• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

[adult swim] to expand into 9 PM in 2011

Vernikova

Champion
A sause for celebration I would think. Then again, that leaves Cartoon Network with only one hour of prime time.

Part of the article since it's on two serperate pages:

As the upfront season approaches, Adult Swim is prepping a new opportunity for advertisers, with plans to further expand its programming lineup deeper into prime time. Beginning January 2011, Turner Broadcasting System’s late-night animation property (on Cartoon Network) will make another incursion into TV’s most competitive daypart, pushing its starting time up one hour to 9 p.m.

After having shifted its nightly launch time from 11 p.m. to 10 p.m. in January 2009, the network that introduced such fractured franchises as Robot Chicken, Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law and Aqua Teen Hunger Force is looking to extend its reach into the highly competitive second hour of prime. In so doing, Adult Swim is positioning itself to pursue a much broader swath of advertisers, although buyers caution that the network will be in for something of a high-wire act if it’s to balance the content restrictions of the earlier hour with the signature lunacy that informs its brand.

Clearly, Adult Swim has the deliveries to back its move into the nine o’clock hour. Last year the channel averaged 1.1 million viewers from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m., an increase of 9 percent versus 2008, according to Nielsen data. More tellingly, Adult Swim served up a cable-high 448,000 viewers 18-34 (up 8 percent); it also finished tops in total day among its other target demos (viewers 18-24, men 18-24, men 18-34). Only ESPN came close to its delivery of 18-34-year-old males in total day, and Adult Swim still managed to outdistance the sports giant by some 33,000 members of the demo.

Last year marked the fifth consecutive victory for Adult Swim among its core demos, although there was some slippage that coincided with the network’s first 365 days of leading off at 10 p.m. With the extra hour, Adult Swim saw its delivery of males 12-24 decline 6 percent to 151,000, while men 18-34 dipped 4 percent to 270,000.

Stu Snyder, president and COO of Turner Animation, Young Adults & Kids Media, characterized next year’s move to 9 p.m. as a chance to further develop the Adult Swim brand and audience. And while the shift necessarily removes an hour of prime from sibling Cartoon Network, the potential for growth in the young-adult space may be worth the sacrifice on the kids side of the business.

“Let’s be clear: The choice to go to 9 p.m. is 100 percent a reflection on the success of Adult Swim as a brand,” said Snyder, who added that any softness in the kids marketplace wasn’t a factor in his decision. “It’s clear that the kids business has been challenging, and much of that has to do with the recession and the resurgence of certain hot-topic discussions that are having an impact on key categories like food. But this is less about taking anything away from Cartoon Network than it is a matter of building up Adult Swim.”

Last edited:

Mr. Joker

keep calm & carry on
Does anyone really care?

I think it's cool, but [adult swim] isn't the coolest thing ever. I hardly ever watch this, I really don't care for any of the shows that they play... maybe some Family Guy every once-in-a-while.

Aquadon

TCG Trainer
I'm 50/50 about this. Half of adult swim is crap. But if more Venture, AQTH, Family Guy, Titan Maximum, and Robot Chicken is around, I'll be pretty damn happy.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
An extra hour? I guess it's good news. I watch AS a lot, but some of their shows aren't as good as I'd like them to be and I wonder what they plan on showing to fill another hour? Hopefully some new series :S

Last edited:

Rave

Banned
Wait, the Cartoon Network channel is still around?

noobers

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
I only watch Adult Swim for King of the Hill and the Venture Brothers, so this is fine, I guess. I just demand more Venture Brothers.

Profesco

gone gently
The crazy is growing ever larger...

Shuam

righteous
Maybe they'll get rid of KOTH at the beginning of it, or maybe it'll be on at 9, and Family Guy will be on at 10&1030 again.
I miss watching me some Family Guy at 1030.

HoennMaster

I wonder why they are waiting so long to start it thought. I could see June and September, but January? That's a tad less then a year away.

What time zone does this apply to? Cause Adult Swim already starts at 9 p.m. here.

Anyways. As long as they keep it good, I'm ok

It seems EST.
Eh I actually don't watch Adult Swim as much as I did before. The only thing I watch is King of The Hill, Family Guy, and Robot Chicken. And I don't really watch Cartoon Network anymore so it pretty much doesn't effect me. But if they play Robot Chicken or Family Guy more I'll definitely watch more.

Vernikova

Champion
It's 9PM EST.

Basically, it's going to start an hour earlier than it already does.

Spookz

Lumos
you have enough money for a computer but not simple cable?
Well, no, I can't.

The laptop I own was a graduation present/college expense, and I honestly don't have the money to pay $30 a month for cable that I probably wouldn't even watch.
Paying bills sucks, bro.

Last edited:
Good. The less of shows like 6Teen we have to see, the better.

Plat. Frontier

Epic Mustache
YES!!! Finally!!!! I may be 11, but I sure want to watch Family Guy and Robot Chicken earlier, or not have to watch King of the Hill first (I hate shows that aren't comedy or action.) If KotH is still first and I can't watch FG or Robot Chicken earlier, Imma be throwin mai TV out.

Super Saiyan 3 Goku

Meh, I hardly watch anything on Adult Swim. Except for Saturdays. I always look forward to watching the Anime block on AS, and that's about it.

So if this gives us another hour of Anime, I'm all for it! =D

Bulldogs

Banned
As long as KotH does stay it's all good with me. The only other non anime I can stand is FG and the occasional Robot chicken since I don't really like most of the humor in stuff like Venture Bros and Tim and Eric. I miss frisky dingo =[. I'd like to see earlier FG too.

Last edited: