• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Advanceshipping General Discussion: Where Ash and May ADVANCE together ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breeder Drew

I feel like a new question is in order.

Besides eating and Pokemon training, what are some of the things Ash and May have in common? What makes this, in your opinion, the best ship for Ash and May?

Personally, I feel like May and Ash are two sides of the same coin. May is a feisty young girl who wants to succeed in life, and will do anything to achieve it. Ash is the same way about his Pokemon, and it seems as though when they are around each other, their competitiveness is amped up even more than it normally is. For an example of this, I'd say to watch the Sceptile-Blaziken contest episode.

I also feel like Ash, being as dense as he is, needs someone as emotionally mature as May to help him out sometimes. May, on the other hand, being as emotional as she can be, may occasionally need a strong rock of support, and Ash has always been shown to be willing to provide that to her.

Advance/Amour-Shipper

Advanceshipper
Besides eating and Pokemon training, what are some of the things Ash and May have in common? What makes this, in your opinion, the best ship for Ash and May?

They're both quite determined, and can sometimes be a bit stubborn. They're also quite kind and caring (see Manaphy). Ash can balance May's emotions, and May can teach him about what romantic emotions feel like (maybe even get rid of that denseness!). They do seem like two sides of the same coin, in more ways than one: they balance and complete each other.

On a side note, I'm wondering what would happen if Ash collected all of his Pokemon and used his most powerful in a league intelligently. Basically, let the world tremble.

Blastoys

Blastoise Fanatic

As I have said before, they are both selfless to a fault, kind and compassionate, they can be themselves in a relationship. If Ash gets angry, he can be calmed down by May, see destiny deoxus for an example. When she is upset and hurt he can comfort her and be her shoulder to cry on. Any ship where the characters can be themselves earns an A in my book. That's why contestshipping and pokeshipping wouldn't work out. May would not be able to have fun and silly around Drew. Misty would be bossy and too demanding around Ash.

Ash is not dense when it comes to love, he is ignorant. There is a big difference guys. How many of you when you were 10 years old were romance experts. Hmm, (hears crickets) I thought so.

Apparently, since my questions were terrible and they were not addressed I will ask a new question.

What would your Advanceshipping end game be for the series finale of Pokemon the Ash Ketchum Saga?

Last edited:

Breeder Drew

What would your Advanceshipping end game be for the series finale of Pokemon the Ash Ketchum Saga?

I guess it would have to end with Ash finally winning a Pokemon League or May winning the Grand Festival. I feel like having both happen over the span of a few episodes would be a fitting way to end it, at least in terms of an Advanceshipping style ending. This would allow them to get equal screen time and have both of them there to support each other through the competitions.

*Cracks knuckles* *cracks neck* *cracks bac- Graagghh, MY BACK!!!*

*ahem* Now that I'm free, let's commence this operation!

if ash and may were to run a business, what kind?

Oh, I like this question!
I'd like them to run a Cafe. I imagine Ash and May in a barista outfit while serving their customers some coffee and delicious sweets. I really like seeing both wearing something decent. I also imagine that Delia and Caroline will make the coffee and treats while Pikachu and some of Ash and May's Pokemon helps to serve them. Tracey and Misty run the counter, Brock and Max promotes the Cafe and Gary is Gary, lol.

What type of jobs do you see Ash and May having IRL?

Hmm, Ash is probably a Professional P.E. Teacher (giving his students a hard time, lol) while May is a dayschool teacher and they both live a happy life together with 100 3 children.

If Ash and May were to break up, how would they each handle the break up??

Hmm, this all depends on who's at fault and how it all happened but I imagine that both of them will be devastated by the situation and both will ask to have some time alone for themselves then afterwards, talk things out and maybe they start from the bottom again, meaning they become friends again and work their way up until their relationship becomes stronger than ever.

Ash never met May, do you think he'd be much different?

Hmm, I don't know, maybe he'll be the same as usual? As much as I want it to happen but I don't think May had much influence to Ash back then. It's the other way around since Ash had always helped out May whenever she needs it and it was all thanks to him that she fell in love with Pokemon and had a bright career for her own.

