• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Advice for Aspiring Authors

Hahahabvc87

Always watching...
I was just going over my revision notes for my last exam tomorrow when I found something useful: the Gunning Fog index. It basically estimates how complex the words and sentences in your whole story are.

Step 1: Take 100 words from the story.

Step 2: Count the average number of words per sentence.

Step 3: Count the percentage of polysyllables (3 or more syllables), except:
a) proper nouns (names of people, places, stuff)
b) combination words (e.g. motorbike, another)

Step 4: (step 2 + step 3) X 0.4 = GF index

Score and what it means:

Below 7: Too simple.
7 - 13: Acceptable.
13 - 17; Complex.
Above 17: Very complex, virtually unreadable.

Ideal score for easily understandable fics: 10 - 12

Remember, this is only an estimate, so don't worry too much if the score is slightly off target. Hopefully this will help people design smooth-flowing stories!

Orange_Flaaffy

Jello Pokéballs
I would do my editing the other way around, I only add and never delete. In my case it is never a matter of too much being written in one place but too little.
To add to the making pokemon seem real idea I think it is important to remember that pokemon can have character and still act and think alot like normal animals. Too many authors get into the habit of just making pokemon little people, which I've never liked much, unless they are human and pokemon mixes of some sort.
Being more animal like (like in the game and the manga) does not have to mean your pokemon would have any less character to work with, as anyone who has ever had a pet they loved knows :).

nashie1

Pokemon shouldnt just be tools that only become important when captured. Any good writer that a character needs quirks and flaws and optionally a decent backstory so why souldn't pokemon? i was just saying that maybe authors could draw influence from real animals for some pokemon especially pokemon like Flaafy and Marrep who are based on sheep.

Last edited by a moderator:

chosen_one386

Angel of Chaos
My three cents would be to add something special about your world in your fic, something not found in the games, anime, or manga.

For example (STEAL MY IDEA AND DIE!), in my fics, all of the people in Southern Japan (where the Pokemon world is) are half-Pokemon and half-human with the powers of the type they are.

For example, say, Christy is a fire type. She can use fire moves such as fire punch and blaze kick and so on. Plus, her normal body temperature is ten times greater than a regular human's is.

Make something origional up.

But, if I see my idea floating around in a fic somewhere and that fic is not mine, then I'll be mad.

Very mad....

Tezza

Bird Master
Gosh, may as well advertise it. The Pidgeot in my link, Higher Pokemon Guide, is a disorganised list of tutes I composed. So far there are ones dedicated to better detail, a few definitions of Mary Sue and other tips.

Yami Ryu

chosen_one386 said:
My three cents would be to add something special about your world in your fic, something not found in the games, anime, or manga.

For example (STEAL MY IDEA AND DIE!), in my fics, all of the people in Southern Japan (where the Pokemon world is) are half-Pokemon and half-human with the powers of the type they are.

Not only do most if not all- well not all-all writers, know to make a fic original. But Chosen, your idea has already been done 4356789845 times by as many or more authors. For animals, pokemon, myths, etc and so forth. Your attempt at originality, is already un original. To make it original you need to make the story itself original, or give it a good twist. :/ like 'Hoodwinked' was for Little Red Riding Hood, or Shrek for all the fairy tales. Things like that.

AgentChronon

I <3 Buoysel
Here is my two or three cents. You don't have to agree with me. I reccomend just not using legendaries at all. Especially not capturing a legendary. Even if its like "OMG I DID NOT CAPTURE IT T3H LEGENDARY CAME TO ME CUZ I WAS NISE." I think that there should be no reason to really do that because that really takes away from the drama of the story. Another thing is you probably shouldn't rely on legendaries to provide drama, even if they're evil. That has already been done a lot too.

seiniyta

Beginning Trainer

Very mad....

Did you know that DeviantArt has a special section for it? It is called anthro. Try it: type Anthro Pokemon in search bar.
So you can't be mad of using such characters.
Almost forgetting. try pokemorph.com. Many of those anthro's you can find there.

Xtra

You will be missed:(
I'm the original Pucchiemon from Pojo (you spelled it wrong, by the way). And I don't mind you using a refrence from one of my old stories.

rybo5000

<- so cute <3
Hi im currently writing my fanfic "The Jirachi Hunt" and no it isnt a starts his journey then ends with him as pokemon champion with loads of legendarys. No im trying to write it how pokemon would be like if it were real!
But anyway what i need is help on how to write battle scenes, below is basically what i wrote last time and it was crap
Munchlax lunged foward with his fist outward, it striked Zubat in it's head and the injured pokemon shook and feel to the floor. Gastly then turned towards Bedlum, it's fangs exposed it flew forwards and bit it.
And thats the improved version!!!!!! I know i desperatly need help, its hard to write battles!
HELP ME!

