• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Advanceshipping General Discussion: Where Ash and May ADVANCE together ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiyonder

Overlord
To be clear on the Max question, of course I don't mean that he will randomly decide to pair them up. I just meant that should he have a reason to, he might feel the need to do something to help them out (like telling Ash some particular likes that May has).

Before I give my three cents on the bold question, I have to wonder why most Advanceshipping writers don't include Norman & Caroline in the stories for the most part. I mean Pokeshiping fics will show how Misty's sisters take to Ash as their sister's girlfriend, just as Pearlshipping fics will show Johanna's reaction to Ash and Dawn.

What do you think Delia's impression of May as a potential daughter-in-law is?

I don't see any reason for her to object, and well it would likely reassure her to know that someone will look over Ash. She might even find it cute to see their similiar appetites.

Conversely, what do you think Norman and Caroline's impressions of Ash as a son-in-law would be? Would they approve of Ash and May as an item?

Caroline's contestshipping feeling would likely fade if she saw more of Ash and May's interaction. Going with the couple comparisons from an earlier portion of the thread, she and Norman would probably see a bit of themselves in them and would definitely support them.

sjshark23

Alright, guess I'd better answer a few of these questions...
What AdvanceShipping dreams/daydreams have you had.
Not really, to be honest. I guess the closest I've come was something about them running into one another in Johto and finding love there, but it's not too realistic.

Will you absolutely stay an AdvanceShipper in the 5th gen if the new female trainer joins the crew, or will whoever it is affect your stance on the subject?

Definitely. I can't see any reason not to, even if a new girl joins up with the gang (plus, Ash has to be, what, fifteen now?)

What do you think Delia's impression of May as a potential daughter-in-law is? Conversely, what do you think Norman and Caroline's impressions of Ash as a son-in-law would be? Would they approve of Ash and May as an item?
Having only seen snippets of Delia's interactions with May, I can't really comment, but I'm leaning towards a positive. However, I think Norman and Caroline approve of the way Ash looked out for May and Max during the Advance Generation, so I suppose they would approve.

And in response to the Max question: I think Max would approve of Ash going out with his sister, not so much that he's thrilled about it but that he'd have more opportunity to give May a hard time.

Alright, that's it, I guess. SJShark23 going on station.

Gazmof

Zephyr Trainer
Wow, everyone's coming back after the announcement of Black and White. This is great news ^^ Hopefully we'll get more discussion going on here now.

Before I give my three cents on the bold question, I have to wonder why most Advanceshipping writers don't include Norman & Caroline in the stories for the most part. I mean Pokeshiping fics will show how Misty's sisters take to Ash as their sister's girlfriend, just as Pearlshipping fics will show Johanna's reaction to Ash and Dawn.
Well, I can't really comment on the Pearlshipping fics since I've never read any (they're a very rare breed on these forums, at least), but as for Misty's sisters, I think that's because writers tend to prefer sibling interactions rather than parental ones. Maybe it's because most shipping authors tend to be kids so they're not really confident with the dynamics of a parent's thought process, or perhaps it's just because parents tend to get "in the way" of the writing process when it comes to hooking two characters up, so their interactions with Ash or May tend to get shoved to the sidelines in an epilogue of some sort after the relationship has already been forged.

My Advanceshipping fic takes place in Sinnoh, so Norman, Caroline, and Delia aren't anywhere nearby to "meddle", so to speak. I did have them appear in a couple of one-shots I wrote, but their role was primarily as being in the background. I did have May help Delia with the cooking, though, and Norman and Ash talked about Norman's Gym. I guess writing the parents' input on the relationship is either out of scope for a one-shot, or in a chapter-fic it isn't really relevant unless Ash and May are talking about marriage or something like that - most chapter-fics don't delve that far into the relationship (although I sometimes wish they would).

Antiyonder

Overlord
My Advanceshipping fic takes place in Sinnoh, so Norman, Caroline, and Delia aren't anywhere nearby to "meddle", so to speak.

