• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Advertising- Oh Noez We're Becoming Robots!!

Adrexus

Do it the bird way!
^ Sarcasm BTW

Advertising, it is almost impossible to escape it now. It's all extending reach permeates movies, television, newspapers, magazines, internet and any other creative means that your mind can dream up.

So, is advertising harmful to our society? Do you believe that it is influencing the way we think and make decisions? Are we becoming shopaholics with an insatiable appetite to consume the latest craze? Do the methods of advertising disgust you in any way?

Or

Do you think that advertising is necessary for society. After all, wouldn't a lot of businesses fail if they had no way to get their product out in the open. Do you think that it is harmless and doesn't necessarily always influence decision making. After all humans are rational beings with the ability to reason correct?

Discuss

The_Boss_Giygas

I. F.E.E.L. G.O.O.D.
Advertising is needed for people to sell products it's been going on for centuries, just you yelling "I sale clothes!" is advertising does it influence people on how they buy? Yes that's what it's supposed to do all advertisers compete to make you buy their product over everyone else's, some people buy stuff if the advertisement is funny, sex, clever, emotional, logical, to them and so on. I don't see a problem with it. The thing that's brain washing people is peer pressure, everyone wants to do as their friends do and they want to be accepted by everyone so they do what everyone else does thus they're all the same little robots following the same trends & things.

natie

Mr. F
People that fall for advertisements are weak, because they can't resist the constant push of the media to make them buy things they don't want or don't even need in the first place. I'm perfectly fine with advertisements anywhere, as long as they don't take up more space than the thing you were actually looking for (although that seems to be more and more the case these days with TV, because whenever you try watching a film, you get bombed with advertisements during the pauses and sometimes even during the film itself, which is annoying, but you get used to it after a while).

tl;dr: nothing wrong with advertisements, as long as the people that look at them understand that they don't necessarily need that which is being advertised. Besides, most things that get advertisements are things that nearly no one would want anyway.

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
I don't think advertisements really make the shopping addicting, I think shopping makes the shopping addiction. Advertisments don't make you shop.

That said, a lot of things that are being aggressively advertised are absolute junk. The more they're advertised, the more of a craze people are trying to whip up for a certain product. Well, I take it back, advertising can control people's choices in one way - they can establish fashion, and what's in style, what's popular, and that's one way anyone can be made to buy something. But that something still has to have some degree of good quality to get in style, so it's not exactly voodoo.

I found this book in the sociology pile at my college called The Globalization of Nothing. (The fact that I don't see this brilliant piece of work advertized on paper coffee cups or the side of buses reinforces my impression that nothing with such a loud mouth is worth buying.) The author spends about 200 pages contemplating exactly what cultural value advertisments are worth, and whether they play a role in assimilating the world's culture, and if so, what are they turning the world's culture into? Corporate logos are symbols that are really just philosophical dead ends, they have no moral value attached to them, so mentally, they are really nothing but symbols of their own enterprise, and this poses a danger of making individual culture into nothing as as it is consolidated and streamlined into a series of symbols that have little meaning.

I really suggest this book, it is a fascinating read, and if you care about the fate of the world, you should go buy it on Amazon right now to educate yourself. Remember, one educated person can make a difference. For a limited time you can make a difference and get 8% percent off the original price! That's right, 8% off! Making a difference has never been easier!

/joke

Last edited:

7 tyranitars

ahh comercials *goes to the toilet gets some snacks/drinks* oh the movie started again good :) I see it as a nice break which I don't care about

however on internet if it makes you lag it becomes anoying oh and don't forget that you are again the for the 100x time the 1 miljon visitor of this same damn site! you might have a chance to mayby get a car again! so yeah it can be usefull for tv breaks but just plain anoyance on the internet..

Last edited:

Dark Eevee

People that fall for advertisements are weak, because they can't resist the constant push of the media to make them buy things they don't want or don't even need in the first place. I'm perfectly fine with advertisements anywhere, as long as they don't take up more space than the thing you were actually looking for (although that seems to be more and more the case these days with TV, because whenever you try watching a film, you get bombed with advertisements during the pauses and sometimes even during the film itself, which is annoying, but you get used to it after a while).

tl;dr: nothing wrong with advertisements, as long as the people that look at them understand that they don't necessarily need that which is being advertised. Besides, most things that get advertisements are things that nearly no one would want anyway.

For once I agree with you natie.

I don't think many Americans "fall" for advertising anymore.(except for little kid cuz you know). In fact, Americans are now starting to ignore television and radio commercials. Have any of found yourself completely phased out during a commercial break? The only time i pay attention to advertising is when i see something i really want. Like pokemon games for example. I don't give a shiz about the advertisement, but i am glad to see the commercial.

speedygallade

Gallade Lover
Personally I do not mind ads. As long as they don't put subliminal messaging in them I'm perfectly okay with them. People need to promote products, when you do it on television at least it will get some attention.

FireTheAbsolLord

Bad Username
It depends on what kind of advertisments they are. If it seems fun I have to force myself not to go to it. I hate those *YOU ARE THE 1-------- VISITOR! CLICK HERE TO OPTIAN YOUR PRICE!* I hate those! It depends on what they are. If there like those honey nut cheerios things....those just seem weird but I don't mind them.