• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Advice thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meg Is Hoenn's Champ

Meg Is Hoenn's Champ
Ok, thanks alot Darato. :)

shadow wolf

The one and only!
My Ipod was corrupted I got it fixed, and then tried to download songs but did not get the ones I wanted so tried it a couple of times, and I got a corruption again and now the Ipod is frozen, any suggestions on what I should do or what it is.

It's the special edition U2

Darkmagiciangirl

OpInIoNaTeD at <3
You can go to some techno guru to fix it, other than that try setting up an I-tunes program at a different computer.

Hope you get your I-pod fixed!:) (I have one myself...)

An00bis

Wicked Witch
I want to go to Prom at my school, but I'm kinda poor this year. I've been saving money since like September, and I really think I will go, even if I can't get a suit, tuxedo vest, etc, I will go. I WILL GO. Anyways here's the costs:

... you're a sophomore who wants to go to the Prom? The Prom is usually a special event meant to be a celebration for Seniors so unless you really are a Senior and want to go to the prom you should reconsider going this year. If you're a Sophomore there will be another chance for you to go to the Prom and hopefully by then you will know what's expected of you and be fully prepared with everything except for your ticket which you would've hopefully saved enough for at that point. If you are a Senior you should also reconsider going to the Prom because you simply can't afford it. It sounds as though you won't have enough to go to the Prom even if you have your date meet you halfway.

Doing a light crunching of the numbers you'll likely pay $300-400 for the Prom if you insist on paying for everything. Just some quick things to note in that regard:

1. Set aside $10 for each person and $5 for a tip for dinner. $40 is more then enough for two people at your average casual sit down restraunt (Fridays, Ruby Tuesdays, Outback Steakhouse, IHOP, ect.). You don't want to go to IHOP on Prom Night, btw. It's the number one destination for virtually any celebration and is usually packed to the rim at all hours.

2. Even if you rent a suit you want to own your own Dress Shoes. Why? Dress Shoes are a " must " in any person's wardrobe since they're expected of you in most good paying jobs. A good pair of dress shoes will last you for years so it's an investment you can afford to make now if nothing else.

3. Dress, Hair, and Nails =/= $200+. You'll very likely be paying more for the Prom then your date.

If you must go to this Prom either because you want to go or because you are a Senior now is the time to ask for help financially. Gather a list of your EXACT expenses for the Prom down to the last penny. Figure out every single thing you need and write it down with a $10-20 " buffer " (addition) to account for taxes and unforeseen expenses. Show this number to your parents, your grandparents, your friends, your date, and anyone else you believe can help you our financially and try to cut a deal with them. Maybe they can figure out a way for you to save on your expenses. Maybe you'll help you with a donation or payment for a job done. You'll never know unless you ask them. People are more generous then you may think they are.

In modern society there is no shame in asking your date to meet you halfway with expenses which is why you're showing the numbers to her beforehand. You can either split your " shared expenses " (the tickets, dinner, and transportation) together or agree that she pay for some things while you pay for others. Maybe she'll pay for dinner if you pay for her ticket for example. She'll probably take that deal since dinner will likely be considerably less then what you paid for tickets.

Another idea to consider is getting together a " Prom Group "; a group of couples that will go to the Prom and agree to share the expenses. Four Couples (8 people) would be perfect for this idea. Gather the group and lay out all of your expenses just as you would in the other idea. Before tallying up how much it would cost try to find practical solutions to each other's respective financial problems. Perhaps someone will drive you all to the Prom if you agree to pay for gas which will solve the transportation part of the equation. Maybe one of your guy friends has a matching tie or shoes you could borrow for the night. Another friend might be working at a restruant and be able to get you a discount. Those kinds of things can save the group money in the end along with " pooling ". After you exhausted your resources tally how much tickets and the extras will cost and divide it by how many people are in the group. Nine times out of ten what you pay here will be drastically less then what you'll pay between just you and your date.

I suggest you put everything in writing (who is involved and how much they will pay and for what) and decide on a due date for the payments. You put it in writing so in case someone backs out at the last minute you'll have some leverage against them when confronting them (or their parents) about it.

The Benmeister

Master of Magnet
I have a beard related concern.

For a while now I've had a bald patch under my chin. I've had no problems growing a beard everywhere else on my face - in fact, I've had a rather large set of mutton chops for about fifteen months now. Part of the reason I didn't just grow a full on beard is because of this bald patch.

Upon researching this (and by that I mean Google search the interwebz) I have discovered that it is most probably alopecia areata, and that it is not uncommon, especially in the area specified. However, most sites claim that it usually grows back after anywhere between three to eight months. But well over a year has gone and my patch shows no sign of growing back anytime soon, with the exception of maybe one or two small unnoticeable hairs.

Basically I was curious to know, has anyone else experienced similar problems? If so, how long did your patches take to start growing hair again, and what kind of treatment exists for such a condition? That actually works?

Thanks in advance.

