• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

"Adultism" - This thread will really get your gears running!

gardevoir20

Before I go on, adultism is an incline towards adults, which some see as being biased against children or the youth.

An adulist is someone who practices adultism.

In society, it is perfectly acceptable to treat children like inferior beings simply because of their age.

It's okay to hit them when they're bad, take their things away, punish them, limit what they watch, tell them what to wear, and basically run their lives because of their age. It doesn't even matter whether the child is mature or not, he is still not allowed to see an R-rated movie by himself. But, when it comes to an adult, the manager of the theater could care less if he was mature or not, he could still see the movie. Can't you see the wrongness in this?

How do you feel about that? I think it's wrong and sickening.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adultism Read into it.

Last edited:

~Magic Thunderbolt~

Well, kids don't run the government, do they?

Plus, they do need guidance.

gardevoir20

Well, kids don't run the government, do they?

Plus, they do need guidance.

Are you speaking for every child on this planet? Are you saying that every child needs guidance? That would be generalizing. And, for your information, the reason why kids don't run the government is because they're not allowed to because of they're age. Nothing else even matters. Can't you see?

Have you put much thought into this?

Last edited:

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Kids are the future, that's why we must stop them why we still can.

Radnen

The reason why children are not socially accepted in society to carry out an adults agenda is primarily based off of various psychological complex's that are still trying to mature in that child's brain.

Let's talk of the brain. A brain is fully developed around the age of 21. Before that, the brain is susceptible to making a wrong decision. This is why a child can't be a foreign affairs agent or an advisor to anyone. Some think that older people make better decisions because life can equate towards experience and experience comes knowledge. A child has neither.

There are different stages of development that occur throughout ones life. For teenagers, they are trying to literally figure out who they are. In so doing they become susceptible to peer pressure and will melt under stress. They will adhere to fashion and popularity, they lack a sense of individuality and are longing to find that in themselves.

With a teenager, comes a sense of curiosity unbounded by the imagination. Drugs and alcohol become the suspect of a teenagers imagination, it encompasses the whole "what-if" thinking-complex.

-I had more to write, but it got cut off, sorry. Just contemplate the above and I may make a further conjecture later.

Last edited:

gardevoir20

The reason why children are not socially accepted in society to carry out an adults agenda is primarily based off of various psychological complex's that are still trying to mature in that child's brain.

Let's talk of the brain. A brain is fully developed around the age of 21. Before that, the brain is susceptible to making a wrong decision. This is why a child can't be a foreign affairs agent or an advisor to anyone. Some think that older people make better decisions because life can equate towards experience and experience comes knowledge. A child has neither.

There are different stages of development that occur throughout ones life. For teenagers, they are trying to literally figure out who they are. In so doing they become susceptible to peer pressure and will melt under stress. They will adhere to fashion and popularity, they lack a sense of individuality and are longing to find that in themselves.

With a teenager, comes a sense of curiosity unbounded by the imagination. Drugs and alcohol become the suspect of a teenagers imagination, it encompasses the whole "what-if" thinking-complex.

So, what you're saying is someone 21 or older cannot make mistakes? And that all teenagers cannot make one good decision?

Yonowaru in Chaos

gaspard de la nuit
Well that demands a perfect and flawless person.

We know that we're all different people, that people are naturally immature/stupid regardless of age, but it would be a tedious task to classify whether if every human was documented and classified in groups based on how 'mature' or 'wise' they are. As such, it's more easier to assume how 'mature' and 'wise' they are by their age. Of course, there are always exceptions to this, but you have to understand that this works, that adultism works.

gardevoir20

Well that demands a perfect and flawless person.

We know that we're all different people, that people are naturally immature/stupid regardless of age, but it would be a tedious task to classify whether if every human was documented and classified in groups based on how 'mature' or 'wise' they are. As such, it's more easier to assume how 'mature' and 'wise' they are by their age. Of course, there are always exceptions to this, but you have to understand that this works, that adultism works.

You're right. For now on, I'm going to call every black person I see a dumb hoodlum. Because, you know, that would be the easiest thing to do, right?

BCVM22

You're right. For now on, I'm going to call every black person I see a dumb hoodlum.

You don't appear to have any real intention of looking at this logically, realistically or in any other such way, but the poor example you just used is a racial stereotype. Suggesting that the vast majority of the world's children do not have the experience, intelligence, wherewithall and grasp of logic and reason isn't a stereotype - it's the truth. A five-year-old does not know what a sixteen-year-old knows, a sixteen-year-old does not know what a twenty-five-year-old knows, a twenty-five-year-old does not know what a fourty-year-old knows and so on. Experience, intelligence and mental facilities sharpen with age.

Be honest now - you watched a whole buttload of Codename: Kids Next Door today and it really sucked you in, didn't it?

Yonowaru in Chaos

gaspard de la nuit
I never said it was the right thing to do. It just holds true for most cases since, as said before, a child's brain is still undergoing development until the age of maturity. It's generally accepted, thus, that with an essentially 'incomplete' brain, that children unable to make decisions for themselves.

gardevoir20

Why are you guys grouping all the kids in the world into one group?

Plus, how do you guys know that all children in this world are immature? Just because the media tells you that children are evil mindless monsters doesn't mean it's true.

EDIT: You're wrong, BCVM22. Experience does not magically find it's way in you when you turn a certain age, you have to earn it by trying new things, working etc.

Last edited:

treespyro

Vintage much?
Kids are the future, that's why we must stop them why we still can.

This

Look because children don't have authority or the experience enough to know what they are doing. Kids don't run countries. I think it is quite unfair in if a Kid knowing what it did killed someone, they get a lenient sentence because they are young

Plus, how do you guys know that all children in this world are immature?

Because I was a kid and I know how kids are like because of my work experience and future job where unemployment is impossible

gardevoir20

Hey treespyro, so you're saying that all children in the world are the same in that they are all just mindless individuals, or should I say, objects to dictate over?

There you guys go, putting ALL children into one group labeled 'immature', possibly me included.

Plus, how do you guys know that all children in this world are immature? Just because the media tells you that children are evil mindless monsters doesn't mean it's true.

Heh, I work with children in my vacation job. You usually can't have an intelligent conversation with them before they're 12 (with some exceptions).

Children don't have the responsibility to be a part of society. That's why they have to go to school to learn how to function well in society and to learn the basics to get a job.

Sure, there are also unresponsable adults. But no one can hold your hand forever.

treespyro

Vintage much?
When I was a kid, I was immature and I have seen people around me. The flaw of this topic whatever side you are on is that it is going to always be a generalization.

Have you not seen the video clip for the Pink Floyd song Another Brick the Wall, There are supposed to be like mindless slaves

Hey treespyro, so you're saying that every singe kid in the world acted the way you did when you were a kid?

How the **** would I know, I don't go to all 180+ countries and go city by city, village by village but Have you?

For the record, I work with children as well and I am go to be a teacher for a week :)

gardevoir20

Heh, I work with children in my vacation job. You usually can't have an intelligent conversation with them before they're 12 (with some exceptions).

Children don't have the responsibility to be a part of society. That's why they have to go to school to learn how to function well in society and to learn the basics to get a job.

Sure, there are also unresponsable adults. But no one can hold your hand forever.

Why are you saying that EVERY SINGLE KID ON THE FACE OF THIS BLESSED EARTH doesn't have any responsibility whatsoever? That is just blatant ignorance!

BCVM22

You are absolutely right. Children worldwide should be permitted to obtain driver's licenses, hold jobs, own weapons, make personal medical decisions and do everything else adults can and must do.