• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Advanceshipping General Discussion: Where Ash and May ADVANCE together ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveTheFishGuy

Fish Trainer
What made you become an AdvanceShipper?

Well, a bit like Hunter, I 'fell out' with the Pokemon anime for a few years. This was mainly due to the craptastic network coverage here in the UK.

Anyways, I got back into it when I started spending a lot more time at my computer, mainly due to uni. I found a lot of the AG eps, which I had missed most of, and started watching them again. I also found Bulbapedia, and was looking around that. Then I found the Shipping article.

I was pretty much stunned. This concept had never crossed my mind before. People pairing ficional characters with each other? I was intrigued, my curiousity had been piqued. I searched around the main ships, to see what these people had thought up. PokeShipping. I had watched the original series, and didn't think they clicked together at all. ContestShipping. I watched some of the older AG eps - when the TV channels weren't being stupid - with a friend. He brought up the fact that May and Drew were 'obviously' going out. I smacked him over the head, and told him not to be stupid. I hated the idea of that ship, though I've grown more accomodating recently. It's mostly to do of my hatred of Drew as a character though. PearlShipping. I hadn't even watched DP by this point, so couldn't really form an opinion on that one.

Then I found: AdvanceShipping. Now, having recently watched most of AG, these characters were still fresh in my mind. I loved the way they interacted, how similar they were, and how much they cared for each other - which I had thought was a little over "Just Friends".

Now, bearing in mind I'd just seen the saga's two main ships in action, the reason I'm an AdvanceShipper, and not a ContestShipper, is, as noted above, my hatred of Drew. I can't stand the guy. He's everthing guys like me hate. Ash, on the other hand, is like me - a nice guy. Maybe it was just a subconcious allegance to fellow nice guys, but that's why I leant toward AS over CS.

So, I settled on AdvanceShipping. After finding the Shippers community on BMGf, and a slew of really good fanfics, I began to really like the pairing. This was helped by the friendly and helpful members of another forum (JB's board). Then I found my way here, to SPPf, and found even more helpful, friendly, fellow AdvanceShippers. And more fanfics.

So anyway, that's basically how I became an AdvanceShipper. Sorry for spewing my life story everywhere. I just hope that this thread continues to go the distance, so I can still converse with you guys.

{Note: Sorry if I came off as bashy against certain other Ships. That was just my opinion when I discovered Shipping, I am a lot more accepting now.}

buster_wolf

Shinnippori!

A lot of factors made me into a pokeshipper. First off, I was once an avid watcher of the pokemon anime until around Johto. However, since the Advance Generation, I thought May was quite the cutie and I really adore their interaction together. Thus I decided to support this shipping. I used to be a mild pokeshipper like Hunter was, but anyway, I'm still a rabid Misty fan. XD But yeah, I thought this shipping at the time was fresh, new, and most importantly, very cute.

Well i used to be a pokeshipper for a long time untill the advance episode came out. i watch more and more untill i just loved May and Ash together. Ash and May together were so cute! i guess thats how I came a advanceshipper.

Last edited:

Mel-Girl

left. right.

Well, I already liked it to begin with as well as plenty other Satoshi and Haruka ships but then I get the feeling that somehow, Uzu-chan converted me to really liking it more. Plus Gazmof's fic (which I've been meaning to review for quite a while) has made me more of a fan. So I guess I got converted?

EDIT: I wrote an Advanceshipping oneshot in the shipping thread. Please R&R if you can. ^_^

Last edited:

kawaii serebii

PokeSpe Collector
I've been away for two days and you guys really chalked up a lot of posts.

I lost interest in it until 'Date Expectations' and I saw Ash saving May from the Donphan and went 'Aww... Drew will never do that...' XDDD So I became an AdvanceShipper, drowned myself in Suzu's work and fanfics and constantly argued AS vs CS with my sister (which I won)

I was an Advanceshipper way back in the day when Advanced Generation just started in Japan. Shortly after, I lost interest in Advanceshipping, as well as shipping as a whole. About a month ago, however, after reading some fanfiction out of boredom, the idea popped back into my mind. While most of you probably don't know me, I would like to once again discuss Advanceshipping. It's all nice to see the there's a new thread, as the old one was too disorganized... Anyway, onto the topic.

