• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Addicted to Stephen King

intergalactic platypus

Only rescues maidens
If you know that you should beware of Dandelo, try to stay away from sewers, the Antichrist will in fact be wander around Nevada wearing a pin that has a smiley face with a bullet hole in the forehead, have always sort of wanted to live in Sara Laughs, try to be wary around the wierd girl in school so she might not use her powers on you, feared that the low men in yellow coats might come snatch you away, or wonder who your Twinner is, you might just be a Constant Reader. Side note: anyone who has read The Dark Tower series gets bonus points for navigating the true complex brilliance that is that series

Geist

Great Old One
Yup, I understood every last word you said. Stephen King was probably the first "favourite" writer I had, though I don't like his new stuff as much as his old. That doesn't stop me from reading it however. Favourites are:
Pet Sematary
Shining
Desperation
The Stand
It
The short story collections Night Shift and Skeleton Crew
and of course the entirety of Dark Tower.

Hero

OOHH YEE YOU WANT ME
The Dark Tower is my favourite set of books ever. For some reason I've always took a shine to The Langoliers too, despite it not even being a full book in itself. Didn't stop Shawshank from being absolutely amazing though, so I guess it doesn't matter.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Eddie Dean is sexy, so by result The Dark Tower is sexy as well. But besides that The Stand and It are amazing, even though the film and miniseries didn't do justice.

Am I the only one that notices the best King Film and Miniseries adaptations are the ones that focus on Drama instead of Horror?

Hero

OOHH YEE YOU WANT ME
Am I the only one that notices the best King Film and Miniseries adaptations are the ones that focus on Drama instead of Horror?

Truth, with the exception of the Shining. I think there were plans to do a tv series of The Dark Tower at one point, with JJ Abrams being the man behind the wheel.

Kate

Banned
King is a so so author from my standpoint at least. I do enjoy his short stories more than anything else though, especially "The Body" which also made a great film adaptation. Surprisingly enough, it didn't even have a super natural element to it. I was most disappointed with his book Insomnia though, I was almost in disbelief that he even wrote it.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Truth, with the exception of the Shining. I think there were plans to do a tv series of The Dark Tower at one point, with JJ Abrams being the man behind the wheel.

I believe that's still in the works though, since they have the rights to make it, and recently bought the script. And I believe there are 3 different versions of The Shining, with the Jack Nicholson version reigning supreme.

Profesco

gone gently
have always sort of wanted to live in Sara Laughs

Only thing I recognized right off the bat. I was introduced to Dean Koontz before Stephen King, so I've always chosen a novel by the former over one by the latter. The thingd I have read, though, have been nice; they just haven't held my attention the whole way through, as Koontz's books have. ^_^;

chinchourulz

200% Quality Poster
I liked his short story "Rita Hayworth's Shawshank Redemption" And quite alot.

intergalactic platypus

Only rescues maidens
King is a so so author from my standpoint at least. I do enjoy his short stories more than anything else though, especially "The Body" which also made a great film adaptation. Surprisingly enough, it didn't even have a super natural element to it. I was most disappointed with his book Insomnia though, I was almost in disbelief that he even wrote it.

Insomnia makes a LOT more sense of you've read The Dark Tower books. Its really just companion piece to explain the character of Patrick Danville
And Profesco, you brought up Koontz, the one of only authors I genuinely cannot stand. I am saddened
Anyway, favourite King books are the Dark Tower books of course, but my other favourite is It. My copy is so worn the cover fell off. I believe its a lovely fable about what you lose when you transition from childhood to adulthood. ATM though I'm rereading 'Salems Lot. It was the first full length novel of his I read so I never got the chance to fully appreciate it

DarkRidley

Deals and Issues
I love Stephan King. In particular, I love The Shining, and Christine. Christine was one of the first Stephan King books I read, so it holds a special place for me.

Anyway, favourite King books are the Dark Tower books of course, but my other favourite is It.
Never been sure about the Dark Tower, but I haven't read it yet. Might be a bit fantasy-ish for me. As for It, enjoyed it until the ending where the all the boys have sex with Beverly. I honestly can't imagine eleven-year-olds doing that and it took away some of the realism of the characters for me, which was sad, because it was otherwise a pretty great book.

Another favourite has got to be Firestarter. I just found the whole thing immensely enjoyable.

I've never read one of his books except for The Eyes of the Dragon which didn't seem like the great author that I had heard of, but Fantasy probably isn't his strong point. I plan on reading Cell and Duma Key when I get the books, though.

Geist

Great Old One
To those who have read it: how is the new short story collection Just After Sunset? Any good stories in there?

porygonfan

IT was a pretty freaky movie, until the dissapointing end which wasnt scary at all... Pet Sematary 1 and 2 was good.

EmberStar the Blaziken

Kung-Pow Chicken
If you know that you should beware of Dandelo, try to stay away from sewers, the Antichrist will in fact be wander around Nevada wearing a pin that has a smiley face with a bullet hole in the forehead, have always sort of wanted to live in Sara Laughs, try to be wary around the wierd girl in school so she might not use her powers on you, feared that the low men in yellow coats might come snatch you away, or wonder who your Twinner is, you might just be a Constant Reader. Side note: anyone who has read The Dark Tower series gets bonus points for navigating the true complex brilliance that is that series

Lost me at yellow coats. However, I know the first three are It, Randall Flag, and Carrie.

Anybody pick up Blaze? Or Cell (a good book, horrid ending)?

intergalactic platypus

Only rescues maidens
I've never read one of his books except for The Eyes of the Dragon which didn't seem like the great author that I had heard of, but Fantasy probably isn't his strong point. I plan on reading Cell and Duma Key when I get the books, though.
If you wanna see him do Fantasy well, read The Talisman. Its fantastic
EmberStar, the low men in yellow coats is a reference to both The Dark Tower and Hearts in Atlantis (a lot of Tower stuff crosses with his other books)

Profesco

gone gently
And Profesco, you brought up Koontz, the one of only authors I genuinely cannot stand. I am saddened

I fully expect a reason why! Actually, I notice a lot of either/or between fans of the two authors. Is that because their genres are usually the same or related?

intergalactic platypus

Only rescues maidens
I fully expect a reason why! Actually, I notice a lot of either/or between fans of the two authors. Is that because their genres are usually the same or related?

I just find that Koontz has the subtlety of a sledgehammer and his characters are cardboard cutouts. Kings strongest asset has always been his ability to build multifacted characters, while I felt Koontz's are cliche and archetypal