• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Advice thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
Erm, monkeys and apes split off as two separate lineages from the prosimians. Hominids then split off from the apes, eventually giving rise to humans. Sorry, I couldn't let the wrongness pass :S

@ Dattebayo: It's perfectly easy to reconcile evolution with religion. When Darwin published The Origin of Species, the Church had no problem with it; they had, by and large, accepted Genesis as a myth created to explain what couldn't be explained, and were perfectly happy to beleive that God created the universe and then let things happen.

I don't know what's gone so very wrong since then.

Hell, Darwin himself believed in God; he says so in the last line of Origin of Species. Then his daughter died and he became Agnostic... but that was for philosophical reasons. Well, I guess scientific reasons are philosophical, too... but that wasn't it either way.

Anyway! People think that God and evolution have to be separate because they put God in a box. They think that God's existance depend upon the attributes they assign him. I used to struggle with evolution. I didn't want to believe in it because the idea that it was true scared me. I saw all the logical flaws of Creationists, but... well, I just tried to avoid it.

I got over it eventually, of course. My fear wasn't grounded in reality. The church is what told me that evolution and God couldn't coexist. And it's a really harmful idea. It scares people into making themselves ignorant. It also makes believers in God look stupid, makes the whole idea of God look flawed. It really bugs me...

Auxis

Yes! Wait... No.
I'm in love with someone...
But we just met.
And she doesn't know me.
And we never talk.
But the back of her head is very attractive.
Advice on how to approach her?
I'm a 'nerd...'

Zazie

So 1991
I'm in love with someone...
But we just met.
And she doesn't know me.
And we never talk.
But the back of her head is very attractive.
Advice on how to approach her?
I'm a 'nerd...'

Try asking for her name. That's a good way to show interest without coming off as too creepy and it may allow you to speak with her again and maybe find out more about her.

ianflowforever

Coordinator Plus
Should I stay at home, and have a better chance of getting to go to the store to get the new hg or ss game?
Or, should I go with my step dad to drop my little sister off at her grandmother's, and on the way there, go to a gamestop, reserve a copy of hg or ss, and get to search at my step grandmother's for my copy of diamond?
Or, should I do the 2nd option, yet, end up going over to my dad's, and on sunday, go home, and get the game I reserved?

Oh, and bad news, in my city, we've run out of reserves for the soul silver copy (meaning it's likely that we won't be able to get a copy of soul silver at the target).
Bad news also, my little sister wants soul silver, and yet she originally wanted heart gold, I'm having trouble convincing her of getting heart gold, any ideas?

I need to convince her, because she'll whine (scream and moan too, like a banshee), that we have the same game, meaning we won't get to trade exclusive pokemon.
Though, I don't want heart gold, I want soul silver, and, I want to be able to trade, plus, a close friend of mine is planning on getting heart gold, so, if I don't get soul silver, me and him won't really have much to trade, and, I really don't like trading with my little sister.
(She always asks for unreasonable things, like when I asked her to get me a houndoom (preferably female) on her pearl game, she told me the requirement was a tyranitar*, and she would never trade otherwise. She didn't accept a larvitar (or, after a while, a pupitar), and she started crying and whining, when she found out I got a female houndoom in a trade (thanks to serebii).)

I also need advice on how to get her to stop crying, yelling, and moaning about the fact that I used pal park to transfer MY Jirachi, and MY Zapdos to MY pokemon Diamond game. She also says that she'll only stop if I give her both of MY pokemon for her to keep, and that I won't get them back.**

*I still only have a pupitar
**I earned them, and put the effort into it to get them, and I don't think I should have to deal with her making such a fuss over it.

DarkMammoth

Lover of silly memes
I'm assuming she's a little kid, yeah? *****in' and moanin' is what they do. Just get SoulSilver, since you don't like trading with her anyway. And don't give her your Pokemon. (Remember kids, just say "No".) Note that there's no way she's not gonna complain about it. But she really has nothing to legitmately argue about on her side.

At the same time though, don't be a jerk and talk down to her. That'll only make her worse. Just say what you mean without saying it meanly.