Delia actually does make a good number of appearances in pertaining to shipper fics. Regardless, they don't necessarily have to appear in person, but through the occasional phone call. Though given that they have occasionally traveled outside their region, I'd think that for Delia and Caroline, having them show up for

I guess writing the parents' input on the relationship is either out of scope for a one-shot, or in a chapter-fic it isn't really relevant unless Ash and May are talking about marriage or something like that - most chapter-fics don't delve that far into the relationship (although I sometimes wish they would).

Same here. For one, it adds to the warm fuzzy feelings and because they can certainly provide somecontribute to the awkward embarassing moments.

Incidently, could you tell me which oneshots you wrote in particular?

Gazmof

Zephyr Trainer
Well, yeah, I guess they could call on the phone, but it would be kind of disruptive to the story unless it served some critical plotpoint or it was simply a "slice-of-life" fic, in my opinion.

Though given that they have occasionally traveled outside their region, I'd think that for Delia and Caroline, having them show up for
Uh, did you mean to leave this sentence like this? ^^; I'm interested in what you were trying to say.

Incidently, could you tell me which oneshots you wrote in particular?
Sure! They're right here:

Completing a Wish (Advanceshipping)
Pumpkins and Spice (Masumishipping)

I've noticed that a lot of people are already supporting the idea of Ash and the Fifth Gen Girl getting together. I think the people who still support Advanceshipping even so long after May's last appearance are really dedicated to their love of the couple.

Speaking of the fifth generation, since it is now on the horizon, what do you all think will happen in the anime during the transition period from Diamond/Pearl to Black/White? My bet is Ash'll head back to Kanto and all of his old friends will make appearances. Do you think we'll get to see the ribbon again?

Last edited:

Antiyonder

Overlord
Uh, did you mean to leave this sentence like this? ^^; I'm interested in what you were trying to say.

Meant to finish it up by saying "show up for the story or a bit of it".

I've noticed that a lot of people are already supporting the idea of Ash and the Fifth Gen Girl getting together. I think the people who still support Advanceshipping even so long after May's last appearance are really dedicated to their love of the couple.

I'll admit I'm guilty of pearlshipping, but not because it's the current thing. I just enjoy the chemistry is all. But Advanceshipping is still something I enjoy.

Speaking of the fifth generation, since it is now on the horizon, what do you all think will happen in the anime during the transition period from Diamond/Pearl to Black/White? My bet is Ash'll head back to Kanto and all of his old friends will make appearances. Do you think we'll get to see the ribbon again?

Since we did get to see Misty's Lure on an episode of Diamond and Pearl, no reason we shouldn't get to see the ribbon.

The Horizon

The Forgotten One
The ribbon has been shown in Diamond and Pearl before. Not only did they show it, they brought back May for a couple episodes. Almost all of us here, if not everybody, were so excited to see her back, this thread was swarming with posts. It was a nostalgic feeling. I know you'll be reading this, Gaz, you were there when it happened. You can enlighten us.

Just you wait. As soon as they show the new girl, there will be a new shipping thread up in this forum. If there is already one right now, it will be revised as more details are revealed and what not. I still support Advanceshipping and Pearlshipping, but only once have I ever contributed to the new Pearlshipping thread. Why? I don't know. I guess it's just not the same.

What will happen after Diamond and Pearl? Here's how I imagine it. Ash and Brock says good-bye to Dawn. (good riddance. teehee.) Ash and Brock went back to Kanto. Brock says bye and goes to Pewter City. (this must be some sort of formula.) Ash comes to Pallet Town, again. Ash goes to his house, goes in and finds out no one is home. Mom is possibly out shopping. Even Mimie is out. Oh well, there is at least Prof. Oak's Lab to visit, why the hell not? Ash goes to front door, opens it, and what he sees shocks him to oblivion. (dundundun) It's May!!!

Yes, I know, it's wishful thinking. This what happens when you're a shipper.

Last edited:

Midnightmoon6o2

"Tougher than you."
Hunter, welcome back. i wonder, so you still remember me? i also got back here recently.

