• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Advice for my Team?

pokegg.jpg

There is still a few kinks to work out but I would love any feedback!​

CurbstompCubone

AHH! A GHOST!
Seems like it's doing fine, I'd teach your magnezone something to erase either thunderbolt or discharge, in case of ground/volt absorb

Larry

Get rid of hyper beam on Dragonite. Teach it Waterfall and possibly Outrage.

Awesome, well at least I'm on the right track. Is Waterfall all that better in comparison? I may go with Outrage though! I was thinking of getting him tutored with Draco Meteor.

Also, CurbstompCubone, what would you suggest instead of Discharge because I think I'll keep Thunderbolt :D

Last edited:

Terra Force

<-- Current Hunt
For Empoleon, give him Flash Cannon. Then replace either surf or scald with drill peck.

For D-Nite, remove Hyper Beam. Give him Outrage, Fly, Dragon CLaw, and Waterfall.

For Typhlosion, Solarbeam is sorta bad without sun. Consider getting sunny day instead of smokescreen.

For magnezone, get rid of Magnet Bomb for Flash Cannon. Also get rid of discharge.

For CHandelure, use this: Flamethrower, Shadow Ball, Energy Ball, Psychic.

So my team will go like this:

Empoleon: Flash Cannon, Drill Peck, Surf, Ice Beam (I may wanna replace Flash Cannon with another Water Type move though)
Typhlosion: Flamethrower, Eruption, Smokescreen and ? (I think I'll replace Solar Beam)
Magnezone: Flash Cannon, Thunderbolt, Thunder Wave and ? (Need something else instead of Discharge)
Chandelure: Flamethrower, Shadow Ball, Energy Ball and Double Team (I dunno about removing Double Team or giving Energy Ball but I could try it and see)
Dragonite: Outrage, Fly, Dragon Claw and Draco Meteor (Draco Meteor is pretty awesome and I'd like to take that)

I like the way that looks, maybe a few minor changes but I like the suggestions, they're getting me thinking.

ZeroEdgeir

You won't need Double Team, fear not. Chandelure is pretty much the scariest Special sweeper outside of Legendaries, with that ridiculous base 145 Special Attack. Flamethrower and Shadow Ball for STAB, Energy Ball covers Water, Rock, and Ground (3 of his weaknesses), and Psychic lets him melt Poisons and Fightings (which he will be great to switch in on the Fightings, since their Fighting moves can't hit him).

For Typhlosion... if you wanted to re-train one and breed for it, you could get him Extrasensory, a Psychic move. Would be a nice surprise value. And despite him being more of a Special user, I wouldn't hesitate to give him Earthquake. It's just all around reliably awesome. And his Attack vs Special Attack isn't TOO hugely different.

For Magnezone, my best recommendation originally would be Tri-Attack, but you have to get that while he is still a Magneton (so, re-training involved). Not much else I see that is too great for him, if he is already on a 5th Gen game. If he is still in 4th Gen Land (or you can get one from there), you can Tutor him Signal Beam, which gives some diverse coverage.

Really, having more than 1 type of attack is, in most cases, far from needed. Even against the Elite 4 and Champion. Most of your shots should be 1H or 2HKOs. Even less important if you opt to goto the Battle Subway.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Tyranitar
Adamant Nature
~Rock Slide
~Earthquake
~Crunch
~Dragon Dance

Sand Stream hurts half of your team, by the way.
It's not just the HP loss either, Sandstorm weather also reduce accuracy. And Sand Stream gives permanent Sandstorm.
That's why Tyranitar is usually used only on Sandstorm team.

Magnezone
Modest/Calm Nature
~Thunderbolt
~Flash Cannon
~Tri Attack/Signal Beam/Hidden Power [anything not Electric/Steel/Poison]
~Thunder Wave

Magnezone has quite a limited movepool....

Chandelure
Modest Nature
~Flamethrower
~Energy Ball
~Shadow Ball
~Calm Mind

Grass takes care of 3 out of its 5 weaknesses, so yeah Energy Ball is needed.

Typhlosion
Naughty/Lonely Nature
~Flamethrower
~Rock Slide
~Earthquake
~Return/Thunderpunch

A mixed set that leans more towards the physical side. Despite having higher SAtk, its movepool is more on the physical side, similar to Sceptile.

Dragonite
Adamant/Jolly Nature
~Dragon Claw
~Earthquake
~Fire Punch
~Aerial Ace

Fire + Dragon already hits everything in the game for at least neutral damage, except Heatran. Heatran gets hit hard by Ground. Though it's not like you'll meet one outside Subway anyway.....and that's if Heatran does appear in Subway. Earthquake is a powerful attack anyway, so having it is a good idea, regardless of Heatran appearing or not.

Empoleon
Modest Nature
~Surf
~Ice Beam
~Grass Knot
~Flash Cannon

the classic set from 4th Gen that still works in 5th Gen

Aw guys, that advice has been great. Thanks for explaining the need for stuff as well, I'll mod them and see how it goes but as far as I can see all the bases would be covered here.

Really appreciate your help ZeroEdgeir and Shine!

jab2033

I have noticed a few major weaknesses type-wise.

3 Pokemon (Tyranitar, Typhlosion, and Chandelure) are weak to Water and Ground.
3 Pokemon (Tyranitar, Magnezone, and Empoleon) are weak to Fighting as well.

That's three major weaknesses. Since Tyranitar's Sandstorm hurts more than helps, why not replace it with something to cover Water and Fighting types? A Psychic-type that learns Thunderbolt perhaps? Reuniclus comes to mind:

Reuniclus:
-Calm Mind
-Psychic
-Thunderbolt
-Recover

Last edited:
The point of having Tyranitar was to have a good defensive pokemon with a great attack. I tried Snorlax and he seemed to do well it's just Tyranitar was pretty good too.

