• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Advanceshipping General Discussion: Where Ash and May ADVANCE together ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midnightmoon6o2

"Tougher than you."
Congrats everyone on the one-shot contest, all fics were great reads. i should review them when i have the time.

@Wuster: The best chance for May to ever make a camo in BW is when R/S get remade which is pretty far away from now. so lets wait a little longer. =)

Chaos_Umbreon

Advanceshipper!
I'm not to certain that there will be remakes of Ruby and Sapphire as the Gen 3 games are still compatable with Gen 4 unlike the original Gen 1 & 2, although I wouldn't mind it as R/S/E were my favourite games and it would be a good chance for May to make a reappearance, but I'm sure that there will be other chances for it to happen.

Coincedently I'm replaying my Sapphire version atm as May, good times.

Midnightmoon6o2

"Tougher than you."
I'm not to certain that there will be remakes of Ruby and Sapphire as the Gen 3 games are still compatable with Gen 4 unlike the original Gen 1 & 2, although I wouldn't mind it as R/S/E were my favourite games and it would be a good chance for May to make a reappearance, but I'm sure that there will be other chances for it to happen.

Coincedently I'm replaying my Sapphire version atm as May, good times.

I'm not saying which console will be better than the others. im just saying that in a few years time Gamefreak will announce the remake of Hoenn. i mean whats the point of remaking Firered, Soulsilver and then not remaking the Hoenn region games? Pokemon is like Nintendo biggest cash cow. i mean Nintendo got 4.7 million worldwide in the selling of Diamond & Pearl.

The Hoenn remakes are the best chance for May to reappear in the anime, since May is the playable female chararther in Ruby/Sapphire. but when will the remake of Hoenn will happen is another question.

Chaos_Umbreon

Advanceshipper!
Originally posted by midnightjewelz
I'm not saying which console will be better than the others. im just saying that in a few years time Gamefreak will announce the remake of Hoenn. i mean whats the point of remaking Firered, Soulsilver and then not remaking the Hoenn region games? Pokemon is like Nintendo biggest cash cow. i mean Nintendo got 4.7 million worldwide in the selling of Diamond & Pearl.

The Hoenn remakes are the best chance for May to reappear in the anime, since May is the playable female chararther in Ruby/Sapphire. but when will the remake of Hoenn will happen is another question.

Sorry, I wasn't commenting on which console was best, I was just making a point that a Hoenn remake probably won't happen until the season after B&W as the games after will most likely be on the 3DS and possibly not compatable with the GBA games at that point, and so a remake will most likely be made after those games. My appologies for not making my previous post clear, I didn't mean to say that it won't happen, it's just that it will be a long time off and that there will be other chances for May to make a cameo during B&W.

Midnightmoon6o2

"Tougher than you."
Sorry, I wasn't commenting on which console was best, I was just making a point that a Hoenn remake probably won't happen until the season after B&W as the games after will most likely be on the 3DS and possibly not compatable with the GBA games at that point, and so a remake will most likely be made after those games. My appologies for not making my previous post clear, I didn't mean to say that it won't happen, it's just that it will be a long time off and that there will be other chances for May to make a cameo during B&W.

I see, i understand a little more clearer now. Since BW is going much faster than normal, they might be also a region filler. like the Battle Frontier in Kanto. unless the writers have some sneaky idea that would break our hearts again. like with no one showing up in Pallet. oh, how that broke my heart. no one came to see Ash. T_T

swampert55

So, here's a topic to force all of you to make a painful decision:

Which do you think is more representative of Advanceshipping: Advanceshipping fan art or Advanceshipping fan fiction?

Midnightmoon6o2

"Tougher than you."
Which do you think is more representative of Advanceshipping: Advanceshipping fan art or Advanceshipping fan fiction?

Tough one. im going fanart because in fanart the artist can put in emotions that fanfiction can't. i mean the look in their eyes, the feelings they have in fanfiction the writer has to find ways to describe this through words but in fanart they can just simple draw what they see in their mind.

Hjörung´s wrath

Merovingian relic

Very difficult to say. There is a solid library of quality fan work in both mediums.

For me, fan art was the initial catalyst that played a major role in introducing
and making me fall in love with this pairing, so I´d probably rank it a tad bit
more representative due its immediate power to encaptivate and draw in
many new potential shippers. I guess I see fan art somewhat as
an introductory "poster boy" while fan fics, music vids etc. are more
comprehensive, the flesh on the bones.