If you were to put Ash and May in another world/story, which one would it be and why? (Can be TV shows, manga's, anime, books, fairy-tails, etc.)

Being a Gundam Fan, I'd like to put them in a Gundam Meta-verse. Ash lives in a Space colony and his home colony was suddenly attacked by a rebel group who were defecting from the Earth Alliance. Ash and May, who is the current princess of the space colonies and was trying to promote total pacifism, were both caught up in a war between the rebels and the Federation where Ash accidentally discovered one of the Fed's secret weapon, the Gundam *dun dun dun duuuun*. He boards the Gundam in order to save his homeland and Princess May but ended up being forced to fight a devastating war.

Damn, I can almost imagine this! So epic!!! :D

Suppose that May has developed strong feelings for Ash at this point, how do you imagine May's reaction upon discovering that she has a love rival? (Serena?)

Personally, I think the first thing she'll do is to confirm whether Ash likes Serena or not. If he does, she'll probably move on and help Serena even if it means letting go of her beloved one. But if not, she'll probably be more obvious of her feelings towards him and test his density level.

How would May react to seeing the first American season title song of pokemon?(if you haven't seen it you can easily find it on Youtube) Also what would she think of seeing visually(like in a movie or clip show) some of Ash's moments in his adventures in Kanto and Johto?

I think she'll be more inspired and she'll admire him more since she'll realize how long Ash had been through even before coming to Hoenn and traveling with her. I think that will make May realize that she has to do her best as well (not to mention that she'll also make an epic OP song for herself to impress Ash, lol)

Their chemistry together works quite well. Not to mention how they battle. Since May had learned a lot from Ash, she had acquired most of his styles . And of course, there's how they both started out as rookies and how they became fine trainers. Oh and there's also their Pokemon having a lot of similarities.

I see Ash winning a league and goes home to Kanto and he sees May waiting for him there and they both hugged each other as warm welcome. Then they talk about their journeys and how they were able to brave each adventures and then they both confess their love and promise each other that they'll be together forever when they grow up.

Hmm, that's all for now, I'll be back with another interesting topic but for now, SAYONARA!!

Alright here's a good question!:
If Ash and May were actually childhood friends, would that increase the chances for them ending up in a romantic relationship? Why or why not?

Alright here's a good question!:
If Ash and May were actually childhood friends, would that increase the chances for them ending up in a romantic relationship? Why or why not?

Who knows, if they were able to pull off some back story for SatoSere and associate it with a bit of romance then what more if a childhood friends back story would be given for this shipping. The writers are also fond of childhood friends being in a romantic relationship as proven in some episodes in the past. Then again, they only worked for every guest characters and none for the Main characters so far. SatoSere was first to have a childhood story and that ship even has a huge chance of failing despite having a solid background.

Advance/Amour-Shipper

Advanceshipper
Probably increase, b/c anime. Also provide an even stronger basis for the relationship.
um that's basically the end of my fanfic (depends on whether there's a new region by the time I get to the end of Kalos and if I decide for Ash and May to go there). It will be quite epic though (at least, I think and I hope)

Blastoys

Blastoise Fanatic
Nice to see you back Setsuna and Asuna. Great answer on May's thoughts of the original pokemon season 1 theme song and seeing Ash's adventures in Kanto, Orange Islands, and Johto! :D
I personally think her seeing some of those she would be like:

"Wow, Ash I knew you could be dense at times, but wow you were really dense starting out."
"Hey, cut me some slack I was just brimming with confidence"
"Suuuuuuure, whatever you say Ashy. tee hee"
Ash began pouting, "Hey! We all start our journeys as scrubs."
"Relax Ash, I was just playing with you. It is amazing how much you have progressed now. At least you knew how to order Pokemon to attack, I didn't"

Setsuna, you pretty much nailed what my endgame would be!

Now I agree with you on how Ash has changed May's life, but I disagree with you respectfully on how she has not changed him that much. Before May came into his group, Ash was not really a mentor like person, he also did not comfort people much in the way he did with her. He would comfort people if they were upset don't get me wrong, but you see it bother him more when May is upset, or in her first contest battle how it pains him that he did not teach her battling for example. May coming in has matured him to helping out trainers especially starting ones by teaching them and offering them his advice. She exposing him to contests helped him out creative battle strategies as well.