Will you absolutely stay an Advanceshipper in the 5th gen if the new female trainer joins the crew, or will whoever it is affect your stance on the subject?

Yup, ive stayed a Pokeshipper and Advanceshipper since DP came out, i don't think when the 5 gen will change any of that.

Chaos_Umbreon

Advanceshipper!
On the topic of including Ash and May's parents in a fic there are a few around;

On serebii there is Lunarshadow's fic 'The Aura is With Me', in which the last 2 chapters have been May talking to Caroline on the phone about what has happend and why she is distraught. Another one was Earthborn's fic, in which it was brought up 'off screen' and might be brought up later.

On fanfiction there are a few, some aren't to well written but the is one called 'The More Things Change' by XyKPfan which is about them sorting out their lives before they get married and involves a lot of interaction between them both and Norman and Caroline.

As for when the end of D/P happens it is always the same the female companion leaves first and then Brock before Ash goes to Pallet Town. Then his mom throws a party and Ash's near by friends get invited. There is a good chance that May will turn up as Jhoto border's Kanto and if the Jhoto GF happens at the place the silver conference took place then that is in East Jhoto and Pallet town is in West Kanto so it isn't too far away. However, it is quite certain that Misty will show up but hopefully as a friend and no more.

I would like to see Ash look at and hold onto the ribbon during the Sinnoh league as a good luck charm, so shippy.

See Ya!

Chaos Out!

Oceanus119

ɢσттα ɢσ вιɢ тιмє! ❤
Will you absolutely stay an Advanceshipper in the 5th gen if the new female trainer joins the crew, or will whoever it is affect your stance on the subject?

Hmm, I don't think so.
I've stayed a hardcore Advanceshipper all through DP.
I don't really think if a new girl comes along, it would change my love for Advanceshipping.
But hey, that's just me for you.

Hi there, it's been almost two years since I last logged on. Man it's been a while.

There were times in D/P that I really slipped away from Advanceshipping and supported Pearlshipping, but most recently, I've realized that no matter what, I feel that Ash and May belong with each other, no matter what happens. I can't guarantee that I won't fall away again, but hopefully I won't.

I don't think it would matter which girl it is to be honest. Delia would be very happy no matter which girl it is. And May certainly left a pretty good impression when they met in person.

Conversely, what do you think Norman and Caroline's impressions of Ash as a son-in-law would be? Would they approve of Ash and May as an item?

They would totally approve of that, and why wouldn't they? They've gotten to know Ash very well during his time in Hoenn. I love the idea of Norman being Ash's father-in-law. That just seems so fitting to me for some reason.

As for what happens in the transition period after D/P ends, I think Ash and May will definitely get in touch somehow to at least give an update on how she did at the Johto Grand Festival, hopefully May will show up at Pallet Town when Ash returns. Misty will most likely show up, as she did after Ash came back from Hoenn. She hasn't had a cameo in an episode debut in almost 5 years now.

Here's another unbolded question that I'm worried about(and perhaps not very related to the shipping). What would happen to May if contests get written out of the show?
It seems that based on the preliminary information on the Sinnoh Grand Festival episodes that Dawn will at the very least make it to the finals against Zoey, and there is some speculation that if the writers give Dawn the win, contests will get the boot(I also think this would involve May winning the Johto Grand Festival as well). Thoughts and comments?

Last edited:

Midnightmoon6o2

"Tougher than you."

I think she wouldn't mind May that much. i mean if May makes him happy then there wouldn't be much of a promblem.

Caroline is a little similar to Delia so my answer for Caroline is the same for Delia's and Norman? i think he would be a little mean and say stuff like don't hurt my daughter and make her happy and don't make her cry etc.

Eon Master

Born from the Flames

I think she'd love to have May as her daughter-in-law. They've met before, so it's not like she just pops up out of the blue. Delia also knows that May is a very caring person, and she'd be able to rest easy that Ash was with someone who would always be there for him when he needed it.