Hot Limit

I finally got the game, Pokemon Black! xD

Wow, that's a really tough question. On one hand, fan art has a lot of aspects that one can visually see with their own eyes. On the other, fanfiction portrays a different picture in one's head. Although fan art can represent Advanceshipping very well, fanfiction can portray their characters that shows readers who they are and how they or potentially can interact; a vivid image can still be seen when telling a story, and sometimes even clearer than a picture. Yet, fan art can say a lot as well.

plus I love doing both, so I have no idea which to pick! D:

Tough one. im going fanart because in fanart the artist can put in emotions that fanfiction can't. i mean the look in their eyes, the feelings they have in fanfiction the writer has to find ways to describe this through words but in fanart they can just simple draw what they see in their mind.

Yes, true, but that's the beauty of writing! Finding ways to paint an image in the reader's head, using voice and one's tone to express themselves and take a reader into not only the story, but your thoughts and feelings! Also, with writing, so many things and actions can be interpreted and thought-provoking. In my opinion a piece of writing can move me more than fanart (although I am moved by art as well). Then again, the same can be said about fanart, and how it's left for interpretation as well (sometimes, but maybe I'm over thinking things -_-).

Okay, this was seriously a hard question. D: Anyways, since I went a bit off topic, let's just leave it a both can represent them pretty darn well. ;)

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Geez, I haven't posted here in forever! Anyway, it's nice to be back :)

Wow, now that's a tough question. I think I'd have to go with fan art in this case, though. I usually don't like reading AdvanceShipping fan fiction since some of the stories out there can be really long and I can never finish reading them. AdvanceShipping fan art on the other hand, is something I can look at and appreciate almost instantly. They say that a painting is worth a thousand words so I think fan art is a better representative of AdvanceShipping. That's just how I feel though, so don't take it personally if you're an avid fan fiction reader :]

Midnightmoon6o2

"Tougher than you."
Yes, true, but that's the beauty of writing! Finding ways to paint an image in the reader's head, using voice and one's tone to express themselves and take a reader into not only the story, but your thoughts and feelings! Also, with writing, so many things and actions can be interpreted and thought-provoking. In my opinion a piece of writing can move me more than fanart (although I am moved by art as well). Then again, the same can be said about fanart, and how it's left for interpretation as well (sometimes, but maybe I'm over thinking things -_-).

Yes but most people like fanart than writing because most people hate reading. its only does dedicated fans that go to fanfiction. I have a dA account and i post fanfiction and fanart of advanceshipping there. I wrote a one-shot and i only two people comment on it and little views while with my fanart it was more than that.

There are a lot of people today who have a hard time reading English since it is a hard language to master. but with fanart you don't really have to understand English to get the message of the drawing the artist has created.

But hey, we all got different point of view about this. i just wanted to say that. hehe.

The 4th Kira, i don't remember you much. i guess i wasn't on here when you were. lol.

Lord Zant

Two jobs. ugh
No lie, when I saw your name, I was worried you were a contestshipper, Breeder Drew.

Grats on getting Black Version, Hot Limit! (If any of y'all want a Timid nature Zorua I have a few I don't need and am willing to trade for whatever you want to give me.)

4th KIRA, welcome back. I don't remember you either. Sorry. I'm glad you've rejoined the discussion though!

Not really a fair question - that's like comparing apples to oranges (or Leppa Berries to Oran Berries, for those berry-savvy people out there) because they're designed to do different things.

Fanfiction is supposed to show how characters change and events unfold in fairly good detail, while fanart captures only one moment, but in stunning clarity.*

To dig a little deeper, they have other pros and cons. Fanart has the age old adage "A picture is worth a thousand words" going for it, while fanfiction puts you inside the characters' heads in ways art can only hint at with expression, posture, etc.

* the exception: fanart comics fuse art with a little bit of story as well. ftw.

Astral Arrow

What made ME become an AdvanceShipper?

Because Ash and May go so well together. They have a stormy relationship at times, but it is a generally caring one that I think would benefit if it blossomed into full-blown romance. I certainly think it's a lot better than some of the other ships out there and I support this one with every fiber of my being.

Wuster

Amour/ADV shipper!
Hey guys, haven't posted here in a while.. Just came in to say a quick hello, and elaborate on the weighing topic of discussion.

Which do you think is a better representation of Advanceshipping?