Yes and no, it depends on what the writers would do with it. In general, yes it would increase it. Japanese media has that all the time where a boy and a girl as friends growing up become very close and they begin to see each other as something more as they get older. Zelda and Link from the Minish Cap and Skyward Sword come to mind to me. Then again if that does happen it can also become something as where they see each other more as brother and sister instead of romantic interests. Especially if the girl is a tsudere like character that has to play the straight man role(its a comedy term if you do not know it).

Building a romance on a childhood friendship is easier to do.
I perform said technique in my fanfic. :D

Last edited:

Breeder Drew

I can definitely see this going in either direction. Knowing the pokemon writers, I can definitely see May going for a romantic relationship and Ash friend-zoning her or something. On the other hand, perhaps it would provide a deeper connection for the two that would be beneficial to the ship.

If you were to put Ash and May in another world/story, which one would it be and why? (Can be TV shows, manga's, anime, books, fairy-tails, etc.)
If I had the choice, I would put Ash and May into the "Ace of Diamond anime" It's a baseball anime and idk, I just imagine Ash being this hard throwing righty with a bunch of energy. And I imagine May supporting and being their for Ash when he needs her. Eh it probably dosn't work well but the idea has gotten into my head a couple of times.

Suppose that May has developed strong feelings for Ash at this point, how do you imagine May's reaction upon discovering that she has a love rival? (Serena?)
I wouldn't call May the most level headed person in the world; She is sweet but can get dangerous if you get between her and something she loves...like food....oh and Ash too. So she probably would try to get Ash's and attention and I could see her give Serena the cold shoulder. But if she does find out had feelings for Serena, then May would probably not interfere.

Ash and May are perfect each other because they share a bond that is built on whole other level. They protect each other, they support each other, they even bicker (cause they leve each other). They have a great balance and understanding of each other shown by their contest battle and shared ribbon. They just complete each other.

Okay Advancers, I've been dying to start this little activity. It's pretty simple, we do a little role-playing. The situation will be an interview where either Ash and/or May will be on the spotlight and asked questions. Anyone can play the role of Ash and/or May, however after you answer the previous question, you are obligated to ask another question and someone else will answer it (as Ash and/or May of course). In other words, we play the role of the interviewer at the same time as the interviewee. Let's begin.

Interviewer: Ladies and Gentlemen, we would like to welcome our new guests here in our program. These two are great trainers in their respective regions and both are still on their journey through other regions to compete and fulfill their dreams. We also love their chemistry together and we all believe that these two are the perfect couple. Ladies and Gentlemen, a round of applause to Ash Ketchum and May Maple!

Now, let's get to the questions. Now first off, can you introduce yourselves? Let's begin with May. Tell us where you live, what is your dream, how you met Ash and how was he to your life?

Okay Advancers, I've been dying to start this little activity. It's pretty simple, we do a little role-playing. The situation will be an interview where either Ash and/or May will be on the spotlight and asked questions. Anyone can play the role of Ash and/or May, however after you answer the previous question, you are obligated to ask another question and someone else will answer it (as Ash and/or May of course). In other words, we play the role of the interviewer at the same time as the interviewee. Let's begin.

Interviewer: Ladies and Gentlemen, we would like to welcome our new guests here in our program. These two are great trainers in their respective regions and both are still on their journey through other regions to compete and fulfill their dreams. We also love their chemistry together and we all believe that these two are the perfect couple. Ladies and Gentlemen, a round of applause to Ash Ketchum and May Maple!

Now, let's get to the questions. Now first off, can you introduce yourselves? Let's begin with May. Tell us where you live, what is your dream, how you met Ash and how was he to your life?

May: Hi there! I'm May Maple, daughter of Norman and Caroline Maple and the big sister of Max Maple. I live in LittleRoot town in Hoenn region. My dream is to become one of the best Pokemon coordinator in the world. Well originally, that wasn't my dream at all since all I wanted to do was to travel in different places but Ash helped me realize what I should really do. I met him when I was getting my starter Pokemon from Professor Birch. Quite honest, if I hadn't met him, I would probably be out of nowhere by now and I'm glad that he helped me out. Not only that, he has been very supportive of me and I appreciate all of those. He's one of my reasons for pushing further even though the going gets tough most of the times. Ash will always have a special place in my heart.