Thank you I have read and i will do. Sorry about the 1st chapter of my story.i am ten in real life and i hate to do all the grammer stuff. I will now do what the rules are.

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
I'd like to throw a few pennies into this intellectual piggy bank, if you don't mind. Nothing pleases me more than seeing others asking questions, striving to improve, or just making an honest attempt to take criticism as it comes (although many writers abhor the latter).

Firstly, re-read, re-read, re-read! I can't tell you how many times I've thought I was done with a scene or chapter afters days upon days of typing and hand cramps associated with it and BAM--a typo or grammatical error catches my eye. It is for this reason that all aspiring fanfiction writers (and veterans alike) have beta readers.

Generally, a beta reader is a trusted friend or fanfiction enthusiast who works alongside the writer in the eve of the writing process. A beta reader can help with almost any aspect of fanfiction, I for one have learned how essential they are to the success of a story the hard way.

My beta readers are not only my friends, but they are also the ones who put a "perverbial leash on my ego," so to speak. Simply, while my elders tend to praise my work with nothing more than a second glance, my betas are eager to tell me everything little detail that bothered them. Often times they object to my constant habit of over-complicating the simple and offer plausible alternatives. But we have a mutual relationship of sorts; I am more than willing to offer my services as an editor to the fray.

If and when you do manage to secure a beta reader, remember the golden rule: You do not have to take everything they suggest into consideration. The converse is also true--if you insist on ignoring every single word of constructive nay-say, your beta readers will most likely opt out on the argument that you're too immature to want to improve. I know that I would much rather spend my time doing other, more productive things if I was in such a situation.

That aside, I notice that one class of Pokemon fanfiction has yet to be addressed in this thread: Crossovers.

In the fanfiction community as a whole, crossovers have a dubious reputation as being the anti-thesis of canon virtue and sterility. Contrary to popular belief, crossovers are necessary and can be very enjoyable if precautions are taken and the story itself is well-written. For example, Kingdom Hearts is in many ways an assortment of individual crossovers combined into a unique, unprecedented and surprisingly thrilling whole. Crossovers can add a new dimension to what was old about Pokemon (or any canon for that matter) and make it new once again.

The following guidelines can be applied to any series, not just Pokemon (I will give examples from a collaborative-crossover AU Naruto-Bleach fanfiction project one of my betas and I are working on. My examples will involve Naruto and Bleach characters for this reason):

1. Clichés are the enemy. This is one of the reasons crossovers aren't liked. Don't just make characters interact in order to appease your curiosity.

Seriously, come up with a storyline besides, "ZOMG NARTUO FEL IN SUM DIMENSHONAL WURMHOLE & HELPZ ICHIGO FIGHT TEH HOLLOWZ!!1!11" or vice-versa because if you favor this archetype, any attempt at writing will be seen as futile. Fundamentally, a shallow plotline is a bad plotline.

Take the collab I'm working on, for example. My friend and I separated five characters (Naruto, Kiba, Ichigo, Renji and Shuuhei; if you were wondering) from the rest of the joint-cast and focused on their issues as teenagers in Tokyo (ah, the advantages and prospects of the AU genre). Not to say that their friends don't have their own issues, or that their teachers are saints among sinners, but it's more inconvenient to approach a story in an all-encompassing manner; that would make things too complicated. Which brings me to my next point---

2. An overly-broad scope is unyieldy and pointless. Don't shift your focus from character to character constantly, it's a hassle to reorient oneself on a scene-by-scene basis. And please--select one setting for the fic and stick to it! (Unless the canon in question is something like Kingdom Hearts or Resevoir Chronicle Tsubasa.) That doesn't mean you should narrow the focus to twenty-plus individual musings and pointless soliloquys of two characters throughout the entire story, but don't go so far as to write a chapter single-handedly narrating fifty-someodd characters' thought processes and get nowhere in doing so.

3. If you are one for the "suggestive genre", don't be afraid to experiment. A word of caution: There is such a thing as too much of a good thing; crack!pairings and crack!ships have a tendency to generate an ungodly number of flames on some sites.

4. Avoid using more than two series at a time when possible. This is a rule of thumb; a jumble of multiple series involving hundreds of characters has a habit of confusing a majority of your audience unless you write with the skill and poise of an Oxford graduate. (Again, Kingdom Hearts and Resevoir Chronicle Tsubasa are exceptions.)

