• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Advanceshipping General Discussion: Where Ash and May ADVANCE together ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazmof

Zephyr Trainer
So guys - in the last thread we had a brief conversation about a potential Advanceshipping Day where we could have contests and other fun stuff. Anyways I think it has a lot of potential, but we need to decide two things:

1:
What day should Advanceshipping Day be?

and 2:
What other activities should Advanceshipping Day hold to make it unique from every other day here?

Think of these as "special" topics, if you will.

Also a warm welcome to lunarshadow! Please enjoy your stay here.

EarthBorn

ConVulATiON
What do you think Ash and May will be like in about seven years? What do you think their relationship will be like?

Obviously, I expect both of them to be a whole lot mature. If they don't have a relationship with someone else *cough*, I really do expect them to get close. Of course, this is just idealistic thought, not that I expect this to happen in the anime at all - sadly. If Contestshipping is to be at one point canon towards the future, I'd rather it become so now then then (surprisingly) for it's better to get over with it, and end it. ;)

I'd like it to be the Japan broadcast of the AG001, ?????????????!! (Get the Show on the Road ), when May made her first anime appearance, and started to travel along with Ash. I don't have any other reason though.

What other activities should Advanceshipping Day hold to make it unique from every other day here?

Not sure about that. I'll need to think. We might be, say able to do an annual Oneshot fest or something. We still need a few ideas though.

Gaiash

Champion Scientist

I'd like it to be the Japan broadcast of the AG001, ?????????????!! (Get the Show on the Road ), when May made her first anime appearance, and started to travel along with Ash. I don't have any other reason though.
I agree since that marked the birth of Advanceshipping. The potential dates are November 21st (Japan) and March 15 (USA). I vote November 21st.

I haven't posted in a few days, and in my time, that's forever :p

Anyway, on to the topics !

Well, since it seems that we're going to have Advanceshipping Day anyway, I guess I have to agree with Gaiash, November 21st. Because A) It's the first time May was ever shown on TV (I think xD;; ) and B) well, it's a heck lot sooner than March, right =D

Um, it's advanceshipping, the best shipping out there, what else is there to make it unique? *shot*

Not sure about that. I'll need to think. We might be, say able to do an annual Oneshot fest or something. We still need a few ideas though.

Or a one-shot contest! =D I know that we have a lot of awesome writers here in this thread, and even if you're not a writer, just try it for the sake of Advanceshipping day! And we can have a few judges judging but the judges can't be writing for the contest. Also let's have a fan art contest as well for there are awesome fan artist here as well ! But maybe nothing over PG (yeah, I'm looking at you buster_wolf ;))

Of course, this is just a suggestion. Maybe through out the day we can just remember all the great stuff of advanceshipping and post songs and stuff that remind you of AS or your favorite AS-ey stuff.

DaveTheFishGuy

Fish Trainer
Well, this all sounds very interesting!

Well, we can have it November 21st, the premier of AG001 in Japan.... OR we could do that AND celebrate on March 15th, the premier of AG001 in America (and in English)! That's pretty much half-yearly, and is perfect to wash away any winter blues we may have (if you're northern hemisphere of course).

Of course, that may just sounds stupid and crazy, but I'ma crazy kinda guy...

I agree with Uza-chan, a one-shot contest would be pretty sweet! I might enter, if I've gotten my Muse back by then... {plays Absolution at max volume} :D

I've gotten sucked into the battle forum recently, to the detrement of my fic. I start to wonder if I'm the only battler who comes near the Shipping section, and vice versa. Oh well....

Last edited:

Jason-Kun

Novermeber 21st seems reasonable. It did mark the birth of the 'ship, didn't it?Plus I don't think anyone'll be busy then.

Oooh I like the idea of a Poem Competition to go along with that oneshot idea. Like writing poems to represent the 'ship ya know?

lunarshadow

Hadou Aprentice
For the sake of voicing my opinion and voting, November 21st is perhaps the most reasonable one.
But I think that March 3rd is also a decent idea with the US air of Home is Where the Start Is! Symbolizing the day when Ash and May had to split but held true all the way to even Sinnoh. If anyone could find the Japanese air date, that would be more fitting.

I think the best way would be for everyone (who has one) to post a sample of their fanfic, be it poem, oneshot, short story, or even novel. I would partake in that because I actually have a fanfic brewing for the past three months that now has five chapters, each ten pages long, but I feel I need to go even deeper in description and emphasis and so on. This would be a day when everyone could try and show their love of Advanceshipping!

