• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Advanceshipping General Discussion: Where Ash and May ADVANCE together ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaiash

Champion Scientist
hey, i did say that i agreed with you guys, i was just saying what i heard.
That's ok, its just I've heard so many rumors with only "I heard it from as friend who has relatives in Japan" to back it up. I don't blame you, I just don't want to rely on rumors.

and when i said that Ash's pokemon never evolve i was thinking of pikachu (which now that i think of it doesn't evolve until in contact with athunderstone), his bulbasaur and squrtle.
Well in the case of Bulbasaur and Pikachu they don't want to evolve.

Jbstormburst

AdvanceShipping Gen.
Guys, we have a dub hint!! Now, all I need to do is contact a translator friend of mine, and we may have a canon hint in the dub AND raw!!

Holy crud, we've been dead for a while now! Did anyone see the dub version of May coming back to Sinnoh? Any differences? Any dub-ish hints?

lol imagine if ash's bulbasaur re-united with may's again and he finds out shes a venusaur now.He'd be like ''WTF!''

just feel like wanting to post this up

190.jpg

erm, spam O___O;; please try to contribute to the current topic of the thread when posting, or, you know, at least try to talk about something advanceshippy because, you know, it's part of the rules >>;;
strike

Guys, we have a dub hint!! Now, all I need to do is contact a translator friend of mine, and we may have a canon hint in the dub AND raw!!

omg, are you serious??? That sounds awesome! Please do tell whatever it was!

VoltTacklingPika

I saw the episode and I didn't notice anything too different. Although there was one noticeable change towards the end of the episode. In the Japanese version, May says 'Satoshi-tachi' when talking about the ribbon. In the dub, I believe she just mentions how the ribbon reminds her of 'everything she's learned from Ash' and how its 'helped her through Johto'.

There might be something else; I don't know. I can't speak Japanese so I can't really compare the two episodes.

Does anyone want to post a topic of sorts, just so we can get some posts in this thread?

Jbstormburst

AdvanceShipping Gen.
Well, considering that discussing AdvanceShipping events is a topic without having to even use a question, that's unneeded for now. Anyways, onto what I picked up...

VoltTacklingPika, you're exactly right about the, "Satoshi-taichi," (S/P) part. That caused a lot of misfortune for us alone at first. However, the dub translates this into, "Ash and our journey." Now, I just need to consult a friend of mine from my site (some may know him as e4j), and then, we can see if we have a confirmed correct translation from, "Satoshi-taichi," which means the ribbon scene is a canon hint in both the dub AND raw.

uh-oh, if we bring up the ribbon thing, we might get in trouble again ^^;;
Taichi? erm, what does that mean exactly? [/japaneseretarded]

Topic, topic, topic....?

What to you makes advanceshipping better than others in your opinion?

In other words, why did you choose advanceshipping?

Avoid bashing pretty please

We're just repeating topics now, lol, but I really suck at this so yeah

Gaiash

Champion Scientist
This'll probably be most peoples answer but because I see May as Ash's perfect match. May shares many of Ash's qualities and I think that a relationship with a couple which have similar personalities would last longer than one with personalities that clash.

VoltTacklingPika

I believe -tachi means 'everyone', in a sense. So Satoshi-tachi would be Satoshi and everyone, Hikari-tachi would Hikari and everyone, etc, etc. Though someone who is actually Japanese or speaks Japanese would probably give a better explanation.

Well, no shipping is better than the other; there all equal and everyone has different reason for liking them. That aside, chemistry between two characters is very important to me. Do I need to say that Ash and May have chemistry?

It's also a bit of a process of elimination. Pokeshipping doesn't quite have the same chemistry and for some reason, Contestshipping reminds me too much of a common relationship you'd find around my home country, and I quote:

'You're well fit, wanna go out with me?'

'Yeah, I think your well fit, too. Let's go out and make out every day even though I've only known for you ten minutes!'

That was random... anyway, back to my hypophosis (God, I'm never using that word again. Probably spealt it wrong, meh.), Contestshipping strikes me as an unstable relationship, like the one 'demonstrated' above, and seems a bit too risque for my tastes. I like safe and sercure, thank you.

Also, another important factor that makes me think Advanceshipping is 'better' is that I like the characters involved. If you really like a charatcer, you often find yourself wanting the best for them. The same applies if you really hate a character, except you want the worse to happen to them. Since I like both Ash and May, naturally I would 'want' the two to be together. It's like in wrestling; if I see a match with two of my fave wrestlers in it, I really want to see it. Or, in football, if a see a match with two of my fave teams in it, I really want to see it.

