• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Advanceshipping General Discussion: Where Ash and May ADVANCE together ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaos_Umbreon

Advanceshipper!
It doesn't have to be 4 years, but if he is 15 at the end of Sinnoh, then he would be 19 when they meet up. Also the meeting is purely accidental because they haven't talked in 4 years as exile refers to the fact that he is on his own with no contact. Him being in exile can range from training in solitude after a crushing defeat to the death of a loved one for example his mom, going into exile is normally due to a strong emotional stimulus. One scenario is that May doesn't recognise him instantly and stumbles across him later on and discovers his identity, shock would be one of her reactions to this.

Is this better explaned.

See Ya!

Chaos Out!

Gazmof

Zephyr Trainer
Wow the thread isn't dead xD
And welcome back Gazmof , good to see a familiar face around here xD
Thanks; I wouldn't just up and leave without warning, y'know :D

Great fanart, by the way, Ash.mx. I love the winter-feel of it, too. Kind of reminds me of that one scene in Tales of Symphonia. I always wanted something like that to happen in the anime...

What would your reactions be, if Dawn wasn't the main character in Sinnoh and May was taken to Sinnoh instead? What would you expect in Sinnoh?

I always figured May would leave the show once Sinnoh came around, because she was a very "Hoenn-focused" character. Of course, ideally I would have loved May to stay with Ash and for the show to "mature" with its audience, but the new generation targeted a new generation of kids with it, so naturally it got dumbed down quite a bit after the evolution it went through during the past three generations.

But hey, that's why we have fanfics, right? To try and solve the problems the writers threw at us. Truth be told, expecting canonity in a relationship in Pokemon is kind of like setting yourself up for a big fall... It's really unlikely anything will ever come of it, and if it does it'll probably just be briefly mentioned in passing for like 2 seconds in an epilogue episode or something. Here's what I would have loved to see in a perfect Advanceshipping world (short of them getting married and all that), ignoring the demands of the target child audience and the fact that it's a 30-minute game commercial:

May would travel with Ash to Sinnoh alone; Brock stays back in Pewter City and Max goes home to Petalburg. This would give Ash and May alone time and would help to develop their relationship and strengthen their personalites because they would have to overcome their shortcomings (for example, one of them would have to learn to cook, have more survival skills, etc; previously the writers just said "they have Brock" and that was that, so they would both have to mature a little if he wasn't present).

May would go on the contest circuit, of course (as already pointed out earlier in this thread, there's no reason why she should be excluded from Sinnoh if contests are still about and play just as important - in fact, some would say more important - role in the DP anime).

I would have liked to see May get a new rival, preferably a female because it's more interesting than the "ooh a guy" cliche that Drew had. This isn't because I don't want to see Contestshipping happen, but simply because I think it would help May grow more as a person by making her face new enemies and new challenges, rather than just recycling the old content and giving it a fresh coat of paint.

If the new female rival of May's flirted with Ash, I think we could have been in for a treat. May would have been incredibly jealous, and of course Ash would be clueless as always, prompting some cute, flirtatious arguments between our two heroes. They could have even had a whole episode (or maybe a double episode) where May refuses to talk to Ash for a little while because he doesn't understand why she's so mad at him for not rebuffing the rival. This would be a very typical May reaction, in my opinion. Of course at the end of the episode Ash realises his mistake and explains he has no interest in the rival girl, but then in a comedic moment says he doesn't have time for things like girls, prompting May to groan.

More screentime to Ash and May supporting each other or training together would have been great. There were so many times during Hoenn that I wanted Ash to hold May and tell her it'll be okay after she lost a contest, but he never did (if I remember right, aside from Date Expectations, which was a slightly different scenario anyway). The majority of time during AG their relationship was very passive and would flow through other characters as well, meaning a lot of potential development they could have had was often spoiled or diluted by the presence of their team members. This is why I loved the 9th movie so much - they had lots of alone time and though they didn't blatantly say things to each other, you could tell that there was a lot of chemistry and a lot of caring for each other during the scenes where they were alone together.

