• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

"Adultism" - This thread will really get your gears running!

Bobby Frank JR

Mewy Christmas!
Not too long ago New Zealand passed a law that stopped parents from being able to smack or hit their children.

Hitting encourages children to hit like adults.
Hitting your child makes them think that hitting is ok.
Children respond and try to be like their role models and if their parents hit them, they will hit others, trying to be just like an adult.

Basically.

Hitting=Adultism.

Gibbis

Read it,READ IT!
Time to summize this thread

OP is a butthurt child who clearly is grounded from outside and so he is forced to 'fight' the 'unjustice of the tall ones'by attemping to recruit fellow pokemon lovers to his cause

Smart move for recruiting, young one but I told the 'evil big ones' the secret plans for freedom and possibly a state run by children that will crumble faster than 'Jenga blocks'

Now to make millions outta this!

Ethan

Banned
I think everyone understands the difference between the experience of a child and that of an adult. It's important to keep in mind that in different cultures, those who are considered child and those that are considered adults vary. In ancient Israel for example you were still considered a babe even as far as your late twenties. That's the reason Jesus Christ didn't start preaching until he was 33, because no one would have taken him seriously if he hadn't. I do think "adultism" exists, if you want to call it that. I would simply use the term "Ageist." Theres nothing wrong with acknowledging that the difference in maturity between children and adults is generally wide, the issue is when the youth are dismissed even when they show incredible insight, or talents. Statements like "Children should be seen and not heard.", or "Never correct an adult." or "What do you know, you're just a child." a long the lines of what I'm talking about.

Adults need to understand that no matter how unclassy, or uncouth the youth of today seems to be, its ultimately just a reflection of a past generation. Children are impressionable. They mirror back what you give them. From the sexual revolution of the 70's to the Victorian 50's.

Last edited:

Tyrannotaur

Tyranitar Trainer
In my opinion all humans, regardless of age, race, sex, creed, financial standing or any other defining characteristic should be treated equally. When we lose sight of that, then you know something is wrong.

I do understand different cultures have different ideals, but that is just my opinion. The world would be a much better place if everyone treated everyone else equally.

Colliepop

Wonderboy
In my opinion all humans, regardless of age, race, sex, creed, financial standing or any other defining characteristic should be treated equally. When we lose sight of that, then you know something is wrong.

I do understand different cultures have different ideals, but that is just my opinion. The world would be a much better place if everyone treated everyone else equally.

Equallity is important, yes, but I really don't think thats the core issue here. This doesn't concern human rights, it concerns every Teenagers / Childs ability to under estimate the world, and over estimate themselves.

Last edited:

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
letting the butt whooping on a child cause he/she did something very wrong is ok every once in awhile.

kids need guidence, though.

You can let kids run around by themselves all the time, you know.

Rheine

Stabby McStabface
Okay, I'll focus on getting jobs/driver licenses, or such other responsibilities.

Some people in this thread are saying things like 'Imagine governments run by teenagers' or 'What if children are allowed to drive', etc.
Well, in a hypothetical situation, if there was no adultism whatsoever, people would still need to go through tests and selections to get jobs and licenses. Most of the children and teenagers won't pass them anyway. So reasons like these are utter failures.

Colliepop

Wonderboy
And in the process... Costing tax payers and employers billions in hours interviewing, testing and training those in order to cover all those hours.
Then again... Could create a few thousand jobs...

GoldChocobo

Gotta Love AmbushCat
Ill just say that all humans needed to be treated with equality. Though, as as said earlier, children lack experience with life itself. An example would be how a mother wolf raises her pups with love, and shows them how to live properly. Now each person is raised with different views, and values, some the same, but just to throw children into the world is, in my opinion, cruel. They dont kno how to do a job, what money should be spent where and so on. There are exceptions to the rule, of course as there always are, but to just allow children to be adults, with no information about anything theyre doin is cruel. Its like sending a blind person off a cliff, telling them theyre walking into theyre house.

Zayro

Legend Hunter
Growing up, my aspirations were often limited by my parents. I believe that parents today shouldn't let their kids wander down the wrong path, but they should be a little more easy going. Some children need to discover things on their own, and find their own answers for many of life's problems.

Colliepop

Wonderboy
Maybe your partially right. My mother had a very strict childhood, and in response I always had alot of freedom. She was always really cool, and I honestly think I turned out very decent. Well, nothing a mother should be ashamed of or anything.
But thats not the freedom we're talking about here. Maybe some peoples folks are a bit harsh, but teach me to drive down to the shops at 12 years old, or let me give up school for a full time job. I thank her for that.
She had the wisdom to know that waiting 5 years to be able to drive on my own, or to get work, is nothing in the scale of a lifetime. She had the wisdom to know that no matter how much I p****d and moaned, she knew better. She had the wisdom to know then when we hit 21 we all go 'Oh s***, where did my childhood go'.
You children need to stop pretending to be adults.

