• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Advanceshipping General Discussion: Where Ash and May ADVANCE together ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Zant

Two jobs. ugh
^ thanks, I know I had a good Easter. I hope y'all did too.

^ Great fanart bytheway. It's very happy-looking.

Do you think Contestshipping actually helped Advanceshipping to grow?

In the fandom or in the show?

In the fandom, I'd say no. In the show, I think it does, with the episode you've cited being a prime example.

Midnightmoon6o2

"Tougher than you."
Oops, i'm late. I blame school. lol. anyway here is my list of the top five reads for May.

Midnight's Top Five Reads for May​
She was everything. She was his everything.​

Drops of Jupiter = BbbStrwbrry

Drops of Jupiter By: Train May finally comes back to see Ash

Its a classic sweet advanceshipping songfic one-shot. a little confusion but very sweet and cute. =)

The Dare That Changed Everything. = starpokemon123

Read it I dont like to spoil people ;D

Funny. Well to me it is. it isn't the best fics i've recommended but its a nice read.

Almost Everything I Wish I'd Said = SarahStarlight217

One day he might be able to smile again, sleep again, breathe again, but like a shadow her death would always follow him.

So so sad that i cried, well i shed a few tears but still very sad. th start was so sad. it's been a long time since i've read a good tearjerker. this fic certainly is a good one. also a good factor with this one is that the one-shot doesn't end when one characters dies, it keeps on going after their death. Good read!

Opals, Shadows Vessels of the Legends = Eon Penumbra

I just stood there and watched as she was killed. The closest human friend I ever had, blown to pieces from a bomb. I could have saved her, could have stopped it, and life would have gone on as usual. Now, that will never happen

(There was no summary so i had to take a sentence from the story itself) Another classic advanceshipping story that i slightly remember being here on serebii. This story isn't just pure adventure but also enough mystery and depth in detail that makes you want to read on. Its a wonderful advanceshipping adventure fic.

The Politoed Princess = aipomlee

may goes to the swamp to find a talking politoed. what will she do if he asks her for a big favor

This story has cuteness written all over it. Its so cute from start to end. The writing is fine and i love Ash's and May's personality's develop as well. very cute read indeed.

Last edited:

Gazmof

Zephyr Trainer
Thanks for the list, Midnight. A lot of these fics I had never heard of, since I don't venture to fanfiction.net all that often. If I ever get more time I'll be sure to take a look at them!

RobSp1derp1g

On my way...
Hey, people.

I'm back.
My absence was necessary for personal reasons.

Now, as tradition tells, I must answer the current topic so that this post doesn't get deleted.

Quite a topic...

The fandom's a bit complicated, as a few of us experienced first-hand. But in the show, it's a different story altogether. We see little moments where Drew's interactions with May made her feel sad, leading up to the point where she cries. And Ash, being the caring, although naïve guy he is, helped cheered May and helped her get back on her feet.

In my current fandom, the story's totally different.

Breeder Drew

I guess I'll join the Advanceshipping group here.

I enjoy advanceshipping, because I've always really liked mentor-student relationships. They've intrigued me, but none have been as good as Advanceshipping. My favorite scene from any Pokemon movie, was definitly the scene from the Ranger movie with the Luvdisc in the water with Ash and May swimming around. :D That pretty much got me hooked on this. (That and the amazing fanart.)

swampert55

I keep delaying this post for no reason...

In the fan base, probably not. Perhaps the "rivalry" made opposing shippers support their own ship more fervently, that's all. With respect to the plot (as others have said), quite a few of Drew and May's interactions involved negative comments, while Ash was very supportive in general to set up the contrast. This made the plot more dynamic in a sense but really didn't contribute to any major developments in itself.

Can't disagree with that scene. One of the most obivous shipping hints out there, and also one of the best. Swimming in the water, surrounded with Luvdisc, May & Manaphy looking at Ash, and giggling. If only that could happen in real life....

If I had time I'd watch that movie again... Now that it's been brought up, I should. Perhaps it would even inspire me to write something.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Wow, I just rewatched the ninth Pokemon movie, and I loved it! I forgot how good it was for AdvanceShipping. All of those moments near the end of the movie, like where Ash decides to help May flee with Manaphy, are pretty deep. I really like that Ash put May's life before his own and had her leave the temple while he tried to fix things. I do admit that it was sort of random for him to take the burden on his own, but I loved that he had a connection with May in that movie, if only during some of the more intense scenes. I wonder why Ash wasn't jealous, though. That one Pokemon Ranger dude was there with May quite a bit, and I'd have been jealous. I guess we'll never know more about Ash's feelings during that movie :c

Ðãmon Howe

Stop posting DH.
Welp, been an advanceshipper for a while now...never bothered to post here.

