• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Advanceshipping General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordVurtax

That had to be one of the best topics i've heard yet.
If you had the chance to talk to the writers about Advanceshipping, what would be the first question you would ask?

"When you guys added the Luvdisc scene, were you planning to follow up on it considering what Luvdisc symbolizes"

Last edited:

razr12

Your Mom's Trainer
If you had the chance to talk to the writers about Advanceshipping, what would be the first question you would ask?

Do you guys even consider on making this a canon sometimes?

Lord Zant

Two jobs. ugh
I'd tie them down until they admitted that the Lovedisc scene was symbolic of deep, everlasting love that Drew and Misty could never break. Then I'd quote them all over the internet.

NOTICE:
If anyone is still interested in the character essay, I'm putting the deadline at the end of February. This gives you a month and a half, so I hope that's enough time. (If you're new, the character essay is an in-depth analysis of Ash and May's characters. It'll be edited into the front page by a mod, if that offer is still open.)

Also, PM me links to the Advanceshipping fansites and/or fics that you think should be featured in the first post.

~LZ~

Master_in_Training

Future Master
Are you guys just playing with us on the Pokemon ranger movie, or are you trying to send a subtle message?

Another fic-inspired topic:
If they actually met even before Ash began his own journey(AKA the beginning of the series), how would you picture/describe it?

Gazmof

Zephyr Trainer
If they actually met even before Ash began his own journey(AKA the beginning of the series), how would you picture/describe it?

Well, May would be a lot calmer towards him than Misty was, that's for sure (as evidenced by the fact that she really didn't care when Pikachu incinerated her bike). Part of me is tempted to say they would clash a little in the first couple of episodes as May slowly comes to terms about liking Pokemon (since Ash was very headstrong and in-your-face back then, far more than he is now - how I miss that... *weep*), but after a little bit of butting heads it would be all over.

This is all purely on a "what if May replaced Misty during the first season" basis - therefore assuming Misty is nowhere to be seen. I imagine if she was there in addition to May then things would be very different indeed.

It makes me sad to think what an awesome job the original writers of the series could've done with May's character (interesting to see how she would've reacted to Giselle in The School of Hard Knocks), y'know, back when the series wasn't afraid to take a few wacky chances.

Hunter_RuLe

< Guess who's back?

I'm not so sure about this one. Ash might have seen May as a rival back then, he wanted to be a good trainer very badly and he though he didn't need help from anyone.

May however, won't like traveling alone and might try to hang around with Ash, but I don't know is she would be following him so badly like Misty did, without the bike thing and the fiery character.

After all I'm quite glad May didn't show up in the first season, because she and Ash would be to similar, and I actually like some of the cuter mentor-student moments they had in the show, they're cute. Also they make Hoenn much more interesting than Johto imo, we're epiosdes we're all the same.

Gaiash

Champion Scientist
Well for one thing Advanceshipping would be called Pokeshipping due to it being the first pairing people are introduced to. Anyway other than that I'd essume their relationship would be just like in Advanced Generation, of course rather than Ash being May's mentor they'd learn together.

STJ

meh..^_^'

Well, for starters, May wouldn't be considered all that girly. Sure, she's not butch by a long shot, but with no Misty (or Dawn, for that matter) for comparison, she comes across as normal in that area.

With that said, since they would both be beginning trainers, then I'm sure they're dynamic would be different (and that's especially if May didn't change her mind and stayed a trainer or coordinator).. perhaps they would have rival tendencies .. but that would be natural...

I'm sure they would bicker, but I doubt they would just keep going at it.. It just doesn't seem like something either of them would do. At the beginning Misty would repeatedly belittle Ash at the fact that she felt he didn't earn the first couple of badges.. I doubt May would feel exactly the same about that.

It makes me sad to think what an awesome job the original writers of the series could've done with May's character (interesting to see how she would've reacted to Giselle in The School of Hard Knocks), y'know, back when the series wasn't afraid to take a few wacky chances.
Heh.. It wouldn't surprise me if she got ticked off too at her arrogance.. though perhaps she would notice that she's really the only girl Ash has ever gawked at XD

EarthBorn

ConVulATiON

Well, I just hope that May's character wouldn't drain out during Johto like Misty's did.
What would be more beneficial would be a different senario from the start: Ash having an equal who would compete in Contest alongside him.
Naturally, more time may be devoted to advanceshipping in episodes, seeing the amount of hints in those first two seasons: they'd be quite a lot.

Still - what if Misty were to replace May for the Hoenn arc? Could you imagine that scenario?

razr12

Your Mom's Trainer

Well, it wouldn't be the same. Since there weren't any contests, it'll be harder for May to get interested in Pokemon. And in the beginning, she didn't like Pokemon at all so that could be a bumpy road for Ash and May.