So basically, if I had been the writer of Sinnoh, and could've done whatever I wanted, I wouldn't have made Advanceshipping canon; but I would have definitely advanced it and left the subject clearly open - at the conclusion of Sinnoh there would be multiple loose ends to tie up: May's feelings for Drew and her feelings for Ash being the prime example here. I would have focused on dishing out lots of hints, lots of relationship/character development, and lots of opportunities for blushing/supporting/comforting.

What would May's reaction be if she was reunited with Ash after a 4 year 'exile' after the Sinnoh League, and how would this effect their relationship?

I agree with pretty much everything everyone else said - May would definitely mad, probably would ignore him for a day or slap him, then forgive him and just be pleased he was okay. Maybe she'd even cry on his chest when he first appears and tell him what a jerk he was for not saying anything, depending on how emotional the reunion is.

Ugh... I need to get back to Good Love Charm. My Advanceshipping desire has gone up significantly from this one post.

Great topics, by the way, you guys; they really get you thinking ^^

buster_wolf

Shinnippori!
What would your reactions be, if Dawn wasn't the main character in Sinnoh and May was taken to Sinnoh instead? What would you expect in Sinnoh?

Well, it wouldn't make sense for Dawn to not be the main character since she's part of the Sinnoh region, but that's why we got the "What Ifs" hanging around.

I would think that Ash, May, and the third wheel Brock would travel together while Max would prepare himself for a pokemon journey later on. I think May would pretty mucn function in a similar manner like Dawn, but much more experience this time around like Ash would be when he battles gym leader from a fresh slate.

Of course, May should get a rival, and I think Dawn could always develop a friendly rivalry between the two, but I'm not all opposed to a new female rival for May either. Seeing how Dawn would get friendly with Ash, maybe to an extent, May would actually feel jealous if it keeps going on like that.

But yes, I would think a lot of quality time between May and Ash would be guaranteed had May stayed as a main character since we need our protagonists to stick together.

In any case, I did do a remake of one picture I did long ago.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/thefinalfrontier/asfamily.jpg

Hopefully, you guys can enjoy. And it's good to see you retain the AS spirit again Gaz.

Gaiash

Champion Scientist
What would May's reaction be if she was reunited with Ash after a 4 year 'exile' after the Sinnoh League, and how would this effect their relationship?
This is pretty much the plot to my fanfic Shiny Reunion except that other events besides Sinnoh would have happened before that gap. With that in mind I guess what I should think is how many of the themes I included would be present and which wouldn't.

The question mainly addresses what May's reaction would be however I think her reaction and Ash's would be similar. I imagine they'd both feel very nostalgic seeing each other again and would both love to travel together again. Naturally a lot of this new journey would include catching up on what they've been doing over the 4 years they hadn't seen each other.

May would probably have to get used to traveling in a group again since as much as I'd love for them to travel alone together someone else (most likely Brock, a new character or both) would tag along. If that was the case I'd hope it was the Hoenn group reunited, perhaps as a tie-in to a Ruby/Sapphire remake (unlikely as that would be).

Gazmof

Zephyr Trainer
Of course, May should get a rival, and I think Dawn could always develop a friendly rivalry between the two, but I'm not all opposed to a new female rival for May either. Seeing how Dawn would get friendly with Ash, maybe to an extent, May would actually feel jealous if it keeps going on like that.
You know, I never really thought about that - I was just thinking of a brand new rival, a more flirtatious one to give us some more jealousy, but Dawn could definitely work, though her flirting with Ash would be much more subtle. I think they would definitely be friendly rivals (I really can't imagine May and Dawn being angry at each other, but there could be some interesting "teasing" moments every so often).

Hm... Just imagine...

*Ash dragged out to shopping by May, when suddenly Dawn appears*

Dawn: Oh, hi Ash and May! Oh, Ash, I have to show you this one thing I saw in this store that reminded me of you and your Pikachu! *grabs Ash's hand*

May: What? No, Ash and I were just about to eat lunch together, RIGHT, ASH? *pulls on Ash's other hand*

Ah, the possibilities were endless...