Personally, and this may be off-topic from the current thread-trend, but I grew up with pokemon and technically am a year younger than Ash (when the series started and he was 10, I was 9). All through the first 5 seasons I didn't really think of "shippings" or "love in the poke-verse". Up until I happened to watch a Pokemon Advanced episode and saw May. That's when the pairing clicked for me, and it's stuck ever since. While Misty towards the end may have had serious implications of liking Ash, I don't think Ash would've seen anything until he hung out with a different girl (May) around that time boys start thinking of those things.

Kind of a, happened to me, makes sense it would've happened to him. lol

Anyways, that's about it. :)

Gazmof

Zephyr Trainer
While Misty towards the end may have had serious implications of liking Ash, I don't think Ash would've seen anything until he hung out with a different girl (May) around that time boys start thinking of those things.
Actually, I was the same way - I had no idea who May was when I first saw her because I had been out of the Pokemon anime loop throughout Johto (but still played the games heavily). There was just some weird invisible chemistry I could feel between them. I remember the first episode of Hoenn I saw was that one where the guy stuffed a bunch of Pokeballs in his Pelipper's mouth. It wasn't a shippy episode at all, but there was just something about them that piqued my curiosity. So I registered here and I guess I've been an "official" Advanceshipper ever since.

I actually thought after leaving the anime for the first time (end of Orange Islands) that Ash and Misty would become canon eventually. I had never liked the idea of them being together for multiple reasons, but with May and Ash it was a completely different feeling.

Welcome to the thread!

Ðãmon Howe

Stop posting DH.

Midnightmoon6o2

"Tougher than you."
Wow, I just rewatched the ninth Pokemon movie, and I loved it! I forgot how good it was for AdvanceShipping. All of those moments near the end of the movie, like where Ash decides to help May flee with Manaphy, are pretty deep. I really like that Ash put May's life before his own and had her leave the temple while he tried to fix things. I do admit that it was sort of random for him to take the burden on his own, but I loved that he had a connection with May in that movie, if only during some of the more intense scenes. I wonder why Ash wasn't jealous, though. That one Pokemon Ranger dude was there with May quite a bit, and I'd have been jealous. I guess we'll never know more about Ash's feelings during that movie :c

Well in the movie, i couldn't of asked any more AS hints that won't make the characters go OOC. i think whoever wrote the movie's storyline did a good job on the movie and how Ash and May interacted. the hints were perfect and i think they were enough to show that May and Ash do care for each other deeply are find each other important to them. While Ash placed May in a capsule in order to protect her life May was constantly praying for him to come back well. Also it was May's prayer that made Ash wake up when he semi-drowned. So really May gave him the reason to finish what he started. Its hard for me to support another ship and compare their hints. it just nothing so far (i believe) really has met up to Movie's nines expectation when it comes to romance and hints alone. Movie nine also even the field when it comes to hints. While others might get a few second hint, we got a 90 min movie filled with more than one hint. =)

Personally, and this may be off-topic from the current thread-trend, but I grew up with pokemon and technically am a year younger than Ash (when the series started and he was 10, I was 9). All through the first 5 seasons I didn't really think of "shippings" or "love in the poke-verse". Up until I happened to watch a Pokemon Advanced episode and saw May. That's when the pairing clicked for me, and it's stuck ever since. While Misty towards the end may have had serious implications of liking Ash, I don't think Ash would've seen anything until he hung out with a different girl (May) around that time boys start thinking of those things.

I actually liked Advance before i joined. i got back into pokemon around when i was 13 when i YT Ash and May and watched a few AMVs. Then later on, i loved it even more when May made a cameo in DP around June '08. since then i haven't gave up pokmon. Yes, a nice story isn't it. *coughyeahrightcough*

And welcome Damon. enjoy your stay! =)

Last edited:

Gazmof

Zephyr Trainer
A pretty funny thing, concerning the 9th movie. When I watch AMV's or just Pokemon clips (which is almost never), and this isn't Advanceshipping ones, I always get the feeling that the 9th movie isn't well liked by some fanbases. But who cares what they think? I love the 9th movie.