Interviewer: Lovely. How about you, Mr. Ketchum? Can you tell us something about yourself? What is your dream and how were you able to help out May and how was your journey with her?

Interviewer: Lovely. How about you, Mr. Ketchum? Can you tell us something about yourself? What is your dream and how were you able to help out May and how was your journey with her?

Good start, Asuna!

Ash: *scratches the back of his head* Umm, Hi! my name is Ash Ketchum from Pallet town! My dream is to become a Pokemon master and winning those leagues is a stepping stone for that. Not only that, I also want to learn many things about Pokemon, befriend them and gain more knowledge about their natures. For me Pokemon is the best thing in my life! *stares at May who was releasing an evil aura* *sweatdrops* Uhh, well there's also May who is the best companion that I ever had. Well, I didn't really taught May much. She did a lot of things by herself. All I did was push her a bit and support her when she needs it. May is a strong girl *approaches interviewer and whispers to his ear* (Well, literally). I know that if she puts her heart to it, she'll be able to accomplish anything! My journey with her were never dull. She may not know it but even I learn a lot from her and she had always inspired me whenever she's on a contest. In fact I got to a contest because of her and I'm glad I just did! I won my 1st ribbon. Well, our ribbon *takes out the half of his Terracotta Ribbon* *May does the same*.

Interviewer: Those are some nice ribbons. But why are they in half? Does your ribbons signify anything?

Last edited:

Blastoys

Blastoise Fanatic
Good start, Asuna!

Ash: *scratches the back of his head* Umm, Hi! my name is Ash Ketchum from Pallet town! My dream is to become a Pokemon master and winning those leagues is a stepping stone for that. Not only that, I also want to learn many things about Pokemon, befriend them and gain more knowledge about their natures. For me Pokemon is the best thing in my life! *stares at May who was releasing an evil aura* *sweatdrops* Uhh, well there's also May who is the best companion that I ever had. Well, I didn't really taught May much. She did a lot of things by herself. All I did was push her a bit and support her when she needs it. May is a strong girl *approaches interviewer and whispers to his ear* (Well, literally). I know that if she puts her heart to it, she'll be able to accomplish anything! My journey with her were never dull. She may not know it but even I learn a lot from her and she had always inspired me whenever she's on a contest. In fact I got to a contest because of her and I'm glad I just did! I won my 1st ribbon. Well, our ribbon *takes out the half of his Terracotta Ribbon* *May does the same*.

Interviewer: Those are some nice ribbons. But why are they in half? Does your ribbons signify anything?

Oh boy! Role playing! (gives deep breaths) Here goes nothing!

Ash looks towards May. He notices she is eager to answer the question. So he motions for her to take it

May: Well you see that is an interesting story. After I competed in the Hoenn Grand Festival and Ash likewise in the Hoenn League. We decided to go to Kanto. I wanted to continue journeying with him even if Kanto did not have any Pokemon Contests as he decided to take on the Battle Frontier.

Anyways, after many exciting adventures in Kanto, Ash and I decided to take part in the Terracotta town Pokemon Contest. We both ended up making it to the battle round racing each other. I battled with my Blaziken and he likewise with his Sceptile. It was an intense battle but we ended up in a draw. There was only one ribbon and the judges did not know what to do and....

(Ash interrupts) And that was my idea to have Sceptile use Leaf Blade to cut in half! (Ash beaming towards the camera) May was slightly annoyed but cheered up at Ash's entusiasm. He nodded towards her to let he continue.

May: So as you can see this became a good parting away gift. Ash and I entered that contest as the last thing to do together before Max and I took the ferry back to Littleroot Town. That's when I decided to go to Johto and compete in Pokemon Contests there.

Interviewer: That is a very lovely story there you two. So what made you decided to go your separates ways? It seems you enjoyed each other's company at the time and had many fun adventures together.