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
I have a slight delema:

My High School just jumped classifications for football divisions (2A to 3A) And thats a big change in divisions.
For those of you who know football, my head football coach has this.... "philosiphy" that is you continue to run the ball over over over and OVER again, we should win.
Problem though: We never pass. We are a very predictable team.
Now thats not the end of it. schools in 3A are pass heavy teams. The schools we are playing against are nothing but 'em.
When you pit a pass happy team verses a run heavy team, pass happy is going to win if they can stop the run EVERY TIME.
The issue is that we (not just me, but all JV and Varsity players) is that we are going to get our ases kicked next year. We don't want that to happen.
So i've been thinking: Should i and couple other guys approach the coach and say we should switch defenses and offensive playbooks? And reform the offense and defense to a balanced system?

I wanna do that, but if we do this, we are running the risk of getting yelled at for "acting like a smartass to the head coach" and we we'll get runned to death.

Zazie

So 1991
I have a slight delema:

My High School just jumped classifications for football divisions (2A to 3A) And thats a big change in divisions.
For those of you who know football, my head football coach has this.... "philosiphy" that is you continue to run the ball over over over and OVER again, we should win.
Problem though: We never pass. We are a very predictable team.
Now thats not the end of it. schools in 3A are pass heavy teams. The schools we are playing against are nothing but 'em.
When you pit a pass happy team verses a run heavy team, pass happy is going to win if they can stop the run EVERY TIME.
The issue is that we (not just me, but all JV and Varsity players) is that we are going to get our ases kicked next year. We don't want that to happen.
So i've been thinking: Should i and couple other guys approach the coach and say we should switch defenses and offensive playbooks? And reform the offense and defense to a balanced system?

I wanna do that, but if we do this, we are running the risk of getting yelled at for "acting like a smartass to the head coach" and we we'll get runned to death.

I think it is worth a shot as long as you try to do it politely. The coach's goal is to help you win and if you clearly aren't winning using your current tactics he should change them.

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
I think it is worth a shot as long as you try to do it politely. The coach's goal is to help you win and if you clearly aren't winning using your current tactics he should change them.

Its not that we aren't winning under the current system, its just that the system that we are in is like a death wish moving up to 3A.

Thank you Glass Eye, I'll start gathering up guys to ask.

Krake

Flabebe's Kids
I never wanted to ask about it here, but this has kind of been bothering me as of late.

My school's prom is next month, and I wanted to ask my crush out. The problem is that she's a grade younger than I am, so I never get to talk to her on a regular basis. I've tried catching her at her locker, but I haven't been able to recently.

What should I do?

I never wanted to ask about it here, but this has kind of been bothering me as of late.

My school's prom is next month, and I wanted to ask my crush out. The problem is that she's a grade younger than I am, so I never get to talk to her on a regular basis. I've tried catching her at her locker, but I haven't been able to recently.

What should I do?

Does she have a facebook or anything? If so you can send her a message making a place and date to meet so you can ask her.

Other than that the only other thing I'd say is try to talk to one of her friends and let them know that you're interested in the girl.

OR YOU CAN GO TOTALLY STALKER AND FIND OUT HER SCHEDULE AND WAIT FOR HER AFTER CLASS! x3
though I wouldn't recommend that because I'd think the majority of girls find that really scary. I know I do. :X

Zazie

So 1991
I have recently started seeing a friend again after a good year and a half of barely seeing her. I would like to hang out againg like we used to but it's a little awkward after such a long period of time since I don't know where my standing is anymore. There wasn't any particular reason for not seeing her in a while and she did give me her phone number again a few days ago after I lost but I am still a little nervous about trying make plans to do something as I don't know if that would be overstepping any boundaries. Am I just being paranoid over nothing here?

Krake

Flabebe's Kids
Does she have a facebook or anything? If so you can send her a message making a place and date to meet so you can ask her.

Other than that the only other thing I'd say is try to talk to one of her friends and let them know that you're interested in the girl.

OR YOU CAN GO TOTALLY STALKER AND FIND OUT HER SCHEDULE AND WAIT FOR HER AFTER CLASS! x3
though I wouldn't recommend that because I'd think the majority of girls find that really scary. I know I do. :X

-I'm friends with her on FaceBook. I try talking to her on chat, but she never responds. I guess your suggestion of sending a message to meet somewhere and ask her would be good.

