• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Advanceshipping General Discussion: Where Ash and May ADVANCE together ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
There are these kind of rules here? Wow, its so different compared to bulbagarden...

People don't like to see one-liners in topics. It portrays the posters as being very incompetent that they can't think posts through and provide at least two lines of merit. D:

Do you think the picture of Ash and May almost kissing is real? And if you do, what would the fans say (Every shipper out there)?

I used to think that it was real, and I laughed at the thought of it, because I thought it fake in the first place. I found out it was fake, and I laughed even harder. I rolled when I heard that people believed that a Christmas episode with this pic existed, and that it was pulled in fear of other shippers' retaliation.

It was a very lulzy experience for me.

What role do you think Ash has played in May's growth as both a trainer and a person?

He's played a significant role in her growth - after all, he was her first traveling partner, and the one she sought the most advice with. I haven't seen much of AG, but from what I have seen, she had continuously turned to Ash for support when she felt down and had no answer to what was in front of her. And also, he taught her that raising Pokemon was fun and enjoyable.

And how do you think this has affected their relationship?

Ash has now established himself as one of May's "go-to" people whenever she has a dilemma. She can always turn to him for advice and expect to get some positive reinforcement back. And the same scenario happens in reverse too. It's what separates this ship from the others; there's little possibility that the engagement will result in bickering and teasing. They trust each other enough to be honest and mature with whatever advice they give.

Last edited:

buster_wolf

Shinnippori!
Do you think the picture of Ash and May almost kissing is real? And if you do, what would the fans say (Every shipper out their)?

I had already thought it was fake, but I do like the sentiments from it.

What role do you think Ash has played in May's growth as both a trainer and a person?

Obviously, it's kind of the whole tutor thing. Being more experienced in that field of expertise, he can spend time and give her his input while they develop a close relation. I think Ash's presence probably changed May for the better, as May would probably wouldn't have developed the same kind of relations she has with her pokemon and possibly, with other people if Ash wasn't around.

And how do you think this has effected their relationship?

I would say it has affected them in a good way. Few bickerings, and they tend to be quite friendly towards each other. Like Sonic Boom says, Ash become that trustful person that May can consult with if she ever has an issue, no matter how serious or lighthearted it can be.

BlazeFusion76

I r Optical Illusion
Do you think the picture of Ash and May almost kissing is real? And if you do, what would the fans say (Every shipper out their)?
It's fake. I looked for the episode for weeks. It dosen't exist.

Last edited:

Gazmof

Zephyr Trainer
Here's a new topic for some thought.

What, if anything, would you change about Advanceshipping (aside from making it canon)?

I'd change the goodbye we got at the end of the Kanto Battle Frontier. Advanceshippers really deserved more from that; Pokeshippers got the big scene at the end of Johto, but we just got Max whining. Sure, we got the ribbon, but still, it would have been nice to see Ash and May have their own little private moment in front of the sunset as the boat was leaving, even if it was just to wish each other well in their respective journeys.

Gaiash

Champion Scientist
What, if anything, would you change about Advanceshipping (aside from making it canon)?
More moments with Ash and May alone together. The group did split up a few times but Ash was usually with either Max or Brock when that happened. While this did make the moments they did spend together more special looking back I would have liked some more.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Do you think the picture of Ash and May almost kissing is real? And if you do, what would the fans say (Every shipper out there)?

I thought it was real, I mean, why not? It's an avatar here, and I didn't think Serebii posted fanart. But apparently it isn't real? That's news to me, I'm sad now, it's so kawaii ;_;

Chaos_Umbreon

Advanceshipper!

Well one thing that would have been nice is more alone time between Ash and May without Max or Brock interrupting (especially Max as he's May's little brother and would probably try and interrupt, was he put in to limit the shipping moments, I wonder?), it happened a few times (Forbidden Forest and the Donphan Island) but not nearly enough even if it was just walking away from camp together for 5 minutes. Another thing is the consistency of the shipping, I mean between Ash's 5th Gym battle in Hoenn and Fortree City there was quite a few shippy episodes and then they would suddenly have a contest where Drew is there and any Advanceshipping hints are forgotten and it turns into Contestshipping (were the writers having a spaz attack and suddenly switched shippings for one episode). Then it also would have been nice if they made it more consistent in Kanto as well, they had stronger hints but much less frequent than Hoenn. Finally the leaving scene in Hoenn was especially pathetic and the Kanto one was a bit better but still not good (I think Drew got a better last episode where he talked to May, Damn him!), however, the Sinnoh departure was much better but it could have been improved, it was nice how the Kanto and Sinnoh departures were at sunset. The only possible improvement would be a hug.

