• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Advanceshipping General Discussion: Where Ash and May ADVANCE together ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazmof

Zephyr Trainer
I've just been rewatching the DP episodes where May appears, and one thing that always annoyed me was that Dawn and May were the ones on a tag battle team, not Ash and May. I've always wanted to see both of them compete as a team in a tag battle and it's never occurred in a big event. It could have been a great showing of their chemistry and teamwork, but oh well - I guess we'll have to rely on fanfiction to see something like that happen.

Was I the only person to feel this way about the DP episodes?

Also, I don't understand why Ash couldn't immediately recognize May's Beautifly - he's normally really good at telling the difference between Pokemon, and it's not like he wasn't expecting to see her when the boat arrived.

Ðãmon Howe

Stop posting DH.
I've just been rewatching the DP episodes where May appears, and one thing that always annoyed me was that Dawn and May were the ones on a tag battle team, not Ash and May. I've always wanted to see both of them compete as a team in a tag battle and it's never occurred in a big event. It could have been a great showing of their chemistry and teamwork, but oh well - I guess we'll have to rely on fanfiction to see something like that happen.

Was I the only person to feel this way about the DP episodes?

Also, I don't understand why Ash couldn't immediately recognize May's Beautifly - he's normally really good at telling the difference between Pokemon, and it's not like he wasn't expecting to see her when the boat arrived.

Personally I think that after the Battle Frontier, Ash's anime intelligence went back down to Indigo League levels...idk, but in the Advance generation, he seemed to be the mentor to May but in DP he seemed less like a mentor and more like a companion/friendly rival.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.

I totally agree. I liked that May and Dawn bonded during the Wallace Cup and everything, but it would've made more sense for Ash and May to have teamed up for a tag battle. I remember there being an opening where Ash and May were shown battling against two trainers together, but that might not have been canon, so we really did need something solid in the anime. I just hope that it happens again when May reappears. I strongly believe that she will appear again in a future episode, so lets hope that she teams up with Ash for a tag battle.

Gazmof

Zephyr Trainer
Personally I think that after the Battle Frontier, Ash's anime intelligence went back down to Indigo League levels...idk, but in the Advance generation, he seemed to be the mentor to May but in DP he seemed less like a mentor and more like a companion/friendly rival.
100% agreed. That's actually one of the major reasons I disliked the DP anime, but that's a discussion for another place and time. Every time he would traditionally see a Pokemon he'd know right away which one it was if he had been around it long enough.

I remember there being an opening where Ash and May were shown battling against two trainers together, but that might not have been canon, so we really did need something solid in the anime.
Yep - Advanced Challenge intro. That was actually what first made me like the idea and I wanted to see it seriously acted upon in the anime but I was left disappointed. I remember when I first saw it I thought it was a clip from an actual episode and was constantly expecting to see it at some point in time.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Yep - Advanced Challenge intro. That was actually what first made me like the idea and I wanted to see it seriously acted upon in the anime but I was left disappointed. I remember when I first saw it I thought it was a clip from an actual episode and was constantly expecting to see it at some point in time.

Yeah, same here. I'm disappointed that the writers didn't have Ash and May team up for some serious tag battles. It's sort of ironic too, since Advanced Generation officially introduced two-on-two battles. Well, there's always the future to look forward to. I'm sure that Ash and May will team up for some serious battles later on. I'm almost positive that May will reappear when Contests are shown in the anime again. I think there's a good chance that we'll see Contests once again, so that means that May won't be too far behind :p

Ðãmon Howe

Stop posting DH.
Yeah, the tag battle clip from the opening made me expect Ash and May battle together. Unfortunaly, it never happened, and we didn't even see a tag battle in AG, I think...

Would have made lots of sense to have a tag battle in AG. The fact that it is a tag battle is enough, since using two Pokemon is a new way of battling in the games, and also have the two main characters battle with each other. The male protagonist and the female protagonist battling together, promoting this new style of battling would have been great.

I'd bet you money that we would have seen some hints, and maybe even some major hints, if it was a tag battle tournament in AG, and the pairing was Ash and May.

You know what, that's actually a good idea to put in a fanfic. Maybe I'll use it in my own fanfic, which might happen, if I got the time.

I like that idea! Totally use it for a fic!

