• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Aegislash Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDanger

True.

Are there any true hard counters to this guy in OU?

Back on topic, aegislash's unpredictability makes it hard to check, while a special based mixed set can be walled by tanks such as goodra, goodra has trouble stopping swords dance aegislash, and the same is reversed for landorus therian. As i said above, mandibuzz is aegislash's only true counter, resisting shadow sneak, shadow ball, and with its physical defensive set, doesn't take a lot from sacred sword, while aegislash is 2hkoed in shield mode, iirc, by foul play, OHKOed if it swords dances, and can roost to heal off damage, tho it makes it more vulnerable to sacred sword due to it losing its flying typing.

Most people have been good, but i`m saying this now, stay on topic, and don't make 1 sentence posts, they serve no real purpose and don't really contribute to the thread, I don'i want to see any more of them.

ghost_dog97

the sweeper
aegislash can be very unpredictable until it uses its first move. Unless it has like shadow ball AND shadow claw (which defeats the competitive purpose) you will have a tough time countering it

Ze DreamGirl

Future Vaporeon
Ok I am making a Team for battle maison and I plan to have a Greninja...someone here told me that an Aegislash was a good team mate for it but I'm hesitant about the moveset...Physical or Mixed ?

SoundofMadness

Speed Kills
I personally prefer mixed, as it's harder to check. The set you want to run will really depend on what your team is lacking.

Been messing with Automotize / Weakenss Policy...jury is still out on it :)

Ze DreamGirl

Future Vaporeon
Well I don't really have a fixed team for the moment I bred a quadruple flawless Protean Froakie yesterday and wanted to use it for battle Maison and on Wifi...but I don't know what else to put in my future team....

NBP

Been messing with Automotize / Weakenss Policy...jury is still out on it :)

That sounds deadly! I might try Weakness Policy Aegislash for myself.

As for mine, I keep Malmar with it and throw in a Trick Room. Malmar's attacks and Aegislash's Sword Dances go first most of the time (due to boths' rather low speed) and Malmar throws out some attacks to keep the battle occupied. I really don't mind losing Malmar after the point that the Trick Room has been launched and at least one Swords Dance has been used. Between Shadow Sneak (Which with STAB already has a base 60) and Sacred Sword (Although I am considering bringing back Iron Head) anyone can put this OU monster to good use.

Kitsuneko

I wonder if Mega/Kangaskhan can potentially check it. It'll be immune to shadow sneak and if you predict right, it can die to a sucker punch or crunch (if you're faster). Or maybe an earthquake for those that don't want to risk a contact move and for breaking through subs.

Kitsuneko

I guess if you can't really face it out right, then the next best thing is to probably cripple it with status or trick a choice scarf onto it when they're not expecting it.

Might be a stupid suggestion, but what about Pyroar? Being a normal/fire type, it'd be immune and resistant to its stabs. Noble roar can drop both its attack and sp attack stats. It can yawn it to switch out and can flamethrower/fire blast it away without making contact. Yeah I know, it can die to sacred sword too.

Pyroar could work, but Pyroar is too niche in general to be of any help outside checking Aegislash.

My best check for it (in Pokebank) is Heatran. It can come in on most moves and scare it off with Fire Blast.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Pyroar could work, but Pyroar is too niche in general to be of any help outside checking Aegislash.

My best check for it (in Pokebank) is Heatran. It can come in on most moves and scare it off with Fire Blast.

Heatran naturally outspeeds, is barely even 3HKO'd by +6 Shadow Sneak, and can OHKO in Sword Forme with Fire Blast (2HKO in Shield Forme I believe), burn it with Will-O-Wisp, or just Roar it away. Definitely one of the most solid if not THE most solid check to Aegislash out there.

Oh, and he's far from total deadweight outside of checking Aegislash, since he also counters Talonflame and puts a hurt on MegaZard-Y, as well as carrying useful utility moves like Stealth Rock, Roar, etc.

Heatran naturally outspeeds, is barely even 3HKO'd by +6 Shadow Sneak, and can OHKO in Sword Forme with Fire Blast (2HKO in Shield Forme I believe), burn it with Will-O-Wisp, or just Roar it away. Definitely one of the most solid if not THE most solid check to Aegislash out there.

Oh, and he's far from total deadweight outside of checking Aegislash, since he also counters Talonflame and puts a hurt on MegaZard-Y, as well as carrying useful utility moves like Stealth Rock, Roar, etc.

252+ SpA Heatran Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD (custom): 278-330 (91.44 - 108.55%) -- 81.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Even in Shield Form it tends to OHKO.

To be fair, a calc against Sacred Sword would be better for that, because it would have to come in on that.

252+ Atk (custom) Sacred Sword vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 228-270 (70.58 - 83.59%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Not bad whatsoever.

