• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

"Adultism" - This thread will really get your gears running!

Proof? We had a TV show here in the UK were a group of 8 to 10 year old boys and a group of 8 to 10 year old girls were put into two seperate villages, with no parental guidance or adults at all

What happened?

They lived on pot noodles (In cold water by the way, they were terrified of the boiling water) and sweets, and ended up in, oh hey, sugar coma
When they were given money and taken to buy what they thought they needed
What did they buy? Sweets, toys, paint and nothing they needed like food, washing powder, etc.
And then they played with water guns, after a while one got over he fear of boiling water and filled his water gun with it (Fortunately this WAS intervened with due to it being so dangerous) and another one filled his gun with paint.

It all culminated with the kids being very traumatised, one killed tried to STAB another kid (Intervened again of course) and several tried attacking there parents for letting them be at the place (Dispite the kids volunteering for it)

Children's brains are not developed enough to cope with the world
They can't drive because their brains haven't developed the reflexes

It's not just an abritrary number, it's what science has shown the majority of children are capable of at that age

I'm 18 and my brain is still developing, just like all people I my brain isn't capable of multitasking properley and won't be until I'm about 25-28

It's not discrimination of children, it's the protection of children

Spirit of Darkness

I am a matured teenager and I am allowed to do whatever I want.
It isn't necessary for us to have some great things to do as I do think that our turn will be after few years.
Adults are mainly wiser more experienced, therefore they are ruling the world. Think about a world with teenagers ruling it; there will be a big mess and the whole world would end basically.
During the time we aren't adults, we learn new things and get more experienced, we can say that tenage is the gate of adultary.

Hell_fire

......duck...
if anything your dillusional rant further proves that not everyone is mature to handle every concept and that it takes time and experience to be able to develop the ability to respond to each situation as required and this experience and understanding of things is why adults remain superior to most average kids.
and this is a universally accepted fact by most people who can fully understand the logic behind 'ADULTISM'

Colliepop

Wonderboy
You know what grinds my gears, Lois? Whiny, prepubescent brats.
A child decides he is old enough to make his own decisions, and we all act shocked and appalled? Don't you remember thinking you don't need your parents as a child? I'm pretty sure it was my motto at one point. It's statements like this that define childhood.
Reading through the thread, I noticed phrases like 'mature child' being thrown around.
What I didn't notice was anyone pointing this our that is a GODDAMN OXYMORON!!!
I don't need to explain the differences between the brains of a 12 year old and a 22 year old, it's been done here.
Perhaps you feel that you are of above average intelligence for your age, and perhaps this is true. So put this to good use, accept that you are not mature, this comes with time, study hard, and when you come of age make something of yourself.
Look, if i had of made life altering decisions at 10 years old, I'd probably be living on a diet of wizz fizz and bubblegum and working in a check out at a toy store.
If i had of done that at 16, I would probably be working in the adult film industry or something of the like.
Now I'm at an age considered mature, and am glad that I have been given the time to plan my future with adequate timing, even if I was considered a gifted child, I know I would never of gotten to where I am if it wasn't for the adults in my life that were there to teach, decide for and guide me. Infact, there is a fair amount of biological evidence to suggest that the very reason that puberty is so lengthy and late in life when compared to other animals is to allow time for us to learn and develope the skills that we need to survive on our own, without adult intervention.
I'm not saying children don't deserve to be weighed and measured on their own merits, because they do. Nor am I suggesting that all childrens a morons and incapable of advancing on their own, while everyone over the age of 18 is of some order of supreme intelligence, but I am telling you, it is for your safety that you cannot make the decisions an adult can, and that you feel a need to complain about your 'situation' instead of accept it as the healthiest option for yourself is evidence enough that you are not ready. It's not because adults are bad guys and we like making your life suck.
I'd also to let you know that making decisions is not all it's cracked up to be. But I guess you will have to wait a while to find that out for yourself, and then try explaining this to the ungrateful children who spit up this crap all around you.
And as an interesting side note: In some parts of the western world, mostly isolated, rural areas, a kind of lisence is obtainable for younge children, allowing them to drive only to certain places, at certain times, taking certain routes, mostly to school and back, if it is impossible for their parents to take them but to far to walk.
On a similar note, it is well understood that younger drivers have the highest rate of accidents, due to lack of experience and undeveloped reflexes and brain function. Stick that in your plastic pipe and blow bubbles with it.
Peace kiddies!