In my opinion, these two, very articulate projects come from two different worlds, yet are connected in various ways. Firstly, a writer tries to describe a scene, conveying the emotions/hardships of the characters, and tries to create a mental scene, almost as if watching the Anime in your head. It is also many scenes, as the author will try to paint those scenes in your mind, trying to put together a "episode"

Fan Art on the other hand, is basically a one-shot in words. The downside of this, is that it can only represent one scene, or capture one moment if you will. However, "A picture is worth 1000 words.", and as such, the meaning of a picture probably goes well beyond what we see.

All in all, I'm pretty neutral on this subject, if not leaning slightly towards FanFiction.

Hot Limit

Yes but most people like fanart than writing because most people hate reading. its only does dedicated fans that go to fanfiction. I have a dA account and i post fanfiction and fanart of advanceshipping there. I wrote a one-shot and i only two people comment on it and little views while with my fanart it was more than that.

There are a lot of people today who have a hard time reading English since it is a hard language to master. but with fanart you don't really have to understand English to get the message of the drawing the artist has created.

But hey, we all got different point of view about this. i just wanted to say that. hehe.

The 4th Kira, i don't remember you much. i guess i wasn't on here when you were. lol.
Yes, but I wasn't referring to that, because I agree with you on that. I was referring to your statement on how artist can put emotions where authors can't, since I feel writing can paint a picture in the readers head. I wasn't talking about what others liked, I was just talking about what writing can do in general.

Grats on getting Black Version, Hot Limit! (If any of y'all want a Timid nature Zorua I have a few I don't need and am willing to trade for whatever you want to give me.)

Not really a fair question - that's like comparing apples to oranges (or Leppa Berries to Oran Berries, for those berry-savvy people out there) because they're designed to do different things.

Fanfiction is supposed to show how characters change and events unfold in fairly good detail, while fanart captures only one moment, but in stunning clarity.*

To dig a little deeper, they have other pros and cons. Fanart has the age old adage "A picture is worth a thousand words" going for it, while fanfiction puts you inside the characters' heads in ways art can only hint at with expression, posture, etc.

* the exception: fanart comics fuse art with a little bit of story as well. ftw.

Yes, thank you (but it's mostly the reason I have replied so late-can't stop playing)! Anywho, I'm the biggest noob when it comes to things like trading, so I'm not entirely sure how to start that process.

And you have said what my mind has been twisting and interpretting for a while now! I agree with you on your points. :D

Midnightmoon6o2

"Tougher than you."
Yes, but I wasn't referring to that, because I agree with you on that. I was referring to your statement on how artist can put emotions where authors can't, since I feel writing can paint a picture in the readers head. I wasn't talking about what others liked, I was just talking about what writing can do in general.

Oh i see, now. that makes sense.

Now time to feature more AS fanfics. shall we start?

Midnight's Top Five Reads for April
"…I feel like he gives me my strength."

True Feelings Will Overcome = Timana

Ash Ketchum is in Sinnoh. May Maple is in Hoenn. They haven't seen each other in nearly two years. But Ash is determined to get to Petalburg City. Why? Simple. A promise.

Its a okay fic, the detail is alright its just i believe this author needs to pace himself down and work on describing battles and dialogue better. its not the best reads I've read but if you like adventure AS fics than this fic will work for you well. its got 75 reviews thus far so it isn't that bad.

Roses and Marigolds
= Aestivate

Throughout her life, Haruka has been at held at bay by the roses. But she's starting to find that she likes the marigolds more

This is a beautiful one-shot. in most one-shots i've read that include my fav PKMN love triangle (AshxMayxDrew) its not all about May seeing Drew cheating on her and goes to Ash and blah blah blah. but in this one-shot its Drew that breaks up with her in what a say, a anime adaptation way. you have to read it to truly understand it. this is one oneshot that is worth reading, it really is.

Prelude to Paradise = Besanii-Chan

Oftentimes we say goodbye to the person we love without wanting to. But that doesn't mean that we've stopped loving them or we've stopped caring. Sometimes goodbye is a painful way to say I love you.

Another classix AS fic about May and Ash talking over viaphone saying that they will meet each other in Sinnoh. a side track story that the Wallace Cup never happened kind of thing. but the best part isn't that. you see May goes missing and then Ash and Drew have to travel with each other to find her. it a first which i love. kinda cute right? hehe. a nice read totally.