Interviewer: That is a very lovely story there you two. So what made you decided to go your separates ways? It seems you enjoyed each other's company at the time and had many fun adventures together.[/I][/B]

May: We decided to part ways since I kind of want to have an independence of my own. I want to compete in contests without relying too much to others, especially from Ash. But uh, that's not a bad thing. You see, Ash's teachings has been great and I had a lot to thank from him so I wanted to show him that the student he once took under his wings is a strong coordinator now *blushes*. I want to let him know that all the trouble that he's been through for me didn't go in vain. now that we're back together, I think we can conquer any hardships out there no matter what!

Interviewer: Fascinating thing to say. Now tell me, ms. Maple, what are the things that you like from Mr. Ketchum?

Interviewer: Fascinating thing to say. Now tell me, ms. Maple, what are the things that you like from Mr. Ketchum?

May: Well, I like his energetic personality. I believe that's what defines him as Ash Ketchum in the first place. I also like his density level, hihi!

Ash: What?

May: See? If it weren't for that, I probably missed my chance. good thing his senses in terms of romance is as hard as steel and I was the only one who broke that. He's one tough cookie. Hihihi!

Ash: Hey! That's not true! I'm...Er...I'm just inexperienced. That's all.

Interviewer: And how about you, Mr. Ketchum? What are the things that made you fall for Ms. Maple?

Advance/Amour-Shipper

Advanceshipper
May: Well, I like his energetic personality. I believe that's what defines him as Ash Ketchum in the first place. I also like his density level, hihi!

Ash: What?

May: See? If it weren't for that, I probably missed my chance. good thing his senses in terms of romance is as hard as steel and I was the only one who broke that. He's one tough cookie. Hihihi!

Ash: Hey! That's not true! I'm...Er...I'm just inexperienced. That's all.

Interviewer: And how about you, Mr. Ketchum? What are the things that made you fall for Ms. Maple?

Well, at first I saw her as a student, albeit a beautiful one, but as we continued on our journeys, I came to see her more as a best friend. For some strange reason, I would always get angry and upset when Drew was around: I guess that was jealousy, but I didn't know that back then. Then, when she decided to leave for Johto, I thought it would help her, so I held back my feelings of doubt about it being a good idea. It wasn't until I was in Sinnoh that I realized that I missed her so terribly much, but at the time I couldn't do anything. I didn't recognize this foreign feeling I had until I talked with Brock, and it turned out to be love. I love her personality, her kindness, her determination, and her beauty. May, you're just so perfect. I feel like I could never be good enough for you...

Breeder Drew

Since this RP thing apparently has not taken off, I'll start a new topic.

Is there anything incredibly specific about Advanceshipping that you think sets it apart from other ships? What is it?

I think it's the teacher-student relationship that Ash and May have that make it such an interesting pairing. Very few ships in the Pokemon fandom have this aspect to them, so I feel like it really sets Advanceshipping apart from the others in terms of originality.

Since this RP thing apparently has not taken off, I'll start a new topic.

Is there anything incredibly specific about Advanceshipping that you think sets it apart from other ships? What is it?

I think it's the teacher-student relationship that Ash and May have that make it such an interesting pairing. Very few ships in the Pokemon fandom have this aspect to them, so I feel like it really sets Advanceshipping apart from the others in terms of originality.

Personally, I think what sets this ship apart from the rest is the fact that Ash and May had a lot in common.

Both started as newbies
Both had a hard time with their starter Pokemon
Both have fondness for food
Both have Bulbasaurs (and we know Vine-shipping exists for this reason)
Both have squirtles
They have similar battle style
Both of their fire-types evolved to their final evolution (and both are awesome :))
And of course, their very own ribbon.

Now I'd like to ask,
For you, what is the sweetest moment between Ash and May in the show? Note: Movies are not counted

Advance/Amour-Shipper

Advanceshipper
I personally like the teacher-student relationship and how they became equals (as close as anyone can be to Ash).

For you, what is the sweetest moment between Ash and May in the show? Note: Movies are not counted
Well I didn't watch much of it, but the farewells always get me. Movies of course were touching, especially Movie 9 (which was basically an Advanceshipping movie)

Status
Not open for further replies.