If May were to continue her role as the main female protagonist, would Advanceshipping continue to the same spot as it is now or would it be closer to a canon as the episodes go by?

kawaii serebii

PokeSpe Collector
If May were to continue her role as the main female protagonist, would Advanceshipping continue to the same spot as it is now or would it be closer to a canon as the episodes go by?
We'll have a lot more supporters now. And the series would not be focusing on Ash's goal alone.

soulos

blaziken elite
What's your favorite moment between Ash and May in the series?
well theres to many to list but i think it would have to be their final battle against each other. i loved how it ended up in a draw even though may should have won.

Last edited by a moderator:

swampert55

Well, we wouldn't have experienced the sharp decline in popularity at the end of BF. Additionally, AS would be more likely to become canon.

Last edited:

kawaii serebii

PokeSpe Collector
I just realized that my answer to this topic didn't get submitted.

*ties them up*
Me: Well? Is the 9th movie for real or are you guys intending to play with us until you run out of arcs to create?
Writers: What 9th movie?!
Me: The Luvdisc scene, dammit! Luvdisc symbolizes love! Or are you trying to say that the scene is for May and Manaphy? (which the idea itself freaks me ou)
Writers: ... In that case you'll have to wait patiently. We chose not to focus on this aspect of the movie and -
Me: *whacks them over the head*

So you see? If they do not give us an answer, I should consider going back to Japan and meeting the directors in person. That is, when I learn how to speak Japanese in Yakuza-style.

razr12

Your Mom's Trainer
I just realized that my answer to this topic didn't get submitted.

*ties them up*
Me: Well? Is the 9th movie for real or are you guys intending to play with us until you run out of arcs to create?
Writers: What 9th movie?!
Me: The Luvdisc scene, dammit! Luvdisc symbolizes love! Or are you trying to say that the scene is for May and Manaphy? (which the idea itself freaks me ou)
Writers: ... In that case you'll have to wait patiently. We chose not to focus on this aspect of the movie and -
Me: *whacks them over the head*

So you see? If they do not give us an answer, I should consider going back to Japan and meeting the directors in person. That is, when I learn how to speak Japanese in Yakuza-style.

Lol, that would probably work :p

Anyways back to topic,

Answered this already, but got another answer~

I'd ask them if it was inspired by something. You know like a childhood expeirence or soemthing.

kawaii serebii

PokeSpe Collector
I imagine it would be something like meeting Misty, except May won't be fishing. She may be a rookie trainer just starting out, getting lost in the woods and crashes into Ash escaping the Spearows.And she'll probably freak out as well and started running as well.

PikamasterADV

No hero. Never was.

How they themselves feel about it. After all, they did drop lots of hints in Movie 9, as well as in The Bicker The Better, and many others were dropped in other places as AG went on.

In my opinion, we'll only see a Shipping become canon when the Pokémon Anime (or at least the story of Ash) comes to an end. So, we'd be exactly were we were in AG. So not the same spot as we are currently, but not any more canon than we were at the end of the Battle Frontier.

I echo the sentiment above that it wouldn't be the same. Ash was a lot less mature when he started his Pokémon Journey. He wouldn't handle May the same way he did in Advanced Generation, since he'd consider beginner May to be a rival, instead of taking her as a student with two Pokémon Leagues under his own belt. Without supervision from Misty and Brock, Ash wouldn't know what to make of Norman's daughter, and things don't look good from there. But that's my opinion.

LordVurtax

Hey guys, great news. I have just been able to prove May's Wish had something to do with Ash. Here it goes.

Okay i think it was on the 4th night, but the night right after May folded the tab, after hugging her wishing star did she look down to where Ash was (which he was currently skipping rocks across the river) It goes back to May who actually had a very anxious look on her face. YESSSS!!!! THANK YOU TOONDISNEY FOR PUTTING THAT MOVIE ON.
( i used my service's search engine to find the closest showing of anything pokemon related. I do not watch Toondisney and i won't)

The part how she kept counting the days makes the hint even better, so it's like "Only (Blank) days left" Before I'm with Ash

Vixtro

Hey guys, great news. I have just been able to prove May's Wish had something to do with Ash. Here it goes.

Okay i think it was on the 4th night, but the night right after May folded the tab, after hugging her wishing star did she look down to where Ash was (which he was currently skipping rocks across the river) It goes back to May who actually had a very anxious look on her face. YESSSS!!!! THANK YOU TOONDISNEY FOR PUTTING THAT MOVIE ON.
( i used my service's search engine to find the closest showing of anything pokemon related. I do not watch Toondisney and i won't)

The part how she kept counting the days makes the hint even better, so it's like "Only (Blank) days left" Before I'm with Ash
I personally thought it was because she saw how attached Max was getting to Jirachi and that she was worried about how upset Max will be when he has to say "Goodbye" to Jirachi. But watching that scene again, you can look at it either way or it could be a combination of both.

Status
Not open for further replies.