• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Advanceshipping General Discussion: Where Ash and May ADVANCE together ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Zant

Two jobs. ugh
Another fabulous list, Midnight! I needed to read some good Advanceshipping.

I'd like to dispute that point. While artists can integrate emotions into their work, writers are able to expand upon such emotions and depict the ways in which they change. Fan art has more visual impact and universal appeal, but the nature of writing is such that it can be far more accurate in portraying characters.

I agree mostly, especially with the bolded line. Artists can show intense emotion, sometimes in ways writers can't (humans are very visual creatures) but a writer has no competition when it comes to chronicling how feelings and relationships change over time.

For example, no paragraph, book or series of books can describe this picture:
[IMG200]http://www.supershareware.com/images/screenshot/Majestic_Waterfalls_Screensaver-43470.jpg[/IMG200]
In a way that will create the same sense of awe.

Likewise, a picture can never show the passage of time or the true feelings of the human heart. It's stuck in a moment, and it can't get out of it. It's forced to always take an outside look at a single slice of time, and writing has no such constraints.

So it depends what you're looking for: the instant gratification of fanart, or the eventual benefit of writing. Both have their times.

Wuster

Amour/ADV shipper!
Nice list Midnight! Forgivness was very touching, and I highly recommend everyone reads it. Also, I got a topic-

What is your wishlist for R/S/E remakes? What is your perfect ending if May returns to the Anime?

swampert55

Downcast? as in these fics are not up to your standard as good fics or as in they have sad based themes around them? im confuse. o.o

No, I did not intend for my statement to be taken like that. I've read the latter four, and they were certainly up to standard; my meaning was that none of them are very light-hearted fanfics. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

Midnightmoon6o2

"Tougher than you."
No, I did not intend for my statement to be taken like that. I've read the latter four, and they were certainly up to standard; my meaning was that none of them are very light-hearted fanfics. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

Oh i see, maybe next month i might find some happy fics. actually i decided fill your request. this one-shot was originally meant to be in my March list BUT it went missing because i didn't add to my fav list so i had to find it during school.

Here we are = S. Muffin

The missing piece from her life had returned to her at long last; the other half to her ribbon and the other half to her heart.

Short but absolutely CUTE. this one-shot is short but it will bring a smile onto your faces. this one-shot reminds me back in my early days of advanceshipping where the one-shot back then were so all happy-based. if you want a happy and 100% cute one-shot to read this is the one. its a old one but really good.

To add to my response to that, i guess the reason why there haven't really been many happy based fics/one-shots is because May really hasn't made a cameo since the middle of '08. but sometimes the sad one-shot/fics are the the most powerful and most remembered fics because the way the emotions and the description is exposed to the reader.

What is your wishlist for R/S/E remakes? What is your perfect ending if May returns to the Anime?

For the games, i want better graphics and the contests to be more fun to play and gym rematches to be frequent. perfect end would be she ends up with Ash and Drew is never heard of again is just a good closer as well and good convincing advanceshipping hints. we need more of them now.

Oh i nearly forgot to share this with you guys. its my recent advanceshipping artwork. hope you like it. =D

[IMGsize=700]http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l464/battlefreak602/GiftArtraple_0001.jpg[/IMGsize]

Artist: Slivermoon602 (Me)

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
What is your perfect ending if May returns to the Anime?

My version of a perfect ending would involve May and Ash getting married, but that probably won't happen. I guess my second version of a perfect ending would just involve Ash and May meeting up with each other again. It seems like forever since Ash and May were together so seeing them bond one last time would make everything perfect in my mind. I'd want a nice scene with Ash and May at the beach just talking about their journeys as the sun sets. You know, the usual romantic setting. I've actually been picturing a moment exactly like this since May returned to the anime for the Wallace Cup, but the writers weren't as cooperative as I had hoped :p

Lord Zant

Two jobs. ugh
Anywho, I'm the biggest noob when it comes to things like trading, so I'm not entirely sure how to start that process.

I can teach you if you want. ;)

Great job on the fanart, Midnight! I swear you get better every time!

:p Ash and May have children (YES RIGHT AWAY), I guess? And their son starts with the child of their Bulba/Venusaurs.

swampert55

Oh i see, maybe next month i might find some happy fics. actually i decided fill your request. this one-shot was originally meant to be in my March list BUT it went missing because i didn't add to my fav list so i had to find it during school.

