• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Advice thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

evolutionrex

The Awesome Atheist
For writers block, you need to do story summary, before you start writing your actual piece, summarize the entire plot beginning to end without details, just main points. You'll have an easier time when it comes time to putting in the details & writing the actual story. As far as keeping interest, that's something you need to work on your own, stop being indecisive about things and finish things as quickly as possible, the longer you lag or procrastinate the more bored you will become with it and soon you'll throw it away all together.
Also you can't suddenly trash one idea because a better one came out, finish the old idea then work on your new one and compare, unless your old idea is truly going nowhere.
I see what your saying but i do sort of make a summary first. I make my own version of a time-line which works great and keeps my writing organized but i find a pothole and i want to change the story and then i find myself changing the whole story all together and i give up and start over with a newer idea, but the process repeats. Even if i do try to finish my original idea and then work on a better version and compare, i get almost paranoid trying to write the original idea knowing that there are problems with it.

But, I'll take your advice and talk in Author's Cafe.

Waterpokes

Something I've been wondering about, is prom (sorta alike). I'm from Norway, so it's a winter ball or new year ball or something like that, but I'll just call it prom because it's sorta alike, I think.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if I should go or not. My sisters has gone to it, and they said it was fun and it only happens once, at least during their whole school experience. It might only be this one time, and this is kinda like the biggest event at my school. But the problem for me, is that should I go or not? Money ain't a problem, but the problem is that this is very social and I'm not this social person, so I don't want to be all alone at that ball. Maybe some of my friends will be there, but I don't want to be the odd man out.

If I don't go, then people will see me as this anti-social guy or at least see me as the boring guy, that is distancing himself from others. That's at least what people I know, see this as. I wouldn't really care if somebody didn't go to it because if you did, then you have a reason for it. But the people I know, sees you as this boring guy and anti social guy, so excuses ain't tolerated unless you're badly hurt from an injury or something.

So should I go? I'm kinda on the edge, and even though this is event happens at the 15th Decemeber, I think, we need to sign in 20th November. I still got time to think, but I'm unsure for now. So anybody got any thoughts?

Empoleon Bonaparte

Something I've been wondering about, is prom (sorta alike). I'm from Norway, so it's a winter ball or new year ball or something like that, but I'll just call it prom because it's sorta alike, I think.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if I should go or not. My sisters has gone to it, and they said it was fun and it only happens once, at least during their whole school experience. It might only be this one time, and this is kinda like the biggest event at my school. But the problem for me, is that should I go or not? Money ain't a problem, but the problem is that this is very social and I'm not this social person, so I don't want to be all alone at that ball. Maybe some of my friends will be there, but I don't want to be the odd man out.

If I don't go, then people will see me as this anti-social guy or at least see me as the boring guy, that is distancing himself from others. That's at least what people I know, see this as. I wouldn't really care if somebody didn't go to it because if you did, then you have a reason for it. But the people I know, sees you as this boring guy and anti social guy, so excuses ain't tolerated unless you're badly hurt from an injury or something.

So should I go? I'm kinda on the edge, and even though this is event happens at the 15th Decemeber, I think, we need to sign in 20th November. I still got time to think, but I'm unsure for now. So anybody got any thoughts?

If you wanna break the barrier of being 'that anti-social guy', you should just go and at least try to have a good time. Talk to your friends, maybe talk to some people you don't see that often.

It's a better option than staying home and really be known as that one guy.

Profesco

gone gently
@Waterpokes: Or, don't let what other people think of you control your actions. If you are uncomfortable at such events, don't go. There's nothing wrong with not being a social butterfly. You decide who you are, not other people.

abraxas

Words.
@Waterpokes: Or, don't let what other people think of you control your actions. If you are uncomfortable at such events, don't go. There's nothing wrong with not being a social butterfly. You decide who you are, not other people.