Vermehlo_Steele

Grand Arbiter II
I've a question that may sound a bit n00bish, but hey!

There is a person at school who I want to know better, yet I don't know how to start a conversation with a person that usually I don't speak to. I mean, I have friends and I know how to talk socially, but I've never really walked up to someone and started talking when we don't know each other. So how do I do it without appearing stalkerish/weird?

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
My Ipod was corrupted I got it fixed, and then tried to download songs but did not get the ones I wanted so tried it a couple of times, and I got a corruption again and now the Ipod is frozen, any suggestions on what I should do or what it is.

It's the special edition U2

Leave it on and let it run out of battery life.
Thats what I did, and my iPod came back just fine.

shadow wolf

The one and only!
Thanks guys, it's fixed but hopefully nothing else will happen.

intergalactic platypus

Only rescues maidens
... you're a sophomore who wants to go to the Prom? The Prom is usually a special event meant to be a celebration for Seniors so unless you really are a Senior and want to go to the prom you should reconsider going this year. If you're a Sophomore there will be another chance for you to go to the Prom and hopefully by then you will know what's expected of you and be fully prepared with everything except for your ticket which you would've hopefully saved enough for at that point. If you are a Senior you should also reconsider going to the Prom because you simply can't afford it. It sounds as though you won't have enough to go to the Prom even if you have your date meet you halfway.

Doing a light crunching of the numbers you'll likely pay $300-400 for the Prom if you insist on paying for everything. Just some quick things to note in that regard:

1. Set aside $10 for each person and $5 for a tip for dinner. $40 is more then enough for two people at your average casual sit down restraunt (Fridays, Ruby Tuesdays, Outback Steakhouse, IHOP, ect.). You don't want to go to IHOP on Prom Night, btw. It's the number one destination for virtually any celebration and is usually packed to the rim at all hours.

2. Even if you rent a suit you want to own your own Dress Shoes. Why? Dress Shoes are a " must " in any person's wardrobe since they're expected of you in most good paying jobs. A good pair of dress shoes will last you for years so it's an investment you can afford to make now if nothing else.

3. Dress, Hair, and Nails =/= $200+. You'll very likely be paying more for the Prom then your date.

If you must go to this Prom either because you want to go or because you are a Senior now is the time to ask for help financially. Gather a list of your EXACT expenses for the Prom down to the last penny. Figure out every single thing you need and write it down with a $10-20 " buffer " (addition) to account for taxes and unforeseen expenses. Show this number to your parents, your grandparents, your friends, your date, and anyone else you believe can help you our financially and try to cut a deal with them. Maybe they can figure out a way for you to save on your expenses. Maybe you'll help you with a donation or payment for a job done. You'll never know unless you ask them. People are more generous then you may think they are.

In modern society there is no shame in asking your date to meet you halfway with expenses which is why you're showing the numbers to her beforehand. You can either split your " shared expenses " (the tickets, dinner, and transportation) together or agree that she pay for some things while you pay for others. Maybe she'll pay for dinner if you pay for her ticket for example. She'll probably take that deal since dinner will likely be considerably less then what you paid for tickets.

Another idea to consider is getting together a " Prom Group "; a group of couples that will go to the Prom and agree to share the expenses. Four Couples (8 people) would be perfect for this idea. Gather the group and lay out all of your expenses just as you would in the other idea. Before tallying up how much it would cost try to find practical solutions to each other's respective financial problems. Perhaps someone will drive you all to the Prom if you agree to pay for gas which will solve the transportation part of the equation. Maybe one of your guy friends has a matching tie or shoes you could borrow for the night. Another friend might be working at a restruant and be able to get you a discount. Those kinds of things can save the group money in the end along with " pooling ". After you exhausted your resources tally how much tickets and the extras will cost and divide it by how many people are in the group. Nine times out of ten what you pay here will be drastically less then what you'll pay between just you and your date.

I suggest you put everything in writing (who is involved and how much they will pay and for what) and decide on a due date for the payments. You put it in writing so in case someone backs out at the last minute you'll have some leverage against them when confronting them (or their parents) about it.

Not necessarily. I went to all my proms, because my high school was only 150 kids total so every grade went. And I don't know where you're getting your numbers, cause my ticket alone was 150 every year, and the dresses are usually between 300 and 400, more if you wanna go designer or something

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Strangely, I never really went to the prom.

I didn't go to prom when I was in school, but the tickets were around $40 for a pair, because you weren't allowed to go by yourself. It was kinda dumb, but yeah.

Anyways, its not the end of the world for not going to prom. You have your last two years to go. If its a matter of your popularity or something, forget it. After you graduate, that won't matter.

tl;dr: If you MUST go, find a way to get cash; mow lawns, rake yards, babysit, etc, etc. If its a matter of your popularity, forget about it. It won't matter in the long run. Just wait until you're an upper classman.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
Not necessarily. I went to all my proms, because my high school was only 150 kids total so every grade went.