Here we are = S. Muffin

The missing piece from her life had returned to her at long last; the other half to her ribbon and the other half to her heart.

Short but absolutely CUTE. this one-shot is short but it will bring a smile onto your faces. this one-shot reminds me back in my early days of advanceshipping where the one-shot back then were so all happy-based. if you want a happy and 100% cute one-shot to read this is the one. its a old one but really good.

To add to my response to that, i guess the reason why there haven't really been many happy based fics/one-shots is because May really hasn't made a cameo since the middle of '08. but sometimes the sad one-shot/fics are the the most powerful and most remembered fics because the way the emotions and the description is exposed to the reader.

Fanfiction.net search engine is able to sort again... and I was disappointed to see so few AS fanfics updated in the past month. I've been reading Chinese fanfics on Baidu forum Advanceshipping forum (http://tieba.baidu.com/f?kw=%D6%C7%D2%A3 if it's of any help to anyone) in the meantime; a few of them are quite good and updated often (although installments are very short). I've read the story you linked to before as well.

^I would not want them to have children right away as that would prevent both of them from travelling. I would rather see the two of them travel as a pair to the next destination, hopefully with dynamics like those of AG001/2. After a few more seasons, it would be reasonable for them to get married, etc.

Lord Zant

Two jobs. ugh
^I would not want them to have children right away as that would prevent both of them from travelling. I would rather see the two of them travel as a pair to the next destination, hopefully with dynamics like those of AG001/2. After a few more seasons, it would be reasonable for them to get married, etc.

Haha yes, this is what I meant. CAPS LOCK was my "I-just-got-back-from-work-and-I'm-tired" was of implying sarcasm. My bad, my bad.

I'd like to see them travel, but I'd also like to see them travel alone. Watching them getting along (and sometimes struggling to do so) would be interesting and full of win, I believe.

Fanfiction.net search engine is able to sort again... and I was disappointed to see so few AS fanfics updated in the past month.

Ah, finally.

And I'll start writing a new fic I've been concocting if somebody will start doing my homework. Equivalent Exchange! :p

Midnightmoon6o2

"Tougher than you."
Fanfiction.net search engine is able to sort again... and I was disappointed to see so few AS fanfics updated in the past month. I've been reading Chinese fanfics on Baidu forum Advanceshipping forum (http://tieba.baidu.com/f?kw=%D6%C7%D2%A3 if it's of any help to anyone) in the meantime; a few of them are quite good and updated often (although installments are very short). I've read the story you linked to before as well..

Yeah, i noticed that as well. it makes me sad to see such little fanfics of advanceshipping lately. but i found a good one lately. i might put him on my list for next month.

FF.net is back working again. yay! i can start to uplode my chapters more daily now that school's out for two weeks. =D

And I'll start writing a new fic I've been concocting if somebody will start doing my homework. Equivalent Exchange! :p

I have English holiday HW to finish. so i have to pass. hehe.

Lorde

:p Ash and May have children (YES RIGHT AWAY), I guess? And their son starts with the child of their Bulba/Venusaurs.

Oh, that's an interesting idea. I seriously never put much thought into them becoming parents. Wow, that's such a cute thing to picture, too. They could have two kids: one with brown hair and one with black hair. Heck, they could have tons of kids, but it would be cute if some had traits of Ash while others had traits of May. And it wouldn't even have to be gender-specific either; I'd love for them to have a daughter who would act like Ash and focus on Gym battles and a son who would act like May and focus on Contests. Seeing their first child start off his/her adventure with a Bulbasaur would be so adorable as well. Gosh, I'd love to read a fan fic about Ash and May starting a family :]

Hot Limit

I can teach you if you want. ;)

Great job on the fanart, Midnight! I swear you get better every time!

That would be awesome! xD Thank you!

Yeah, i noticed that as well. it makes me sad to see such little fanfics of advanceshipping lately. but i found a good one lately. i might put him on my list for next month.

FF.net is back working again. yay! i can start to uplode my chapters more daily now that school's out for two weeks. =D

I have English holiday HW to finish. so i have to pass. hehe.

I've been having a big case of writer's block for a lot of my stories, but I agree with you on the trifling amount of advanceshipping fics. I think you should tell us now since I've been really wanting to read more advanceshipping fics (plus if it goes on the list, that's going to be in 20 days), but that's just me since I'm really impatient most of the time.