-Someone in my Conditioning class (which is weights and running) knows that I like her and want to ask her to prom. She actually knows that I like her because I'm pretty sure one of her friends told her (but not the same one).

-I know where her locker is and that she usually goes to it after 2nd hour, but I don't talk to her then (at least not that much) because I feel that if I do so, she might think that I'm a creeper.

ianflowforever

Coordinator Plus
I'm assuming she's a little kid, yeah? *****in' and moanin' is what they do. Just get SoulSilver, since you don't like trading with her anyway. And don't give her your Pokemon. (Remember kids, just say "No".) Note that there's no way she's not gonna complain about it. But she really has nothing to legitmately argue about on her side.

At the same time though, don't be a jerk and talk down to her. That'll only make her worse. Just say what you mean without saying it meanly.

I pretty much decided to do that (only reading post now).
And now, she's fine that we have the same game.

Also, I'm trying to decide, should I go power house strategy (only really fight with one pokemon, which is what I usually do*), or should I try to keep my entire team 1-3 levels in range of the highest one**?

*What my little sis is doing now I think
** What I'm trying to do now (a bit of a pain in the butt though))

shadow wolf

The one and only!
I say team, it is fun, just battle every trainer and wild pokemon you see, It makes it alot easier. Just my opinion.

Grass Guardian

Rags to Riches
Meh, play the game how you enjoy playing it best. If you're going to burn 40+ hours of your life holding that DS, you might as well do it in the way that makes you happiest. Personally, I have the habit of raising my whole team equally except for my starter. My starter is always one level above.

Electric

Prom 2010 Problems

I want to go to Prom at my school, but I'm kinda poor this year. I've been saving money since like September, and I really think I will go, even if I can't get a suit, tuxedo vest, etc, I will go. I WILL GO. Anyways here's the costs:

First of all, I'm the guy so I'm expected to pay...
Single ticket: $50 <--- I can't get this because sophomores can't really go unless they have a junior/senior date.
Double ticket: $100 <--- I need this.
After Prom single: $10 <--- can't get it :(
After Prom double: $20

Total: $120
Total if I choose late prices: $150...

Well I only have $60 right now... what do I do? I'm going to my grandma's farm and I will soon ask her for work (feeding the cows/chickens/horses/etc.) for hopefully at least $20. Then I can mow people's lawns? But the problem is that I can't mow a lawn all at once, I usually take a break, and it's often hard for me to start the mower up again. So I'm going to sell my Silver DS Lite for at least $60...

But that's still not enough! What else is needed is:
-Dinner: who knows how much that can cost?
-Suit: expensive
-Tuxedo vest: cheap
-White dress shirt? I have a black one and I guess it's acceptable.
-Dress shoes: yes I know I lack things.
-Same colored tie as the color of the dress of my date: hopefully she chooses pink or I will need to buy one
And all of that might be like $60-90 total (my dad get's a 15-20% discount at Macys so I'm lucky.)

So here's something to consider: Do I make the girl pay for her ticket? I mean she usually has to pay for her dress, then to get her nails and hair done which is like $200+ and I would feel bad making her pay for her ticket, but I don't think I can absolutely pay for everything else. I don't have a job because my parents won't let me. So what is you opinion on this mess? Prom is May 15 and tickets go on sale starting April 19th, and I need to ACT QUICKLY! I am worried to the point where I think about it 24/7.

Meg Is Hoenn's Champ

Meg Is Hoenn's Champ
Hey, I need some 'advice' please.

How do I know if a friend, might like me as more then a friend?

I've been best friends with this fifteen almost sixteen year old boy (I'm sixteen) for around five-6 months, and he always calls me everyday and I get invited over to his house alot to hang out and talk. He knows that I like him as more then a friend and is constantly teasing me about it and hugging me etc just to embarrass me. My parents personally think that he likes me as more then a friend but I would like to know someone else's opinion on this?

Darato

(o,..,o)
You should try joking around the subject a little. When he hugs you and such, say "Looks like you like me back" or something along those lines. He might try and hide it, but you should be able to get at least some idea out of it.

L.F.D.

Darato

(o,..,o)
You should try joking around the subject a little. When he hugs you and such, say "Looks like you like me back" or something along those lines. He might try and hide it, but you should be able to get at least some idea out of it.

L.F.D.

Status
Not open for further replies.