I really don't know how I got into Advanceshipping. Must have happened when I got back into Pokemon, and saw an AG episode. Really weird, right?
I'm actually not sure of the popularity of the Pokemon movies amongst the fanbase. It would definitely be interesting to find out. Obviously as an Advanceshipper I have an extreme preference for movie 9, but I also think it's one of the better movies Pokemon has had after movies 1 and 3.

I think all of the AG movies have their share of Advanceshipping in them, though:

Jirachi is the weakest, but I like to think May is wishing to stay with Ash or something, which is obviously pure speculation on my part, but that's part of the fun of shipping for me.

Deoxys, I think, is definitely the shippiest after Manaphy. The shippiness was very subtle, which is always my favorite kind, but it's just so satisfying to watch. It mostly takes part in the early half of the movie, where May prevents Ash from fighting and he immediately calms down (something no-one else had ever been able to make him do). I also love how she desperately wants him to win at the Battle Tower. In fact, that whole part where she's yelling at him in the stands was a very large inspiration to me for writing my Advanceshipping fic - I always wanted to see them more passionately cheering for each other during the main series.

Lucario is very light on shipping, but I loved how May was the one to jump into the river and pull Ash away during his fight with Lucario. That scene made the movie for me.

And, well, the Manaphy movie is classic - we all know that.

Maybe one day we'll get lucky and get to see May in a movie again.

One more thing - I never saw the Mirage Pokemon special. Was there anything that could be construed as Advanceshippy in it?

Gazmof

Zephyr Trainer
Yes, I don't believe there's anything canon to suggest that May was wishing for Ash, but it was always nice to think about the possibilities. There was one scene I remember where she makes a wish while watching Ash and Max, so one could argue that it was a possibility, but still the shippiness of the Jirachi movie was more fanon than canon.

I totally agree with you about the dance. I remember the first time I watched the movie I was willing Ash to get up and dance with her and then... Nothing. That old lady stopped him! Instead she just dances with some random guy and James ;.; What a tease!

swampert55

I found that more subtle scenes tended to show a connection between Ash and May as well, especially those small moments such as May sitting and holding Manaphy while Ash is the one to stand close to her and watch Manaphy over her shoulder as follows:

[IMG139]http://imgsrc.baidu.com/baike/abpic/item/58c3acb7f30b34ca30add14c.jpg[/IMG139]

"Being a mother is really tiring" (translated back from caption, not sure what the actual line is)

Kind of a, happened to me, makes sense it would've happened to him. lol

Anyways, that's about it. :)

Do you happen to be the same user who wrote a story called "Where Earth Meets Ocean" or something of the sort? (My apologies if I didn't remember correctly, but a cursory search turned up nothing relevant.) I remember that from a few years ago. It has been quite a while, hasn't it?

Lucario is very light on shipping, but I loved how May was the one to jump into the river and pull Ash away during his fight with Lucario. That scene made the movie for me.

And, well, the Manaphy movie is classic - we all know that.

Maybe one day we'll get lucky and get to see May in a movie again.

One more thing - I never saw the Mirage Pokemon special. Was there anything that could be construed as Advanceshippy in it?

What I connect immediately to the Lucario movie is its impact in inspiring a lot of fan art based on Ash and May dressed as the hero and princess respectively. In that respect it is very well remembered. I don't recall Advanceshipping in the Mirage special, though it has been a few years since I last watched it.

Gazmof

Zephyr Trainer
What I connect immediately to the Lucario movie is its impact in inspiring a lot of fan art based on Ash and May dressed as the hero and princess respectively.
Ah, yes, you're correct. We definitely got a flood of Advanceshippy fanart when that movie aired. Now that I think about it, I think we also got quite a bit of fanfiction depicting the two of them as the "destined descendents" of the hero and princess, as well.

Just like Waterpokes said, it would have been really nice to see the two of them dance. I can imagine Ash being very awkward at it but May would just take the lead and show him how it's done.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
What I connect immediately to the Lucario movie is its impact in inspiring a lot of fan art based on Ash and May dressed as the hero and princess respectively. In that respect it is very well remembered. I don't recall Advanceshipping in the Mirage special, though it has been a few years since I last watched it.

Oh God, I remember those scenes where Ash and May were wearing those clothes. I loved May's dress, and Ash's costume looked pretty cool too. I didn't really see that as anything special for AdvanceShipping, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised that people started drawing fan art of Ash and May in those outfits. I don't remember the Mirage special either, but I bet that it was standard stuff. There aren't too many AdvanceShipping episodes that I recall clearly, but that's because I stopped watching the Hoenn episodes around 2005 :(

Ðãmon Howe

Stop posting DH.
Do you happen to be the same user who wrote a story called "Where Earth Meets Ocean" or something of the sort? (My apologies if I didn't remember correctly, but a cursory search turned up nothing relevant.) I remember that from a few years ago. It has been quite a while, hasn't it?

