locke and i think we should only VOP people who we can all agree to, to see if their worthy of being an OP in the future...

Sapphire Milotic

I think that the more active users should get voiced, some of the voices don't talk at all, but I think that in order to get Voped, you should help some of the operators out and participate in the chat instead of just watching or doing something else otherwise there is no point in the person even being a voice. :/ I know that Sniper busts a lot of hackers on Wifi, but some of the voices do nothing. :/ But that's just me.

Locke Yggdrasill

Eustis on reddit
Some VOps, as Sapphire Milotic so well put, are indeed productive members of the community of SPP and all subcommunities therein. These people are those who have earned VOp. VOp should not be a status symbol, it should be a symbol of intelligence and earned by members who genuinely wish for this community to prosper, and have the ability to push it in that direction.

Well, what do you think are qualifications for vop?

I don't think it should be just for someone who we might give hop to later, that's kind of dumb.
I mean, SPP is big. Very big.
This could take a while, frankly, to earn vop, as in the old days it took like a year to get vop. :\

I mean, really, we have some people that earned aop faster than some people who deserve vop got it.. D:~

So, what do you think the screening period should be then?
Precisely (@ bolded text). Once a person gets VOp after such a long time, they'd be wise not to lose it, and they'd treasure it. It's kind of like hookers. The higher you pay, the better experience you'll have.

Fenix

Tremulant
I had Vop, and it took me 1 year approx to earn it. (Aug. 2006 till summer 2007)
Well, the last week I noticed that I have lost my Vop, the reason being my 2-3 weeks inactivity I guess. (It wasn't my fault, I really could not come online, I would if I could :/)
First of all, let me clearly state that I'm not complaining for the loss of my Vop, because I think status is a priviledge, not a right and thus can be taken any time for any reason.
But I agree with Locke, the access list is a bit unbalanced imho. (too many Vops, and too few Hops)
I think that giving Vop should be a more complicated process, and therefore people who earn it wont lose it fast.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 11515

But we have plenty of halfops
And plenty of vops.. or we did have plenty of vops..
But then a lot were deleted...

Right now in the chat there 6 people with @ (be it sop or aop, doesn't matter - this includes the bot)

We have 3 %'s.

and 16 people with voice. Couldn't say how many of those are vop, but whatever.
Frankly, it seems that most people who should have vop have vop, and there are a few may have gotten deleted, but they can simply consult an aop.

I thought vop was used to..say... hey this person isn't a noob, they can help out. And don't most of our vops do that?
And if they don't, just remove them. Simple as that.

If you want to complain about a lack of Vops, complain about #SPP-wifi. We have a much smaller access list. >>

I've been a vop in spp since March 2007 (took 6 months to earn it). I also had a vop in spp-wifi when I first joined there. I was promoted to halfop in spp-wifi on 7/16/07. I'm still a vop in spp though.

Aeris Gain

Flower Girl
I've noticed something lately when it comes to the VOPs we do have. I noticed that the VOPs lately think that they are except to the rules. Granted, we've been working on this by not unbanning them when they get banned, but at the same time, should they NOT be getting banned in the first place?

Not only should a VOP be someone who has been around for awhile, but they should also show that they deserve it by respecting the rules, even after they get VOP.

Cynthia

Hiatus
VOp is so subjective, i think at least a month before someone can be considered for VOP, they have to show a certain level of maturity as well. And I think a pre-requisite for VOP be that they are WILLING to help out people with questions, point things out to HOPs/OPs if we miss them, and also have a certain level of knowledge about how the chat works in general.

Locke Yggdrasill

Eustis on reddit
Not only should a VOP be someone who has been around for awhile, but they should also show that they deserve it by respecting the rules, even after they get VOP.
Precisely. I know that I, myself, had been disrespecting the rules by getting banned frequently and just expecting to get unbanned because I was a VOp. This is the case with some others, as well. We shouldn't put ourselves in a situation where we need to be unbanned: We shouldn't be banned in the first place.
I thought vop was used to..say... hey this person isn't a noob, they can help out. And don't most of our vops do that?
They help until they get VOp. Most of the assistance in the channel comes from Normal Users trying to get VOp.
But we have plenty of halfops
And plenty of vops.. or we did have plenty of vops..
We should have the same number of VOps as we do HOps and Ops. The fact is, just because there were 6 ops on today doesn't mean that this is a common occurence. It's a rather uncommon occurrence, because we only have like what, 8 ops? I'm not trying to get people promoted, I'm trying to get people demoted.

Last edited:

Sird

Johto native
Old crusty people over 2 years in spp deserve vop.

Just because they are there for two years, it does not mean they are ready to serve the community yet, and yes, SPP has got to many Vop, some of them are practically useless people who got voiced because the Ops is a friend of theirs, in my opinion, the only person allowed to do that can only be Serebii himself, not just a Random Op or Super Op. No offense, Leona. ^^;

Beside, I got my Vop from Erik in #SPP-WiFi in four months.

Ryuusei

the sakura trainer~
Ops have different timezones. I know I'm the hop that's almost never on to most regulars in the US cause I'm practically over twelve hours ahead.

though I believe Joe mentioned about a full access list change for both channels occuring soon once or twice.

Locke Yggdrasill

Eustis on reddit
Ops have different timezones. I know I'm the hop that's almost never on to most regulars in the US cause I'm practically over twelve hours ahead.
Generally I'm probably the US person with the most irregular schedule, because I'm normally on (weekends anyway) until like 4 AM. Whether or not this would affect if I see you or not, I'm not sure, because I don't quite know your schedule.

though I believe Joe mentioned about a full access list change for both channels occuring soon once or twice.
When you say soon, do you mean soon or soon? ;p

HotSkittyOnWailordAction

Well, #SPP DOES have a ton of Vops and few Hops. >_>

#SPP-Wifi is the opposite, It has few Vops and many Hops. (I was Vopped in 4 months.)

Mello

Serial Fangirl
It took me seven months to get voice op, and I only got that because of DP's release and the boom of users. Also, what Konan said about the timezones is true. I'm usually the only hop on at my time :/.

Eszett

one love
Back in the glory-days of the magic sunburst, I had a vop. Nowadays I'll be muted with the rest of the hooligans whenever the channel is under siege.

When SolairWright was still a 1/2op, he would give me voice whenever I spoke and didn't have anything - he suggested me for halfop as well, but I disagreed based on his rationale (he argued that because I am a moderator of the forums I should be an operator of the chat, after which I invoked my Separation Of Chat And State principle).

So, what shall be done with this miniscule group of former vops to which I belong?

Locke Yggdrasill

Eustis on reddit
So, what shall be done with this miniscule group of former vops to which I belong?
Chances are, if this idea comes to blossom, you'll be VOpped for sheer intelligence, as others would be. Past decisions on who to VOp were turned down because "there's already too many". But if the list is reset and the numbers cast aside, you'll be picked along with the rest of the cream of the crop.