As for Ash and May tag battling, yeah that was a little disappointing that they didn't do as much as they could've with it, but they did have a little of it in "The Bicker the Better" (I think that's the right episode).
What I'm really disappointed about is the Kyogue v. Groudon mini-movie. Seriously, they could've done so much with that besides just have Pikachu and Archie duke it out until they both quit for some weird reason or another. It would've been REALLY interesting to have team Magma's/Aqua's plans completely backfire when Ash gets captured. Instead of Archie winding up with the Red Orb and Pikachu with the Blue, what if Ash and May were bonded to the Orbs? Hold it, think of the possibilities for a second...

Last edited:

Midnightmoon6o2

"Tougher than you."
Yeah, same here. I'm disappointed that the writers didn't have Ash and May team up for some serious tag battles. It's sort of ironic too, since Advanced Generation officially introduced two-on-two battles. Well, there's always the future to look forward to. I'm sure that Ash and May will team up for some serious battles later on. I'm almost positive that May will reappear when Contests are shown in the anime again. I think there's a good chance that we'll see Contests once again, so that means that May won't be too far behind :p

Yeah, the irony is kinda funny. But they did have a tag battle once (and a million in fanfics. XD) I believe that contests aren't dead as well because the musicals are like contests in a way. just without the moves. And May was part of Ash's life as well so the writers can't just dump May like they did with Tracey. And AG is getting repeated in Japan the most so really the writers have no excuse to dump May.

And also, a few anti-advanceshippers are bashing our ship again. what sad people.

pokefandt

Not too much into shipping, but my first major pokemon fiction in general was Trials of the Elite Four by Dryuu on FF.NET, and ADVshipping has been my favorite since I guess.

Look up LuciferIX on the site as well, he's probably one of the best writers for that shipping on FF.NET

swampert55

It was also that tag battles were not available in single player until Emerald, so perhaps that had something to do with it. The focus seemed to be more on double battles. Anyway, I feels as though there should have been some sort of tag battle competition in the BF as additional filler, as the season focused on the Battle Frontier introduced in Emerald; introducing tag battles would have seemed logical as well.

EDIT: It turns out that there are more dedicated Advanceshippers than we:

[IMG139]http://imgsrc.baidu.com/forum/pic/item/dc0c647a5059f84b8882a161.jpg[/IMG139]

Last edited:

pokefandt

I remember reading Trials of the Elite Four. I remember reading the entire story one night. I sat up all night to eight clock in the morning, and I don't regret it. The longest Advanceshipping fan-fic I've ever read, and it's very good. Too bad I can't find the sequel.

He deleted it, along with Trials. Dryuu has been having "issues" with members of FF.NET and keeps taking down and reuploading his stories. Trials of the E4 and sequal not included unfortunately.

Midnightmoon6o2

"Tougher than you."
He deleted it, along with Trials. Dryuu has been having "issues" with members of FF.NET and keeps taking down and reuploading his stories. Trials of the E4 and sequal not included unfortunately.

Dryuu is such a great advanceshipping writer and is one of the classics. the sad thing is that he takes each review in a negative manner which starts a unfriendly conversation which soon Nina Lumos (His GF) comes in as well. I need my best friend Mat's (LuciferIX) help just to get him off my back after i reviewed on one of his fics. Even now he abuses people who just want to say what a great writer he is.

I still reads his fics though after what i've been through with him. i still admire his writing style because i find it hard to find a good advanceshipping writer or fanfic these days.

Last edited:

Ðãmon Howe

Stop posting DH.
I know Dryuu was/is a good author....never reviewed his stories though for some reason. Guess that's a good thing, since I'm a critical reviewer.

Lord Zant

Two jobs. ugh
Dryuu always had fantastic creativity and astounding drive, but I don't know if he was a native English speaker or not. I only reviewed a little - he wrote them too fast for me to review. But he certainly is a classic.

Ðãmon Howe

Stop posting DH.
Makes me wonder how many recognized "great" advanceshipping authors there are...both past ones and one's that are still around.

pokefandt

Dryuu is such a great advanceshipping writer and is one of the classics. the sad thing is that he takes each review in a negative manner which starts a unfriendly conversation which soon Nina Lumos (His GF) comes in as well. I need my best friend Mat's (LuciferIX) help just to get him off my back after i reviewed on one of his fics. Even now he abuses people who just want to say what a great writer he is.

I still reads his fics though after what i've been through with him. i still admire his writing style because i find it hard to find a good advanceshipping writer or fanfic these days.

I've basically stopped reading his stories cause half the time they're taken down before I have much of a chance to get into them.

You're friends with LuciferIX, have you read his most recent stuff? Its real good.

