• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Adobe Photoshop CS2 alternative?

Hello,

On my old computer I used to have adobe photoshop cs2 for personal use/novice level just for fun to color in my drawings and such. I have sort of recently gotten a new laptop (Dell intel core i7) and tried to install my old photshop from the disc that I still have and it seems that it is no longer being supported by adobe (my photoshop version is rather old). I was wondering what people are using nowadays and I am looking for suggestions on what programs I might be able to use instead? I don't need anything fancy or professional level but I did like being able to add multiple layers and being able to shade with the different brushes and brush settings. Any help would be appreciated, there seems to be a lot of options out there and I'm a bit out of the loop.

TokoyamiTheDark

The Purple Karakasa
Try this :
http://www.photofiltre-studio.com/pf7-en.htm

PhotoFiltre 7 is very similar to Photoshop (it can even open Photoshop files) and is 100% FREE. That's the software I use as an alternative to Photoshop and I highly recommend it. You can choose either the installer or the portable version.

Try this :
http://www.photofiltre-studio.com/pf7-en.htm

PhotoFiltre 7 is very similar to Photoshop (it can even open Photoshop files) and is 100% FREE. That's the software I use as an alternative to Photoshop and I highly recommend it. You can choose either the installer or the portable version.

How similar is PhotoFiltre 7 to Photoshop in your opinion? What features would you say are missing from PhotoFiltre 7 that Photoshop has?

TokoyamiTheDark

The Purple Karakasa
How similar is PhotoFiltre 7 to Photoshop in your opinion? What features would you say are missing from PhotoFiltre 7 that Photoshop has?

PhotoFiltre 7 uses layers when you copy and paste an image or write a text. You can then save it as a Photoshop file or fuse the layers for JPG, PNG etc... Plus it support transparent background for both GIF and PNG pictures with no quality loss for PNG files. (GIF files can have max 256 colors) You can also link the software to a scanner to scan documents or other things with the DPI of your choice in the Customs settings (varies depending on your scanner's brand) Honestly I never used Photoshop because of its high price, so I use Photofiltre 7 and I am very happy with the results.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
Woof you were still using CS2 in 2019... Honey, pretty much everything on the market right now is better than that relic.

I personally use a number of programs, both free and paid. My personal favourite is SAI. Being able to create custom brushes is a huuuuuuuuge plus for me and I use it for my commissions. It costs about $50ish and is a one-off payment. I use Autodesk on my Macbook which is... Acceptable. It's a bit limited and moving the canvas is a bit of a chore but it's got a decent brush selection and even a Copic colour selection. It's free. I also have a few random other ones I play with from the app store but nothing of note really.

I've heard really good things about Clip Studio Paint but haven't had a chance to buy it yet. It's on the pricier end but from what I've seen it's amazing.

ArteMagica

Love. Honor. Truth
I personally recommend Mypaint:
http://mypaint.org/
It is a painter based program. It uses brushes that mimic traditional media. Once I used it for the first time, I never felt the need to try another art program. You can create brushes and do advanced stuff, but I haven't dabbled in all of that. I have created beautiful pieces just by using the default brushes. It is so super easy to work with.

If you want something with a bit more of a learning curve but still great results, I hear Krita is good. Never personally tried it because MyPaint has fulfilled all my needs and then some.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
If you're still interested in Photoshop you can get the most recent (Photoshop CC) for $10 a month, includes Lightroom as well if you're into that. No worries about it going out of date afterwards.