That is all.

See Ya!

Chaos Out!

Gazmof

Zephyr Trainer
Have Ash and May be longer together, as a group before reaching Petalburg.
Could have spent ca. 5 episodes together before getting their.
That's a really excellent point, and I often wonder what could have been if they had been alone for longer. Those first few episodes where they were alone were some of my favourite episodes in the entire AG series.

Hello, PokeShipping got a big ending when Misty left, why couldn't Advanceshipping get the same?
Exactly! It's like they just ran out of time, or assumed it wasn't really that important. But what was important was to have a random battle with Gary.

sjshark23

I'd probably give Ash and May more time alone together, since they were usually accompanied by Max and/or Brock (with the possible exception of AG073 or AG114). I'd also give them a more heartfelt parting moment, since the one in AG192 was just too...quiet. After all, if PokeShipping gets a heart-rending farewell, shouldn't AdvanceShipping get the same, if not better?

Lorde

The simple stuff really. More hints, more time together, a good departure episode.

I thought there were a few romantic moments but not enough to make me say "oh yeah, that's it, they definitely love each other".

A battle as a departure episode was cool but not enough to satisfy me ;_;

Ash.mx

Wow the thread isn't dead xD
And welcome back Gazmof , good to see a familiar face around here xD

I think we all agree on the departure scene, even if not Advanceshipping, it should've been better. They are friends who have been traveling for a long time by then, to just say as if nothing is happening: "hey, see you in 3 years or so , bye"... and that's how it was, the AG ending felt really rushed (because they needed to introduce the brand new region as quickly as possible...) or maybe Pokeshippers got that big ending, cause they knew Misty is never coming back to the main cast (no offense to pokeshippers, I like Misty), and May could, so they didn't need a big departure scene for her... yeah, I know It's unlikely to happen, but there's always hope ...

I'd added a hint.

I know others shippings got "direct" hints , like the overused hint of having a 3rd person making a comment about them being in love, followed by the natural reaction of blushing, even if it's not true, so they use this only hint they got to state their shipping is canon, thing that's not true because, I mean, how many girls have fallen for Ash so far (including blushing and all)... are all those shippings canon now then? Nope, they just forget about it as the show continue.

Now that I have already said that, I must admit I would liked that type of hints for us. Sure we got that hint in "The bickering the better", but I know some other shippers don't take it as a strong hint, because they didn't blush, but I think that it was because they were really mad at each other at that time; I bet that if other person had commented about it again and in another circunstance , they would. So yeah, I'd added some random people, or even Brock or Max, who would comment about them being a couple.

With Advanceshipping , although it has good hints, they are more like "subtle" hints, not as direct as others, but hints at least (it seems the writers wanted to send us subliminal messages, where the truth is not showed at first glance xD), and for me those hints have a much deeper meaning than an occasional blush. (Ex: the Luvdiscs and the Ribbon) That's what I wouldn't change about Advanceshipping.

Ok, fanart time!

Happy new year 2010!

A bit late I know,I couldn't posted it before xD

Last edited:

Lorde

Ok, fanart time!

Happy new year 2010!

A bit late I know,I couldn't posted it before xD

That's so pretty! It looks almost realistic to me. I've always wanted something like this in the anime (May and Ash embracing sweetly), but we haven't gotten that yet. Maybe one day.

Better late than never right? :3

Last edited:

Lorde

What would your reactions be, if Dawn wasn't the main character in Sinnoh and May was taken to Sinnoh instead? What would you expect in Sinnoh?

Well, May and Ash would have more time together that's for sure.

Well I suppose May would be a little over confident seeing as she did pretty well in the Grand Festivals. Maybe that would go to her head and she'd lose repeatedly. Ash would probably have a talk with her and she's get over it and start out fresh. I see it as a bonding oppurtunity.

Gaiash

Champion Scientist
What would your reactions be, if Dawn wasn't the main character in Sinnoh and May was taken to Sinnoh instead? What would you expect in Sinnoh?
Well I imagine her Blaziken would have stayed a Combusken for a little while longer to avoid her team appearing too much stronger than Ash's. I also imagine many of Dawn's storylines would have worked exactly the same with May instead. As for her Pokemon it's safe to say she'd catch most of the same Pokemon as Dawn. Considering May and Zoey's interaction I think it would have been interesting if May had Dawn's rivals too.