P.S. If anyone would like to see my fic, just PM me and criticize as brutally as possible.

P.S. II. Thanks to all of you guys for a warm welcome! Dang, I wish all forums were as receptive as this one.

Last edited:

Advanceshipping day? Erm, I'll just be my regular unoriginal self and vote November 21st. The only other date I could come up with is the launch date for Ruby and Sapphire, where May appeared for the first time, but I think November 21st is better, for obvious reasons.

Again, I'll be unoriginal and say a fic contest. To be honest, there isn't really much else you can do.

I think it would be when the first AG episode first showed in japan.

Well people can show their fan-fics they like or made them selves or they canpost fanart.

kawaii serebii

PokeSpe Collector
I vote for the day when movie 9 is aired. If we're gonna have a shippy day, choose a shippy episode/movie date. Besides, the air date for movie 9 is drawing near.

Manix

Another round?

Well, I can't think of one, so, November 21st, like everyone else.

Now...I'll just agree with everyone else here. Poems, One shots, etc.

And to finish.
I've gotten sucked into the battle forum recently, to the detrement of my fic. I start to wonder if I'm the only battler who comes near the Shipping section, and vice versa. Oh well....

That makes two of us. I battle lots. I come here often.

Hunter_RuLe

< Guess who's back?

I'd like to agree with 21 november, the first episode and the first hint in the original anime sounds like a very nice reason. And because a year can be a long time I don't think Dave's idea is that crazy either. This must be fun.

This is kinda difficult, as most of us will post whatever advanceshipping they made/found whenever they want anyway. But we could make it a special deadline for several contests. I like the One-shot idea, and I would like to add my banner idea (and perhaps another category like fanart/video/ect.) aswell. The members could vote which entries they like the best, and those will be added in the first post, where the maker would get credit for it. Besides that I guess we could also have some kind of advanceshipping awards.

Sushi

unspecified
Staff member
Super Mod
Oh, unless I'm braindead or something, this'll be my first post in the new thread. Yay?

Advanceshipping day? Erm, I'll just be my regular unoriginal self and vote November 21st. The only other date I could come up with is the launch date for Ruby and Sapphire, where May appeared for the first time, but I think November 21st is better, for obvious reasons.
That'd be the very same day ^_^ The broadcast of a new series always coincides with the launch date of its respective games, so November 21st really is perfect =)

Needless to say, I'm also of the opinion that there's no better day than 11/21 ;]

Uh, good question. I agree with the majority here and say that there should be both a Fanfic and a Fanart challenge, possibly running for two weeks or so.

For example, the members are given one or two prompts/themes on 11/21, and those who want to participate either make a one-shot or some piece of Fanart corresponding to the theme(s).

And, seeing how these two topics were rather more organizational than shippy overall, I'll respond to one older topic as well:

How Advanceshippy would the anime have to become to make you happy? or at least satisfied?
I was mostly satisfied with the way AG was handled in that regard.

Being the persistent person I am, I still think that the story about Ash and May's battle-styles colliding - which ultimately lead to her departure - was handled very poorly.

I was glad and somewhat relieved that the Terracotta Contest took place in the end because it "repaired" some of the damage...but seeing how AS is build up on being a tutor/student relationship, this aspect being the reason they split up in the end left a bad taste in my mouth. Ah well, May leaving would have happened anyway, so I won't complain any mroe x_x

And nevertheless, the rest of AG couldn't have been much better. Ash and May interacted a whole lot and helped each other, and I enjoyed that very much.

If you're asking about the current situation, then...yeah, May would have to be there, first things first XD [spoil]I enjoyed her comeback episodes though. There wasn't a whole lot of interaction, but that was to be expected and therefore wasn't a crushing disappointment. Ash seemed very interested about how she is doing on her own and asked several questions, so he still cares at least ;)[/spoil]

Gazmof

Zephyr Trainer
November 21st seems like a pretty unanimous decision. I'm cool with having another one on March 15th though, if people want it. That way, we could also cycle the judges, because I agree with Uza-chan that people entering should not also be judging.

Oooh I like the idea of a Poem Competition to go along with that oneshot idea. Like writing poems to represent the 'ship ya know?
Great idea! So the way I see it, we have separate contests for short fanfics, fanart, AMVs, poems and graphics (banners/buttons/stuff like that). Any other suggestions to throw in the mix?