Not the point. They clearly can't afford to go to the Prom even if they split expenses with their date as it stands. Since this is not their Senior Prom then they should reconsider going this year, save up, and go when they are actually a Senior. It would be less stressful then running yourself ragged trying to scrape together a few hundred dollars for an event you don't have to attend.

And I don't know where you're getting your numbers my ticket alone was 150 every year, and the dresses are usually between 300 and 400, more if you wanna go designer or something

The person who posted the question gave us the ticket price. How much you'll pay for the rest is situational. Regardless it's just plain stupid to pay $300+ for a Prom Dress. It isn't about being frugal. It's about being practical. You'll likely only be able to wear your Prom Dress once either because you think it's " Special " or you grow out of it because you're still a growing teenager.

You can buy a good Prom Dress for well under $100 if you know where to look and when to look. FYI it's cheapest to buy your Prom Dress either when the previous year's Prom season ends and they're doing clearance on unsold dresses or well before the new season begins and the demand is low for the newer dresses.

If its a matter of your popularity or something, forget it. After you graduate, that won't matter.

^ This. Not everyone marries their High School Sweetheart, either.

Last edited:

SnorlaxRules

yeah, i'm the guy that posted the thread about being bi, read that for details, help, thanks

Zazie

So 1991
yeah, i'm the guy that posted the thread about being bi, read that for details, help, thanks

That's really tough question. I just recently came out of the closet myself about being bi. The first thing I did was tell someone trustworthy. Of course you seem to want advice for making ot completely public which I haven't done yet.

I think it would probably be a good idea to not just spring it up on people completely at random. Try finding a good opporitunity to mention it. You probably can just right out tell people who are your friends though. I would reccomend to start out by telling people you are close to about it and then slowly mentioning it to other people as the oppporitunutiy arises.

I don't really have too much personal experience with this, so you may want a second opinion.

Ah blah blah.

So I'm majoring in Video Game Development, right. I've got two options here: Either take this work-study Internship, where I take a job in this field locally, however its unpaid. I get the experience, but zero cash. Or, I could attempt to find a job for money now, but no experience in my field.
There's one position open for my Work/Study Internship in a local company that is developing a game that Facebook commissioned or something like that. As I said, it would be unpaid, but I'd get experience in the video game development industry.
However, I really need the money right now.

Should I go for experience which will help me get a job when I graduate, or get a job for now with no experience for the future?

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
Exactly how badly do you need money?

If it's "I'm going to be homeless/be unable to pay tuition/starve to death" bad, take the job for cash. Otherwise, take the internship! It's hard enough to find jobs in video game related fields without passing up perfectly good job experience, so take this opportunity and be less likely to work at a dead-end retail job the rest of your life. As a bonus you'll see how game development actually works, and if it turns out you don't like it, it's better to find out now instead of when you've already got that degree in hand.

intergalactic platypus

Only rescues maidens
Ah blah blah.

So I'm majoring in Video Game Development, right. I've got two options here: Either take this work-study Internship, where I take a job in this field locally, however its unpaid. I get the experience, but zero cash. Or, I could attempt to find a job for money now, but no experience in my field.
There's one position open for my Work/Study Internship in a local company that is developing a game that Facebook commissioned or something like that. As I said, it would be unpaid, but I'd get experience in the video game development industry.
However, I really need the money right now.

Should I go for experience which will help me get a job when I graduate, or get a job for now with no experience for the future?
Internships are part of college. Pretty essential. I do tons in classrooms for no pay, but I know it's needed to get a job upon graduation. It might be even harder for you, cause the video game industry is competitive and often very sexist. Go for it

I'm in a bit of a dilema here guys.

Just recently, I've been on school holidays and I've met up with one of my previous crushes.(because I now go to a boarding school 2 hours from where I live)We had a nice chat and went our seperate ways. Now I've kept having a small attraction to her since I've been away but it's exploded into much more, like a obsession. I'm asking this because I'm not sure what I do from here, I figured i might keep in contact with her, but I thought then that might not be enough to quell the feelings.

Help gais? Pwease?

Dr. Negligent

First of all figure out how you actually feel. There's a difference between having a girl on your mind and being obsessed. No girl's gonna want to be with you if you're (weirdly) obsessed with her. That brings us to our next point: where do you stand with her? Don't lie to yourself here. Do you honestly think you might have a chance with her, or are you just friends? If you don't have a chance, do other things. Don't let yourself go crazy over something that won't happen. If she's giving you signs, focus your energy (lol) on being the most attractive you possible. Here's where people get it wrong. Some people will tell you to just be yourself. Sure, be yourself, but don't be an irritated, sarcastic, needy you. Be yourself but be funny (if you can), charming (if you can), make eye contact (not weirdly!), and just remember to have fun. Ok, so i took this in a different direction than you asked, but maybe there's some advice hidden in the ramblings.

If there's an actual chance for you to be with her, go for it. It's cliche to say, but if it doesn't work out then it wasn't supposed to. If you're just too far away to make it work with her, just cultivate your friendship and leave it with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.