Any suggestions for a pokemon that fills that placement? Would Snorlax do the job? I mean, he's an awesome pokemon with some pretty diverse moves but then again he's weak against fighting but that's all, he'd hold up against water types and ground to an extent. Any ideas?

jab2033

Yes, Snorlax is good, but again, you'll have 3 weak to Fighting. That's half your team. But if you want to go with Snorlax, there are a couple of things you can do.

-Body Slam/Return
-Crunch/Fire Punch
-Rest
-Sleep Talk

This RestTalk set is designed to make use of Snorlax's natural bulk to survive. Sleep Talk allows it to attack while asleep. Body Slam can be used for Paralysis change, while Return is for overally power. Crunch hits Ghost Types, while Fire Punch hits Steels.

Crunch
Fire Punch/Thunderpunch/Ice Punch
Body Slam/Return
Earthquake

This is an all-out attacking set. Even though Snorlax is slow, its Atk is fairly decent, and can be used. It all depends on what you want to do.

Keep in mind, in order to have the Elemental Punches on Snorlax in BW, you'll have to Poke Transfer it from a 4th Gen game. And the Elemental Punches are Battle Frontier Move Tutor moves in 4th Gen.

Awesome, thanks! That sounds great. Would there be any option for Psychic on Snorlax as it would at least help him fend off Fighting pokemon?

jab2033

Awesome, thanks! That sounds great. Would there be any option for Psychic on Snorlax as it would at least help him fend off Fighting pokemon?

Unfortunately, no. Snorlax's Special Attack is horrible. That's why I recommended Reuniclus. It can handle Fighting types, while being naturally bulky and having healing in Recover. It's better than Snorlax when you look at your type weaknesses.

Btw, how did you make that team banner in the first post?

Last edited:

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Keep in mind, in order to have the Elemental Punches on Snorlax in BW, you'll have to Poke Transfer it from a 4th Gen game. And the Elemental Punches are Battle Frontier Move Tutor moves in 4th Gen.

Elemental Punches are easier to obtain in Platinum, they are still Move Tutor moves, but requires shards instead of BP, and you can find plenty of them in the Underground.
Not to mention the NPC is reachable as soon as you can access Pastoria, as the NPC's house is located on the route on the left of Pastoria.

Also, just to add, 3rd Gen Snorlax can get Elemental Punches as well, they are Battle Frontier Move Tutor moves in Emerald.

Dragontamer1011

Please note that my suggestions are very loose and missing ALOT of detail. You didn't have any of the other details, however, so I guess you don't mind that. These suggestion are only suggested for the default AI (Which I'm guessing is what you use it for mostly)

Empoleon
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Flash Cannon
-Hidden Power

Not sure about his set, If hidden power is a different type then your other attacks, use it, otherwise something else.

Dragonite
-Dragon Dance
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Aqua Tail

Insanely powerful and anything that Dragon Claw and Earthquake don't affect you can use Aqua Tail for.

Typhlosion
-Focus Blast
-Flamethrower
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide/ Hidden Power?

Not a good set, but Typhlosion really has limited options. Honestly, whatever you prefer is good over earthquake and rockslide, like hidden power, or I guess solarbeam is ok for normal AI trainers.

Tyranitar
-Stone Edge
-Crunch
-Rock Polish/Aerial Ace?
-Earthquake

Tyranitar is slow so Rock Polish could really help at the start of the battle, unless you plan on switching him out, aerial ace helps with fighting types.

Magnezone
-Mirror Coat/ Thunderwave
-Thunderbolt
-Flash Cannon
-Volt Switch/ Hidden Power

Rather limited movepool, but its not too bad. Mirror coat is useful for fast SpA users, thunderwave is to slow a pokemon then dish out the hurt. Volt Switch can be used as more of a scout role (Even though hes slow), but hidden power could provide coverage.

Chandelure
-Flamethrower
-Energy Ball
-Shadow Ball
-Psychic

Good as a Special Attacker, you could make use of Calm Mind in there to boost his attacks, but its not necessary for the most part.

Again, you didn't provide me with a broad spectrum to interpret, but thats not a huge deal if your in it just for the fun :)

Btw, how did you make that team banner in the first post?

I just used excel :) I was doing it up for myself really then just screenshot it and stuck it up here. I can send you the excel file I used if you want to use it.

Dragontamer1011, I changed my Tyranitar to a Snorlax with this move set:

-Heavy Slam
-Crunch
-Rest
-Sleep Talk

As jab2033 said above; however I've changed Body Slam to Heavy Slam as Snorlax is pretty big so that's been dealing a good bit of damage. The only thing that is wrong with it is that, against large enemies it's a bit weaker but still pretty good.

Is Body Slam better or should I stick with Heavy Slam. I like the Rest/Sleep Talk combo and I would love to try the:

Crunch
Fire Punch/Thunderpunch/Ice Punch
Body Slam/Return
Earthquake

However I can't get my Snorlax back to Gen IV so that means raising a totally new Snorlax, also, when Black and White came out I pretty much hoarded my Pokémon SoulSilver for Pokémon and I've only started Platinum so all that work for Elemental Punches doesn't seem worth it when the first skill set is working pretty good.

jab2033

I just used excel :) I can send you the excel file I used if you want to use it.

Please do!

As far as Heavy Slam vs Body Slam, it all depends if you like the paralysis chance. It's basically a preference choice.