This is most likely the best advice for your situation. Big social events such as that were never my thing, but I got talked into going to my senior prom by friends. I can't dance, so that killed the vast part of the whole event, and I was bored out of my mind the entire time. I wasn't even entertained by the choice in music.
Long story short: If you feel that it's not really your thing, don't go. Chances are, you won't end up enjoying yourself.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Well, I'm back with more career questions.

So, right now I'm in a business major.. but I'm pretty interested in Psychology. I think I have been my whole life. The problem is that I don't necessarily want to go to graduate school (at least right away), but job prospects for people who graduate with just a Psychology Bachelor's isn't.. promising to say the least (albeit I'd have a minor).

So, the problem is.. do I major in something I legitimately like and live like an average dude doing a job that probably isn't even related? Or do I get money in a degree I'm sorta okay with, and then try to go back to school for maybe something Psychology related then (if that's possible, anyway)?

abraxas

Words.
Well, I'm back with more career questions.

So, right now I'm in a business major.. but I'm pretty interested in Psychology. I think I have been my whole life. The problem is that I don't necessarily want to go to graduate school (at least right away), but job prospects for people who graduate with just a Psychology Bachelor's isn't.. promising to say the least (albeit I'd have a minor).

So, the problem is.. do I major in something I legitimately like and live like an average dude doing a job that probably isn't even related? Or do I get money in a degree I'm sorta okay with, and then try to go back to school for maybe something Psychology related then (if that's possible, anyway)?

Have you ever looked into Business Psychology? Maybe there could be some sort of middle ground there.
On that note, this would all come down to you, and your goals. You need to weigh your options, work out how long each path would take, and what seems more reasonable.
That being said, in my case, I was majoring in MLT (Medical Lab Technician), and I was ok with it, and I was good at it, but in the end, it didn't fit me. I changed majors to something I really felt fit me, and I've been rather happy with my decision, even if in the end, I don't make as much money as I would have had I become a lab tech.
It's a tough call, that's no lie. =\

Profesco

gone gently

Are you sure? Psychology Today runs a blurb on the back cover saying that three of the world's fastest-growing professions are in the field of psychology. I'm majoring in it right now, myself, and I've looked into things in my area and have found out that with a Bachelor's in Psych, you can be highered as a counselor. The starting pay I saw advertised was around $18 an hour, lol. :p

If it were me, I'd devote my time and attention to the thing that interests and satisfies me most. Money's important, but it can come from a variety of places. Your career is going to be at least half of your entire life, GhostAnime; it's how you'll spend most of your time and probably the conduit through which you'll do things to affect the world around you, especially in psych careers where the common objective is helping people. For something so important in your life, you'll need to make sure it's a job you can do day in and day out and be satisfied and rewarded by it.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Are you sure? Psychology Today runs a blurb on the back cover saying that three of the world's fastest-growing professions are in the field of psychology. I'm majoring in it right now, myself, and I've looked into things in my area and have found out that with a Bachelor's in Psych, you can be highered as a counselor. The starting pay I saw advertised was around $18 an hour, lol. :p
With JUST a Bachelor's.. ? A counselor where? I've heard different stories... (heard, that is, from some social media sites)

If it were me, I'd devote my time and attention to the thing that interests and satisfies me most. Money's important, but it can come from a variety of places. Your career is going to be at least half of your entire life, GhostAnime; it's how you'll spend most of your time and probably the conduit through which you'll do things to affect the world around you, especially in psych careers where the common objective is helping people. For something so important in your life, you'll need to make sure it's a job you can do day in and day out and be satisfied and rewarded by it.
Eh, I suppose that's true, but the problem is that I know nothing about half of these jobs anyway!

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
With JUST a Bachelor's.. ? A counselor where? I've heard different stories... (heard, that is, from some social media sites)

Actually, you don't have to have any kind of degree to be a counselor. It's good to have credentials, but... Well, you have to have schooling to be a psychologist, anyway.