Uh, good question. I agree with the majority here and say that there should be both a Fanfic and a Fanart challenge, possibly running for two weeks or so.

For example, the members are given one or two prompts/themes on 11/21, and those who want to participate either make a one-shot or some piece of Fanart corresponding to the theme(s).
Sounds good to me ^^ That way we can make Advanceshipping Day really unique. Trust Sushi to make everything fall into place :p

Oh, unless I'm braindead or something, this'll be my first post in the new thread. Yay?
Yay! :D

Being the persistent person I am, I still think that the story about Ash and May's battle-styles colliding - which ultimately lead to her departure - was handled very poorly.

I was glad and somewhat relieved that the Terracotta Contest took place in the end because it "repaired" some of the damage...but seeing how AS is build up on being a tutor/student relationship, this aspect being the reason they split up in the end left a bad taste in my mouth. Ah well, May leaving would have happened anyway, so I won't complain any mroe x_x

And nevertheless, the rest of AG couldn't have been much better. Ash and May interacted a whole lot and helped each other, and I enjoyed that very much.
Ah, so true... You really did sum up everything I wanted to say, here, though I feel things started to degrade rapidly upon reaching the Battle Frontier. I pretty much loved all of Hoenn, filler or otherwise, but as soon as the Battle Frontier arrived... Things became different. It's so tough to describe - like suddenly I felt May was a whole different person. She almost became too involved in her contests and started ignoring everything else around her.

RobSp1derp1g

On my way...
Great idea! So the way I see it, we have separate contests for short fanfics, fanart, AMVs, poems and graphics (banners/buttons/stuff like that). Any other suggestions to throw in the mix?

Hey, Gazmof, can we have a contest for Best Song that fits/describes AdvanceShipping? Because I think I would win it... *mischievous grin*

Sounds like we have a plan =D
So, I guess, the next step would be saying which contest you want to join and who wants to be a judge. So, right now we need three judges and judges can't be entering any of the contests. And also, you have to know what you're talking about. Not like "OH EM GEE, I'VE NEVER WATCHED AN AMV IN MY LIFE, BUT I WANT TO JUDGE!"

Also, it would be good if there was a general list of things that the judges agreed on that the AMVs/fanfics/songs/poems/and whatever else was there has to be judged on.

So, just to be clear, we're going to have three judges only, so all three judges are going to judge all the contests. ^^

And, I guess that's all I have to add for now =D

Gaiash

Champion Scientist
I can't believe I didn't notice this one.
what do you think Ash and May will be like in about seven years? What do you think their relationship will be like?
My answer is in fact the fanfic I just started writing. Its called Shiny Reunion and it is set seven years after Ash started his journey. Without spoiling anything I'll say this;
Ash is now more aware of the idea of romance and starts to realise just how perfect for him May is but hes never dated anyone before and is afraid of ruining his friendship with her.
The story also features another couple that are in fact engaged.

DaveTheFishGuy

Fish Trainer
@ Uza-chan: That sounds like a really good idea! If I haven't got my act together by then, I'll apply to be a judge. I'd like to try writing it, but if my Muse still eludes me (despite having listened to Black Holes And Revelations only last night), I'll judge. Well, the fics at least.

Well, it seems like the current topics have been answered, so I hope no-one minds if I post another one:

Was there anything you really disliked about Ash and May's interaction? How would you have changed this?

I can't really think of an answer for this. It took me long enough to think of the topic, let alone an answer! I just noticed people commenting about May's personality changing in Battle Frontier (which I avoided due to the suck-tackular theme song, as well as the complete lack of airing in the UK), so thought people could elaborate.

And now, I return to my lair in the battle forum....

The Horizon

The Forgotten One
American Idol has three judges and only one of them is a funny jackass.

I've been a bit busy for a few days so I'm trying to catch up on what's happening now. For Advanceshipping Day, how about if we could make it some sort of greatest Advanceshipping hits or something towards the line of that. That would mean your favorite Advanceshipping scene in the anime, favorite fan-based projects and a lot of other stuff. Some party music would help too. If your looking for a judge, what are the qualifications for being one?

Picture in your mind a perfect love scene between Ash and May.

Yes, it is a new topic I came up with. Something I thought will get your mind going.

kawaii serebii

PokeSpe Collector
Maybe the day Date Expectations in Japan aired? Or Grass Hysteria, depending on how much shippyness the episodes have. I don't mind November but... it kinda clashes with my cosplay costume collection <=)

Status
Not open for further replies.