Caroline would probably react similarly to Delia. Norman? He'd be stern to Ash at first, but then he'd just tell him to relax and probably make a bad joke. Max would be the one to freak out, not Norman. Which brings me to the new topic:

How do you think Max would react if Ash and May were to be an item?

Personally, I think he'd completely lose it. Max doesn't like things to mess with his family or lifestyle, like when Ash beat Norman, Max stole the badge and hid in the greenhouse. Or when May decided to go to Jhoto, and the group went their seperate ways, Ash had to calm him down. Max thinks of Ash as an older brother and part of his family, so him dating May would throw his brain for a serious loop.

Last edited:

Antiyonder

Overlord

Personally, I think he'd completely lose it. Max doesn't like things to mess with his family or lifestyle, like when Ash beat Norman, Max stole the badge and hid in the greenhouse. Or when May decided to go to Jhoto, and the group went their seperate ways, Ash had to calm him down. Max thinks of Ash as an older brother and part of his family, so him dating May would throw his brain for a serious loop.

And that certainly is a good assessment on why he might object to Ash and May getting together in a romantic fashion. But several things would point to the contrary:

1. As you said, he sees Ash as an older brother. If anything, Ash and May's relationship would in a way make it more official.

2. According to Bulbapedia, one of Max's line in the Japanese Version of "Home is Where the Start is?" has him saying (When Ash is going to cheer him up) "Why is Onee-chan so happy? It's really fun when Satoshi and Onee-chan are together..." Seems like Max is an Advanceshipper to me if that is what he really said.

Midnightmoon6o2

"Tougher than you."
And that certainly is a good assessment on why he might object to Ash and May getting together in a romantic fashion. But several things would point to the contrary:

1. As you said, he sees Ash as an older brother. If anything, Ash and May's relationship would in a way make it more official.

2. According to Bulbapedia, one of Max's line in the Japanese Version of "Home is Where the Start is?" has him saying (When Ash is going to cheer him up) "Why is Onee-chan so happy? It's really fun when Satoshi and Onee-chan are together..." Seems like Max is an Advanceshipper to me if that is what he really said.

I agree with what Eon Master had said. thats a good way to write about Max's reaction is Ash and May became a couple.

And i remember when Max said "Why is Onee-chan so happy? It's really fun when Satoshi and Onee-chan are together..." it was so cute ans sweet. I was so sad when that episode was dubbed, that part was cut off. but at least we had a last minute hint though. ^^

Not much activity here... Oh well.

Does Delia even have a personality? Assuming said event should occur I suppose she would go over-protective mother but nothing more.

I had a vision. Ash and May became an "item"; However May was worried about her parent's reaction to the subject. This resulted In May and Ash creating a Romeo and Juliet story. Parents finding out. Secret relationship etc. Ending In a Norman giving his "blessings" to Ash and May as a couple. Accepting Ash.

Extremely Un-Pokemon like but still...

He would initially have a typical Max reaction/breakdown, Probe them, over-react etc.

How do you guys think May would react if she learned Dawn and Ash tied in a contest and split the ribbon the same way Ash split a ribbon with her? (I really hope this dosn't actually happen for real but it's a intresting what if)

Before I start, I'll just say that I really doubt something like that would happen. I just can't imagine the writers would even think about it, and if they do, then I would say they're running out of ideas.

Anyways, if it somehow happens, I think May would be about as shocked as Dawn was when she saw Ash and May pull out their halves of the Terracotta Ribbon. I would think she might feel a bit hurt deep down because the ribbon she split with Ash wouldn't seem as special anymore.

advance4ev

~Pure Awesomeness~
If dawn and ash split a ribbon?
I think it would be MESSED UP!!!! I would be screaming "why the heck would they do that!?"
I don't even see that happening to be honest, but it would be surprising if they did....
May would probably be upset, reguardless of whether she likes him or not (and being an advanceshipper, OF COURSE SHE DOES!!) since it won't be as special as it was to her. I could even definitely see her crying and-if they're at ashs house-deila could maybe even comfort her (and possibly give ash(or dawn :p) a slap but of course thad be mean)

Status
Not open for further replies.