Darn Those Persistent Knockers = KrystalClear101

All I wanted to do was disappear. To crawl into a deep abyss of sadness and self-pity. To stay there forever. It seemed possible, right? But…there was one problem. He wouldn't let me.

The description might be confusing but after reading this super cute one-shot you will be able to say it matches the story completely. what i love about this one-shot is that no body talks and the description does it instead. its beautifully written despite the shortness of it.

Forgiveness XAOTL Omega

Title says it all.

One of my favourite AS writers is XAOTL Omega and every fic he/she writes is a must read. i love it to pieces. this one-shot is so sad it will make you cry. the emotions he/she puts is amazing and the polt is beautiful, even though the ending will put you in tears. so if you want to read a tearjerker. than this one-shot is it.

Last edited:

swampert55

My apologies for not posting in the past week.

I'd like to dispute that point. While artists can integrate emotions into their work, writers are able to expand upon such emotions and depict the ways in which they change. Fan art has more visual impact and universal appeal, but the nature of writing is such that it can be far more accurate in portraying characters.

Roses and Marigolds
= Aestivate

Throughout her life, Haruka has been at held at bay by the roses. But she's starting to find that she likes the marigolds more

This is a beautiful one-shot. in most one-shots i've read that include my fav PKMN love triangle (AshxMayxDrew) its not all about May seeing Drew cheating on her and goes to Ash and blah blah blah. but in this one-shot its Drew that breaks up with her in what a say, a anime adaptation way. you have to read it to truly understand it. this is one oneshot that is worth reading, it really is.

All I wanted to do was disappear. To crawl into a deep abyss of sadness and self-pity. To stay there forever. It seemed possible, right? But…there was one problem. He wouldn't let me.

The description might be confusing but after reading this super cute one-shot you will be able to say it matches the story completely. what i love about this one-shot is that no body talks and the description does it instead. its beautifully written despite the shortness of it.

These two are both excellent pieces that are well worth reading. Anyway, all five of your recommendations seem rather... downcast. Is there a reason why?

Hot Limit

True Feelings Will Overcome = Timana

Ash Ketchum is in Sinnoh. May Maple is in Hoenn. They haven't seen each other in nearly two years. But Ash is determined to get to Petalburg City. Why? Simple. A promise.

Its a okay fic, the detail is alright its just i believe this author needs to pace himself down and work on describing battles and dialogue better. its not the best reads I've read but if you like adventure AS fics than this fic will work for you well. its got 75 reviews thus far so it isn't that bad.

Roses and Marigolds
= Aestivate

Prelude to Paradise = Besanii-Chan

Oftentimes we say goodbye to the person we love without wanting to. But that doesn't mean that we've stopped loving them or we've stopped caring. Sometimes goodbye is a painful way to say I love you.

Another classix AS fic about May and Ash talking over viaphone saying that they will meet each other in Sinnoh. a side track story that the Wallace Cup never happened kind of thing. but the best part isn't that. you see May goes missing and then Ash and Drew have to travel with each other to find her. it a first which i love. kinda cute right? hehe. a nice read totally.

Forgiveness XAOTL Omega

Title says it all.

One of my favourite AS writers is XAOTL Omega and every fic he/she writes is a must read. i love it to pieces. this one-shot is so sad it will make you cry. the emotions he/she puts is amazing and the polt is beautiful, even though the ending will put you in tears. so if you want to read a tearjerker. than this one-shot is it.
Well, I've read all but the first two. I'm going to have to read those sometime then.

My apologies for not posting in the past week.

I'd like to dispute that point. While artists can integrate emotions into their work, writers are able to expand upon such emotions and depict the ways in which they change. Fan art has more visual impact and universal appeal, but the nature of writing is such that it can be far more accurate in portraying characters.

These two are both excellent pieces that are well worth reading. Anyway, all five of your recommendations seem rather... downcast. Is there a reason why?

I don't think I've been explaining myself accurately enough, since everyone seems to misunderstand what I've been saying, or what I've been trying to say (because I certainly agree with your statement). Author's can input a great sense of imagery in their writing, making one feel the mood and tone of their piece. I agreed with Midnight on the fact that maybe others might like to look at visuals than reading.

Midnightmoon6o2

"Tougher than you."

Downcast? as in these fics are not up to your standard as good fics or as in they have sad based themes around them? im confuse. o.o

Status
Not open for further replies.