• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Actually frightening Pokémon

Xaby

SW-3553-0104-8530
Uxie, Mesprit, and Azelf are the cutest most horrifying Pokémon you'll meet. From the Canalave Library:

A Horrific Myth

Look not into the Pokémon's eyes.
In but an instant, you'll have no recollection of who you are.
Return home, but how? When there is nothing to remember?

Dare not touch the Pokémon's body.
In but three short days, all emotions will drain away.

Above all, above all, harm not the Pokémon.
In a scant five days, the offender will grow immobile in entirety.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Well, you can pet Mesprit in Poke Amie (but then again your character is a blank-staring emotionless husk...), and Cyrus harms Azelf in the DPPt games without suffering any direct consequences from it, so I'm going to assume those entries are just rumors. The possible exception is Uxie; I'm not exactly sure where PMD's canonity stands in relation to the main series but in PMD2 it is revealed that Uxie does indeed have the ability to selectively wipe certain memories from Pokemon who discover Fogbound Lake, but rather than entirely wiping their memory it only removes specific memories of Fogbound Lake to protect its location.

Perhaps the Lake Trio do have these abilities and can use them at will, and at some point people simply associated them with the actions of seeing Uxie's eyes, touching Mesprit, or harming Azelf, while in reality you can seemingly do at least the latter two actions without any negative consequences depending on the context.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Well, you can pet Mesprit in Poke Amie (but then again your character is a blank-staring emotionless husk...), and Cyrus harms Azelf in the DPPt games without suffering any direct consequences from it, so I'm going to assume those entries are just rumors. The possible exception is Uxie; I'm not exactly sure where PMD's canonity stands in relation to the main series but in PMD2 it is revealed that Uxie does indeed have the ability to selectively wipe certain memories from Pokemon who discover Fogbound Lake, but rather than entirely wiping their memory it only removes specific memories of Fogbound Lake to protect its location.

Perhaps the Lake Trio do have these abilities and can use them at will, and at some point people simply associated them with the actions of seeing Uxie's eyes, touching Mesprit, or harming Azelf, while in reality you can seemingly do at least the latter two actions without any negative consequences depending on the context.
I’m guessing that they use such powers as a last resort when they aren’t incapacitated in some way. Cyrus had them placed in some machine that immobilized them and made them helpless. They were in too much pain to even fight back.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I’m guessing that they use such powers as a last resort when they aren’t incapacitated in some way. Cyrus had them placed in some machine that immobilized them and made them helpless. They were in too much pain to even fight back.

I think that's likely. The abilities they supposedly use also aren't terribly different from some more standard Psychic abilities; all three could be various forms of hypnosis (this could explain why one supposedly has to make eye contact with Uxie for it to wipe their memories) but incidentally none of the Lake Spirits actually learn the move Hypnosis. The move Imprison also functions remarkably similar to Azelf's ability by some depictions (specifically PMD1 and 2, where it prevents the target Pokemon from moving for a fairly long period of time), and the Lake Trio does learn Imprison.

Well game mechanics and lore relationships are pretty wonky in Pokémon games. Technically everybody who has ever used Shedinja should already have their soul stolen.

If Pokedex entries are to be believed, anyone who has been within 10 miles of a Magcargo should have been incinerated. I think there's a fair degree of hyperbole and hearsay involved in Pokedex entries (this ties into the eternal debate of who actually writes the Pokedex entries, with many believing that the 10-year-old player character themselves creates the entries), but the interesting thing about the Lake Trio's entries is that it's actually supported by an external document; the book you mentioned in the Canalave Library. It could still very well be rumor, or at least hyperbolic misinterpretations of actual powers the trio has but doesn't always use.

Xaby

SW-3553-0104-8530
If Pokedex entries are to be believed, anyone who has been within 10 miles of a Magcargo should have been incinerated. I think there's a fair degree of hyperbole and hearsay involved in Pokedex entries (this ties into the eternal debate of who actually writes the Pokedex entries, with many believing that the 10-year-old player character themselves creates the entries), but the interesting thing about the Lake Trio's entries is that it's actually supported by an external document; the book you mentioned in the Canalave Library. It could still very well be rumor, or at least hyperbolic misinterpretations of actual powers the trio has but doesn't always use.

Yes that's a pretty prominent point held about Dex entries. On the other hand, we just really have to admit that there's a disconnect on lore and game mechanics (and many things in the game in general). Otherwise, your fainting Pokémon would be the least of your worries when Dialga rips apart the fabric of time.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
The mere pain of existence Hatterene, Audino, Clefable and Slurpuff experiences scares me.

Especially Hatterene. If you show it any kind of emotion, it will violently silence you.

In general, I don't find pokemon really frightening with one exception. Dusclops, the description for it in the Pokedex combined with its looks kind of creeped me out as a kid. The look of it really sells it as bad news, I think the lack of a face is why I found it so distressing so kudos to the designer of that one.

Dusknoir seems more frightening, because of its second "mouth" on its stomach and the weird antenna on its head that picks up radio waves from the spirit world telling it to take people there. Drifloon and Drifblim look like cute little balloons, but they'll spirit you away, and if you pop a Drifloon, its soul escapes with an ear-piercing, blood-curdling scream.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Malamar creeps me out. Looks like a three-way mix of an Owl, Squid and Jellyfish. Just hovers there, slowly waving in the air.

It's also one of the very few Pokémon in the anime to be outright evil, mind-controlling Ash and his friends.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
I think the pokémon that spooked me the most was probably jynx. It's the first humanoid pokémon, and something about its quasi-human appearance is really uncanny. Though for me, being able to have that much of an emotional effect on me actually looped around to make me end up kind of liking jynx. She's kind of the Big Baby of Pokémon to me.

As for some of the more recent ones, bewear is kinda freaky to me, as it's basically the pokémon equivalent of Root Bear, which was my worst nightmare as a kid. Plus, it's potentially lethal, including to those on good terms with it. And then there's grimmsnarl. That thing, especially in gigantamax form is an utter terror like the monster it is.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Eternamax Eternatus is terrifying. It's this alien dragon thing that distorts the area around it, is this menacing hand/dragon-head creature and is 100 meters tall

Fred Garvin

Drone Pilot
Raticate. Could you imagine walking down the street and seeing a two and a half foot tall RAT eating out of a trash can? The Alolan form looks even more grungy and disheveled than the Kantonian form.

I have a dozen of these guys stored with fresh pokerus infections. I named each one POKERUS. Whenever I start working on a new mon I add a Raticate POKERUS to the party to infect the others.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
I have a dozen of these guys stored with fresh pokerus infections. I named each one POKERUS. Whenever I start working on a new mon I add a Raticate POKERUS to the party to infect the others.
Literal plague rats, ahh man.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
As for some of the more recent ones, bewear is kinda freaky to me, as it's basically the pokémon equivalent of Root Bear, which was my worst nightmare as a kid. Plus, it's potentially lethal, including to those on good terms with it. And then there's grimmsnarl. That thing, especially in gigantamax form is an utter terror like the monster it is.

Didn't you mention the Root Bear in a thread about things in movies and TV that scared you as a kid? Also, the way it's always smiling, even as it literally hugs you to death is almost borderline psychotic. It obviously doesn't intend to, its hugs are just too strong.

Banette, it's literally Chucky. It wants to harm the person that disowned it.

"Hi, I'm Banette! Wanna play?" XD

Raticate. Could you imagine walking down the street and seeing a two and a half foot tall RAT eating out of a trash can? The Alolan form looks even more grungy and disheveled than the Kantonian form.

Raticate's sprites in the Gen 1 games are particularly nightmare fuel.