Mostly fanfiction. While shipping didn't appeal to me at first, Advanceshipping fics allured me into the whole concept of shipping. Advanceshipping was always my favorite, though.

EarthBorn

ConVulATiON

Let's go back to May 2007(geddit? MAY?)...
Pokemon. Oh, it was that anime I used to watch. Hold on, I still have those games on my GBA! Wait, there's a new one for the DS?

Enter my sister. She mentioned something about "Advance Generation reruns". She also said something about Ash traveling with a new girl. That was the moment which piped up my curiosity. A new girl? Wasn't that "Misty" still with him? Oh crap... how was I supposed to know about this when I had stopped watching the show in mid-Johto?

Anyhow, I watched AG. It was good. May was different, and the whole series was - I donno - fresh? Anyway, I did my research - and I loved fanfics. I went on to Fanfiction.net and thought that a nice, long fanfiction would do. Before that, I'd visited Bulbagarden. Incidentally, the shipping forums caught my attention. And coincidently, the first thread was the Advanceshipping discussion thread.

That was followed by May's Crush, Bulbapedia, me watching Pokemon again...damn, my sister became an advanceshipper too. Trust her for wasting my time. ;)

Last edited:

Gazmof

Zephyr Trainer

Well I've answered this a lot of times during my stay here at SPPf (first topic I answered in the original thread, in fact), and it's always a challenge trying to put my thoughts together ^^;;

Let's see... I, like many others here, was out of the anime loop for a long time (abandoned around about mid-Johto; not really my choice due to network anti-coverage, but I must admit the filler format was getting very stale). Eventually I saw the Pelipper episode of early AG, just by chance. At first I was like "Haha, wow, they're still going with this show? I bet it's still a whole mess of filler", and so I sat down to watch it. But no, Misty was gone! And a new girl was in her place; the delightful May.

Now I'd always been a huge fan of the Pokemon games and I adored the Hoenn girl's design (and much of Hoenn in general) so I was really excited when I saw that they were using that design for a new co-star. Almost immediately I noticed a drastic difference in Ash and May's relationship when compared to Ash and Misty (I've never been a fan of love-hate relationships and after the Orange Islands I figured Pokeshipping would become canon for sure). So it was all the more refreshing to see their relationship as a playful, friendly one. May would tease him sometimes, but it was all in good sport and I really did feel (and still do, of course) that there's a unique chemistry between the two of them. The mentor/student dynamic is also simply wonderful.

Plus Gazmof's fic (which I've been meaning to review for quite a while) has made me more of a fan. So I guess I got converted?
Yaaaay! :D That's so great to hear that I got someone into the pairing 'cause of my fic; that's like the ultimate compliment, really, so thank you ^^

And hey, Meganium Ex! I remember you from the old thread; you had quite the post count there. Welcome back to the fold, and to all the other new people who've begun posting!

And kawaii serebii... Took you long enough, huh? ^_~

ChloboShoka

Writer

By reading an x-rated SatoHaru fic named 'getting some satoshi finally' far too many times. xD But yeah, I also read some other fan fiction that got me into it.

Other than that, I quickly enjoyed May's character and started shipping her with Ash. I loved her interactions with Ash is well. Also they look very cute together and I adored the fan art of them.

Manix

Another round?
*Steps in*
Wait...never mind. /false confident tone/ Good (insert time here). /end/
Okay, I don't do public speeches. Over that.

Well, I honestly don't know. I think it might of been the fact I like May...and Ash, for that matter.

As well, I dropped from the anime earlier than most of you people did...and also didn't watch much of AG. So, May, I didn't know from the anime...anyways.

Also blame Bulbapedia's random page function. That's also how it worked out.

