• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Advancing on New Generations

So Gamefreak has created a total of 5 generations now, plus a sequel. Would you expect to see a 6th or maybe even 7th generation being created, or do you think it's time for them to stop in their tracks with a brain busting 649 Pokemon?

Miindfreakk

Illusionist Trainer
A 6 and 7th generation will surely make their apparition . Money,money,money ;)

TeamRocketGrunt

WobbWobbWobb Wobrudo
You know Nintendo loves money. Pokemon is the 2nd best selling game series of all time (Behind Mario, who, obviously, is a VERY iconic Nintendo character) so they will make G6 (Somehow manages not to make a Far East Movement reference)

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
So Gamefreak has created a total of 5 generations now, plus a sequel. Would you expect to see a 6th or maybe even 7th generation being created, or do you think it's time for them to stop in their tracks with a brain busting 649 Pokemon?

This question has been asked so many times to the point that it's getting annoying.

As long the pokémon series sells in big numbers, which it does, Game Freak/Nintendo will continue to make the pokémon game.

We will get gen 6, 7, 8, 9 and so on.

It not like Game Freak/Nintendo will suddenly say "you know what we made 5 generation of Pokémon games let just end it now and move on to making other games."

Remember Pokémon is Nintendo second biggest franchise after the Mario franchise.

Furthermore the The legend of Zelda series has been around for 25 years but yet I don't hear people asking the same question.

So really asking "when do you think the Pokémon series will end?" is a pointless question since nothing will be gained in asking that question.

725roy

ambivolent
I remember when people were asking this after 3rd gen. Pokemon will go on. 'nuff said.

Silverwindstudios

The Midnight Artist~
I don't think they'll end with 6th Gen. I think they'll stop when they can no longer piece parts of mythological creatures, legends, organic organisms, and robotic/science fiction things.

Oao

As others have said Gen 5 probably wont be the last and besides Gen 5 isn't over yet. Its way too early to start speculating about newer Gen games when Black and White 2 not even being released yet outside of Japan.

Sarcastic Oshawott

Wow such forum
The point is Pokemon, as long as it continues selling millions of copies, which I can see happening, as B2W2 sold iirc 1.2 million copies in its first day in Japan alone. At almost $30 bucks a pop (because I'm American, so I use dollars) that's roughly 36(?) million dollars in sales and counting.

darthscyther123

There's no way that they'll stop at 649 pokemon. I have no doubt that one day there will be over 1,000. One of the most attractive parts of the game is that there are so many options with which to change your team around and challenge others' teams.

Aura Of Twilight

Forever Clueless
Like what many of the posts above me, I agree that there's no way they'll stop making pokemon anytime soon. The games have been popular for years and probably will continue to so. Heck, at the rate Nintendo is going, the kids I might have someday could be playing Pokemon games themselves. XD

It will end eventually when it no longer makes money. But eventually can be anywhere from years to decades. If you want my honest opinion, Pokemon will continue going on until something else comes along that can flat-out beat it. Digimon tried way back when and failed. One day something similar to Pokemon will come along and steal all the kids away from the franchise. Until that day comes, new generations of Pokemon will keep coming.

Serebii!

I think they will continue to a 7th generation but what I really want to see is the amount of new Pokemon they are able to create

Izanagi

'Sup!
Pointless question is pointless. Pokemon will keep being miked for however long it can be which is probably well into the foreseeable future and beyond.

Watchog

Lv. 50
Well. . . . i do hope it stop's at some point, hopefully in the next couple years they'll go downhill and feel forced to stop, but that ain't gonna happen they make lots and LOTS of money.

I just can't imagine myself as an old man with all these "bunch" of new games coming out.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Its an incomplete quest to capture every pokemon. you'll grow old and die, but newer games will keep appearing and newer generations who never had Blue/Red/Yellow, will keep playing them.. and so on.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
If you want my honest opinion, Pokemon will continue going on until something else comes along that can flat-out beat it. Digimon tried way back when and failed.

Uhhh....Digimon didn't try to "beat Pokemon." The just happened to come into existence at around the same time. Plus, Digimon is still going on in Japan...

But as for the main question, I think Pokemon will go on for as long as it continues to sell, which I can foresee being a very long time. It could go on for another fifteen years or more! :D
And of course, I'd always do my very best to keep up with it. :)

TheEliteEmpoleon

It obviously will continue. There's no reason it shouldn't. Its just the fact that there are already so many pokemon, people can't see room for more.

Mikey1701

As long as we don't get anymore Pokemon based on household appliancs, rubbish bags or ice creams- I'm happy for Pokemon to contine for as many Generations as they can squeeze out :)