Since I don't like Misty and Drew, and no it isn't a 'coicedence', I wouldn't want my fave character Ash to go out with someone like Misty, nor would I want my fave character May to go out with someone like Drew.

In conclusion, Advanceshipping meets many of my 'standards' and 'ethics'.

EDIT: I could probably think of a decent topic, but, and this may sound harsh, I really don't want to waste my time in doing so. If this thread had about, I don't know, ten or twenty consistent posters then I would. But since it doesn't, I just don't think its worth the effort of thinking up a decent topic that requires people to think and give long, intelligent answers.

*Sigh* I'll make one in a couple of days...

This thread really needs some 'rejuvanation', somehow. I know we don't get hints anymore and we probably won't get any more dub hints. Tis the season for, well, in-season ships. I don't know, I'm just rambling, but something needs to happen.

Last edited:

STJ

meh..^_^'
Just like how 4Kids dubbed in some PS hints, do you think there will be AS hints that will be dubbed in these coming episodes of May's arrival?

Honestly, I don't think they will

But that doesn't bother me, since I'm not the greatest fan of dub added dialogue anyway..

Does anyone want to post a topic of sorts, just so we can get some posts in this thread?

Well, I'll give it a shot as well

Is there a level of threshold of Advancshippyness that crosses the line from 'I like" to cringe worthy? (aka do you like fluff, and how much?)

Would Advanceshipping be any different for you if there was a gender swap?

Does Advanceshipping remind you of any other ship?

Do you think the writers want to actually go anywhere with the hints, if not then why do you think they put them in the first place?

Gaiash

Champion Scientist
Since my main reason for supporting the pairing is how their personalities match I don't think it would make much difference.

VoltTacklingPika

Is there a level of threshold of Advancshippyness that crosses the line from 'I like" to cringe worthy? (aka do you like fluff, and how much?)
I don't mind fluff, as long as its nothing major and necessary. Too much fluff can put me off, since it's a bit too sappy, for lack of a better word, for my tastes.

Depends if there's a personality change to go with the gender swap. I'm sure Ash and May's personalities would be different if some way if they swapped genders. As long as the personalities work well together then I'll still like it, regardless if its not quite the same characters involved anymore.

Even if the character retained the same personality the ship wouldn't change much since Advanceshipping is based off of the 'attractive qualities' that the characters share and not 'attraction because of physical appearance' (i.e. Contestshipping).

It sort of reminds of NaturoxHinato in 'Naruto', since Hinata admires Naruto for his determination and his will to never give up. May admires Ash, does she not? Also, it kind of reminds me IchigoxInoue from Bleach.

On a smaller scale, it also reminds me of Abilityshipping and the AshxAoi ship, since both of those ships are based off 'attraction towards qualities', similar to Advanceshipping. The only difference being is that those ships are half cannon (or were).

Do you think the writers want to actually go anywhere with the hints, if not then why do you think they put them in the first place?
That is actually a very good question: why do writers put in hints if they don't plan on going anywhere with them? I suppose it creates a somewhat humerous subplot and increase the fandom (some people only watch things for the romance). I don't think they'll go anywhere with them since it pretty much has nothing to do with main storyline of Pokemon.

Maybe they just want us to keep an open mind about pairings since they may be a pairing right at the end of Pokemon. If that were to happen, we can look back and see how and why it happened.

I have thought up a topic:
Consider this scenario: the writers want to make a certain ship cannon, but they can't decide on which ship. So, they leave it to the fans to decide via voting. What would you do to persuade people to vote for Advanceshipping? Also, what takes priority in your voting; the desire to make a ship cannon or the desire to make sure the anime stays at a reasonably decent standard (in other words, would you still vote even if your ship can potentially make the anime worse)?

Mayziken

Advanceshipping<3

It reminds me of HarryxGinny in Harry Potter:) don't ask my why, it just dose... for thos who think I'm weird because Advanceshipping reminds me of HarryxGinny; I now I'm weird and there is nothing you can do about it:D

Yes I think the writers are going to let Ash have a girl in the end, but I don't now who... "mental note:" Kill the writers of Pokemon if Ash dose not get May

Last edited:
Depends on how well-written fluff is. Too much pointless fluff and I'll laugh at the ridiculousness of it.

