• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Adapting RPGs into fanfic

IatosHaunted

THE GREAT RETURN
So right now I'm running an RPG that's heavily based around its story, involving the destruction of the population of Hoenn's mainland. As its progressed, I've started to wonder something: Should this be a fanfic? I'm considering doing this, really not sure if I will, but I thought I'd throw the idea out there for discussion. Has anyone else out there tried adapting a text-based RPG into a piece of fanfiction?

Last edited:

matt0044

My upcoming fanfic, Pokemon Adventures: Black & White, is an adaptation of the first Gen V games. I use cartoon/Anime/original characters to represent the game characters and be their own characters and stay true to game while expanding, adding and sometimes subtracting from the story and game mechanics. See my preview to see what I mean.

Griff4815

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
I haven't technically adapted an RPG into a fanfic, since that would mean taking control of other peoples' characters completely along with adapting a story that isn't mine. I have, however, done expanded universe oneshots/prequels using my characters and the RPG universe. I also got permission from fellow RPGers to use their characters.

The idea of adapting RPGs into fanfics could work. However, the appeal to RPGs is that its spontaneous and you're writing with other people.

(Edit: What type of RPG are we talking about here, just for clarification.)

IatosHaunted

THE GREAT RETURN
I meant text-based RPGs. Sorry, should've been clearer.

And yes, I agree with what you're saying, the spontaneity is what separates RPGs and fanfic. That's the challenge, transforming a more personal story into something anyone can read. I'm not nearly good enough to do it, but I'd love to see someone take a finished RPG they've done(with permission of the RPers), and write it as a story.

Griff4815

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
I meant text-based RPGs. Sorry, should've been clearer.

And yes, I agree with what you're saying, the spontaneity is what separates RPGs and fanfic. That's the challenge, transforming a more personal story into something anyone can read. I'm not nearly good enough to do it, but I'd love to see someone take a finished RPG they've done(with permission of the RPers), and write it as a story.

Yeah, it would be interesting, but it would definately be a challenge. it would be a logistical nightmare trying to make everybody's posts flow fluently and in the context of the story. There's one thing with these people happening at one time and at another there's all this happening with another group. It would be hard to write, but I think they pay off would be good if done well.