Dryuu always had fantastic creativity and astounding drive, but I don't know if he was a native English speaker or not. I only reviewed a little - he wrote them too fast for me to review. But he certainly is a classic.

On his FF.NEt profile it says he is from the Philippines so likely not.

Lord Zant

Two jobs. ugh
On his FF.NEt profile it says he is from the Philippines so likely not.

Ah, okay. And yeah, I get notifications on my email-enabled phone every time he uploads a chapter - he'll sometimes delete and reupload the same fic several times in a week.

LuciferIX is definitely one to look into. He's very skilled.

Hunter_RuLe

< Guess who's back?
Hi everyone, good to see advanceshipping and this thread are still alive. Props to all you guys, especially the veterans like Gaz, Swamp and Gaiash that are still here after all those years.

Now, let me also add something constructive. First I'll answer the last topic I could find, and what do you know it's actually quite a fresh original one at that!

Do you think Contestshipping actually helped Advanceshipping to grow?

Yes and No. At first I thought CS would be nothing but hostile towards the our favourite paring. More and more episodes containing contests and May - Drew dialogues seemed to take away screentime for moments between Ash and May. Moreover CS was the ‘new thing’and took away the thunder and some of the supporters of our shipping. I think I was afraid the writers would centralize the show to much around the rivalry, which would result in a downgrading of the moments the main characters build their relation upon.

However, in retrospect I think we can actually be glad about the existence of CS. Two major rival shippings happening within the same anime seasons made things all the more interesting. Not only did it gave some new dynamics and new possibilities, like speculated jealousy, the inevitable comparison also gave us fan seven more reason to focus on the details of the interaction between Ash and May. It was only by that time, many of us noticed cute little things like May’s tendency to hold Ash’s arm, ect. Much like Gazmof stated, the introduction of CS more drama and arguably more appreciation of the shippy moments that we did getting. Most of all we should realize that most of us like advanceshipping because of the unique, indescribable chemistry between the two characters.

To bring some more discussion in the thread, I would also like to add a new topic. It’s much like a classic Advanceshipping question, but a little twist.

It’s common knowledge that the interaction between Ash and May has been based on a intimate friendship aswell as a good old student-mentor relationship. Both know each other very well, they seldom have had much arguments and I believe they have an ultimate trust in eachother. Although this is all very nice and may give us cute loving moments, it does not exactly give much excitement in the form of (sexual) tension , ect. Although Ash was new and existing for May at the start, he’s become a very comfortable, almost brother-like, friend which she could always fall back on.

In the Advance Generation both trainers (and especially May) gained much from their friendship. Therefore they never may have wanted to put this at risk in a try to get their relation to another, less comfortable level (of passionate love). Do you think the time Ash and May have spend apart may affect this position? In other words, do you think the independent development of both characters may change the way they see eachother and thus the way they interact?

And just like in the old days, I'd like to end my post with a fan art. This time it's an art by atharple.

[img139]http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/234/b/9/Because_the_sky_is_there_by_Atharple.jpg[/img139]

Lift up your head and look at the future you're creating!
The wind brushes your cheeks, I'm sure it'll say:
"It's okay if you fall. You are you and that makes you wonderful!"
Because the sky is there...

Lord Zant

Two jobs. ugh
Great drawing, Gaiash. I think you get better every time. May seems to be missing her fannypack though.

Hunter RuLe? Alright! Nice to see an older face. Interesting question as well.

In the Advance Generation both trainers (and especially May) gained much from their friendship. Therefore they never may have wanted to put this at risk in a try to get their relation to another, less comfortable level (of passionate love). Do you think the time Ash and May have spend apart may affect this position? In other words, do you think the independent development of both characters may change the way they see eachother and thus the way they interact?

Is this a question of how they would react in the anime, or how they would reach in real life? :p Because somebody seems to have hit the reset button on Ash's development, I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to assume May hasn't changed too much either.

On the other hand, if they have changed, I think it's entirely possible and rather likely that they'd see each other at least a little differently if they meet up again. I'm sure May will have some respect for Ash getting as far as he did in the Sinnoh League. I don't really know what May's been up to though (does anyone?) but I'm sure it's all rather impressive in its own right.

But will they see each other differently enough to want to start up more of a romantic relationship? It's hard to say. Maybe if Ash can act more mature and calm and May can show off some cool, rare Pokemon or give him a good battle followed by a large meal. ;)

CyberBlaziken

A Greater Evil
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.