Last edited:

Raikou_fan

Just to put it plain and simple, kids are STUPID!! Me being one of them. As much as it's a pain when adults control everything, they have more experience(experience that comes with age) in life and generally know better most of the time. Most kids are not mature enough to do most of the things adults do. Give them a drivers license and there won't anything left within a week. Give them a weapon permit and they'll shoot everyone who gets on their nerves. Give them all the R rated movies they want. It'll just give them more ideas on how to use the weapon permit. Lets them give alchohol. Besides making all the other problems worse that brings a big long list of new problems. Most kids just can't handle all the responsibility, no matter how mature they are.

Last edited:

Ghost Dialga

Master Trainer
For the most part I believe kids are too immature to do most things adults do... but that doesn't mean they're total nitwits. I don't believe you should give a kid a gun. Why? Not because they'll go around shooting everyone, you give them no credit for their intelligence if you think that. The answer is most kids do not have the proper training to use guns. Boy Scouts with the Rifle and Shotgun Shooting badges, they have had the proper training in using a gun, so I would see no problem in letting them get one, except for that old "You let one person do it you must let them all." saying.

Although kids do not have the experience adults have and the intelligence (from future grade levels, college, etc.) that doesn't mean all adults are intelligent and kids are stupid. Paris Hilton is an adult, and she's one of the biggest idiots I know of. The brain synapses in her head clearly did not connect right, but that doesn't mean the ones in children's heads do not.

Everybody is different, some more mature than others, some less. It's impossible to slap a label on an age telling that you're mature when you reach it, but on the other hand you can't judge by each individual. Acting like you are and being are two entirely different things. So although it isn't the best way to judge, there has to be a minimum age for things such as drinking, possessing guns, and marriage. Not because that's the "mature age", but because it's just, well, safer.

Alexiel

I'm awake!!!
seriously, why do adults want their children to look like an idiot?

dont tell me its about keeping them naive(in the good way, i mean)

why do adults want their children to be naive anyway? just not to be bothered by their mature attitude?

Last edited:

Barirista

seriously, why do adults want their children to look like an idiot?

dont tell me its about keeping them naive(in the good way, i mean)

why do adults want their children to be naive anyway? just not to be bothered by their mature attitude?

That really depends on the parents. Maybe they love their child so much they don't want him/her to be spoiled from a young age. Sort of like how you would frame an award from school and hang it up, and then take it down when something more prevelant came along (that's a rough simile).

However, if you're refering to restricting rated R movies, rated M games, sexual media and the like, then the answer is purity or lumousity. Parents don't want their children acting on ill-oradined cerebral impulses.
While many, many children say they can handle an R rated movie or an M rated game without feeling like killing or harming someone, enough of the media might shock you're mind and make you think a little differently.
I remember when I saw the first Saw at 11 and I thought I had revelated that humans were savage, and retribution was only an unchangeable charataristic of human life.
You're developing, and if you grow up believing something like that you wont "be like the rest of us".

As for the issue of "adultism", I don't need to say much. Everyone else has taked about the maturing of the brain and the undevelopment of children/teenagers.

I'm not saying children don't deserve to be weighed and measured on their own merits, because they do. Nor am I suggesting that all childrens a morons and incapable of advancing on their own, while everyone over the age of 18 is of some order of supreme intelligence, but I am telling you, it is for your safety that you cannot make the decisions an adult can, and that you feel a need to complain about your 'situation' instead of accept it as the healthiest option for yourself is evidence enough that you are not ready. It's not because adults are bad guys and we like making your life suck.

Alexiel

I'm awake!!!
hmm, i see

well still, they dont need to make kids dress up like dumb and dumber

my parents even took photos of me when im in the toilet, what the flying frack?

Ancient Chaos

That Guy Over There
During the time we aren't adults, we learn new things and get more experienced, we can say that tenage is the gate of adultary.

I don't have much to say at the moment since it all seems to be repeated by most of the posters in this thread, I may have something to say later though but - that's gonna be sig'd...
if you don't get it you're either one of the children not mature enough to get it - or you didn't really read it

Little_Pikachu

With Action Amusing!
It's okay to hit them when they're bad, take their things away, punish them, limit what they watch, tell them what to wear, and basically run their lives because of their age. It doesn't even matter whether the child is mature or not, he is still not allowed to see an R-rated movie by himself.

This just sounds like really good parenting to me, and if all children were treat like this I think we would see a lot less youth crime, teenage pregnancy and general off beat shenanigans.

This "adultism" just seems to be about adults who want kids to act like kids and not grow up too quickly.

It's okay to hit them when they're bad, take their things away, punish them, limit what they watch, tell them what to wear, and basically run their lives because of their age.