Eh, I suppose that's true, but the problem is that I know nothing about half of these jobs anyway!

Then start researching! Honestly, there are more opportunities than you think there are. I think you should go with Psych. The truth is, most people don't even end up going into what they studied in college. It's better to just study what you enjoy.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
What kind of counselor are we talking about though? If you don't even need a degree..

Hakajin said:
Then start researching! Honestly, there are more opportunities than you think there are. I think you should go with Psych. The truth is, most people don't even end up going into what they studied in college. It's better to just study what you enjoy.
I have. Researching isn't always the same as doing the actual job, though. I hear multiple position after multiple position and honestly, I don't know if I can equate what I enjoy learning with what I enjoy actually doing.

natie

Mr. F
With JUST a Bachelor's.. ?
Well, I suppose that is because lots of people who study psychology fail miserably (rhethorical question: would that be a litotes?), so they probably want to make sure at least some jobs get filled. :p

At almost every point in the school year (unless I have recently obtained a really addictive new game) I seem to have a creeping feeling that there is something I should be doing for school and I can't seem to relax at all, even after repeatedly reviewing my binder and confirming that I don't have any homework or things like that to do. More often than not, as soon as I get a homework assignment that I have the means to finish at that time, I will make finishing it my first priority, even if it's not due in over a week; I always try finishing every homework assignment early so I won't have to worry about them later, so why is it that I STILL end up with that accursed feeling that I need to do homework even when there is no homework to be done?

It's Thanksgiving Break and I only have about 40 minutes worth of homework left to do for the entire week, but I still can't stop telling myself there is more than that.

intergalactic platypus

Only rescues maidens
At almost every point in the school year (unless I have recently obtained a really addictive new game) I seem to have a creeping feeling that there is something I should be doing for school and I can't seem to relax at all, even after repeatedly reviewing my binder and confirming that I don't have any homework or things like that to do. More often than not, as soon as I get a homework assignment that I have the means to finish at that time, I will make finishing it my first priority, even if it's not due in over a week; I always try finishing every homework assignment early so I won't have to worry about them later, so why is it that I STILL end up with that accursed feeling that I need to do homework even when there is no homework to be done?

It's Thanksgiving Break and I only have about 40 minutes worth of homework left to do for the entire week, but I still can't stop telling myself there is more than that.
You're probably just full of random anxiety. I get like that a lot. There's something called Triangle Breathing that helps me a lot. It's when you breath in for 10 seconds, hold it for ten seconds, and breathe out for 10 seconds. It stops adrenaline rushes and naturally calms you

Krake

Flabebe's Kids
I've kinda hit a dilemma. I've noticed that I've been bringing up my secret a lot with people. The thing is though, I feel that I need to get it off my chest, but at the same time, if I do tell people, it would change a lot of people's perception of me because they will probably draw the wrong conclusions from it.

I don't have a problem telling my friends (the only times I've brought it up are amonst friends) since they'd probably be a bit more open-minded about it, but I'm not sure if it's exactly something that I would want to bring up at the same time.

What should I do?

natie

Mr. F

Just stop thinking about school and play some video games/post sh​it on here. You won't remember anything about any kind of homework anymore (this of course requires you to study and work before you start gaming/spamming, but I think you figured that out already).

Dattebayo

Banned
pkmnhippy is accusing me of being gay after looking at a drawing at Danbooru without realizing that it's genderswap fanart according to the tags. I kept telling her that I'm straight and it was just an accident, but then she says I'm in denial and I am indeed gay. What should I do to make her stop telling me that I'm gay in denial?

Empoleon Bonaparte

pkmnhippy is accusing me of being gay after looking at a drawing at Danbooru without realizing that it's genderswap fanart according to the tags. I kept telling her that I'm straight and it was just an accident, but then she says I'm in denial and I am indeed gay. What should I do to make her stop telling me that I'm gay in denial?

Accept your true fate.

Status
Not open for further replies.