1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Action Replay BOX question

Discussion in 'Technology Help' started by MugoUrth, Mar 5, 2012.

1. MugoUrth

MugoUrth Bibarel's adorable.

This is a question about box-art, not Action Replay itself.

MugoUrth here with a question. My dad just picked up Action Replay for his DS recently, and while I have no intent on using it myself, I noticed the box it came in seemed particularly suspicious. There were pictures of Pokemon on it, but... the details were wrong. Mime Jr. was purple instead of pink and had different eyes. Piplup had a fuzzy mane, which it does not carry anywhere else, hippopotas has square patterns on his back instead of the normal camouflage pattern. Palkia was all wrong, sporting a head that looked nothing like the actual Palkia. There were other questions that popped up too, such as Bowser having a cape and scale chestplate, as well as a Dragon Quest character that doesn't exist. This gets me wonder, does my father have a bootleg copy? I'm not sure if the box art should be like this.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  2. Indigoodra

Indigoodra Well-Known Member

Royalties, my friend, and how they're loopholing them.

3. MugoUrth

...I don't get it.

4. Indigoodra

Indigoodra Well-Known Member

Well, I'm guessing, if the characters used too closely resembled the original characters, AR would have to pay royalties (money for usage) to the original owners.

5. Not_A_Cyberbully

Not_A_Cyberbully Claimed Gabite

6. MugoUrth

Yes, exactly.

I've never had Action Replay before, so this question came to mind fast. ...But I still don't get why Professor Layton looks like himself.

7. Not_A_Cyberbully

Not_A_Cyberbully Claimed Gabite

Then I think it's legit. That's the DSI action replay box.

8. DasBoot

DasBoot Well-Known Member

It is legitimate. They changed the character's style around to make sure they don't have any copyright infractions.

9. MugoUrth

Okay, but I still don't get why Professor Layton looks about right.

10. Abstinence Pistols

Abstinence Pistols Fahrvergnugen

If you saw that character on anything other than a DSi Action Replay, or something that did not partain to the Professor Layton games or the Nintendo DS directly, say as a picture of him on a monochromatic background, would you immediately think, "Hey, wow, it's Professor Layton"?

Technically, that could be anyone wearing a hat. It's not like he's immediately distinguishable.

Whereas the Pokemon are another story.

11. Auraninja

Auraninja Try to understand.

Serebii.net describes this "phenomenon" as making parallels to the actual copyrighted character to avoid lawsuits.

12. SkittyOnWailord

SkittyOnWailord ☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣

This. They did it because they aren't endorsed or affiliated with Nintendo or Pokemon in any way. If they had used real pictures of any of the characters then they would get sued for copyright infringement. In other words, some random person like you or I can't draw a picture of a Pikachu and commercially sell it without getting Nintendo's permition first. So they drew something simmilar so they still kind of look like Pokemon but aren't exact ones.