Anyway on to what we're all interested in, Ash and May's interaction. It would drastically increase, especially if Max wasn't around since Ash and Dawn don't interact with Brock as much. Finally, High Touch would have been the best intro ever if it was a duet sung by Ash and May.

RobSp1derp1g

On my way...
My brothers, for the last few months, I have steered away from the ways of Advanceshipping. and now I return.

Well, I think the answer to this one would be the same for every advanceshipper out there, lots of hints!

Chaos_Umbreon

Advanceshipper!

If May was still the co-star in Sinnoh, then I would probably make sure that I watch all the episodes as soon as possible (rather than lose interest). My main reaction probably would be relief that Contestshipping would be much less likely and that I won't have to put up with Harley the cross dresser.

I would expect much more moments between Ash and May as Max won't be around to interrupt, also they will have some alone time before Brock turns up. They would probably grow closer over time but not rapidly, and May probably would have done something similar to Ash by leaving some of her Pokemon with Professor Oak (probably still have Eevee at least). Dawn would probably be travelling on her own and be May's rival along with Zoey, Kenny and Nando. There would probably gradually increase the hints throughout to a point as it is a kids' show. The only thing that I would miss is the Wallace Cup scenes as there would be no need for them as they are still travelling together, and it would make the ribbon slightly less significant as May wouldn't call it her good luck charm. So it has it's pros and cons, as currently the quote in my signature can be applied to Advanceshipping.

I have recently noticed on fanfiction.net there are a load of Advanceshipping fics with the theme of Ash returning after disappearing for 4 years at the end of the Sinnoh League, and them meeting up. So here is a new topic based on this:

What would May's reaction be if she was reunited with Ash after a 4 year 'exile' after the Sinnoh League, and how would this effect their relationship?

In my opinion May would be ecstatic that Ash has returned but angry with him for not contacting her in 4 years, although May would not hate him one bit. When they meet May would probably walk up to Ash and slap him, then pull him into a hug. During the time apart they would probably realise how much the other meant to them and their relationship would then grow exponentially, to the point of them admitting there feelings quite soon after his return but not as soon as they meet.

Great fanart Ash.mx! Very Wintery.

See Ya!

Chaos Out!

Last edited:

Eon Master

Born from the Flames

My main reaction probably would relief that Contestshipping would be much less likely and that I won't have to put up with Harley the cross dresser.

Amen to this.

Anyway, I think their relationship would become such where rather than May drawing on Ash's experience, they learned to depend on each other. The thing is, Max would have come along (and you know it), so that would have been a bit disruptive to their relationship, having a fourth person in the group drops the "alone time" moments dramatically.

What would May's reaction be if she was reunited with Ash after a 4 year 'exile' after the Sinnoh League, and how would this effect their relationship?

Awesome topic, Chaos. I think that her reaction would be to tackle him, scaring the living crap out of him in the process, then she would proceed to turn the tackle into a hug. That's how their relationship usually is, they love to poke fun at each other like that. She'd also probably demand that they start traveling together again, and of course Ash would accept. The lack of contact would have dropped May's spirits as well, and I imagine that her Contest record would reflect that. Uplifting emotional scenes, anyone?

Last edited:

Lorde

May would definitely be upset that she had to wait 4 years to see Ash again (who wouldn't)?

She's probably yell at him and say something like "Ash Ketchum! Why haven't you called me or communicated with me at all throughout these past 4 years!? Did I mean anything to you?....

Then I can see Ash getting offended by the question and answering with something like "Wha!? What are ya talking about May? Of course I like you. And I missed you more than you know..."

sjshark23

Obviously, I'd be thrilled, since that would probably mean a lot more hints (within reason, since it is still a kids' show). As for what to expect, I think May would more than likely start to discover a slightly different style of coordinating as she matured. She would probably provide a steady, calming influence for Ash, especially when he gets riled up about Paul's comments or some other occurrence.

Suave Squirtle

It depends on if Ash asks her to join or the opposite. I could imagine her blushing a little if he asked and saying "yes" to his question so fast that he jumps back in suprise. (Not from the answer, but because he wasn't expecting it that fast)

If it was May doing the asking, I think that she'd give an "excuse" for why she wanted to join him (since she'd probably deny that she like likes him (at the moment) due to the anime writer's style.) and then say something sweet.

Just out of curiosity, why four years? I doubt that it'd take THAT long to get through Sinnoh and Johto (possibly) (I'd think that Ash probably spends one year per region)

Status
Not open for further replies.