In any case, I did do a remake of one picture I did long ago.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/thefinalfrontier/asfamily.jpg
I always loved the original of that, and this remake does it justice. I'm sure May would make an awesome mother; she seems to have that motherly sense about her, as illustrated by scenes with her and Max quite a lot during Hoenn (though I think less so in the BF). What did you name their kids, again?

buster_wolf

Shinnippori!
Yeah! That's the kind of idea I was thinking about. You know, subtle flirting and pretty harmless stuff though it can bother May at the very least. Still, it's not a bad idea for an all new character to step in and make May come to some realization to her feelings for Ash. But somehow, Ash will remain pretty dense in most cases for the time being whenever these advances are pushed towards him. Oh you lovable fool you Ash.

And indeed, I think May would make a great mother like you said she would. She definitely looks the part too, I just hope she brushed up on her cooking skills until then. To answer the names, Edge is the little boy and Milia is the girl. I kind of decided to change Edge's look because it didn't resemble his daddy much, but now I may have second thoughts. But hey, he's a child, so he may appear different as he gets older anyway. Milia didn't get much change besides an updated appearance.

HErOKetChuMz

Hi I'm new here.May I come in please?

I don't know what should I say but Maybe they will have some adventure again I guess.

crisiscore

ZAP CANNON

May may be overly elated and excited upon meeting up with Ash again. Hopefully it'd be an emotional reunion between the two seeing that it was a 4 year separation. Also, over the 4 years, it gave the two trainers plenty of time to grow up and mature so hopefully they notice and see each other differently, but in a good, affectionate way. I can see Ash and May traveling together again, doing the usual stuff such as gyms and contests, but also I can see them being more involved with each other, noticing more about the other persons attributes that appeal to them. I can also see them teasing and having awkward/funny moments with each other during the course of their journey. After the long time off, I can see Ash and May picking things up quickly and becoming real close again.

Oh! and welcome to the tread Heroketchumz!

I was just re-watching some advance episodes *getting my advanceshipping mojo back in gear and it really worked!* and I also noticed a few things about Ash and May's relationship.