Assuming the personalities stay the same, it would certainly be interesting. Having the girl be the brave one and the guy be the sweet one is not something you see that often.

Consider this scenario: the writers want to make a certain ship cannon, but they can't decide on which ship. So, they leave it to the fans to decide via voting. What would you do to persuade people to vote for Advanceshipping? Also, what takes priority in your voting; the desire to make a ship cannon or the desire to make sure the anime stays at a reasonably decent standard (in other words, would you still vote even if your ship can potentially make the anime worse)?

I sincerely hope this response does not qualify as bashing, but to the second question, I would definitely not vote if the ship could make the anime worse. Just look at 4Kids and Pokeshipping. Their need to push the shipping caused trouble in Advanced because they just had to keep reminding the audience about Misty when they should have been focussing on the current cast.

To persuade people to vote for Advanceshipping, I would just have them analyze the evidence and decide for themselves if they think Ash and May sound good together. After the 4Kids ordeal, I really wouldn't want to force a ship on anyone.

VoltTacklingPika

It shouldn't be considered as bashing, since you're not insulting the ship nor are you actually writing off the chances of it happening. I don't think many people actually consider the effect a pairing could have on the anime when they ship it.

The Horizon

The Forgotten One
THE THREAD LIVES AGAIN. I know, I'm a jackass.

I honestly think they are perfect for each other. Ash may even go the distance to help out May. Of course, it would make him a bit of a softie.

Think of it as natural process. Both do something together, both then face each other, Ash goes 90, May comes 10, then voila. A kiss. Well, to be honest, I'm not really into fluff.

Kinda reminds me of something. Dump 'em in those cursed springs in China and see what happens.

What do you like about the episode A Full Course Tag Battle? What don't you like about it?

What is the one thing that is synonymous with Advanceshipping?

Two more topics to answer.

VoltTacklingPika

What do you like about the episode A Full Course Tag Battle? What don't you like about it?
It wasn't all that bad. The fact that was in English was a plus. The Dub hint was also good, in a sense. I can't think of anything bad about so far.

As in, what one things is equevilant or has the same meaning as Advanceshipping? Hmm... I would have to say that safety and sercurity is the one thing that is synonymous with Advanceshipping. The relationship appears to be very safe and sercure, does it not?

The Horizon

The Forgotten One
It wasn't all that bad. The fact that was in English was a plus. The Dub hint was also good, in a sense. I can't think of anything bad about so far.

What's bad is the voice dubbing. Sounds horrible. Other than that, is all good. Now I am trying to make sense of the ribbon thing.

As in, what one things is equevilant or has the same meaning as Advanceshipping? Hmm... I would have to say that safety and sercurity is the one thing that is synonymous with Advanceshipping. The relationship appears to be very safe and sercure, does it not?

The best I got is Manaphy. It brought out Advanceshipping more.

kawaii serebii

PokeSpe Collector
O___O I'm back. sorry, I've been away for so long. My laptop crashed <_< it seems to be fine now... mostly..

I liked the part where they brought out their Terracotta Ribbon and joined the halves together!! I kinda thought they will just bring it out and say 'of course I still have it with me' and that's it, but joining both halves together nearly made me squeal in class XD. I didn't like the fact that I don't understand what May's saying coz it's in Japanese @__@ and I haven't watched the English dub yet. so mostly, I hate myself for not watching the dub <_<

VoltTacklingPika

The dubbing doesn't bother me anymore. It's actually not so bad once you get used to it. In comparison to what it was, the standard is very low but as long as I get the general gist of what's happening then it's fine. The dubbing itself doesn't actually alter the point of the episode, nor do the script changes; since the scripts were different from the original anyway.

Moving on, I have another topic:

Would Ash's lack of knowledge in the field of romance be a barrier preventing a relationship between Ash and May, seeing as how May likes, and possibly wants, romance?

RobSp1derp1g

On my way...
Sorry, people, I've been busy looking for a job...

So, time to answer some topics:

I can say it clearly:ALMOST EVERYTHING, INCLUDING THE DUB VOICE.
I saw the episode on both languages and I loved it.

Manaphy. No questions asked.

Would Ash's lack of knowledge in the field of romance be a barrier preventing a relationship between Ash and May, seeing as how May likes, and possibly wants, romance?
Ash trained her on the field of Pokémon training, so May would train him on the field of romance. If she has patience, LOTS of it.

BTW, I don't know if anyone cares, but the Soundtrack has had a Special Edition. anyone interested in it, please PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.