Last edited:

toonycj

Honestly,this is a no-win situation for either party, adult or child, and only a few help fight the problem. If a Child agrees he's damned by his peers for mutiny of a sort. If he disagrees to early then he could want a lot of independence, and when he's finally been relented said amount of freedom, and, used to having guidance along the way, and screws up badly, thusly the problem is supported, not fighted(??). If he disagrees to late, well, not much that's too bad can happen, so this is the ideal child. As for adults, well an agree just plain old supports the problem. A disagree-er(??) would be marked a traitor, and "immature".I personally think not for, or against this... Social Swine Flu of sorts.

darkjigglypuff

Borderline Troll

Vaporeon4evr

Cyndakill
Honestly,this is a no-win situation for either party, adult or child, and only a few help fight the problem. If a Child agrees he's damned by his peers for mutiny of a sort. If he disagrees to early then he could want a lot of independence, and when he's finally been relented said amount of freedom, and, used to having guidance along the way, and screws up badly, thusly the problem is supported, not fighted(??). If he disagrees to late, well, not much that's too bad can happen, so this is the ideal child. As for adults, well an agree just plain old supports the problem. A disagree-er(??) would be marked a traitor, and "immature".I personally think not for, or against this... Social Swine Flu of sorts.

Firstly: what? What is being agreed to?

To say this is a no-win situation is vague, and I don't think you've done a very good job of explaining yourself. Adultism is more or less a byproduct of the simple fact that an adult is (in most cases) more developed, knowledgeable, and mature than a child. Therefore, the adult is often capable of giving guidance to a child. The child may rebel, yes, and the child would consider this a "no-win situation" on his own behalf. But this guidance is ultimately beneficial to the child. Eventually, he will grow up and become an adult, and inevitably partake in adultism himself. It doesn't make him a hypocrite, it just means he understands the reason for "adultism".

In fact, this is a win-win situation. The child gets proper guidance, and the adult enjoys the benefits of a behaved child.

Social Swine Flu? Whatever analogy you're trying to make has missed its mark.

maxelle

Shadow Stalker
Okay here is my stance on this. And for your information I am 13 (Almost 14 in 3 weeks)

Regarding driving. I know for a fact I shouldn't be allowed to drive. I can't be trusted to walk a straight line without tripping over something. So trusting me with a car equals teen driving accident No. 456,634.

Now on the violent movie and game thing. Come on. If you can separate fact from fiction (Which is something I know I, and most of the kids in my school can do) you should be allowed to watch them. I have never actually thought about killing someone on a violent impulse (Well actually yes but that was before I started watching horror movies) and it is very stereotypical of you to say we are all idiots. Sure we make bad choices but so does everyone.I'm sure more adults kill/rape/steal/molest/evade taxes/bomb/ and do other crimes than kids. Also we have a tenancy to think more than you. Children can easily accept people than adults.

I remember reading a passage on a test about Thurgood Marshall (Its been awhile it may have been someone else). One day he was playing with his friend in the park when his friend's father came up to them and grabbed his friend by the arm and dragged him away scolding him not to "play with black kids" He was crushed by this.

In a child's world we are more accepting (Young child). Then as we become teenagers we begin to get steady doses of reality. Life does suck. Racism exists. People die every day.

But teenagers should be allowed to have more freedoms. 13-18. You need to accept the fact that sometimes our input is more valuable than you think.

And to make myself clear. I do not think of myself as smarter than adults, more mature than adults (Except idiots who go out, get drunk, and run some one over), and hope you treat this post with some common courtesy and don't dismiss it with the typical you know nothing because you aren't 18.

A number doesn't determine my value thank you very much. Or the way I think or feel. Once I'm 18 I won't suddenly be "I actually can stomach blood!!! I can think for myself!!!!! I can do whatever I want!!!!!!!!!!"

Sarcasm was used in several areas of this post.

Good Night.

Colliepop

Wonderboy
^^Very well written, and a very mature attitude, Maxelle.

Surfing_Pikachu

Kids need guiding and lack intelligence that adults have of course, but they shouldn't be treated as a completely different entity. Have any of you heard the Thomas Jefferson quote? "When I see a child, I think of two things. Tenderness for what he is, and respect for what he will become."

Colliepop

Wonderboy
Kids need guiding and lack intelligence that adults have of course, but they shouldn't be treated as a completely different entity. Have any of you heard the Thomas Jefferson quote? "When I see a child, I think of two things. Tenderness for what he is, and respect for what he will become."

They are different entities. We all are.
And children are not treated differently. Nearly everybody is treated exactley the same, depending on their age.
It's not hard concept to grasp, is it kiddies?

Validus

Kids are not the most intelligent thing out there, but more often then not they have their heart in the right place.

Adults are more intelligent but seem to lose sight of whats really important and tend to focus of wealth, leading them to ultimately make some desions that even the child would thing of as wrong.

I think Kids can teach some Adults what they seem to have forgotten. such as having fun and being happy, is more important than working all the time just to make money or, that you should kill someone because you disagree if their veiw on the world.

I think kids have a wisdom that people lose as we grow. I'm not saying they should be world leaders, but that world leaders should listen to their veiw on politics.
"Oh, but they don't understand any of it!" I disagree, sure they don't understand the reasoning behind most politics, but they can understand the outcome.

try to think of it this way, your living in a world where the "leaders" are ordering people to fight to the death, you don't know why, only that it is suppose to protect you. then you brother or father has to go fight, and they don't come back. obviously (to the kid) they are not being protected, they being killed. Fighting is never the way to fix a problem, or so we try to teach our kids. Yet adults ignor the lesson. Not only do adults fight, but if given the political power, they'll murder others who disagree with them.

My point, Sure kids are not the best at making choices, but if you look at the world, Adults arn't doing any better on their own. I think we need kids to remind us of the lessons we've been trying to teach them.