May's return? If she does return, I don't want to expect too much, but I'll just say a nice advanceshipping hint (especially if it's during his travels and she comes to visit). Both of them traveling together would be nice as well though.

swampert55

Haha yes, this is what I meant. CAPS LOCK was my "I-just-got-back-from-work-and-I'm-tired" was of implying sarcasm. My bad, my bad.

I'd like to see them travel, but I'd also like to see them travel alone. Watching them getting along (and sometimes struggling to do so) would be interesting and full of win, I believe.

Ah, finally.

Progress on my current fic has stalled due to external issues that are not easily resolved or put aside. Sorry.

Oh, that's an interesting idea. I seriously never put much thought into them becoming parents. Wow, that's such a cute thing to picture, too. They could have two kids: one with brown hair and one with black hair. Heck, they could have tons of kids, but it would be cute if some had traits of Ash while others had traits of May. And it wouldn't even have to be gender-specific either; I'd love for them to have a daughter who would act like Ash and focus on Gym battles and a son who would act like May and focus on Contests. Seeing their first child start off his/her adventure with a Bulbasaur would be so adorable as well. Gosh, I'd love to read a fan fic about Ash and May starting a family :]

One child with black hair and one with brown hair? I feel as though that's been used in every such fanfic in existence. I don't mind, though, it seems rather natural to me. The idea of Bulbasaur as their starters - that's something I haven't heard before and that I like.

I've been having a big case of writer's block for a lot of my stories, but I agree with you on the trifling amount of advanceshipping fics. I think you should tell us now since I've been really wanting to read more advanceshipping fics (plus if it goes on the list, that's going to be in 20 days), but that's just me since I'm really impatient most of the time.

This situation is essentially unavoidable, considering that the fan base of Advanceshipping, like those of other older major ships, has matured and reached a plateau. Only dedicated supporters of the ship (the frequent contributors in this thread such as you and I) remain active. Our total output volume can only reach a certain level, and I think we've reached the point after which the rate at which new fanfiction is posted will remain essentially constant. Until May returns, it would be unreasonable to believe otherwise, unfortunately.

Midnightmoon6o2

"Tougher than you."

Lol, you don't know how many fanfictions i've read with that theme. family, two kids, one black hair, one brown, one trainer, one coordinator and both having a blubasaur starter. not saying its a bad idea its just its been used more than once. like i've have done in "A Strangers Mystery" lol.

Gazmof

Zephyr Trainer
The problem with "Ash and X Girl have kids" fics, in my opinion, is they rarely take the time to flesh out the little details - there are so many new features and characters that have been added - so many details about the couple itself that get lost in translation because the writer either focuses too much on the kids and their respective journeys, or there simply isn't enough emphasis on the family life at home that doesn't translate into a shippy fic - it just becomes a journey fic with original characters who have parents we already know, love, and wish desperately would become an item.

I typically write fics with long, epic storylines, but I have frequently toyed with the idea of writing a "slice-of-life" fic about Ash and May's future married life together. I think it would be absolutely wonderful to hear about the little details that would make their relationship so strong and powerful in their later years after having completed their dreams of becoming the greatest Pokemon Master/Coordinator there ever was.

Having said that, although the concept itself of a fic about Ash and May's kids isn't completely foreign to me, I honestly haven't seen many examples of it (I see a lot more Ash x Misty fics with this kind of premise). I think my personal problem with this kind of fic is just that they have so much promise that ultimately it's a huge, uphill struggle for the author to capitalize on it, and nine times out of ten the story suffers because it can never bring itself to live up to the potential it truly has.

Gaiash

Champion Scientist
I think that the married with children concept works best in fanart. I like seeing how fans design these children and an older version of the couple. In fact I might draw a new picture with that concept soon.

Midnightmoon6o2

"Tougher than you."
I think that the married with children concept works best in fanart. I like seeing how fans design these children and an older version of the couple. In fact I might draw a new picture with that concept soon.

Yeah i believe Ash and May plus kids concept work better in fanart because the audience gets a better understanding of what the artist sees their kid as.

Oh yeah more AS fanart from muah!

[imgsize=700]http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/1637/advphoto.jpg[/IMGsize]

[imgsize=700]http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/689/copyofgiftzeaeevee.jpg[/imgsize]

Kailangan Kita means I need you in Filipino. =)

(c) Art = Slivermoon602 (Me)

Edit: I decided to add this as well. a new topic. =) Lets not bash the next ship in the topic k?

Do you think Contestshipping actually helped Advanceshipping to grow?