Methinks it was heighted after I read a advanceshipping fic here...what was it called? Destiny Bond? Aura Sphere? Wait, it has a sequel...*looks further up page* a sequel, Sacred Fire. Blame Earthborn for that. Read it...it's worth your time...

Well, that covers it. *steps out*
*peeks in* I'll be back... *gone*

Last edited:
Wow, already thirty posts and 455 views to boot. :eek: I think a pat on the back is in order =D

Welcome to the discussion Mel, I'm happy you decided to stop by =)

I've been a bad advanceshipper, only posted once since the opening of the thread =(

Oh, I like this question! Hmm, what made me become an advanceshipper indeed....

Well, like a lot of pokemon fans, I stopped watching around the beginning of Johto but came back towards the last few episodes of it. I still really wasn't interested in it, in fact, I think I came back to it because I had nothing else to watch :x But then, when the commercials of AG began to play, I was really excited thinking: Who is this new girl? Will Pokemon become better? Or worse? And then, when AG finally began to play I just fell in love with May's character and I've always wanted to find someone to ship Ash with, so they seemed to match to me.

I can't honestly remember when I began to take the shipping seriously because at first I just thought about it for fun and stuff. But there was a period from when I finally found Pokemon fanfiction on ff.net and made my own account to when I actually started posting fanfiction that I was an obsessed shipper. Seriously, all my thought and time went to AS. So I guess, to answer the question, what really made me an advanceshipper was simply fanfiction.net and all the awesome AS writers there =D

@ Gazmof: I like your signature =3

EDIT: by the time I finally post, more posts go through xD;; so, my bad, I guess it's thirty four posts, not thirty

Last edited:

Hunter_RuLe

< Guess who's back?
Wow, already thirty posts and 455 views to boot. :eek: I think a pat on the back is in order =D

Yeah, quite amazing isn't it? Only shows the like for AaMayl is still strong ^^

What about a new topic to keep this fuzz going?

How would you describe one of your own favourite advanceshipping moments?

This could be a nice 'hint' in the anime or any other personal experience with the ship that made an impact on you. I'll answer this later.

riolulu

<riolulu_sppf.exe>

When I first started watching the anime I was in love with aamayl. They just looked so damn cute together and worked SO damn well together! I just couldn't resist! I could feel the love...

~riolulu

Jbstormburst

AdvanceShipping Gen.
Wait, Meganium from BMGF? Well, it's a pleasure. BTW, the thread you started is still going.

I have to say, one of my favorite moments so far was when I saw the raw for DP076. I was so into it, I was mesmerized.

Time for another topic, I guess...
What's your favorite fanart?
[IMG200]http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk52/JbstormburstADV/AdvanceShipping%20Fanart/AshandMayV1.jpg[/IMG200]
^This one, by Suzu (his site's down, so why put a non-working link?)

Last edited:

Well, first, what is one of my favorite AS moments? =O once I think of that, I'll get back to this question =D

Easy~!

This one from: PD+ I just love how, first, they're drawn because it's so adorable <3 Also, the look on May's face of total admiration as she watches Ash playing with Pikachu. I've loved this fanart ever since I first saw it :)

And this one too, for obvious reasons ;)

Also from PD+

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to say before, welcome new and old posters =D

Last edited:
And hey, Meganium Ex! I remember you from the old thread; you had quite the post count there. Welcome back to the fold, and to all the other new people who've begun posting!

Thanks for the welcome, nice to see at least one person knows who I am, lol.

Wait, Meganium from BMGF? Well, it's a pleasure. BTW, the thread you started is still going.

Well, not really. I started the account, but then gave the username and password to my friend, which I regret, as he did something incredibly stupid that got me perma-banned, lol. At least the thread is still going.

Considering I only watched the beginning of the Advance Generation series, my fondness of the ship mostly came from fanfictions. There are a few particulars in here that I really enjoyed. Is this answering the topic? lol, I don't know.