I personally see that as Sheltering a little too much.

Yes, I know that's the "norm," but just because its widely accepted doesn't make it right. On the other hand, it doesn't make it wrong, either. Let me explain.

Yes, a child misbehaves, but hitting them doesn't always solve the problem. Explaining to them WHY its wrong could be better, especially as they get older and begin to question your motives as a parent. A smack on the face isn't always an explaination.

Limiting what a child watches is acceptable, IMO. Unless, like my uncle, you limit it to only letting them watch one thing. He limits it to only letting them watch old Bill Nye the Science Guy episodes. Yeah, it was a great show, but that's a little extreme.
"Hey Billy, did you catch that episode of Pokemon Saturday?"
"No, but I learned about igneous rocks!"
"...umm."
Yes, I see where it can help them educationally, but it really sucks if you aren't into science. Haha.

Telling a kid what to wear kinda stops working after around 6th grade.
Well...it did for me, anyways. A kid gets more adventurous and rebelious in their preteen and teenage years, wanting to explore the "Why" factor, the things that a parent didn't show them or explain to them when they were younger.

That's one major fault with parenting; a lack of explaination of things to their kids. I really wish my parents would have told me a few more things when I was younger, then I wouldn't have had to find out on my own the way I did. No, I'm not talking about the "sex" talk. Most kids these days know by the age of about 6, from my experience.

I read a great quote on the "Are Your Parents Stupid" thread that went something like "When you're young you love, as you grow you judge." Of course. We all did it, unless your parents were Over-Controlling Neo-Nazis that beat you senseless whenever you questioned them or said "No" when they told you to do something. We look at how our parents are, then compare them to our friends. Did our parents give us this, did they tell us how this happens, etc. Its a normal part of growing up that a lot of people seem to overlook.

I could go further into parenting pressures, such as forcing your kid to get straight A's in school and beating or punishing them for anything less than a 98% on anything (Yes, I know a few families like this), but there's no need.

Exploration is a part of life, and a lot of kids are losing it due to parent over-protection. Of course the world is dangerous. There's no doubt about that. If you're so scared of the world yourself, why bring a kid into it who you don't want to be a part of all the "scary" things and "bad" people? If you do...why not walk your kid through their exploration, guide them on right and wrong, let them know what failure is like and encourage them to get through it lovingly. A small mind is a fragile thing, there's no doubt about that. That's why its better to help shape it rather than shelter it from learning new things.

/bs

Feel free to ignore my opinions or tear them apart at the seems.

Colliepop

Wonderboy
Yes, a child misbehaves, but hitting them doesn't always solve the problem. Explaining to them WHY its wrong could be better, especially as they get older and begin to question your motives as a parent. A smack on the face isn't always an explaination

I do agree that hitting an 8 year old, or wrapping a kettle cord around their legs, or popping them in the face is very, very wrong. But explanation alone is in no way an effective form of raising a child.
It is every parents job to instill good habbits in order to help their child grow into their maximum potential. Some are more effective in this than others for any number of reasons, but i feel that in trying to speak against over parenting, you are speaking for under parenting.

As I child, I remember my mother telling my to not climb on my bedroom wardrobe because I could hurt myself. Sure enough, the second she left the room, I did it again. The wardrobe fell ontop of me, and landed me in hospital.
Now, no fault to her, she explained why I shouldn't of done it, and really it would seem like common sense, even to 5 yr old. But, fact is, if she had of scolded me with more intensity, it might of saved me a few broken bones.
You cannot tell a child why, and still expect them to follow your every command.
How many times as a child where you told not to do something yet still did it, even if you know it was wrong? Many I'm sure.

Self discipline is the key to life, without discipline nothing is accomplished. Before we have the intelligence to know when to practice this, it is our parent duty to instruct us on it in order to teach us to enforce it ourselves later on.
In every way they are right to take away your belongings, yell, and ground you.

Last edited:

revolvingscott

Proof? We had a TV show here in the UK were a group of 8 to 10 year old boys and a group of 8 to 10 year old girls were put into two seperate villages, with no parental guidance or adults at all

What happened?

They lived on pot noodles (In cold water by the way, they were terrified of the boiling water) and sweets, and ended up in, oh hey, sugar coma
What did they buy? Sweets, toys, paint and nothing they needed like food, washing powder, etc.

And then they played with water guns, after a while one got over he fear of boiling water and filled his water gun with it (Fortunately this WAS intervened with due to it being so dangerous) and another one filled his gun with paint.