Actually, that was me who wrote "When Earth Meets Ocean". :)

The Horizon

The Forgotten One
About the Ash and May prince/princess thing, FANFICTION IDEA:

Ash is sitting on his chair bored as sh*t because that decrepit old lady just likes to torture him, telling him he must stay in his chair because he is the crowned champion, or whatever nonsense she spewed out. Ash is having none of that crap so he devised a plan to have her get distracted by something and he makes his getaway.

"Hey lady, think fast!" yelled Ash.

He threw the scepter up in the air towards the old lady, frantically trying to get a handle on it. She finally has the scepter, but by this time she realizes she's been had. Ash has already made a run for it ignoring the old lady telling him to come back to his chair this instant. Yeah ok. Ash ran to the table with all the food because he's hungry like the wolf. Oh yeah, his Pokemon are also there scarfing down the grub, he better get in on the action. It wasn't long however that the old lady decided to send guards after him. Wait, guards!? Is Ash really in big trouble? All the kid wants is to eat, dammit. Ash isn't looking for trouble so looks likes he needs to make a run for it. He does have his Pokemon so he gonna use 'em to take on the guards while he runs. Ash runs to the middle of the dance floor trying to weave his way through the crowd of dancig rich pansies, well I don't if they're rich or just wearing their costumes just to make 'em look like rich pansie or something...but that's not the point! Ash is trying to make his eacape, then all of a sudden, he bumps into someone, and that someone turns out to be none other than May, you know the one with the Blaziken hairdo and stuff, and...anyway they bump into each other and are actually standing face to face with each other. Awkwardness. The people saw them staring at each other and they literally stop dancing and just form a circle around them, expecting to see them dance or something; like pack of wolves sniveling around something. Both Ash and May are just standing in the same spot doing nothing, just thinking whatever it is they're thinking. Must be embarassing to just stand around looking like idiots. Well, it's all Ash's fault anyway, so...
Will Ash dance with May, or will he run and not deal with this crap? Will he finally get caught and be glued back to his chair, or will Ash stick it to the old lady and finally give her what she deserves? Is Pikachu fat? All this and more, on...

Yes this is retarded. It just came up all of a sudden because you guys were talking about Ash and May being prince and princess and stuff. The Lucario movie may not be all that shippy, but that's why we have the Manaphy one, right?

FYI, the mirage movie does not count. It is nothing but a dead eye.

Last edited:

Ðãmon Howe

Stop posting DH.
About the Ash and May prince/princess thing, FANFICTION IDEA:

Ash is sitting on his chair bored as sh*t.....etc etc etc...All this and more, on...

Yes this is retarded. It just came up all of a sudden because you guys were talking about Ash and May being prince and princess and stuff. The Lucario movie may not be all that shippy, but that's why we have the Manaphy one, right?

FYI, the mirage movie does not count. It is nothing but a dead eye.

....well, I'm not so sure about that fanfic idea...personally, seems a little out there. But hey, if you can make it work by all means, go for it.

As far as that scene is concerned, this is an idea I had for a fanfic about it but never got around to/had the heart to write.

Ash is standing in the hall and everyone is gathered around, waiting as Ash is presented the Staff of Aaron (or whatever its called). As he is presented the staff and all the formalities, they begin the ball. But first, the "Guardian" gets to choose his "partner" and have the honorary first dance. Flustered, Ash chooses May...and the awkwardness begins. :)

I also have a few alternatives; one, instead of choosing outright the Guardian (Ash) must go out and dance with every willing girl in the place to determine his partner (and since he's the Guardian of course, everyone wants him) and of course May is shoved to the back of the line so by the time he gets to dance with her he's thrilled...and since there's a few more in line she starts to get bumped off but he holds on and dances with her a little more....and a little more....etc

....but that's just my thoughts. So many options, so little time.

Last edited:

Lord Zant

Two jobs. ugh
Wahoo, finals are over. Let summer begin! (for me :p)

I love the fanfiction ideas, guys. (Also, I was going back to my roots a few days ago, and I realized May's Crush turns five on July 15th! Has it really been that long? :O We need to have a party or something.)

I agree with Swampert - the best thing Lucario gave us was fan-art and the Brawl character.

Status
Not open for further replies.