One I really like is a pretty famous one, that shows Ash holding May around the waist, in which some lightning surrounds them. I'll post later, too lazy to go search for it now.

swampert55

I stopped watching the anime shortly after the 2nd season of Johto began. Sometime in 2005, I saw the first episode of AG, and it occurred to me that Ash and May made a good couple. Over the next year, I saw more AG episodes that reinforced that belief, and then I found out about the entire community/fandom etc.

What's your favourite fanart?
[IMG139]http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa96/swampert55/asc.png[/IMG139]
From http://www.suzu.raindrop.jp

Last edited:

The Horizon

The Forgotten One
Guess who's back? Wish I post sooner but after looking through the new thread I'm impressed at how many people already posting. So I guess this means you're doing a good job, Gazmof. And as for Hunter, your last words really touched me. No one else could have written it better. Oh yeah, almost forgot about Uza-Chan. You may be outnumbered by two boys, but you know what they say about girl power...plus you stand out from the rest.

This question never seems to get old but at least we get to know each other a little. Now back then, I didn't know people even called this kind of stuff shipping. My first actual experience is when everybody was into Pokeshipping. For me, it never really caught on despite the hints I've witnessed over the years. When the old group parted ways I was looking forward to a new kind of adventure basically because I prefered Ash going solo. But it wasn't long until a new character shows up and you know the rest. My first reaction upon seeing May was something towards the line of "Hey, it's that girl from the Ruby/Sapphire games." I was getting a bit curious as to how the cartoon will turn out so I gave it a looksee. Then I realized, "You know, Misty was just all right. Maybe it's good that they got rid of her." After a few watching of episodes, it seems like Ash and May got along great and already becoming good friends. Then I started thinking they look cute together. Even after awhile, I have never fully understand the concept of shipping, less knowing they actually call it that. It was back in 2006 that I've actually stumbled upon Serebii.net and I find more Pokemon stuff than previous places. Not too long I got to this forum and found a shipping thread. By that time I hear everybody "shipping" this and "shipping" that so I figured I go to find out why. I look through the list of shippings and they basically mean **** to me. One ship got me just a little interested, and funny enough, it is Advanceshipping. The title was a bit familiar because it was the name of the new Pokemon cartoon. I check it out and learned quite a bit about it. A dedicated community where you share a common interest; a metal show is like that, but I have no idea it is really popular here among this type of community. I read more of this stuff and I've come to understand what it means to be an Advanceshipper. Prior to this, I've already look through many Advanceshipping fics and fanart elsewhere. After two years of studying, I now fully understand the concept of shipping, and after two years, I am now a supporter of many ships. This one turns out to be my all-time favorite because it really shows what it means to be there for each other. Now, if only they can just embrace each other I be satisfied. And a kiss.

I can't figure out how to get this picture to show here so I'll just do this.
Click here.

This one really got to me and it still does to this day. Here's the link if you want to know.
http://www.thepokemontower.com/artists/adragoninthesky/art1.html

Last edited:

kitty123

Banned
Well Avanceshipping is my second favrite Haruka shipping so I'll join

What made you become an Advanceshipper

Well during some of the Hoenn league episodes I managed to see some romantic parts during the cartoon. Also Haruka and Satoshi get along quite well wuth each other. So pretty much during Pokemon Advanced, Advanced Challenge, and Advanced Battle I thought Advanceshipping would be possible. The part on Pokemon Ranger And The Temple Of The Sea when Satoshi was going to put the final piece of the Sea Crown back defenetly a part of Advanceshipping. So if Haruka gets together with Shuu then somehow they break up. Also if Kasumi broke up with Satoshi then Satoshi and Haruka will be together. Okay I've got my reasons down ;400;

Stage On

Aura guardian
What made you become an Advanceshipper?

For me It was seeing some of the more advanceshippy episodes like the Bicker the better and Date expectations, I started to realize that Ash and May had great chemestry together and after awile I just started liking the pairing more and more until it became my favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.