• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ads hjiacking

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
That's very concerning. If you can provide screenshots, URLs and OS/Device that'll be a lot of help.

Our ad network prides itself in that not happening. I've passed this thread onto them and they'll keep an eye

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
This is precisely why I think we need more themes. The Serebii theme keeps putting an ad bubble at the bottom of the page every time you go anywhere on the forums and open a new page which leads to constantly closing them and the Happy theme is rather bland and boring after awhile but is better because you don’t risk opening a link to a bad site by accident.

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
I think i've noticed it on both Serebii and the Forums.

Had it on another website last month as well, but i think they fixed it.

I'm on Safari and iMac if that helps

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I am using Safari on an iPad. I think once or twice I couldn’t close an ad on the main site.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
That's very concerning. If you can provide screenshots, URLs and OS/Device that'll be a lot of help.

Our ad network prides itself in that not happening. I've passed this thread onto them and they'll keep an eye
I use FireFox on Windows 10 Home. The URL it attempted to redirect to is "happy.luckyparkclub.com" (do not recommend visiting this site as it's almost certainly malware of some kind). This occurred maybe half a dozen times over the span of a couple days about a week ago. I didn't save any screenshots, but will if it occurs again.

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
I dont have URL's but it's usually Flash Player or Norton Virus updates i'm redirected to.

was redirected earlier today while trying to change my avatar, actually.

Kevin24

Event Collector
i am on opera with ublock origins on. really good to block ads etc. i highly suggest using ublock origins if you can.

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
Just got Them again today got one from Norton Anti-virus and a Flash Player one

Flash Player was amazonaws again.

Didnt think to look at Norton, just clicked away as fast as i could

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
If you use the Happy theme, then you don’t get the ad bubbles. I know it’s boring to look at but this is currently the only way to prevent ad hijacking.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
If there isn't going to be an upgrade to xenforo 2 soon then maybe a new style could be created similar to happy style so that there could be more variety and it could be without ads. I personally would like a remake of the default skin from the classic vbulletin 3 style that this site had when it was still using vbulletin 3.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I never get any ads on the forums while logged in. Just on the main site. Don't know what's the cause of it, I've got the entire Serebii site whitelisted in my adblocker, including the forums. And on mobile I don't get any ads on the forums either while logged in, while on the main site I get ads and cookie messages on every page visit on mobile, it doesn't seem to store the cookie settings for mobile.

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
I should say, I'm getting them on the Main Serebii site and not the Forums.

Probably because of the Happy Theme from what i hear.

Manchee

extra toasty
The thing is, without ads we can't keep the site alive

Lol...... there's a difference between having some ads that help pay the bills and ones that are intrusive and/or contain malware. What this site has got going on currently is what makes people download adblockers rather than listen to this "we need ads to survive" guff.

I understand that part but we at least need more site themes similar to Happy than what we have now.

I offered, but who with power to do anything on these forums cares about making it look good??? lol

Anyway, mainly popping in to say that for an ad "service" that prides itself on their ads not doing what this thread is about, they clearly don't have that much pride with multiple people experiencing problems with them, and I'm seconding the issue. Even on browsers where I've got ads blocked, they're still intrusive and trying to install malware. Got the "s3.amazonaws.com/pccrsxt" just the other day. Like, c'mon. This was first brought up almost a month ago and it's still happening.