Mostly revolving around similarities in characters they've encountered "mostly ones who've had some sort of love theme about them*

~~~~~~~~~~~
*We all know of Andi and Oscar from "The Bicker the better" who've shown off a ton of Ash and May's similarities that pointed out that they could be a legitimate couple.

*The couple who've shown love for one another in a contest battle and divided their ribbon to show each others love only to have Ash and May do the same in "Home is where the start is".

*A symbolic take with their bulbasaurs showing multiple times a great connection of bond and student/mentor relationship as what Ash and May has also shown.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The series has shown major: lets just call them "semi-hints" within the show and using side characters to show them off, here's some examples i've noticed.

*In "Love, Petalburg style!" I've noticed major similarities in May's parents relationship that Ash and May also posses.

*Norman seems to be a guy who sees pokemon and pokemon battles as his main priority, being the best and doing whats right for his pokemon. Much like Ash.

*They both seem to be oblivious to the big picture and of course love when it comes down to it. For example, Norman had no idea what his wife was talking about when she said she was leaving or anything that had to do with "Love" situations.

*In the end they both know they need to do whats right *Norman did know about their anniversary and still did something special. Usually Ash does the same thing but in different ways.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

May also has major similarities to her mother Caroline's relationship with her dad as she does with Ash.

*They both get aggravated when a guy doesn't get that someone is in love or something similar.

*When something overly romantic is taking place they both spazz by the cuteness.

Max also plays an important part that shows similarities.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Ash and Norman are both very fatherly to him.
*Ash and Norman are both major influences and heroes in Max's eyes.
*May is just as motherly to Max as his mother herself. So sometimes in Max's eyes, Ash and May have taken the part of his parents while they were traveling.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Besides noticing that, I just thought that the donphan from "Date expectations" were a very important and symbolic pokemon for advanceshipping as I always seen the donphan represent Ash and May. The grey/black donphan, the weak go getter, who shows his power when he fights for whats right. (Ash) And the Shiny Brown donphan was very oblivious herself but still kept rooting on for the underdog and ends up noticing his power. (May) Plus, i thought Ash has black hair and Donphan was grey and black and May has brown hair and the shiny version of Donphan was brown lol

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Maybe I'm over thinking this shipping and really want more hints but maybe I'm not the only one who sees some kind of connection or "semi-hints" shown in characters they encountered that might help support advanceshipping even more. Am I crazy?

So here's a question:

What side characters have shown signs/events/similarities of supporting Advancshipping?

I've told you what I thought of mine but let me hear yours :3

Lets keep this thread alive!

Gaiash

Champion Scientist
What side characters have shown signs/events/similarities of supporting Advanceshipping?
Well I definitely agree with what you said about Norman and Caroline being how Ash and May would be like as a married couple. In fact I imagine when they were 10 they must have been just like Ash and May.

I have to say you've pretty much covered everything.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
What side characters have shown signs/events/similarities of supporting Advanceshipping?

I have one example, Flint and Lola, Brocks parents. Flint seems like Ash, awkward around females and always being bossed around. Lola is like May in this case, carefree and spicy (lol) :)

I can see Ash being bossed around by May if they were together, but he'd enjoy it. It would bring them closer, instead of pushing them apart. May has fashion sense, Ash has battle sense, just like Lola and Flint.

This is the only example I can think of, there aren't many other couples.

Yeah Gaiash! Thats exactly what I was thinking when I was re-watching the episodes. They even look similar in some ways. Its uncanny, I wish they'd show more flashbacks of them as 10 year olds. I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees them as an adult mirror of the two. :3

The 4th KIRA: Wow, I never thought of them in that way! I gotta rewatch the episodes now but I can totally see similarities. Thanks for both of your opinions. I hope we get more. It doesn't have to be just side people characters but even side pokemon like the donphan and the luvdisks from the 9th movie. ^-^

Honest Eyes

Sayōnara...
Wow is this thread dead?
Anyway, I'm Honest Eyes and I'm an AdvanceShipper! So I was wondering if i can join?

Anyway for the topic I think those two from Mean With Envy! Erica wanted to split the ribbon with her boyfriend to show their love. Later on in the series Ash & May tied and split the ribbon. I think it maybe foreshadowing a future relationship or something.

Chaos_Umbreon

Advanceshipper!
Wow, it's quiet around here.