5. Don't keep affiliation uniform. If the characters are supposed to work together, don't make things harder then they have to be. They shouldn't agree on everything, but they also shouldn't be excessively distrusting of foreigners because "S/he's different than me". (Outside of reason, in regard to the occasional friction between two or more characters, of course.)

Also, do not presume that villains will instantly become friends and form "an alliance made in hell" in an effort to destroy the heroes once and for all. Each antagonist has their own personal interests in mind and would typically be unable to reach a compromise with someone as like-minded as themselves goal-wise. (This is not always the case. Usuallly, if some sort of alliance is made, one person or side is often "pulling the strings" and doing a bulk of the decision-making in comparison to the other.)

Remember, not all things are black and white; a good guy from one series can be manipulated by the villain of another under false pretense, etcetera.

I guess that's all I have to say at the moment. Feel free to add to this or comment as seen fit. =3

rybo5000

<- so cute <3
hi i said above that i needed help writing battles because until i learn how to my fanfic is blank!!!! lol
And that series of pokemon battles was no help as it was all humour and no battle!
I really need advice on how to write good battles! Please PM if you have a fanfic with an efffective battle scene or anything!
HELP!
Thanks bye

Orange_Flaaffy

Jello Pokéballs
hi i said above that i needed help writing battles because until i learn how to my fanfic is blank!!!! lol
And that series of pokemon battles was no help as it was all humour and no battle!
I really need advice on how to write good battles! Please PM if you have a fanfic with an efffective battle scene or anything!
HELP!
Thanks bye

Try watching fighting action movies, or even better, play one of the pokemon games and then do some writing exercises where you flesh out how the battle happened by picturing it as if it really happened AKA why would such and such attack miss? If than attack they used had no effect how would the pokemon react? Does a basic attack like Tackle vary in style when different pokemon use it?
Watching the anime can also give you ideas :)

Mello

Serial Fangirl
Here's another little tip. Your going to build up tension, and get more reviews, if you end the chapters with cliffhangers. Don't do too many, as it'll get cliched over time, but build up some suspense. It makes a good story.

Also, another note on cliches. DON'T DO THEM. If you find your hands automatically going to type something, because you've typed it so many times before, it's getting old. Sometimes one cliche or two are funny, such as Wobbufett popping out of it's pokeball everytime TR say their motto, or Psyduck always getting in Misty's way, but don't do too many cliches. Even when you are deliberately doing them for humor, do it sparingly.

Also, give your characters weaknesses. Don't make them overpowerful. Even Mewtwo had weaknesses, and while he physically powerful, mentally, he didn't know anything of love. He made a great chatacter all the same.

Leon Phelps

Don't Tread on Me
Growlie! said:
Here's another little tip. Your going to build up tension, and get more reviews, if you end the chapters with cliffhangers. Don't do too many, as it'll get cliched over time, but build up some suspense. It makes a good story.
That isn't always the best thing to do. Constant cliffhangers can be annoying, especially when they aren't needed. I understand if it's pivotal to the plot or if the chapter has been long enough, but otherwise they should be avoided.

nashie1

My view on legendaries.
Don't use them. They can really ruin a story if not dealt with properly and are best left out completely.

If you do plan on using legendaries then here are a couple pointers:
*Never have them as starter pokemon.
*Never have a newbie trainer catch it in the first day of their adventure.
* Try to veer away from the character actually catching the legendary.

The first 2 especially can immediatly throw people off your story. After all would you buy a novel that can be summed up as "L0LZ im a n00b andz i cort a legendary, Ph34r my l33t skiLLz?."? Well?

Also, I need some help, my writing always seems to linear and boring, anyone got some tips to avoid this?

EDIT: Thought of another tip. Show don't tell. Which sounds better to you?
*Max and Amy woke up in a cage.
OR
*As Max and Amy woke up, they felt the cold metal beneath them and saw the unmistakable iron bars of a cage surround them from each side.

Last edited:

Orange_Flaaffy

Jello Pokéballs
If you are writing in first person make sure the characters thoughts match their age and background. A ten year old trainer from the breeding farm is not going to have the same wording in his thoughts and storytelling as a twenty year old Team Rocket member.
No matter how all knowing you think you are at seventeen chances are you are not going to be using uncommon thesaurus rich words in your every spoken word and how you view the world. Detail is one thing, but realism in point of view is important to :)

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
I have a question, do you have to describe clothes everytime they change into a new one? Or even from the start of the fanfic?