It all culminated with the kids being very traumatised, one killed tried to STAB another kid (Intervened again of course) and several tried attacking there parents for letting them be at the place (Dispite the kids volunteering for it)
Yeah, I'm gonna call this ******** right now. I've boldenified all the bits of ******** you spewed onto this thread.
There was no comas, the children did buy food etc (not enough in one case though).
No child tried to put boiling water into their water gun (and there was no fear of boiling water at all) or paint for that matter.
That child didn't try to stab anyone, it and i quote "harmlessly waved a knife 4 feet away from someone" and it was using said knife to serve food.
None of the children attacked their parents, they in fact had a lot of hugs and kisses.
There are no records of any child being traumatised so yeah, I kind of ****ed up your ******** story and I bet everyone believed you and all!

Gibbis

Read it,READ IT!

What happened?

It's not just an abritrary number, it's what science has shown the majority of children are capable of at that age

I'm 18 and my brain is still developing, just like all people I my brain isn't capable of multitasking properley and won't be until I'm about 25-28

This!

thats why OP's statement crumbles under, like a bridge designed by children

MattZ2007

The brain of most humans is fit for survival on its own at 15-16, because by that point many people know how to handle money. But if kids had to handle money often and had more responsibility, it could be ready at 10-11. If adults would make children have more financial responsibility, they could develop better financially. By watching the right shows, kids can learn to separate fantasy from reality by about the same age. However, not all children react the same way to certain stimuli, so we set a slower standard on what they can do so that they will react in a prefered fashion. I understand perfectly what seems wrong with that, but parents can override the laws if they wish for their child to develop faster.

I watched Watchmen in March, and there was a four year old in there, he reacted normally, like a 17 year old would. When I asked his dad why afterwards, he said that he had gotten his son to be able to separate the real from the fake, and that his son understood right and wrong moreso, by seening how horrible it was to commit certain actions. This allowed his son to develop to the point of having an understanding of right and wrong equal to that of a 17 year old. And I guarantee that he will never accidentally or in a fit of rage stab someone and kill them, because he knows how horrible death really is.

Last edited:

Competitive5910

Codename:ArseusEater
You are absolutely right. Children worldwide should be permitted to obtain driver's licenses, hold jobs, own weapons, make personal medical decisions and do everything else adults can and must do.

I wouldn't say so. Kids... are often reckless, especially teens. I'm sure that one will say that "Of they'll end up in jail", but what if the kid that was killed was a son of yours, or a daughter? Parents need to be controlled. Things need to be controlled to be in complete order. But yet some things can be corrupt. Children should have the ability to fight back, but must be prevented from doing so in a harmful way. But children? What are group are you referring to? 10-16 sounds ok for a learners permit with parent supervision. Holding jobs? There were people against child labor! Make personal medical decisions, only if the child has enough knowledge and will acknowledge the parent's suggestion. Everything else adults can and must do?...

I would like it if you gave me an opposing thought.
It's fun to think.

Colliepop

Wonderboy
MattZ2007 said:
The brain of most humans is fit for survival on its own at 15-16, because by that point many people know how to handle money. But if kids had to handle money often and had more responsibility, it could be ready at 10-11. If adults would make children have more financial responsibility, they could develop better financially. By watching the right shows, kids can learn to separate fantasy from reality by about the same age.

Can I ask to see your sources on this, or are you just making assumptions based on your own views?

MattZ2007 said:
However, not all children react the same way to certain stimuli, so we set a slower standard on what they can do so that they will react in a prefered fashion.

I think by 'prefered fashion', you actually meant to say 'safest fashion'.

MattZ2007 said:
I watched Watchmen in March, and there was a four year old in there, he reacted normally, like a 17 year old would. When I asked his dad why afterwards, he said that he had gotten his son to be able to separate the real from the fake, and that his son understood right and wrong moreso, by seening how horrible it was to commit certain actions. This allowed his son to develop to the point of having an understanding of right and wrong equal to that of a 17 year old. And I guarantee that he will never accidentally or in a fit of rage stab someone and kill them, because he knows how horrible death really is.

As far as I know, that child defies all that is known about human brain development. A four year old has very little knowledge of, therefore grasp on the world around themselves, how could they possibly know the difference between reality and falsehood? Besides, if you ask me, a parent subjecting their own offspring to viewing like this is a form of child abuse!

Competitive5910

Codename:ArseusEater

What happened?

Perfect! It's not discrimination, but when it gets to a point where the parents control the child without a LOGICAL reason, then its adultism