I agree with most of what's been said, but I don't think that Flint and Lola are a good mirror, I see Norman and Caroline's relationship as a better mirror. Due to the fact that in most long and successful marriages a bond of trust is needed between the two otherwise it will most likely fall apart, Ash and May's relationship is similar as it is founded on trust between the two, as is shown constantly between the two especially when they are in a dangerous situation, often when May needed saving like when she was hanging on that cliff in the valley of steel she had to place all her trust in Ash to get her to safety. Ash has also shown his trust in May in the 9th movie when he tells her to look after the egg when Phantom was attacking, so Ash and May have a strong base to which a long lasting relationship can take hold, unlike short term crushes due solely to a person's looks, and hence they can often mirror long established couples and married couples like Oscar and Andi, and Norman and Caroline.

I didn't notice that the Donphan couple in 'Date Expectations' had a similar colour scheme to Ash and May, that episode is still one of my favourites.

See Ya!

Chaos Out!

Last edited:

Xcaliber680

Pokemon Tactician
Wow, it's quiet around here.

I agree with most of what's been said, but I don't think that Flint and Lola are a good mirror, I see Norman and Caroline's relationship as a better mirror. Due to the fact that in most long and successful marriages a bond of trust is needed between the two otherwise it will most likely fall apart, Ash and May's relationship is similar as it is founded on trust between the two, as is shown constantly between the two especially when they are in a dangerous situation, often when May needed saving like when she was hanging on that cliff in the valley of steel she had to place all her trust in Ash to get her to safety. Ash has also shown his trust in May in the 9th movie when he tells her to look after the egg when Phantom was attacking, so Ash and May have a strong base to which a long lasting relationship can take hold, unlike short term crushes due solely to a person's looks, and hence the can often mirror long established couples and married couples like Oscar and Andi, and Norman and Caroline.

I didn't notice that the Donphan couple in 'Date Expectations' had a similar colour scheme to Ash and May, that episode is still one of my favourites.

See Ya!

Chaos Out!

Ya, the Donphan couple has a similar color scheme, noticed that the second time I watched the episode. In general, all of the married couples in the series support Advanceshipping in some way, because each interaction provides another dimensional insight into Ash and May's ever growing [complex] relationship. Chaos basically summed up the ideas behind Oscar and Andi, and Norman and Caroline, and you could add the two coordinators at the beginning of the series when May sees a contest for the first time (sadly, their names are escaping me at the moment) because they simulate the close friendship Ash and May had at the time. As time moves forward, Ash and May meet other couples, far more intimate in their relationships, such as Norman and Caroline, and then Oscar and Andi. I think this progression of LONG TERM relationships, which is not present in other shippings, helps support Advanceshipping.

Gazmof

Zephyr Trainer
Welcome, new Advanceshippers! ^^ Please feel free to continue to discuss your love of Advanceshipping, the true shipper's spirit!

Hm, this is a really good (and also really tough) question. To be honest there are very few times I've noticed side characters, much less those who support Advanceshipping (at least overtly). I would have to practically rewatch the entirety of Hoenn to give you specifics, so I'm just going to go with the safe answer and say "anyone who says Pokemon that love their trainers usually indicate that their trainers will also fall in love." I forget anyone who said that aside from Brock, and, if my memory serves correctly, they did mention something like that regarding the two Bulbasaurs at one stage in late Hoenn, but I can't remember an exact timeframe or episode.

RobSp1derp1g

On my way...

I don't really remember any characters that show any similarities

BTW, new AdvanceShipping forum. Check my sig for the link.

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
Yeah, that's what the internet needs, another forum dedicated solely to Advanceshipping - stuff like this only reinforces my belief that the Advanceshippers are the ones with a superiority complex.. Whatever happened to the one JBStormburst started? >_>

Other Ships
Because AdvanceShipping is not alone, unfortunately.

lmao.

The closest I can think of are Joshua and Erika (lulz, the name of one of my former crushes), if only because of the Half-ribbon scenario that foreshadowed a future moment of friendship between Ash and May. It's one of, if not the, only forms of concrete parallels that was established. Of course, Erika's personality is lol compared to May's, as is Joshua's to Ash's, sort of, so it's not a direct link, but the point of the ribbon scene is there.

There are probably other connections there, but that's the only one I can think of at the moment, lol

RobSp1derp1g

On my way...
Yeah, that's what the internet needs, another forum dedicated solely to Advanceshipping - stuff like this only reinforces my belief that the Advanceshippers are the ones with a superiority complex.. Whatever happened to the one JBStormburst started? >_>

Other Ships
Because AdvanceShipping is not alone, unfortunately.
lmao.
True, but that one sprang into my mind at the moment.
And JB's forum was dying, so we made a new one.

Dark_Dreamz

Whispers in the dark
Would you still support Advanceshipping, even if May or Ash got together with somebody else?

Depends on who they'll end up with. If May ended up with Drew, and Ash ended up with Misty, I would tear my hair out and abandon all hope. Really, i've dedicated months of my AdvanceShipper life, trying to prove why Contest and Poke wouldn't happen.

Though, if they ended up with different people. (May-Paul/Forrest Franklin/Harley/Gary etc. Ash-Anabel/Angie/Dawn etc) I would continue supporting AdvanceShipping, and just hope that the writers would see their mistake =|

Status
Not open for further replies.