• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Actually frightening Pokémon

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Rotom also has that dead-eyed look. The only thing that keeps it from really being scary is how animated it is. You hardly have time to focus on its expression because it's bouncing around so much. Also, I just realized I want a Ghost-type Doll Pokemon. Like a proper doll, not whatever Shuppet and Claydoll are.

Espurr has that blank, unmoving stare that's straight out of a horror movie. It also has to keep its ear folds constantly closed because its psychic power has enough force to pulverize everything around it in a 300-metre radius, kind of like the Carrie of the Pokémon world.

Mimikyu could kind of count as a haunted doll Pokémon, but it dresses up like Pikachu only because it's lonely and wants to make friends. Unfortunately, that can often be fatal.

Last edited:

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Gorebyss is pretty creepy how it'll just suck the bodily fluids from its prey what's stopping it from sucking the blood of humans?
Probably wild ones living in an area humans can't live (they can't be encountered in the wild, so if they're out there at all, they'll have to live in a zone too deep for humans to swim), leaving trained ones the only ones people interact with. Though, then again, these things do need to be traded to reach that form, so it's probably best to make sure the recipient has enough badges to get a handle on their newly-evolved giant assassin-bug of the sea.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Though, then again, these things do need to be traded to reach that form, so it's probably best to make sure the recipient has enough badges to get a handle on their newly-evolved giant assassin-bug of the sea.

Oh, that's what Gorebyss is supposed to be? I thought it would've been an eel or oarfish myself.

Jesness

Togekiss Enthusiast
Not actually. Pokerus is thought to be a virus because Prof. Elm describes it as "like a virus".

A plague is caused by bacteria, which are cellular organisms, unlike viruses.

Edit: I see that the comment was made a while ago, but I thought I would have a crack at it. *shrugs*
Wouldn't Pokerus be closer to bacteria though? When the nurse at the Pokemon Center describes it in some versions she calls it an organism that helps your Pokemon grow well.

Also, Swalot is... disturbing. I recently started a new playthrough of Pokemon X. I have one on my team and the animation of it opening its mouth... well let's just say I could have gone without it.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Oh, that's what Gorebyss is supposed to be? I thought it would've been an eel or oarfish myself.
It probably is a combination of that and maybe a chimera shark or something. I was going to put "vampire of the sea", but that didn't seem to fit with something that has a proboscis rather than fangs, and "mosquito of the sea" didn't really fit either, as gorebyss completely drains its prey rather than just taking a little sip... Guess I just got a bit overimaginative with my description, ha ha.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Also, Swalot is... disturbing. I recently started a new playthrough of Pokemon X. I have one on my team and the animation of it opening its mouth... well let's just say I could have gone without it.

I did say Gulpin and Swalot are disturbing in a previous post here, since they are basically all stomach and their gastric acids can melt anything.

Jesness

Togekiss Enthusiast
Cofagrigus is ridiculously creepy, they're literal coffins looking for bodies. I remember seeing a snippet of the Pokemon Anime where Ash and Goh see a pair of Cofagrigus, it's mentioned how they must have bodies inside because of how low they are to the ground. That's pretty dark for a kid's show and just unsettling in general.

Leonhart

Imagineer
RedBlastoise said:
I think it looks scarier than Huntail even if Huntail is supposed to look like a typical eel. Something about Gorebyss's long nose thingy makes it look dangerous. :(

Sakurabyss (Gorebyss) having a long nose is slightly creepy to me, because I imagine it using it to suck blood similar to a mosquito. Frankly, I dislike both it and Huntail, but I find Huntail's silly expression somewhat endearing, whereas Sakurabyss just looks misshapen and unsettling to me.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
When I first played Pokemon, I remember seeing a truly terrifying Pokemon of great magnitude and proportions. Every time a child went to sleep, they had to wake up and look to the sun only to find out it was darkened pitch black like an eclipsed sun. That sun smiled at that child and spoke, "Jynx".

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Cofagrigus is ridiculously creepy, they're literal coffins looking for bodies. I remember seeing a snippet of the Pokemon Anime where Ash and Goh see a pair of Cofagrigus, it's mentioned how they must have bodies inside because of how low they are to the ground. That's pretty dark for a kid's show and just unsettling in general.

They also trap grave robbers who mistake them for real coffins inside them, presumably so they can suffer the same fate of people buried six feet under for themselves.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Mimikyu has to be extremely terrifying underneath its cloth given what the Dex says. Makes me curious what it would look like but I’m not sure how that could be done given Jessie immediately put it in a substitute costume when its cloth got ripped. I mean does it have an actual body shape or is it just a fog like cloud that can change its shape?

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Makes me curious what it would look like but I’m not sure how that could be done given Jessie immediately put it in a substitute costume when its cloth got ripped.

Since Meowth always has a near-death experience whenever he sees Mimikyu's "true" form, Jessie would've probably had the same thing too.

There's one and only one pokemon that to me would seem scary in real life: Beheeyem

Especially after watching BW133 (Capacia Island UFO!) (Shining Flying Saucer! Ohbem's Town!). This is probably the only episode I actually dislike in Pokemon tbh, that's how much this episode scared me with all the Beheeyem shenanigans.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
And speaking of
There's one and only one pokemon that to me would seem scary in real life: Beheeyem

Especially after watching BW133 (Capacia Island UFO!) (Shining Flying Saucer! Ohbem's Town!). This is probably the only episode I actually dislike in Pokemon tbh, that's how much this episode scared me with all the Beheeyem shenanigans.

And speaking of scary Pokémon episodes, "Scare at the Litwick Mansion!" is another one. The entire Litwick line would be scary if they were real too. Litwick basically pretends to be a helpful shining light to those that find it, when in reality it's slowly sucking out their life force with its ghostly flame. Lampent likes to hang around hospitals like the Grim Reaper waiting for someone to die so it can absorb their soul, and while Chandelure's flames don't physically burn people, they do burn up unfortunate souls and curse them to wander this world forever. In fact, if I remember correctly, there was a trainer in B2/W2 (a Schoolgirl, I think?) who used a Litwick in battle, and when she goes to the Pokémon Center, she mentions to the player that she's feeling a little burnt-out, possibly because of her Litwick absorbing energy from her.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
while Chandelure's flames don't physically burn people, they do burn up unfortunate souls and curse them to wander this world forever.
That does beg the question now chandelure's fire attacks can harm a porygon. How can you burn a hologram's soul?

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Haunter and Gengar. They both really creep me out.