Its confusing right? how do i explain this? Well remember in the early episodes of AG whenever Drew would pick on May and Ash would always protect May and back her up which led to a battle? remember? Ash lost though and May went to see Drew to apologize to her or Ash, i can't remember. Or that time where May watch Drew walk away from the beach from her and Ash shoved a Ice cream right in front of her, to ruin the moment. haha, i like that, it was funny and cute. And there was one in the BF saga where Drew yelled at May because he was envious of her contest moves and May wanted to talk to him but Ash requested that he would do it for her. yes, that did happen guys.

Well to answer the topic, i do believe Contestshipping did help Advanceshiping to grow in some aspects. even some of us here won't accept that we all know that CS did help AS grow, in one way or the other. Even the hints of CS are more bolder and straight to the point than AS hints which are more scattered and loose, there were some CS hints that led to AS hints. As much i want to list them all down, i can't remeber much from AG. hehe.

Last edited:

Lorde

Lol, you don't know how many fanfictions i've read with that theme. family, two kids, one black hair, one brown, one trainer, one coordinator and both having a blubasaur starter. not saying its a bad idea its just its been used more than once. like i've have done in "A Strangers Mystery" lol.

I haven't seen too many AdvanceShipping fanfics lately to be honest. I still really like the idea of Ash and May getting married and starting a family, though. But anyway, as for ContestShipping: I think it helped AdvanceShipping a little bit. I'll admit that I followed ContestShipping for a while, but I started becoming more interested in AdvanceShipping, so I sort of left the former. I think that some of the moments with Drew taunting May worked really well since Ash would often get involved. I don't remember there being any real confrontations, but I know that Ash wouldn't have liked having some guy poking fun at May. Even if he didn't have romantic feelings for May, he would have still been upset that his friend was being pushed by some random dude.

Gazmof

Zephyr Trainer

Like I mentioned over at the Bulbagarden forums, I used to think of this 'ship as nothing more than a distraction from Advanceshipping, but having looked at the topic more closely I realized that there were a lot of points in the anime that May and Drew's relationship helped push Ash in the right direction and gave us some dramatic tension. It didn't happen nearly as frequently as I would have liked, and I also would have preferred a rematch between Ash and Drew after Roselia beat Taillow pretty handily early on in the Hoenn season (and Ash just forgot about it, when he never forgets about a loss to a recurring trainer).

There were other times when Ash seemed oblivious to the real situation going on in Contestshipping though, like that time Drew was yelling at his Absol and Ash's personality did a complete 180 and basically said to Drew "it's okay, I get frustrated with my Pokemon too sometimes so don't worry about it." But that was during the Battle Frontier, which marked the beginning of the end for the anime, in my opinion, although I'm sure lots of people would disagree with me on that.

Overall I think Contestshipping has helped give us hints rather than hinder them, though. I would've liked Ash to have been more annoyed when he saw her holding a rose or something, but it's better to have a 'ship with a rivalry than a 'ship that's definitely gonna happen, because that rivalry helps add drama and makes every hint that extra bit sweeter.

Hot Limit

I've never really thought about it that way. Although AS could stand on it's own, yes, CS did help it grow sometimes, especially in Crusin' for a Losin' where Drew kind of caused her to get on edge about batteling with Bulbasaur that we even got that cute moment of Ash cheering May up on the bench. So yes, I can definitely see how it has helped Advanceshipping. :)

Although I don't recall when Drew got envious of May's contest moves and so Ash talked to him. What episode was that?

By the way, those fanarts are great midnightjewelz!

Midnightmoon6o2

"Tougher than you."

I've never really thought about it that way. Although AS could stand on it's own, yes, CS did help it grow sometimes, especially in Crusin' for a Losin' where Drew kind of caused her to get on edge about batteling with Bulbasaur that we even got that cute moment of Ash cheering May up on the bench. So yes, I can definitely see how it has helped Advanceshipping. :)

Although I don't recall when Drew got envious of May's contest moves and so Ash talked to him. What episode was that?

By the way, those fanarts are great midnightjewelz!

Its near the end of the BF season. its a really nice episode. =) i think if you go to the CS blubapedia list of hints, it should be there.

Oh yeah, some easter fanart from me.

[IMGsize=700]http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l464/battlefreak602/AdvEaster11.jpg[/IMGsize]

Artist(c) Slivermoon602 (Me)

Status
Not open for further replies.