• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Adventure Time

That episode is making me come up with crazy theories but oddly enough, all of them are about Princess Bubblegum. If you think about it, she is the only main character whom we don't have a solid background for. Her family hasn't been mentioned, and the only time we have seen her young is when she has been de-aged. Every other flashback has shown her as eighteen. So far, all we know is that she built the Candy Kingdom, and she has a past with Marceline. Other than a couple of pictures in her castle, we don't know anything about where she came from. To top it off, her creation of both Goliad and Lemongrab shows that she has no intention of procreating naturally, or she can't procreate naturally.

I'm beginning to think that maybe, she is that wad of Bubblegum that gave Simon the soup. Maybe after Simon fully transforms into the Ice King, she ends up taking care of Marcie. It would explain why Ice King would have such a deep obsession with her specifically. He could very well remember her as the thing that helped him and Marcie survive. It could also explain how her and Marceline could have had their falling out. Maybe Marceline didn't like how Princess Bubblegum treated the Ice King, or maybe, Princess Bubblegum began neglecting her in favor of the Candy Kingdom and science.

tcg

私は日本語が話せない
I love the fionna and cake episodes. My favorite character is marshall lee because he's voiced by donald glover and he is my favorite rapper.

Firebrand

Indomitable
That episode is making me come up with crazy theories but oddly enough, all of them are about Princess Bubblegum. If you think about it, she is the only main character whom we don't have a solid background for. Her family hasn't been mentioned, and the only time we have seen her young is when she has been de-aged. Every other flashback has shown her as eighteen. So far, all we know is that she built the Candy Kingdom, and she has a past with Marceline. Other than a couple of pictures in her castle, we don't know anything about where she came from. To top it off, her creation of both Goliad and Lemongrab shows that she has no intention of procreating naturally, or she can't procreate naturally.

I'm beginning to think that maybe, she is that wad of Bubblegum that gave Simon the soup. Maybe after Simon fully transforms into the Ice King, she ends up taking care of Marcie. It would explain why Ice King would have such a deep obsession with her specifically. He could very well remember her as the thing that helped him and Marcie survive. It could also explain how her and Marceline could have had their falling out. Maybe Marceline didn't like how Princess Bubblegum treated the Ice King, or maybe, Princess Bubblegum began neglecting her in favor of the Candy Kingdom and science.

But we do know about her past. In Susan Strong, she mentions her Great-Uncle Gumwad, and Cotton Candy Princess was mentioned in His Hero, as the princess Billy saved. Bubblegum is simply the latest in a long line of Candy Kingdom rulers. Bubblegum created Goliad to take over for her when she died, and gave Goliad her psychic powers to protect the CK from the Lich. Of course, Finn and Jake's meddling (mostly Jake's) corrupted Goliad and made her unfit to rule, but this doesn't change the argument I'm trying to make.

Someone (likely the previous candy ruler) created Bubblegum some time in the past. While I don't doubt that the wad of gum is connected to the Candy Kingdom, it's more likely a candy ancestor, some kind of primordial candy biomass. It may even be what becomes the Candy Kingdom someday. Bubblegum, despite appearing 18, is obviously not 18, but I also have my doubts that she's 1000 years old.

Firebrand

Indomitable
Have people seen this article yet? This, on top of the recent nomination of Princess Cookie for some kind of animation award, is getting Adventure Time tons of good press!

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
Have people seen this article yet? This, on top of the recent nomination of Princess Cookie for some kind of animation award, is getting Adventure Time tons of good press!

I should see that episode. It's interesting that it expands the lore.

deathseer

Oh, u mad bro?
I for one would really like to know what the back story is between Marcy and Bubblegum. From what I can tell in What Was Missing, they aren't related, and they obviously had some sort of relationship. Most would like to say that they were just best friends and it goes no further than that. But I think its deeper than that, as Marcy throughout the episode is acting like a spurned lover who still has feelings for her ex while Bubblegum sounds like she wanted Marcy to change at some point (maybe even trying to force her to) but it only served to spurn their relationship. She ever affectionately calls Bubblegum, "Bonnibel", which I think shows that they were at least close at some point.

"I'm Just Your Problem" just screams subtext when you actually pay attention to the lyrics.

Then again, this is just one guys ramblings.

Last edited:

Rayze Darr

Snubbull Supporter
I for one would really like to know what the back story is between Marcy and Bubblegum. From what I can tell in What Was Missing, they aren't related, and they obviously had some sort of relationship. Most would like to say that they were just best friends and it goes no further than that. But I think its deeper than that, as Marcy throughout the episode is acting like a spurned lover who still has feelings for her ex while Bubblegum sounds like she wanted Marcy to change at some point (maybe even trying to force her to) but it only served to spurn their relationship. She ever affectionately calls Bubblegum, "Bonnibel", which I think shows that they were at least close at some point.

"I'm Just Your Problem" just screams subtext when you actually pay attention to the lyrics.

Adventure Time has plenty of heavily implied adult themes. I, for one, wholly agree that the creators set up an unseen lesbian backstory between the two characters. Maybe they weren't trying to imply that far; I'm open to being wrong. Still, you can't argue the extremely uncharacteristic level of embarrassment Marceline takes on during "I'm Just Your Problem," even worse than she's ever had with her dad. Then there's the shirt incident later in that episode, followed by the fact that Marceline didn't even need to be there with them that episode, but chose to be instead.

But now I'm just starting to repeat what's already been said. Bubbline for life!

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I just remembered how Simon called Marceline "Gunther" in the flashback. I laughed when he said that.

