• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Afro Samurai

Leon Phelps

Don't Tread on Me
Main site (For more info)

Yes, there is actually a reason to watch Spike TV, Samurai X can move over because Mr. Snakes on a Plane Himself stars in the new anime Afro Samurai. Actually Afro doesn't talk that much so there isn't as much yelling.

Anyways, this show is ballin'. The choreography and animation is top notch, courtesy of Gonzo. Sadly, I don't think that it has been advertised much outside of Spike so I'm just throwing it out here hoping it will turn some heads.

Discuss.

The Afro Samurai is a beast. Like, Kenshin level overpowered samurai dude.

Leon Phelps

Don't Tread on Me
Unlike Kenshin, he's a beast with more than a few frames of animation though. You actually see more than lines flashing across the screen.

VDknuckles

Tortoises pwnz you!
The show's gorgeous, really top notch animation. Not really a fan of the decapitation, but that's really just personal preference. The only fault I see is that the story so far leaves a little to be desired. The animation more than makes up for it though. To bad it's only five episodes, I'd love for the series to be expanded upon.

-VDK

Last edited:
it's voiced by Samual motherfucking Jackson(even in the japanese verison for you damn japanophiles)

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
it's voiced by Samual motherfucking Jackson(even in the japanese verison for you damn japanophiles)

woah! 0_0 I didn't know Jackson spoke Japanese. Does there happen to be a clip anywhere? I just gotta listen to that.

Samuel is a good actor and he's one bad-ss mothaf-cka. But, Afro Samurai kinda sucks. Cliche plot with no depth; it takes itself too seriously when you have a samurai with an afro; all of the VA's (except Samuel, he's actually okay) kinda suck, and so does the dialogue; all of that really brings it down. Although the theme song and animation is really top notch sh-t, but that's really the only thing good about it.

woah! 0_0 I didn't know Jackson spoke Japanese. Does there happen to be a clip anywhere? I just gotta listen to that.

He doesn't. He speak english and the japanese have subtiles whenever he speaks.

theboar

Entei is Entei!
Before this show is aired, I was prepared but I lost track of time.

Is there a repeat for this show?

Leon Phelps

Don't Tread on Me
Samuel is a good actor and he's one bad-ss mothaf-cka. But, Afro Samurai kinda sucks. Cliche plot with no depth; it takes itself too seriously when you have a samurai with an afro; all of the VA's (except Samuel, he's actually okay) kinda suck, and so does the dialogue; all of that really brings it down. Although the theme song and animation is really top notch sh-t, but that's really the only thing good about it.
Yes, the plot is mediocre, that's why it only has five episodes because they can't keep something with that premise going on for too long. Makes me wonder how Zatch Bell did it. Anywho, it isn't meant to be taken seriously, it's just for entertainment and kick-*** fight sequences.

HK

Radiance of Shadows
Afro Samurai shows everything that's wrong with anime, both in its content and its perception (which the content is reflected as) over here in the United States. See, I like style over substance shows, but types like Black Lagoon actually do have substance to them to back 'em up. Afro Samurai has... voice-acting... slick animation... and that's honestly it.

Watched the first episode, won't be watching more than that.

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
He doesn't. He speak english and the japanese have subtiles whenever he speaks.

this goes for both Afro and Ninjaninja, right? What about Afro as a child (not voiced by Jackson), or his father (logically, the only reason he should be speaking English)? I take it the other characters make no attempt to speak his language and everyone just conveniently has no problem communicating, right?

this goes for both Afro and Ninjaninja, right? What about Afro as a child (not voiced by Jackson), or his father (logically, the only reason he should be speaking English)? I take it the other characters make no attempt to speak his language and everyone just conveniently has no problem communicating, right?

I don't know about the other characters, but what i've read in a interview for the guy who is the producer(i believe, and not director) to the anime, he said Sam J does english speaking with japanese subtitles in the japanese one. That's all I know.

The show's gorgeous, really top notch animation. Not really a fan of the decapitation, but that's really just personal preference. The only fault I see is that the story so far leaves a little to be desired. The animation more than makes up for it though. To bad it's only five episodes, I'd love for the series to be expanded upon.

-VDK

I'm not a fan of sensless fighting either,but this show looks average. is this show made by the guy who made the boondocks? just checkin.

MugenKeiji

THERE'S NO $50 HERE!
I'm not a fan of sensless fighting either,but this show looks average. is this show made by the guy who made the boondocks? just checkin.

No, it is not.

Afro Samurai was a Doujinshi in Japan back in 1999.

Boondocks originates from the mind of a Chicago-born scholar.

Also I believe Afro Samurai actually was handled by a Japanese studio, unlike Boondocks.

Me? I haven't seen the show, nor was I aware that it aired.

Mimori Kiryu

So Afro Samurai is Japanese? Hmm. Didn't realize that when I saw the preview this afternoon. Doesn't look deep enough in storyplot or good animation. Meh. I may watch it.