NBP

The one thing that I regret about Aegislash is its status weakness, as Will-o-Wisp will go right through a King's Shield and ultimately ruin everything. With Sacred Sword Kangashkan and Pyroar aren't [as] threatening as normal, which is why I am so on the fence about changing. I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it right?

ghost_dog97

the sweeper
The one thing that I regret about Aegislash is its status weakness, as Will-o-Wisp will go right through a King's Shield and ultimately ruin everything. With Sacred Sword Kangashkan and Pyroar aren't [as] threatening as normal, which is why I am so on the fence about changing. I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it right?

this is exactly why I brought up sableye earlier in the post... BUT... if its a special/mixed, will-o-wisp wouldn't harm a fly

Primeguy

Veteran Trainer
Too many people use physically offensive aegislash's, usually brave with 0 speed iv's and gyroball. Its pretty predictable what my opponent's aegislash will be, so im currently working on a special attacking one. May not be the best idea and a total waste of my time but im thinking one with a modest/timid nature that knows shadowball, flash cannon, metal sound, and kings shield(Doubles) paired up with something that can support it with tailwind. For single's id replace kings shield with automize and metal sound with hidden power ground.

Last edited:

Zachmac

this is exactly why I brought up sableye earlier in the post... BUT... if its a special/mixed, will-o-wisp wouldn't harm a fly
Actually, this is true. Will-o-Wisp is not a reliable way of getting rid of Aegislash.

I usually find myself facing mixed Aegislashes, and while Will-o-Wisp hinders their durability, their Shadow Balls still do tons of damage. You want something that can smash through it's defense without being ruined by Shadow Sneak. Specs Hydreigon, for example, is a reliable check with STAB Dark Pulse.

252 SpA Choice Specs Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 270-318 (83.3 - 98.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 234-276 (72.2 - 85.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It only needs a little bit of prior damage to get the job done. Dark types in general should give it trouble so long as they avoid Sacred Sword. Relatively bulky wall breakers work as well. I had used a Band Chomp before, and that usually broke through it's defenses in shield form and managed to tank a Shadow Sneak if slash decided to do so.

It's a difficult pokemon to truly counter, however, thanks to it's huge attack/special attack.

ghost_dog97

the sweeper
Actually, this is true. Will-o-Wisp is not a reliable way of getting rid of Aegislash.

I usually find myself facing mixed Aegislashes, and while Will-o-Wisp hinders their durability, their Shadow Balls still do tons of damage. You want something that can smash through it's defense without being ruined by Shadow Sneak. Specs Hydreigon, for example, is a reliable check with STAB Dark Pulse.

252 SpA Choice Specs Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 270-318 (83.3 - 98.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 234-276 (72.2 - 85.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It only needs a little bit of prior damage to get the job done. Dark types in general should give it trouble so long as they avoid Sacred Sword. Relatively bulky wall breakers work as well. I had used a Band Chomp before, and that usually broke through it's defenses in shield form and managed to tank a Shadow Sneak if slash decided to do so.

It's a difficult pokemon to truly counter, however, thanks to it's huge attack/special attack.

since hydreigon is my favorite pokemon, im gonna have to agree with you on this...
BUT what if the aegislash is holding weakness policy and is sporting sacred sword? hydreigon would NOT be able to withstand a super effective sacred sword

Zachmac

since hydreigon is my favorite pokemon, im gonna have to agree with you on this...
BUT what if the aegislash is holding weakness policy and is sporting sacred sword? hydreigon would NOT be able to withstand a super effective sacred sword
It wouldn't want to tank secret sword anyway.

The trick is you make it take a little prior damage. Hurt in the swap in or something, maybe set up some spikes. Then Hydreigon could finish the job. It's pretty difficult to OHKO in shield form.

ghost_dog97

the sweeper
you make an interesting point in this... hmm, the only counter (which you all know) to aegislash is mandibuzz, so with those attack boosts along with the kings shield secondary effect, mandibuzz should be able to ohko aegislash in both forms effectively with foul play

Zachmac

you make an interesting point in this... hmm, the only counter (which you all know) to aegislash is mandibuzz, so with those attack boosts along with the kings shield secondary effect, mandibuzz should be able to ohko aegislash in both forms effectively with foul play
It can't OHKO in shield form, most likely, since it's shield form has horrendous attack, but Mandibuzz should probably be able to handle 'Slash just find.

+2 0 Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 266-314 (82 - 96.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 222-262 (52.3 - 61.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mandibuzz: 218-257 (51.4 - 60.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Not perfect, but I think we can say that Mandibuzz is a reliable answer to 'Slash. Also, I was too lazy to calc without leftovers.

Last edited:

ghost_dog97

the sweeper
It can't OHKO in shield form, most likely, since it's shield form has horrendous attack, but Mandibuzz should probably be able to handle 'Slash just find.

+2 0 Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 266-314 (82 - 96.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 222-262 (52.3 - 61.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mandibuzz: 218-257 (51.4 - 60.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Not perfect, but I think we can say that Mandibuzz is a reliable answer to 'Slash. Also, I was too lazy to calc without leftovers.

with the attack boosts, aegislash's shield forme can still have enough attack for foul play to do massive damage. And for all you trolls out there, pack defog on it just in case

Status
Not open for further replies.