PurpleTitan

King of Unova
I just remembered how Simon called Marceline "Gunther" in the flashback. I laughed when he said that.
Ha! That bit WAS funny. I hope the Ice King will eventually realise who he really is in a future episode. That would actually be a good episode, now that I think about it...

Rayze Darr

Snubbull Supporter

That bit wasn't meant to be funny. Personally, I found it to be the saddest part of the while episode. It was the final confirmation that Simon had lost his mind. It's especially sad if you submit to the theory that "Gunter" was the name of his son who had. Been killed in the Mushroom War.

PurpleTitan

King of Unova
That bit wasn't meant to be funny. Personally, I found it to be the saddest part of the while episode. It was the final confirmation that Simon had lost his mind. It's especially sad if you submit to the theory that "Gunter" was the name of his son who had. Been killed in the Mushroom War.
Deep...0_0

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT

I'm assuming that wad of gum that saved them in the recent episode "Simon and Marcy" was bubblegum before she gain sentience.

The Doctor

Absolute Beginner
I'm assuming that wad of gum that saved them in the recent episode "Simon and Marcy" was bubblegum before she gain sentience.

PB has mentioned having an uncle before. I think it's one of her ancestors, and their status as royals is because they were the first species to become fully sentient after the Mushroom War.

PurpleTitan

King of Unova
PB has mentioned having an uncle before. I think it's one of her ancestors, and their status as royals is because they were the first species to become fully sentient after the Mushroom War.
Now THAT is a solid theory.

deathseer

Oh, u mad bro?
Not entire sure of the idea that Bubblegum served as some sort of guardian for Marceline when she was younger. Marceline kept mentioning about how Bubblegum made her want to change in some aspect and how she thinks that Bubblegum wanted her to be perfect. It gives off a relationship vibe in that sometimes when one is in a relationship, their partner may want to change certain aspects about the other that they don't like (Like the adage of a nice girl dating a "bad boy" and wanting to change him). I think that fits more about how their relationship might have been, with Marceline feeling like she wasn't good enough for Bubblegum and Bubblegum may have been wanting to change something about Marceline that she thought was insignificant, but to Marceline was very important.

A small theory that I have been messing around with is that sometime in the past Bubblegum and Marceline were an item and true to Bubblegum's scientific disposition, she developed a cure for vampirism (Thinking of it as some sort of disease), hoping to make Marceline human again and not having to always to be with her only at night and other positives that come with being human. Unfortunately, Marceline doesn't take it as well as she hoped shewould, stating that she likes who she is and doesn't want to change, feeling a bit insecure and that Bubblegum doesn't like her for who she is. She probably didn't like the idea of Bubblegum trying to change her and wanting her to fit into this perfect mold and Bubblegum didn't help by being stuck in her scientific mindset (Thinking that everything that can be fixed, should be) and the two just had a falling out.

Most is just from the lyrics in I'm Just Your Problem. From the sound of it, Marceline probably felt that Bubblegum was being who she is, thinking that she is always right and tried to change her in some capacity and Marceline didn't like the idea that what she was, wasn't good enough for her. But even then, she still had those feelings for her and probably still wants her (Lyrics like I want to drink the red out of your pretty pink face sort of lend itself to that kind of thinking.

Another theory is a more simpler one in that, Bubblegum probably doesn't like that Marceline doesn't worship the ground she walks on and treat her like a goddess like everyone else and it just bugs the crap out of her. Since she is royalty, she probably expects to be treated a certain way and Marceline simply just won't comply, loving how she gets under her skin and she believes deep down that Bubblegum wants her more that she cares to admit, but as a Princess, such thinking is forbidden. Bubblegum may be sweet and kind, but she probably still demands respect from her subjects, even Marceline. But what bugs Marceline is that that same attention isn't reciprocated. Bubblegum thinks that by ignoring Marceline, it means she won't have to acknowledge those feelings, and Marceline absolutely hates that, because it makes her feel like she doesn't even treat her like a person. My guess is that at one point, Bubblegum realized she was getting too close to Marceline and that it would be best to simply ignore her feelings and ignore the scrutiny she would have to face. She feels ignored and just wants Bubblegum to acknowledge her again and stop ignoring her like she doesn't exist.

Although given Bubblegum's reaction to Marceline's song, she probably feels like Marceline couldn't be more wrong about her and that she still cares about her, she just doesn't show it as often as she would like to and probably feels some guilt for that. But deep down, she probably doesn't feel like she did anything wrong and just wanted Marceline to change for her (Probably giving her an ultimatum) and feeling like what she requested from her wasn't asking too much. She probably didn't like Marceline's attitude and wanted her to shape up and fly right if she wanted to continue being with her, making Marceline feel like she was no better than any of her servants if she did comply.

The door's reaction to Marecline is pretty interesting as well. As we know, it only responds to the truth and it only stopped responding to Marceline when she mentioned wanting to bury Bubblegum into the ground. The door probably stopped because in truth, Marceline wanted to do nothing like that to her and just wanted to make up with her and probably more (Drink the red from your face probably means kissing her).

By the end of the episode, it looks as if they both realize how wrong they had been and show signs of willing to open up to each other again. The t-shirt part was especially cute.

Again, these are just some theories. If I were a writer for the show, that's how I'd probably frame their relationship, given the information present.

Last edited:

Rayze Darr

Snubbull Supporter
I didn't like the latest episode very much... Mostly because I hated the way they animated it. :/ WHY ADVENTURE TIME?!

I get the feeling that this was their intent. It was the April Fool's Day episode, after all.